It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is NBC doing a Story on Mormonism Tonight?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by jjf3rd77

The topic is NBC's fascination with Mormonism

What fascination?

This thread is about how you think it's wrong for NBC to ask Romney about his faith. How dare they?

And then you turn it around and ask why they haven't asked Obama about his faith. But another member comes in and shows how Obama's faith has been covered by the media....many times.

In fact, let's read your OP:

NBC Claimed that they asked Romney for an interview about Mormonism to discover more about the faith that has shaped him. After all these years, people still have questions about what religion Obama actually is. Some say he is a Muslim, some say he is Christian, some say he isn't very religious. Which is it? NBC Why You no cover Obama?

What does NBC, Romney and Mormonism have to do with Obama? But you sure had to toss it in there. If you are not an inspiring propagandist, what purpose does your rhetoric serve?

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by jjf3rd77
reply to post by sheepslayer247

Not entirely. The topic is NBC's fascination with Mormonism and how they have blinders on when anybody asks a question about what shaped Obama's philosophy!

This thread is proof of what the NBC types look like when you ask a question about Obama's religion or past for that matter.
edit on 23-8-2012 by jjf3rd77 because: (no reason given)

They are either deliberately being obtuse, are in denial or totally in the tank for Obama to the point they would sell out the whole country,
The fact of the matter is they can't handle the truth.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Well we will see what kind of malarkey the reporters come up with on the show, but from what I have been hearing there are some very wonderful Mormons,

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Over time, it has also become not just a party specific political fights but network specifics too
NBC, ABC, CBS, CNN, FOX etc etc. What a way to win election and votes to run..err ruin a country

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
Well we will see what kind of malarkey the reporters come up with on the show, but from what I have been hearing there are some very wonderful Mormons,

Mormonism is a Christian belief with some differences.

There are 1500 Christian sects in America alone - - - with some differences.

Finding accurate information on the Net about Mormons - - - is next to impossible - - - unless you already have some real knowledge.

I was Mormon for 5 years. Non-Mormons would ask me a question - - then flat out tell me I was wrong when I gave them an answer.

I don't know why some non-Mormons think they are experts on Mormonism - - - but they do. It's weird (not the religion - - but that non-Mormons seem to think they know more about it then an actual Mormon).

I think it would be great to do a factual accurate documentary on Mormonism - - - and dispel the nonsense so many claim about Mormonism.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

They are either deliberately being obtuse, are in denial or totally in the tank for Obama to the point they would sell out the whole country, The fact of the matter is they can't handle the truth.

So people that support Obama are trying to sell this country out?

Way to take it to extremes.

And I would like to see what "truth" you speak of in the statement you responded to.

Not entirely. The topic is NBC's fascination with Mormonism and how they have blinders on when anybody asks a question about what shaped Obama's philosophy!

This thread is proof of what the NBC types look like when you ask a question about Obama's religion or past for that matter.

Please point out the "fascination" NBC has shown towards Mormonism. If they didn't do this special, you guys would claim they hated Mormonism anyway.

And what does Obama's religion have to do with Mormonism? No one ever answered that. Of course the topic and initial argument is so bad that they have to make it about Obama eventually anyway.

So the fact of the matter is that you cannot sit here and say that people cannot handle the truth, when it is people such as yourself that cannot even stay on topic, let alone realize that your arguments are weak and irrelevant.

So you are selling the special short before you even watched it. How's that for intelligent objectivity?

You guys really need to stop. Any fool with half a brain can see what utter nonsense it takes to say and believe the crap you guys produce.

The OP was about Mormonism......let's make it about Obama!:

ETA: I wish people would take the time to learn about Muslims. You may just find out there are some wonderful Muslims. But we can't do that can we? The party wont allow it.
edit on 23-8-2012 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by RSF77
I seriously doubt Romney or Obama really holds any religious beliefs. They'll say whatever gets them favor on TV all day long, if you want to believe any of the crap they spew well... then... that's your right I guess. It doesn't matter if they were satanists really, as president they aren't going to do anything different from what's been happening for the last decade or so and the American economy is going to continue stagnating, the wars will keep going and we'll keep hearing the same old BS everyday.

It really doesn't even matter. Christian? Mormon? Yea right they don't even care, that stuff is just PR candy for the masses to bicker about while they screw us behind closed doors.

Romney is a practicing Mormon, he gives 10% of alllllllllllll his money to the church! The Mormons are not like other religions, if you have even known a Mormon you will realize this country will be in for big change!

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

I was Mormon for 5 years. Non-Mormons would ask me a question - - then flat out tell me I was wrong when I gave them an answer.

I don't know why some non-Mormons think they are experts on Mormonism - - - but they do. It's weird (not the religion - - but that non-Mormons seem to think they know more about it then an actual Mormon).

I was Mormon most of my life; most Christians that I would talk with were about the same as you described. This I believe comes from the assertion by Christians that Mormons aren't Christians as well, which is a very ignorant statement.

