It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Software Cams are snapping you (even if you have no webcam installed?)

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Have no proof , , but just thought of all these pop up windows that keep on coming up, and hey if I install a anti pop up , pop ups appear telling me what pop ups or what companies trying to track me have been blocked.

Could it be possible that you?I/ We are being filmed or photographed / streamed by these little windows behind the physical layer of our monitor screens?

These pop ups are actually software cameras?

That require no physical lens?

Just a thought happy nose picking.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   
I think it's more likely that with the advent of pre-installed webcams, and products like the Kinect, that some websites could be used to video you while you're on the internet. The FBI has the ability to turn on your cell phone's microphone even when it is shut off. Who's to say that they can't do the same with your laptop camera?

I never liked the idea of the Kinect personally. It reminds me too much of the telescreens in Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four. I think it is possibly used to recognize items in your home, like say a Pepsi bottle, and could be used for info to sell to third-party's for advertising. Facebook does it with the info you give them. Why not Microsoft?

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Expired

Now you have me all paranoid
...I hope not...naahh I doubt it yet.Soon to be though,coming to a theater near you....the trueman show part IVX.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Cameras, Displays
Apple patent embeds thousands of cameras among LCD pixels

By Evan Blass posted April 26th 2006 12:00PM

Oh Barry Fox, does a week ever go by when you don't find a great patent or two? Today the intrepid Mr. Fox manages to dig up an application by consumer-darling Apple for an LCD display embedded with thousands of microscopic image sensors that would allow users to video-conference while looking straight into the "camera." Data accumulated by the individual sensors would be stitched into actual images using special software, which will probably be bundled into future versions of iLife. Since the patent specifies almost as many sensors per screen as there are pixels, some of those sensors could have different focal lengths, with a defacto zoom lens created by switching between them. Apple goes on to suggest portable uses for the technology, such as employing the displays in cellphones and PDAs, so you can add another item to the list of features we'll be expecting from the iPhone and Newton 2.0 when they finally hit stores.

www.engadget.com...

I was... in a round about way going to call you crazy, but then I remembered this little information.

Just think about what the government has!

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Expired
Have no proof , , but just thought of all these pop up windows that keep on coming up, and hey if I install a anti pop up , pop ups appear telling me what pop ups or what companies trying to track me have been blocked.

Could it be possible that you?I/ We are being filmed or photographed / streamed by these little windows behind the physical layer of our monitor screens?

These pop ups are actually software cameras?

That require no physical lens?

Just a thought happy nose picking.

A standard LCD/LED screen has zero capability to capture photos....

If your LCD/LED screen has a photo capture device on it (a camera) put a piece of duct tape on it, problem solved.

If you are really crazy download peerblock, and you will have complete controll what you computer sends and receives.
edit on 22-8-2012 by Yeats because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 11:46 PM
link   
LEDs turned into cameras: Are your light Bulbs Spying on you?

Note: this could apply to LED monitors. NOT LCD monitors, but LEDs.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 11:49 PM
link   
If that came to be true...guess I should reconsider my wardrobe...and, or, lack of it in the Summertime...

Des

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 11:55 PM
link   

If you have a laptop with a built in webcam, put a piece of tape over it ( I did). If you have an external USB webcam, unplug it when you are not using it. Simple fixes ;-) Same thing applies to sound cards, if it's internal on a laptop, add an external soundcard and direct all traffic to it or unplug your microphone on your external.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 12:03 AM
link   
and since the early days of laptops.....the keystroke transmitter.....in all the models...easy to find.....

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by GBP/JPY
and since the early days of laptops.....the keystroke transmitter.....in all the models...easy to find.....

commonly called a "key logger" . Will be found by most anti-virus software, unless you have a significant other that installed it and also made an: "exception" for its activities in your antivirus.

Hint..hint..

Open your anti-virus and check the "exceptions" list...

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by bobs_uruncle

If you have a laptop with a built in webcam, put a piece of tape over it ( I did). If you have an external USB webcam, unplug it when you are not using it. Simple fixes ;-) Same thing applies to sound cards, if it's internal on a laptop, add an external soundcard and direct all traffic to it or unplug your microphone on your external.

Cheers - Dave

Thanks I already have blu tac on the webcam, but sorry you did not get the gist of the OP or else you skimmed
whilst reading.
Visual capture devices ..no Iam not going to say it, it will make someone rich who doesn't deserve it, but no its already happenning so Iam jsut parroting about existing technology.

I need to rest my weary eyes from prying eyes.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 12:27 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Expired

Originally posted by bobs_uruncle

Cheers - Dave

Thanks I already have blu tac on the webcam, but sorry you did not get the gist of the OP or else you skimmed
whilst reading.
Visual capture devices ..no Iam not going to say it, it will make someone rich who doesn't deserve it, but no its already happenning so Iam jsut parroting about existing technology.

I need to rest my weary eyes from prying eyes.

Any coward can sit in his home and criticize a pilot for flying into a mountain in a fog. But I would rather, by far, die on a mountainside than in bed. What kind of man would live where there is no daring? And is life so dear that we should blame men for dying in adventure? Is there a better way to die?

Charles Lindbergh Jr.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 12:29 AM
link   
another thing if you dont do any heavy gaming. go grab a copy of a Linux flavor

I'd recommend Linux Mint to the noobs

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Its not possible to take pictures without a camera. Im having a hard time seeing how someone can even think that even if they dont know computers.

Software camera. That was a fun idea though.

edit on 23-8-2012 by PrimitiveWorld because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 12:31 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 12:32 AM
link   
reply to post by PrimitiveWorld

well one could write up a bit of code that would take screeshots every so often of the workspace, and if you add a keylogger to the mix, it could be a bit of a bad thing.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by SolarIce
reply to post by PrimitiveWorld

well one could write up a bit of code that would take screeshots every so often of the workspace, and if you add a keylogger to the mix, it could be a bit of a bad thing.

Yeah, that functionality is almost always included in most spy packages these days, including the ability to record sound.

If that is what was meant with "software camera", then yes, its very common.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Yeats

>implying you know me in any shape or form.

I can say I'm a blackhat or a greyhat, the point is though I wont get in trouble for stating the truth..so I did.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 12:36 AM
link   

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join