It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

i really have a problem with...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   
All of this "Prophet" garbage.

Yes its quite exciting to hear that there is new poster claiming to be God and what have you, but quite frankly im tired of reading their posts and not being able to read the actual threads, that actual users are here to read and get information and/or help on. As i do enjoy slamming the proverbial prophet every once and a while its begun to become quite annoying.

Im sure for the most part everyone else here is quite content with where the "Prophets" stand because they actually do not hold any water here, yet i do see them surfacing a lot quite recently and they continue to get more and more Stars and Flags...Why is that? do people actually enjoy these threads of "Doom and Gloom", and "Praise Me or God Will Hate You"?

Yes i am fairly new here, but ive been a long time lurker. For about three years now and i have seen very many of these, but in recent months, it seems as though EVERY new member is either the 2nd coming of Jesus, an Archangel, or THE GOD!

Does anyone know how ridiculous that even sounds? WHY IN THE NAME OF MOTHER NATURE'S DAMNED APPLES WOULD A PROPHET BE ON ATS???!!!?

is it to spread the love and joy and the word of God?
or is it to tell of Jesus' second coming?

NO! its to further instill fear into the hearts of the people whom happen to half-heartedly believe in them, and tell of a future where humans were wiped out in a huge explosion.

Aren't you supposed to stop this crap from happening MODS? or is there a strict conduct that you have to abide by that constricts you from deleting a post of just garble? Not attacking, id just honestly like to know why you guys cannot just trash some of this stuff immediately.

Sorry if i lost my cool im just sick and tired of this deceptive bullcrap, and i believe that some of this correlates to a God complex that so many see on television.

This stuff just needs to stop, even if some people may have a few of the answers, they only lead to more questions that need answering.

Also, I do admit i have fallen for quite a few. Some are just so believable that I cannot just sit idly by and let that person speak of something of which they either believe to have unlimited knowledge about, or have knowledge that have previously experienced in my personal life. We are all on the quest for knowledge here, and there are just too many posers to count recently. Im just going to ignore the next one and see how it pans out. Who knows maybe one or two newer one's may turn out to actually be a "Prophet", but that is VERY unlikely.

Everyone wants to be God, yet no one knows how to act even as a human. Thanks for the vent.
Mike

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I agree. I'm tired of all these posers so will the real Slim Shady please stand up, please stand up?

Sorry...I couldn't resist.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Prophets need an audience, and any audience will do.

That's why.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by PsyMike91

Mike, I agree with a good portion of what you expressed. But, the fact of the matter is, ATS is an open, public forum. All the Jesus, Angel, God wanna be's can pretty much post what they want. I do see a lot of *those* threads end up in the hoax bin, especially after their current doom time date passes. So, the MODS are doing a good job in keeping *those* threads under control.

What irks me, are the follow their leader, entourage sign-ons to ATS, that seem to follow these self proclaimed prophets from one website to the next. It all appears so cult-ish to me. Kinda creepy actually. They swoon at every vague new age-ish post by their worshiped leader.They cry and beat their breasts in anguish, at anyone who dares to question their leader. As if *deny ignorance* were not the motto of ATS.

I expect to see more new self appointed *chosen* ones, flocking to ATS as the end of 2012 approaches. Some, I must admit, are quite funny and entertaining....

Go with the flow Mike.....those threads are not worth getting a gut twist over...

Des

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Isn't there a prediction and Prophecy section on here? What should go into that section? Do you have to read that section?

Let us know who is forcing you so someone can help.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   
I admit that I’ll read them for a chuckle but my issue isn’t so much as they let it happen than the publicity and defense they get.. I realize that the Gray Area forum is for stories such as those and it is a place where they wont close the thread as a hoax immediately. That in and of itself is fine it is the precedent set by other posters that bothers me. Most of the time when you question or ask for any type of proof you are waylaid by defenders of the thread over your skepticism. Over the years I’ve picked up on ,and I’m sure many of you have as well, many cues that would indicate deception at the very get go. Although, they are not always accurate they serve as a good springboard.

Now you may ask what the harm is or to tell me or anyone else simply not to read the thread. That is fine for us. It is not ok for the many who will still read it and “want “ to believe or may be a bit more gullible. Most if not all of the threads here are basically harmless. Though, I want those who just say they believe to the poster or who condemn those who question them to say that to the 80 year old woman who just lost her savings because she “just “ believed someone’s story. You may say it can’t happen to you but that is where they get you; where you are the weakest. The things you have a soft spot for or want to believe in are where you will get caught. People who have lost a lot would probably give anything to have had a skeptic come along and say this doesn’t make sense. Yet these types of threads encourage ignoring such skepticism so that even if someone came along these people may choose to ignore it based on past experience. I’ve seen such tragedies happen to good people.

