It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lack Of Openness

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   
There seems to be a lack of openness, not only here on ats, but also in the world. Here on ats, there are a few people who share their personal stories and feelings which I find is great. When people are more personal, it is easier to relate and connect with what someone is trying to communicate. There seems to be a fear that people have about sharing anything personal. And as nice as it is to see intellectual debates here, many are just concerned with being heard and being right.

Sometimes you might be literally right but that doesn't always bring happiness. I write this post because I see many people hell bent on proving their opinion to be a "fact" and the real issue is their ego. Many try to hammer in their ideas on others because for some being right means validation.

When people strive to be right, there isn't much enjoyment in it because things become close-minded. When people are open and share things from the heart, there is a lot more enjoyment that comes out of our interactions with others.

Just want to encourage others to be more open and personable, myself included.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Ralphy

Well personally i push my ideas on people because i know my ideas are right. since i am happy maybe if i share some of the things i know with them they can find happiness to.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   

A THIRD INTERPRETATION: LITERAL + PARABLE = A NEW INTERPRETATION

Self-esteem or self-belief is closely linked to the neurotransmitter Serotonin. When the lack of it takes on severe proportions, it often leads to depression, self-destructive behaviour or even suicide.

Social Validation makes us feel and know we BELONG. No one wants to be DESOLATE (without and lacking.) DE - of, SOL - SOLITARY - SINGLE - ALONE, and ATE - state of being.

An example would be Seperation from G_d. We would be desolate. As when G_d turned His face from those who did not hear; and they were made desolate.

UNLESS you learn to love and forgive yourself of your own failings and ACCEPT you are a child of G_d; and only then, without pretense or denial, can you stand naked before G_d.

Recall the old tale of the Silver Smith. Knowing exactly when to remove the silver from the fire, lest it be burnt-up? When you can see YOUR OWN face in it. One second too long and it is burnt-up, one second not enough is not purified. Once this is done can we truly love our neighbor like Jesus commanded, as well as the stranger; but we must love them both without prejudices.

WE are made in the image of G_d.

We are in a CONSTANT DUALITY between how we see ourselves and how others see us, (or how we perceive others seeing us.)
IF those two perceptions are at disagreement, COGNITIVE DISSONANCE ocurrs; and is a state of holding two conflicting beliefs or ideas (ideologies,) at the same time.

Ways of reconciling the "dissonance" is by action, denial, violence, or apathy.

This state is not healty or the natural state for Human Beings. Media can accomplish this by sub-liminal suggestion. SUBLIME - below perception.

Until recognized.

Learning how to become self-aware is not as hard as it seems.

Just place yourself in another's shoes and walk a mile in them. Take a moment, in-time, where you become the perspective of a third person, looking-over your own shoulder, then stop and try to develop empathy for how another would feel in the same exact circumstance.

This is loving your neighbor, as yourself. I can think of no better example of it. Since we are all one in the same.

IT'S REALLY THIS SIMPLE!

There is a documentary video titled: "Althene's Theory of Everything" which illustrates new thinking of how the mind and thinking works, and it makes sense, but will take many viewings to completely be able to understand it. Some won't understand it, but some will understand half of it, and some will be "enlightened" and be able to build on this work. So please, keep an unbiased mind open to new ideas and innnovative ways to solve our problems of today and in the future.

YouTube Source: www.youtube.com...

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 02:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Ralphy

I would rather know what is right, and true, and be sad; then be happy, but live in a state of falsehood and disillusion. You may call it an ego-trip, I just call it being honest. As a writer, I love a good story as much as the next man, but when you try to tell me your story presents things "how they really are," and I know that to be incorrect, then I feel it is my obligation to say "I think you are wrong, and here is why..."

~ Wandering Scribe

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 02:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Ralphy

Too many snakes in the jungle , keep your food close to your chest.

2nd
edit on 23-8-2012 by SpaceCadet69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 02:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by LordD
reply to post by Ralphy

Well personally i push my ideas on people because i know my ideas are right. since i am happy maybe if i share some of the things i know with them they can find happiness to.

christian by any chance ?

2nd

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 03:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Ralphy

So do you want people to be open (truthful - even with negativity) or do you want them to be happy (optimistic)?

If you want them to be truthful, expect more negativity...

If you want them to be optimistic, expect more hopefulness and avoidance of truth.

Do you really want a person to be "open" if they are an 'evil' person?

