It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Magellanic Clouds-Milky Way System's Twins Found

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Magellanic Clouds-Milky Way System's Twins Found

www.sci-news.com

“We’ve never found another galaxy system like the Milky Way before, which is not surprising considering how hard they are to spot! It’s only recently become possible to do the type of analysis that lets us find similar groups,” said Dr Robotham, lead author of a paper, published in the Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society (arXiv.org version).
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Well, well! I'm loving how much momentum we have picked up in exploring space. First we find plausible life-suitable planets, now we are finding galaxies that resemble the physical structure of our own.

Some would argue that everything in life is based around spirals and that perhaps the spiral is the foundation of which everything physical is manifested. Does that mean that these closely-resemblant galaxies could possibly be a suitable host for life? Who knows. I'd bet money on it.

Regardless, scientists say that there is only one billion years left for these galaxies. Not a long time in comparison to all the ancients in the Universe, but indeed a sufficient amount of time as far as human lives are concerned. Let's just hope we can afford a vacation ticket there before the one billion years is up!

(Image shows one of the two ‘exact matches’ to the Milky Way system found by the team. The larger galaxy, known as GAMA202627, which is similar to the Milky Way clearly has two large companions. Bluer colors indicate hotter, younger, stars like many of those that are found in our galaxy (Aaron Robotham / ICRAR / St Andrews / GAMA))

www.sci-news.com

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by ErroneousDylan

Well, well! I'm loving how much momentum we have picked up in exploring space. First we find plausible life-suitable planets, now we are finding galaxies that resemble the physical structure of our own.

Some would argue that everything in life is based around spirals and that perhaps the spiral is the foundation of which everything physical is manifested. Does that mean that these closely-resemblant galaxies could possibly be a suitable host for life? Who knows. I'd bet money on it.

Regardless, scientists say that there is only one billion years left for these galaxies. Not a long time in comparison to all the ancients in the Universe, but indeed a sufficient amount of time as far as human lives are concerned. Let's just hope we can afford a vacation ticket there before the one billion years is up!

(Image shows one of the two ‘exact matches’ to the Milky Way system found by the team. The larger galaxy, known as GAMA202627, which is similar to the Milky Way clearly has two large companions. Bluer colors indicate hotter, younger, stars like many of those that are found in our galaxy (Aaron Robotham / ICRAR / St Andrews / GAMA))

www.sci-news.com

Great post! The spiral or in my opinion vortex maybe where life begins and ends and starts again. The spiral is also an ancient symbol of fertility. Seems to me they were most definitely onto something those ancients.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Cool find.

I think our own galaxy has the potential to yeild anything we can imagine like habitable planets or other life, let alone another Galaxy in the Universe.

But i like your thinking! Aim for the edge of the universe and you will land among the other galaxies

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by ErroneousDylan

Great find.

Something to consider: a spiral is nothing more than a torus. A torus is created when you have to opposing forces dancing and twisting around each other. For example, + and -.

Nature is conceived from duality. As above so below....male and female.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

I agree. The great Ouroboros.

top topics

join