It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's begun.. Fresh clashes defy ceasefire in Lebanon.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 03:52 AM
link   
Well, I think everyone knew it was coming and wouldn't be too long. Syria sounds to be in the final stages as Breaking News reports are becomng chaotic with heavy fighting in the Capital City and major leadership people defecting. (Breaking News on Syria)

At or about the same time, this fighting has been reported in Tripoli, Lebanon. I hope this new cease fire holds. Lebanon has had so many years of war, they deserve a rest from it....IMO.

Fresh clashes between Sunnis and Alawites in the northern Lebanese city of Tripoli defied ceasefire and raised death toll to 12 people killed and 100 injured, Reuters reported on Thursday.

Security forces reported on Wednesday that at least nine people have been killed in clashes between rival pro- and anti-Damascus gunmen in Tripoli, testing Lebanon’s fragile security situation.

Top local security, political and religious officials met and agreed on a ceasefire to take effect at 1400 GMT, an AFP correspondent reported.

I'm afraid things are right on the edge now...and I hope it can find some way of being dialed down before it gets out of hand.

The port city of Tripoli, the second largest metropolis in Lebanon, remained tense, with armed men driving through the city and shooting rounds of live fire into the air, the correspondent said.

The army said it will open talks with city elders to restore stability and has also boosted its presence in the areas where the fighting has been taking place.

The latest round of fighting has rattled the already fragile security situation in Lebanon, which lived under three decades of Syrian domination and remains deeply divided between supporters and opponents of the Damascus government.
Source

So where are those cooler heads to prevail? Now would be the time, I'm thinking. Thoughts?

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 04:01 AM
link   
I always wondered why they do the fire into the air carry on.Seems like a waste of bullets to me,they probably don't care because the west pays for most of them.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 04:06 AM
link   
Sorry, it may just be me, but what has begun????

You mean hostilities in Lebanon has begun???

Region wide chaos has begun??

WW3 has begun?

Again, it may just be me who missed the point, and if so i apologize.

Namaste.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 04:21 AM
link   
reply to post by WiseThinker

Well, Syria is experiencing heavy fighting in and around the Capital city with major leaders from military and civilian leadership defecting. Lebanon, which was the scene of 15 Years of civil war is experiencing renewed fighting. Around the region Turkey has troops on the border, Egypt is being accused of moving considerably more hardware toward the border than was agreed to handle the cross border raids that have been going on and of course, instability all around is still the rule on Syrias other border with Iraq.

Iran doesn't need much mention....that whole situation is what it is...although it looks like the Ayatollah is making an effort to settle things...while other reports say the opposite. I suppose it's a case where action or lack of it will speak on that one. Although the fact Iran will be absolutely purple passion IRATE when Assad goes down is not much question. It's their last Ally in the region.

So... Lebanon now joining the list of fighting makes the stability issue pretty much all around now and wider regional fighting is pretty valid to say with this.....particularly when reports attribute it directly to pro/anti Assad people.

Of course though, as noted... I sincerely hope the cease fire established there after 12 dead and 100 wounded, holds. That's a whole lot of fighting for that many wounded.... Not good.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Thanks for the detailed insight, much appreciated.

Namaste.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Great post my friend.

Unfortunately it appears as if opportunists are taking advantage of the current climate. No time would be better to make an attempt for power or a different position within the chaos.

I certainly hope this is not the beginning of a chain reaction that will engulf the entire middle east..

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   

There is almost nothing mentioned on it in the Israeli media, 12 dead and more than 100 wounded? Was it today?

Usually there are very quick updates for such events, but the media does highlighting today the Hezbollah's biggest drill in their history that occurred last week.

Odd, it seems like the whole region is about to explode. And i'm in the middle of it.

top topics

join