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 03:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Ralphy

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 04:25 AM
link   
reply to post by trekwebmaster

That documentary is very intriguing, thank you for linking to it. I hope that peer reviewers pick up on it soon, if Athene's theories are valid, I would love to see the way they can begin to reshape currently accepted scientific theories. His unwillingness to present them for peer review, or deal with interviews, etc of his documentary is a bit disconcerting though.

Why do you think God has anything to do with this documentary? If I understood it correctly, the information provided means we can do away with belief and religion and politics and all those assumed things which generally separate us, because the real connectivity and unity comes from living life communally and experiencing things together. Religion, God, politics, those all just seek to separate us with false morality and redemption, etc. Things with Athene's video say come not from God, or religion, but from acceptance by our peers.

Your take?

~ Wandering Scribe

edit on 23/8/12 by Wandering Scribe because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 05:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Ralphy

Language is inefficient and sometimes things get jumbled between your thoughts and what someone else interprets. Written language on the web is even worse because all the little audio and visual cues can't be taken into account to formulate a good idea of what a person is trying to convey. Still, the anonymity of the internet does facilitate a lot more open discussion then if you were working on a house or at a family reunion or something. I would guess that the invention and prevalence of the net has done a lot more for communication than we think and in fact society and culture is probably still trying to get used to it. We've had the net for a while now and for some of us (myself included) its kind of hard to imagine what life would be like without it, people are growing up now that never knew what it was like to not have this.

I feel pretty certain that sometime, maybe even in a short time, humanity will progress to telepathy. Probably some kind of technology involving the internet and akin to the new mind-computer interfaces that are being developed now. Actually we're not that far off from it at all, somebody just has to sell it to the average Joe. When this happens more than likely it will create a new social paradigm much like the internet did, revolutionizing communication yet again. If people can truly read each others feelings then the lack of openness may all but disappear. A lot of people will probably be scared to do something like this and become uncomfortable with it, spawning controversy much like people are arguing about homosexuality and abortion now in the US. It's also kind of Orson Wells style scary in that who knows what our whacko, peeping tom government will try to do with this. That might be just what they need to enslave us all.

Me? I always try to be pretty open, but I get in trouble for it here on ATS and in life. I'm a pretty critical person whose fairly angry at the rest of the world for the million and one reasons there is to be angry about that. Sometimes I end up being insulting and sometimes I get my posts blocked, but I still post them because I'm a hardheaded fool who believes in saying what needs to be said regardless of rules. Sometimes in situations like described above I'll bite my tongue if I feel the person I'm talking to is a good person, for example not an egocentric person who always needs to be right like you talk about in your OP. I try to treat people according to how they project onto the world and others. Kind people get kindness and the opposite gets an asshole and so on.

I agree with you though the more open people can be with one another the better and sooner we'll all figure this thing out and get a lot of problems solved. It's difficult in this dog eat dog, materialistic ego fest we call life, but times are changing and a lot of people are coming around, a lot of people are trying to help and understand others better. Round and round we go down into this rabbit hole called Earth, might be more to this openness thing than we can even realize... that might even be part of our path as an advancing species.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   
My point is that we don't open up about ourselves as much as well talk about other stuff. If anyone has ever had the chance to talk to someone and open up about how they feel then they will probably understand what I am trying to say.

If I can more clearly try to define my point its that not many open up in terms of sharing what they feel. Peoples emotions seem to be fortified and protected almost more than anything else in life(maybe its apart of the whole, defending our self image idea).

If you had a mom/dad/son/daughter/ or friend opening up and saying to you they feel like killing themselves, wouldn't you be glad to know that so you can help them?

If you had someone who abused you at some point in your life, physical or verbal, wouldn't you feel better if they opened up and said they were sorry? Maybe not for some because people struggle to forgive but at least you could get some more closure on the issue.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Wandering Scribe

Hey WS, and I for one won't kill the messenger, but listen to the message to see whether it contains anything valid and I posit that it does. It rings true. So how does this involve G_d?

Here:

Recall the old tale of the Silver Smith. Knowing exactly when to remove the silver from the fire, lest it be burnt-up? When you can see YOUR OWN face in it.

The pyramid above, as above, and so below, and the head capstone the builders rejected has become the head cornerstone. Any way you turn the pyramid it's the same. You can read into that in the above sentence - headstone - capstone, they are much the same.

And...

