It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brain Hackers Pluck Your Private Data

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 06:27 AM
link   
Greetings, ATS!

Here's an interesting piece of information to start your day with: scientist actually "hacked" a human brain and were able to discover the alphanumeric passwords that we've been told are safe.

That's because a team of researchers from the University of Oxford in Geneva and the University of California in Berkeley just showed how easy it is to hack a human brain and pluck things such as bank details from your head. Not only that, they did so using an off-the-shelf Emotiv brain-computer interface that only cost a few hundred dollars.
Volunteers for the security experiment were asked to wear an Emotiv BCI head piece and sat in front of a computer screen that showed images of maps, banks and card PINS.
Researchers then tracked the P300 brain signal, which is given off when the brain registers meaningful stimuli. The team found they could consistently reduce the random data in each variable by 15 to 40 percent, a marked advantage over random guessing.
Subjects were essentially leaking valuable information through the BCI units, making it easier to calculate their address or bank account numbers.

Obviously, the average person doesn't need to worry about this, unless you're asked to wear some funky headgear and think about your private information
. However, this is the intial phase of the study, and I have a feeling it will develop into something more sophisticated.

I wonder, what will our military do with this information? Perhaps positive things, such as unraveling terrorist plots or the like. More probable, in my opinion, are the possible negative ramifications. I'm sure the typical ATSer can figure that out for yourself.

I wonder, what will the politicians and big business industries do with this technology? Anything?

What do you think, ATS?

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 06:41 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

This sounds like extreme data mining to me and like you mentioned if the tech is developed well enough we could have 'agents' standing on street corners scanning passers by in search of useful info in our heads that could be profited from. Or police scanning our brains for 'thought crimes'. Amazing.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tindalos2013

This sounds like extreme data mining to me and like you mentioned if the tech is developed well enough we could have 'agents' standing on street corners scanning passers by in search of useful info in our heads that could be profited from. Or police scanning our brains for 'thought crimes'. Amazing.

Yes, it is amazing and concerning, imo. Makes the idea of big brother all the more possible....

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Well this just all seems a little unfair.....

I spend most of my life, not knowing the kind of information, they can now "pluck" from my brain !

I know its a bit crass, but I wonder if they have used it to probe participants sexual thoughts/behaviour ? (but just haven't told them)

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 07:32 AM
link   

This isn't hacking so much as an advanced form of biometric monitoring. It's similar to an EKG in that regard.

By throwing a bunch of data at you and looking for what triggers the "hey! familiar!" response - they can apply algorithms that reduce the amount of guesswork needed to hack passwords or other data.

It has applications in interrogation procedures as a slightly different form of EKG. That's about it.

I hate sensationalist news reports....

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aim64C

This isn't hacking so much as an advanced form of biometric monitoring. It's similar to an EKG in that regard.

By throwing a bunch of data at you and looking for what triggers the "hey! familiar!" response - they can apply algorithms that reduce the amount of guesswork needed to hack passwords or other data.

It has applications in interrogation procedures as a slightly different form of EKG. That's about it.

I hate sensationalist news reports....

Have to report the title as it appears, according to T&C.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Ahhhahhahhhahhaha!

Of course, we have the funding and wherewithal available to do something really useful in this vital new field, and we go right for the application that will maximize profits (be they black market) before any effing thing else.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 11:45 PM
link   
THis gives me hope that maybe one day I'll have my direct Neural interface.... and the best damn anti spyware money can buy for it too apparently LOL.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 03:30 AM
link   

What do you think, ATS?

I am absolutely delighted. Such discoveries will lead us on to a simpler, saner, safer world.

new topics

top topics

join