I realize that in the realm of spiritual matters and personal experiences there are many times when proof isn’t available. Yet, when the story does not make sense you can tell when someone is just trying to pull the leg of the crowd or to get a reaction. There is nothing wrong with being open minded and giving the person the benefit of the doubt. Just don’t criticize “healthy skepticism”. It can be a valuable learning experience for another reader. If you are going to start a thread defend your point , be open that maybe just maybe your first belief of what happened isn’t the right one otherwise what’s the point besides saying please believe me. I’ve been meaning to do a thread on the subtle cues and tricks used; maybe one day.

edit on 23-8-2012 by DetectiveT because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Mike...the thread you started this rant over, just exploded. The OP has fallen off the edge of the cliff...no parachute in sight. I knew he was at some mental breaking point, but he got there faster than I thought he would.

Des

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Let God be true and every man a liar.

The internet is filled with people claiming to be this or that, so you've got to be careful.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by PsyMike91

WHY IN THE NAME OF MOTHER NATURE'S DAMNED APPLES WOULD A PROPHET BE ON ATS???!!!?

Because ATS is the best resource I have for my (soon to be made) prophesies.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by DetectiveT
I admit that I’ll read them for a chuckle but my issue isn’t so much as they let it happen than the publicity and defense they get.. I realize that the Gray Area forum is for stories such as those and it is a place where they wont close the thread as a hoax immediately. That in and of itself is fine it is the precedent set by other posters that bothers me. Most of the time when you question or ask for any type of proof you are waylaid by defenders of the thread over your skepticism. Over the years I’ve picked up on ,and I’m sure many of you have as well, many cues that would indicate deception at the very get go. Although, they are not always accurate they serve as a good springboard.

Now you may ask what the harm is or to tell me or anyone else simply not to read the thread. That is fine for us. It is not ok for the many who will still read it and “want “ to believe or may be a bit more gullible. Most if not all of the threads here are basically harmless. Though, I want those who just say they believe to the poster or who condemn those who question them to say that to the 80 year old woman who just lost her savings because she “just “ believed someone’s story. You may say it can’t happen to you but that is where they get you; where you are the weakest. The things you have a soft spot for or want to believe in are where you will get caught. People who have lost a lot would probably give anything to have had a skeptic come along and say this doesn’t make sense. Yet these types of threads encourage ignoring such skepticism so that even if someone came along these people may choose to ignore it based on past experience. I’ve seen such tragedies happen to good people.

I realize that in the realm of spiritual matters and personal experiences there are many times when proof isn’t available. Yet, when the story does not make sense you can tell when someone is just trying to pull the leg of the crowd or to get a reaction. There is nothing wrong with being open minded and giving the person the benefit of the doubt. Just don’t criticize “healthy skepticism”. It can be a valuable learning experience for another reader. If you are going to start a thread defend your point , be open that maybe just maybe your first belief of what happened isn’t the right one otherwise what’s the point besides saying please believe me. I’ve been meaning to do a thread on the subtle cues and tricks used; maybe one day.

So you wish to protect the Gullible on the internet by controlling content or placement, even though it seems in the correct place.

As far as prophecy or prediction no proof can be had so it is all about waiting to see if it prove false as pretty much all do. There is no "defending" the prophecy.

What you are saying is if you go to a palm reader, hassle her and laugh in her face as you go have her read your palm. It is your decision to be there have a little respect for anthers view or don't go there.

It is up to the 80 year old to control her finances as we do my husbands father at 94.

you say "a lot would probably give anything to have had a skeptic come along and say this doesn’t make sense. "

You know at least half each thread are the skeptics saying just that. Nagging actually.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   
You know, I haven't been participating in the most recent thread in question, but I've been reading and keeping up on it. At first I thought that maybe the person means well and that most of what he/she was saying could be read in any number of books related to the topic so no harm, no foul. But now I'm starting to think that this person may be going over the edge! All of that "game" talk and "I AM" stuff is getting WAY out there!

I think maybe they need to step away from the electronic box, have a snack and go take a good long nap!

Must be the season for "prophets" on ATS. I guess it happens when the kids go back to school. Spending so much money on back to school clothes and supplies must be putting some people over the edge!

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee

I didn’t say anything about controlling content. If anything I want more content that allows for questioning. I said nothing of ridicule and I thought my healthy skepticism comment would have covered that. Coming into a thread and calling someone a liar or stupid then leaving is pointless . I don’t encourage that but if a person has good reasons and questions the story presented that should be ok and not ignored or suffer from reverse ridicule.

I’ll give examples of what I mean:
Let’s say someone met someone on the street who they whole heartedly believed was an alien because the man had given up a good story. This man now wanted them to give him all the valuables he had on him now and empty his bank account because he could not belong to the alien civilization with it. Now I’m walking down the street and I overhear this conversation and I say to the man wait a second:

This guy isn’t an alien because:
A) His name is Joe. I know his mother and he works as a cook. He’s been in prison for fraud.
B) He told you he was from an alien race but he thought Earth was the 5th planet out from the sun
How could any advanced species come along and not know this.