I have always viewed the teachings in the Bible as "literal" and also "ancient," which might have been relevant at some-point, until a few years ago. Most teachings are parable-based, to apply in any case, but those "parabolas" give one pause, to stop and look-at it "from all sides."

Literal and parabolic interpretation; does it equal an answer or a third interpretation? Study Jesus' parables, look around them, look between them, come to the conclusion you were meant to come-to. The Truth.

This group of paragraphs illustrates this perfectly:

"Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come," and this very group of sentences call a person's attention, to something new; a new perspective?

A "Spirit of Truth," which has an ascribed status, as being possibly, all human beings which might interpret a "communication" or "affirmation," of a truth? The (S) in "Spirit" is capitalized, so that imparts a "Higher" meaning, while "of truth" infers a "co-efficient," of sorts, arrangement? When you read "guide you into all truth," is very likely to mean plural and not singular; and a message intended for all. So, there conceivably, could be many "Spirits of truth?"

LITERAL + PARABLE (AROUND PARABOLIC) = THIRD INTERPRETATION (combination of both literal and parable)

It's amazing how different the meaning is when you look at the say the Bible for instance, with this formula. This works with EVERYTHING in life, problems, solutions, instead of a duality, which either has a yes or no with only one step, we've got 2 steps and a third interpretation. It mirror the pyramid. It's kinda like saying read between the lines and come up with the REAL truth about things...kind of like using logic and reason plus inference to equal a valid conclusion and argument.

Very logical and timeless.

edit on 23-8-2012 by trekwebmaster because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Ralphy

That's interesting you say that Ralphy. The video I posted the link to addresses this and goes further. It says that when we or our opinions or conclusions are questioned, it's like a physical attack, our brains see it that way and this produces a fight or flight reaction, which if wrong leads to depression due to social invalidation, but if correct leads to social validation and acceptance.

Now we see where the duality of cognitive dissonance is so damaging. The only ways to reconcile cognitive dissonance is to act, deny, be apathetic, or with violence. In my case I prefer to use the formula given above to Wandering Scribe to act on the argument and prove it false or true; valid or invalid. Then point out the reason why.

I don't judge people, I judge their actions or results of their thinking, which is the same thing...not them.

We'll have to know what cognitive dissonance is before we can spot it. IT can be propaganda, false ideology, or anything resembling holding two ideas or ideologies at the same time which are contradictory. One must be and one mustn't be and usually if we decide or pick the wrong one, we run-off the cliff like so many folks who jump on the bandwagon of fallacy in politics. And this is a prime example. But often politics is the extremes of any issue, with the Bell Curve being unsaid or unrepresented. Sound familiar?

Here's the lightbulb going on in your head moment.

Watch the video...

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Ralphy

totally they are, with social invalidation people are not as apt to share personal emotions and thoughts our of fear of rejection...it all ties in together.

But, we can help more, if we can see without bias why and what causes the problem, then after we take the information the emotion from someone is giving us, learn from the info, then let the emotion float back where it came from, and not hold onto it, it's not good if we do, we can see the problem and help people overcome it. I don't take emotive attacks personal, it tells me someone is hurting and might do something harmful, but if i see it from an emotional attack position, I cannot help myself or others.

It's hard to see yes, but if given the tools and information to deal with the problem it is easy as pie to fix. But no one is being taught HOW.

And this is exactly why I am sharing what I know to be right and true here. And you guys / gals can pay it forward from here. and it will continue until everyone knows this coping mechanism.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpaceCadet69

Originally posted by LordD
reply to post by Ralphy

christian by any chance ?

2nd

lol no. Budhhist

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by LordD

LordD... fascinating. I wonder what made him think otherwise? Perhaps the "push" did it?

See this is what is so bothersome about "Pushing" and "Pulling." There is no "Mean" or "Median" which gives people an unbiased area to think and rationalize the truth. That's exactly the problem with being "outliers" or "extremes" because neither extreme allows a person to be neutral to view all the choices and topics and logically arrive at a valid conclusion and thus a valid argument to what to believe and whom to believe-in.

This is where social validation succeeds and where social invalidation fails. Ironically, where most religions fail or succeed in allowing a person to retain their free-will. If you pressure a person, they are not going to be able to rationalize but feel the emotion of "pressure" and move toward a homeostatic position of neutrality. It's an uncomfortable feeling the be the odd-man out. Why Althene's Theory of Everything is so important. Everyone wants to belong, and no one wants to feel desolate and alone. Some can cope, some cannot and do horrible things to themselves and others.

