It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NERDGASM!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   
So next week I'm getting my Star Trek fix.

I just ordered a DVD set of Star Trek comics in PDF format. The DVD set includes all Star Trek comics from 1967 to 2002, which is over 500 issues worth. I got it for a total of fifteen dollars on Amazon. That includes S&H.

I'm having me a NERDGASM!

Please don't take this to be a spam, it is not intended to be.

I've always enjoyed reading comics. I also used to be a prolific reader and would read anything that peaked my interest whether or not it was a comic or a novel. I enjoyed the stories and in comics enjoyed some of the artwork. To me the only real difference between a comic and a novel is that it is more visual because it is illustrated rather than described by text. They can also be quite intelligent at times. I really don't understand the stigma that reading comics has with it, but I have heard the poor excuses a number of times over the years. I just can't buy them.

I was such a prolific reader that I could read Stephen King's "It" in just about six hours straight, with only taking a break to go to the bathroom.

As far as Star Trek comics go, I've always enjoyed DC more than any other. To me, DC Comics captured the theme of what Star Trek is more than any other. I liked the stories in other comics, but they just didn't really capture the feel of Star Trek.

I also appreciated the fact that in DC's first run they always tied in the comic story to the movie, and would always reset things so they could tie it to the movie in some way. Even with that though, I never really considered the comics part of the television continuity, I just liked the stories and really just couldn't get enough Star Trek.

But alas, I really don't read comics that much anymore. They're really expensive these days, and they don't really have to be.

Ah well, things change.

But at least now I'll have my complete collection of STAR TREK COMICS!

YEEEEEEAH BABY!

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   
nice 1, I wonder if they'll ever do the original transfromers comics, those were my regular treat in my younger years.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Congratulations!

I teach first grade, and I use comic books. My kids, especially the boys, love it. They don't even know they're reading...although they are.

It might interest you to know that reading a comic book (or graphic novel) takes more reading skill than reading the average childrens book. That's because the print is all over the panel, is different fonts, sizes, and sometimes bold. Also, you have to be able to infer because the dialogue doesn't convey everything necessary to comprehend....you need to understand the picture and how it relates with the text.

Enjoy reading your comics!

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by EvilSadamClone

I don't do comics, but I'm happy that you're happy.

Fifteen bucks seems like a deal for all of them. As a trekker, I'm kicking this around.
edit on 8/23/2012 by aaaiii because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

Yeah, that's one of the differences in reading a comic and reading a book. The different fonts are meant to inflect a different inflection in their voice, such as raising a voice when getting upset, or when shouting, or when you just want to place emphasis. Sometimes a single punctuation mark, such as an exclamation point, will be used instead of words to indicate surprise or confusion.

In reading a novel, you have to describe how a person expresses themselves.

For a quick example:

"That's really not necessary," she said, rather impatiently.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by EvilSadamClone

And that's exactly why it makes such a wonderful teaching tool.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   
That's awesome man! I didn't know they sold .pdf comics.. kinda odd.

Anyway, to the guy up there that asked about transformers... well.. if you wanna read them on your computer/tablet, you can pretty much download any comic ever made if you look in the right spots ;]

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
I am also having a nerdgasm. I've been having one for a solid week now.
Droped 1300 on computer parts, and im just waiting for them to ship now.
I was hoping to get the parts before the weekend, but apparently ncix can take some time to ship it
. boo. I want it now

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl
Congratulations!

I teach first grade, and I use comic books. My kids, especially the boys, love it. They don't even know they're reading...although they are.

It might interest you to know that reading a comic book (or graphic novel) takes more reading skill than reading the average childrens book. That's because the print is all over the panel, is different fonts, sizes, and sometimes bold. Also, you have to be able to infer because the dialogue doesn't convey everything necessary to comprehend....you need to understand the picture and how it relates with the text.

Enjoy reading your comics!

I had a good mother who filled my weekends with comics (about 1960) and I could read when I started school. The downside was the teachers would have me read to the whole class

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 12:08 AM
link   
i reccomend... a slate or tablet PC
with

comicrack.cyolito.com...

and then find .cbr files of any oif your fave's (:

new topics

top topics

join