It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Ultra-high definition TV

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   
I thought this was pretty neat,

UHDTV, or Ultra High Definition Television, allows for programming and broadcasts at resolutions of up to 7680 by 4320, along with frame refresh rates of up to 120Hz, double that of most current HDTV broadcasts. The format also calls for a broader palette of colors that can be displayed on screen.

Source

They say it has 16 times the resolution of a regular old HDTV (haha)
I can just imagine how amazing video games are gonna look on it.
I think it would be something like this...1080p*16=17280p equivalent....

I can't wait to get mine..but gonna have to wait. Not gonna hit the consumer market until 2020...

They are working out some logistical problems still.. like how to send it out...

Oh and this from the same article...

Yesterday, LG announced it will soon begin sales of an 84-inch TV capable of showing 4k for about US$22,000, though the company admitted there is still little content available at that resolution. During the summer Olympics, NHK together with British broadcaster BBC showed parts of the event using the 8k format.

22k for a TV... try to sneak that one past your wife haha

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Well a juicy as this sounds, then it is useless for the average user.

The common TV user wont even be able to see the difference between 720 and 1080 on anything smaller than 32", its only above 32" that it starts to make a visible difference.

Soooo, unless you are planning on having a >100" TV ( i did not see that the TV sold using this was 82", i suppose it would be visible on that TV, but only slightly), then i doubt you will see much difference (or unless off course, you for what ever reason, want to zoom in x100 and still have a clear image)

This, is what i have been told, by my old man, who works for the at the marketing department in Philips.

Namaste.
edit on 23/8/12 by WiseThinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
nevermind that most people won't be able to recognize the difference, must upgrade the video cards, cpu's, memory, cable packages, etc, etc...

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Didn't the BBC broadcast in this format during the Olympics to several HUUUUGE tellys around the globe?

EDIT: Never mind, just seen the news snippet above that says this.
edit on 23/8/12 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   
I've noticed lately most new TVs don't even come with picture in picture an extremely old feature. For 22k, I'd hope it would at least have that, 3-d, free direct TV or cable for 20 years, a built in dvr, an automatic commercial skipper, and maybe a free oil change.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Well I think it would be great for video games, and 3d movies, Animated movie such as Pixar films.
If they can render in higher resolutions, then there will be no limit to the realism they can attain.

That makes me excited...guess I should start saving up haha

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   
I've been reading about this for a while now, it also looks like sony might be adding this resolution to the new PS4, it will be a while before there able to do 4k streaming movies though.
edit on 23-8-2012 by Kurokage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by KingAtlas

We just bought a Samsung TV 1080p with a clear motion 240HZ LED, I didn't know TV could be so clear. We have a LCD 1080p and a Plasma 1080p BUT they are at a 120HZ refresh rate...With 240HZ my gosh its so real I can not believe it. I had no idea that the refresh rate could make such a difference. All I can say is WOW...I wonder when this TV you are talking about comes out how it will broadcast.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Kurokage

I don't think it would be all that useful on ps4, maybe ps5. They might now want to wait the 10 year lifespan of the product either... I know i won't be getting a Tv that can use this for awhile.

Plus I am all about Xbox. It is interesting though... I use my TV as my monitor, so I would not mind at all the higher resolution.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kurokage
I've been reading about this for a while now, it also looks like sony might be adding this resolution to the new PS4, it will be a while before they able to do 4k streaming movies though.

PS4 wont be out for around 2 years from now, and this TV wont be out till 2020..why would Sony put that much money into that DPI when you wont be able to buy a TV that has that kind of DPI for 8 years?
edit on 23-8-2012 by kurthall because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by kurthall

Well like the article said, LG will start selling tv's with the lowest end of the UHDTV spectrum.(4k)
The best quality UHDTV's won't come out until 2020. (8k)

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   
This is actually quite old, do you realise HD TV was out in Japan in 1991 this has beena round since 2003 i belive

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by definity
This is actually quite old, do you realise HD TV was out in Japan in 1991 this has beena round since 2003 i belive

Uh, in his defense the article is posted Aug 23 2012. Did you read the article?

