It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Radiation Expert: “Alarming” number of children with cysts or lumps on thyroid after Fukushima

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Fear of diseases A study conducted by the United Nations Scientific Committee on the Effects of Atomic Radiation (UNSCEAR) found that the number of cases of thyroid cancer and leukemia in Japan would not rise significantly as a result of the reactor meltdown in Fukushima. Yet [Winfrid Eisenberg, radiation expert and member of International Physicians for the Prevention of Nuclear War (IPPNW)] said the deformed butterflies spoke for themselves, even if findings in research on animals and insects could not completely speak for humans. A series of ultrasound examinations conducted on over 40,000 children in Japan found 35 percent of the children to have lumps or cysts. “That is not normal among children,” Eisenberg, who is also a retired pediatrician, told DW. He added that the figure was alarming. He, along with some of his colleagues, requested access to Japan’s birth statistics for the time since the disaster at the Daiichi nuclear power plant in Fukushima. As of now, he is still waiting for access to be granted.

Source

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 01:16 AM
link   
reply to post by UDHR19

Well this is something many have expected. Common sense if nothing else would dictate that the long term problems are going to be a huge burden on Japans economic future as more people succumb to the effects of Fukushima.

I am sorry to hear this.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 01:20 AM
link   
There is a lot of seaweed in Japanese diets. If it is free from radiation it will protect them from thyroid cancer as the iodine uptake is enough that the body will not use the iodine from the area, however it seems as though Japan has an appetite for radiation and I'm sure they would still be eating seafood from around Fuku

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 01:21 AM
link   
I simply have no words,we saw this coming.
those bastards that covered up the severity and spewed propaganda about the accident...
edit on 23-8-2012 by all2human because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   
It's so sad that for as many of us who saw this coming, there were so many in Japan who believed that their government would protect their interests. How they believed that, I don't know. But I don't know how people do that in my country, either.

Good thoughts going out to the survivors.

top topics

join