I think it would be great to do a factual accurate documentary on Mormonism - - - and dispel the nonsense so many claim about Mormonism.

Meh, the general public would be better off reading the LDS website or talking to some missionaries, although they wont give all the details of the church's past, but they would understand the core doctrine which is overwhelmingly Christian.
edit on 23-8-2012 by Openeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Openeye
reply to post by Annee

I was Mormon most of my life; most Christians that I would talk with were about the same as you described. This I believe comes from the assertion by Christians that Mormons aren't Christians as well, which is a very ignorant statement.

Meh, the general public would be better off reading the LDS website or talking to some missionaries, although they wont give all the details of the church's past, but they would understand the core doctrine which is overwhelmingly Christian.

Tell everyone as a former Mormon...will Romney try to put Mormons in positions of power all over the country? Will the changes made in Utah be pushed across the whole country. Mormons are not about being separate from politics and government like many religions, they use government and politics to make changes that will mirror their beliefs. They are very pro-active about change.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Unless NBC claims that Romney has multiple wives and thinks brown skins individuals are the spawn of Satan, I don't see the problem with this. If the show actually shows the real current beliefs of the church, then it's a chance for those curious to learn about the Mormon faith.

There is always a chance this will turn away some potential Romney voters, but that could happen even if he was a Southern Baptist or some other religion. Some people simply don't like those that belong to other religions or denominations.
edit on 23-8-2012 by Kaploink because: typo

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee

Most Mormons do not believe in separation of church and state, and honestly a large portion of the Mormon community consider a Mormon becoming president as a sign of the second coming. Mormons believe that the United States will become a theocracy ruled by Christ, as this is where Eden and the New Jerusalem is in Mormon theology.

So yes I believe that if Romney became president there would be a big big push by Mormons all over the country for stronger social conservative policies and policies that favor the Mormon faith.

Utah is probably the only state in the union where the line between the state and religion is very very thin.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   
I always seem to hear the right crying about the media being left leaning.

I guess they don't watch the same TV that I do!

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
I think I'm starting to figure all of this out:

I used to be quite the independent, not really choosing any sides and mostly decrying all politicians as snakes. Then some certain people started showing up on ATS, and certain types of threads starting showing up along with these people--extremely polarizing.

The more time I've spend reading these polarizing threads--the political madness if you will--the more I've been pushed to an extreme.....

I'm starting to like Obama--I've started thinking he's cool.
He plays basketball--that's cool.
He used to smoke--bitchin'

I've become suddenly passionate about more "Liberal" policies. My sudden rabidness over issues like gay marriage was inexplicable. I've even decided that government should play a bigger role in improving our lives.

Is it simply human nature, or is it something more? Are these polarizing threads more calculated than we could imagine? I'm beginning to wonder.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   

True. Most - - no matter what - - are gonna believe what they want and block out any facts anyway.

I became Mormon because I married a man who was born/raised in the church. He had stopped going - - but wanted to try it as a married couple.

I honestly enjoyed myself tremendously. Great organization. Family focused. Good people - for the most part.

As a "convert" - - I did a lot of research with qualified guidance (hubby).

He chose to officially resign because of the church's involvement in Prop8. We haven't been back.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   

So yes I believe that if Romney became president there would be a big big push by Mormons all over the country for stronger social conservative policies and policies that favor the Mormon faith.

Not too much different then Fundamental Christians.

Any person becoming president who favors theocracy over secular is dangerous.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   

reply to post by Char-Lee

Most Mormons do not believe in separation of church and state, and honestly a large portion of the Mormon community consider a Mormon becoming president as a sign of the second coming. Mormons believe that the United States will become a theocracy ruled by Christ, as this is where Eden and the New Jerusalem is in Mormon theology.

Utah is probably the only state in the union where the line between the state and religion is very very thin.

Thanks, that's what I thought.
Also maybe you could clear it up for some. The Mormon is not lackadaisical about religion in the way that Catholics and baptist and such are. They are serious about their religion, like JW's but in a different way. It is NOT the same having a Mormon in political office like president, as it would just your average Christian.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Reasons why NBC is airing Mormons in America tonight:
1) Obama is down in the polls, this was originally to be aired right before the Elections. (Desperation)
2) Ratings on NBC are Abysmall.
3) There hasn't been any new controversial "Mormon Stories."

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by RELDDIR
Reasons why NBC is airing Mormons in America tonight:
1) Obama is down in the polls, this was originally to be aired right before the Elections. (Desperation)
2) Ratings on NBC are Abysmall.
3) There hasn't been any new controversial "Mormon Stories."

IT'S OBAMA'S FAULT!!!!!!!!!!!!

IT'S OBAMA'S FAULT!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   
To expose that Mitt Romney has a RACIST RELIGION

Mitt Romney was 30 years old when they were still OPENLY discriminating against blacks.

edit on 23-8-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   

I could really care less about which "Magical" individual these two men believe in. They are all equally bunk in my eyes.

edit on 23-8-2012 by Shakawkaw because: SP

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join