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Why did sony stick a Blu ray player in the PS3, to sell them!! Sony are releasing a 4k tv late next year, and don't forget the PS3 had 3D long before any TVs. Also there will be 4k tvs very soon which will be replaced by 8k later.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   
The first 50" plasma I saw for sale in a store was $15,000. And it didn't include speakers!

4K and 8K resolution is amazing technology. YouTube has 4K content, watch a few videos and see how impressive it is... then think about the fact your display isn't even optimized for it!!

As always, 5-10 years this will be widespread, affordable technology... just when they will have something better in the works.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kurokage

Why did sony stick a Blu ray player in the PS3, to sell them!! Sony are releasing a 4k tv late next year, and don't forget the PS3 had 3D long before any TVs. Also there will be 4k tvs very soon which will be replaced by 8k later.

I just think Sony would be foolish to do so, I mean lets face it most PS3 games don't display true HD now (unless its one like Wipe Out HD) they say 1080p and 720p but the games play in 720p or less, the cut scenes are 1080p and 720p Most people don't even realize that. Now with Sony in pretty deep water with main share holders saying "You have been bleeding money long enough" and them selling PS3 at a loss the first 5 years or so. Also losing money on TV's and so and so on.
www.geeky-gadgets.com...

Now that was two years ago, but I don't think the shareholders are going to let Sony sell PS4 at a loss like PS3, and when PS3 came out the base was $499 so, I would think that since most people wont have 4000k TVs in 2 years (I love my 240HZ 1080p LED) they would not want to waste the cost of the tech to something that most consumers are not going to have anytime soon, but instead improve on the PS3. I mean With The new crytek engine and Unreal 4 engine already up and running great on Wii U the Graphics saturation point has almost been reached.
www.nintendolife.com...
Nintendo's new Wii U is said to have a $37 dollar profit per console sold.
Well who knows, PS4 is more than likely 2 years away so I guess we will see. I just cant see Sony putting a system out that is going to sell at a loss again, OR if they sell it and break even per console sold Charging us just off the top of my head $650 per system.

Hey here is a COOL LINK to the new Cryengine3 to give you an Idea of what we are in store for.
www.vg247.com...
edit on 23-8-2012 by kurthall because: added link

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Well the microsoft "next Box" is coming next autum or fall for our american friends, with Sony hot on there heels. Both systems running PC specs for DirectX 11 so sony are toying with 4k on the PS4 like they did with 3D on the PS3. Also if you have 3D then the resolution is halved so 4k offers better resoultion offering HD 3D.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Kurokage

I get what your saying I just don't think Sony is going to be able to sell at a loss again, and if they just started making money (that is why they are in business) on PS3 how they are going to make a powerhouse PS4 with Ultra HD and keep the console at a cost that will appeal to consumers. I mean there is no way I am going to buy a new TV in the next lets say 3 years, when I have a sweet tv already. So why incorporate something into a system 97% of people will not have use for, other than the 3D which was a very good point. Also Microsoft has lost money for years on both Xbox and the 360 I just don't understand why a company that wants to make money would do that. I don't have an xbox 360 because I have a great PC, and most games come to PC after Xbox so I don't really need one....Now if Sony's new system is $600 I am not buying one till the price comes down. Nintendo I am getting because I love Zelda, Metroid, heck I even like Mario. I also know that Nintendo's games are FINALLY going to be 1080p while running games (some will only be 720p) and the cost will be $350 or less.
mynintendonews.com...
Since for now that is the best my tv can do that is all I ask for. I just don't want to see Sony make bad choices.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   
I have a 42 inch plasma tv. It doesn't have a HD tuner but has HD feedthrough. I can see it good, even from the dining room. Why does anyone need a tv better than that? Are people so programed that it interferes with their physical vision along with their perception?

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Well sony are dropping the cell processor and going for a more traditional PC type spec like microsoft but with 4k coming to most ranges of TV's in the next 2 years it's only logical that they add 4k to there console. Well thats the rumour, as no real specs are out for PS4 but they got most of the rumours right last time. Also there's lots of info out there for the next box and sony are coming later to game on next gen' consoles and will want to try and out do the competion.
Also most new PC graphics cards already do better than HD resolution, the consoles are always a little behind.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join