It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

At 80 years old, this woman painted what is believed to be the real face of Jesus Christ.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Why doesn't the new Jesus have a mustache, beard, or long hair life the old? Is this supposed to be serious..

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
They ruined a beautiful piece of art. And its outrageous, done by someone to deliberately mock humans.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

Unity the 80 year old woman who did it was sincere and she really thought she was helping. Just a very simple uneducated old lady. but yeah its going to cost thousands to have it restored.

On another note, it makes you wonder how many artifacts are out there being used as plant pots or ashtrays, or how many tapestries are nailed up and being used as curtains

Love and harmony
Whateva
edit on 24/8/12 by Whateva69 because: more

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   
I'm not saying the woman herself is at fault, and she may have been geniunely trying to help, but it was OK'd by other parties and this was a world treasure, gift, if you will. I certainly hope her feelings are not hurt by what I wrote, and apologize, to her for I would imagine the work is very hard to do. But I feel a decision was made behind the scenes that was politically done.
edit on 24-8-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   
. Good grief, granny made Jesus into a BEK (black eyed kid).

Well this is dreadful but I can certainly relate to her predicament and that of Mr, Bean (thanks to the person who provided the clip for us to enjoy). Who amongst us hasn't at one time or another ruined a recipe or an art project or some other endeavor while putting that last "finishing touch" that ends up an utter wrong turn that shuts out all hope of redemption? Deep sigh.

On the bright side, granny has great potential as a folk artist. And I must say, her style certainly is distinctive and memorable. I will never remember the original ten minutes after I exit this thread. But I'll be seeing the new version for years to come...in my nightmares.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

It is outrageous. Then again, the end result is also hilarious. Seriously. That is out right funny, no matter how you spin it. Too bad yet then again, too funny.

CJ

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 10:55 PM
link   
I laughed myself rotten for about 5 minutes when I first saw this.

Restoring paintings is always a bad idea, no matter what shape it is in. Once somebody else applies paint to it, it isn't original anymore. It's like recording over a musicians album and repackaging it, or rewriting a chapter in somebody's book.

Anyways, it's just a religious painting, so nothing of significant value was lost. Jesus paintings are a dime a dozen. I'd be really angry if something like this happened to The Mona Lisa or The Scream, though.
edit on 24-8-2012 by Xaphan because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Serves them right for monkeying around with the painting.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 11:46 PM
link   
I feel bad for the old lady all she wanted to do was help and ruined the picture..
For all we know, this could actually be the most accurate painting of Jesus ever made.. I think she reinterpreted Jesus as a 21st Century abstract..
I personally I think the fresco should be left as it now its brilliant !
peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 02:31 AM
link   
reply to post by sugarcookie1

She could be the second coming of Christ for all we know.
to you

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 06:05 AM
link   
This restauration is so hillarious. I think it won't be long untill it's going to spoof all over the net. Like the benten thing.

Did a quick one myself.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 06:13 AM
link   
reply to post by D.Wolf

Ok man. So i rolled on the damn floor at your B&B reference, then i saw your Dick Wolf refernce and
'd some more. I still think this is a reference to Mr. Bean though

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99
I'm not saying the woman herself is at fault, and she may have been geniunely trying to help, but it was OK'd by other parties and this was a world treasure, gift, if you will. I certainly hope her feelings are not hurt by what I wrote, and apologize, to her for I would imagine the work is very hard to do. But I feel a decision was made behind the scenes that was politically done.
edit on 24-8-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

No one approved it, she took it upon herself to do it, the church etc knew nothing about it until the woman called them and told them she had completed it. Also the church had just received a donation from the original artist's grand-daughter to professionally restore the painting, but sadly (or hilariously) the 80yr old had already begun her own restoration with disastrous (or hilarious) consequences.

No conspiracy here, just a well-meaning but totally unqualified person who without anyone's knowledge undertook the task herself

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by DCLXVI

Keeps making me chuckle. great to cheer me up thanks.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by MagnumOpus
Guess she was working on Planet of the Apes version, which was Pre-Adam period.

Lol thats a nice one> Jesus himself would be amused if he saw the painting,
and would prolly say Didnt I tell you not to be idolatrus.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   
another recent picture of jesus discovered !

www.liveleak.com...

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Never fails - someone will make a profit out of a fail.

It's has become such a big hit that she wants copyright and a cut of the profits.

The Spanish octogenarian who made a laughingstock out of a 19th-century fresco of Jesus when she bungled its restoration ended up creating a tourist attraction for her local church.

Now, Cecilia Giménez wants a cut of the profits, Spanish newspaper El Correo reported Wednesday.

Giménez has lawyered up and seeks to copyright the image after the picture of her shoddy handiwork became an Internet sensation in August and inspired countless memes.

While people were split over the outcome, with some mocking her version as “Behold the Monkey,” the church saw an uptick in visitors — so many that the fresco had to be roped off and attended to by a security guard. But donations didn’t match up, and the church decided to charge admission of 1-Euro per person, according to Spain’s La Vanguardia newspaper.

In four days, the sanctuary raked in about $2,600.

www.nydailynews.com...

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 01:20 AM
link   
reply to post by roadgravel

Shame on the Church for taking money to view the picture. People aren't supposed to laugh their heads off in church and I really want to know how they feel justified taking money for admission. It is like a carnival freak show.

Now, as for this old lady. Here I am praying for her because I feel sorry for all the shame she must endure and she's thinking she's the next Picasso. At least she wants the money for charity, she says.....

edit on 9/21/2012 by sad_eyed_lady because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join