Someone else steps up-
Stop ridiculing the man. Maybe he really is an alien and maybe they know of planets that exist in other dimensions and that’s why it is fifth from the sun. So what you know his name is Joe and he’s been in prison maybe he’s a walk in…

Do you see my point?

Also, as a side note. There are a lot of seniors who are not as lucky as your parents. There are many who have absolutely nobody which leaves them very vulnerable to predators. If my one piece of skepticism can help someone in the future avoid being scammed then I'll take any amount of ridicule thrown at me for it.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by DetectiveT

Have to keep in mind we are talking about Threads on ATS.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   
No, I do get that. I even said most if not all these threads are harmless. I also don't mean to be argumentative. I guess to sum up my point though is that ignoring "healthy skepticism" shouldn't be encouraged nor should not being open to other possibilities in the threads. People remember things and even though it's a thread on ATS maybe something someone writes will stick with that person and potentially help them. A silly example would be me saying not to carry a large metal pole in an open area during a thunderstorm in a thread saying if you do it it will give you superpowers. Maybe someone pondering doing such an action will remember it. Sometimes small things matter even in inconspicuous places and times. If I could show someone how to analyze someones writing so that they could pick up possible cues of dishonesty in hopes that it may help them someday I fail to see how that is wrong.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Char-Lee

whoa dude. No one said anything about controlling content, i meant as though someone could possibly just toss some of the garble in the trash bin and leave it there where it belongs. I do have the right mind about freedom of speech and i believe everyone in this world has got a right to express it.

but once it gets to be way too much, and the facts are obviously against said person in question...

dontcha think that everyone just deserves a break from those posters that claim to have any and all answers to the worlds problems?? Do you honestly enjoy letting someone in that position with these delusions continue to falsely lead a small group of people astray like that?

Please...order your Nike's and grab your cup of jungle juice. You may as well because you're the one of the bunch who feeds it.

Hope ya feel better,
Mike

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone

Mike...the thread you started this rant over, just exploded. The OP has fallen off the edge of the cliff...no parachute in sight. I knew he was at some mental breaking point, but he got there faster than I thought he would.

Des

And Des i kind of figured it would turn out that way. Yes i had a vision, which is questionable i guess, yes i messaged him about it and he was actually quite kind about it, and i could not go on seeing his posts begin to falter, and him reaching a breaking point. I actually expected it as most of them do finally snap out of it and break loose of their psychosis.

I actually feel quite bad,
Mike

added: will read now. logged off to watch movies as i could actually not bear to watch.
edit on 24-8-2012 by PsyMike91 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by PsyMike91

whoa dude. No one said anything about controlling content, i meant as though someone could possibly just toss some of the garble in the trash bin and leave it there where it belongs. I do have the right mind about freedom of speech and i believe everyone in this world has got a right to express it.

but once it gets to be way too much, and the facts are obviously against said person in question...

dontcha think that everyone just deserves a break from those posters that claim to have any and all answers to the worlds problems?? Do you honestly enjoy letting someone in that position with these delusions continue to falsely lead a small group of people astray like that?

Please...order your Nike's and grab your cup of jungle juice. You may as well because you're the one of the bunch who feeds it.

Hope ya feel better,
Mike

Like I keep repeating..
If someone starts a thread, through some need of their own. You don't like ,said thread. Don't read it.

If it is really that bad it will die off in a few responses.

If others for reasons of their own want to read and respond to said thread...what business is that of anyone else?

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Yes its quite exciting to hear that there is new poster claiming to be God.....

I have read this new God yes, but there are some on here that swear that they know everything God is thinking, and they also know what he said, and does all the time. Gotta love them, they are fun to argue with.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by DetectiveT

you say "a lot would probably give anything to have had a skeptic come along and say this doesn’t make sense. "

I said nothing of the sort fool, and no you haven't said anything about not reading a thread you simply insisted that no one is twisting my arm to read.

So what you are saying is simply don't read it??
How could you say such a thing?

I'll read whatever id like to read, if a topic seems like hooplah i don't normally, but if someone believes that they are a prophet, how could i not?

I have reasons of my own for reading, they may be a bit different than other's, but they're reasons nonetheless. I feel as though you have no reason to come along onto my thread and post your feelings and thoughts...

...Yet here you are!

Also, if i may, this does happen to be a rant forum. If you so happen to not like a thing im saying, complain about it in your head, not to me, because your input is meaningless to me and i will continue to RANT about what i want to.

Yes i can say that, and that is what id like you to do, but by no means is anyone deleting your posts on MY thread pertaining to what you think is ethical, because we all have a right to freedom of speech and while i do somewhat agree to your ideals i do not agree to you being a hypocrite.

Yet i cannot force you to stick by YOUR OWN morals,
Mike

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by autowrench

Yes its quite exciting to hear that there is new poster claiming to be God.....

I have read this new God yes, but there are some on here that swear that they know everything God is thinking, and they also know what he said, and does all the time. Gotta love them, they are fun to argue with.

They completely are, yet i just get tired of it sometimes...

Hence the rant lol

Mike

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join