This must change. Now that we know the truth or at least can see the "tip of the iceberg" of the truth, we can start to change our world for the better. All of the things which are negative about humanity can start to be resolved and all things positive about humanity can start to be rrealized, but first we'll need to be brutally honest with each other and ourselves. Then tackle the harder problems, but the rest is really the easy problems, with ourselves being the most-difficult. But when we see beyond ourselves and have empathy toward others by forgiving and accepting ourselves, that can change and it can change in a split-second.

Once we start USING those neural network pathways, we can start making them stronger and stronger by practicing our application of knowledge of the truth. It's actually so sublime and ridiculous compared to how we think now, but is the way to the start of a path to enlightenment. When this is done, all else will follow it.

There are so many similarities here in all things which people may have not realized.

But consider:

An all-seeing eye at the top of a pyramid? The tip of the iceberg and ironically, it's shaped roughly in a pyramid shape with the water-line where the dividing-line is on the all seeing-eye on the dollar bill.

In this respect, it's much like John The Baptist, a man of G_d, baptizing Jesus and saying "He that is after me is preferred before me."

Or the crucifixion of Jesus literally, in the Bible, and then also we also crucify Jesus again, when we go-through him, to be closer to the Father or G_d. There is a back-story about how I came to perceive this, and the series of breadcrumbs of knowledge or wisdom being me being directed at what to read, what to note, etc.

It does say in the Bible, that Jesus kept those who believed in his name for G_d, save one, which either is himself (this is another bit to chew-on later,) and I kinda see this as a fail-safe like saying we leave no one behind except ourselves, or in Jesus case himself.

When we make that step from Jesus to G_d, we are figuratively crucifying him, and in reality the human race must do this to all religions and ideologies to accept and be able to recognize what is true and what is not truth in this world. Or it will be forever mired down in all the negatives of the universe with no light, love or hope, any of the positive aspects of what we are to be as an Image of G_d. The potential is there, we just have to "re-make" ourselves into that "Perfect Image" or more-perfect image by refining ourselves like silver as in my SilverSmith analogy.

So we see there's the two steps which equals a third and that is truth. There's the 3 sides of the pyramid and no matter which way you turn us, it's the same, since it's all true. If you see something wrong, just keep refining it with proof and reproof, until you know it's true.

Like Astronomy and Astrology. I know there are aspects of these two disciplines which are true, some not by omission, some just plainly incomplete. But combined yields a third interpretation or a more-perfect image, which is truth.

It's all light.

To tell you a secret, light and sound are much in the same, it's just our "GAP" between the sense of vision and the sense of hearing, which makes it appear to be two separate things. Sound is just slower or "down-converted" via the "Sensory Gap." We interpret it as two things. It's not.

Can you begin to see the inference I am presenting, with no bias or preaching, just allowing you to be able to decide for yourselves by presenting information arranged in a way where it's easy to see w/out bias.

Anyway you turn it...

I'll leave you with a parable:

Luke 11:5-13 He said to them, "Which of you, if you go to a friend at midnight, and tell him, ‘Friend, lend me three loaves of bread, for a friend of mine has come to me from a journey, and I have nothing to set before him,’ and he from within will answer and say, ‘Don’t bother me. The door is now shut, and my children are with me in bed. I can’t get up and give it to you’?

I tell you, although he will not rise and give it to him because he is his friend, yet because of his persistence, he will get up and give him as many as he needs. "I tell you, keep asking, and it will be given you. Keep seeking, and you will find. Keep knocking, and it will be opened to you.

For everyone who asks receives. He who seeks finds. To him who knocks it will be opened.

"Which of you fathers, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, he won’t give him a snake instead of a fish, will he? Or if he asks for an egg, he won’t give him a scorpion, will he? If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him?"

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by trekwebmaster
reply to post by LordD

LordD... fascinating. I wonder what made him think otherwise? Perhaps the "push" did it?

See this is what is so bothersome about "Pushing" and "Pulling." There is no "Mean" or "Median" which gives people an unbiased area to think and rationalize the truth. That's exactly the problem with being "outliers" or "extremes" because neither extreme allows a person to be neutral to view all the choices and topics and logically arrive at a valid conclusion and thus a valid argument to what to believe and whom to believe-in.

This is where social validation succeeds and where social invalidation fails. Ironically, where most religions fail or succeed in allowing a person to retain their free-will. If you pressure a person, they are not going to be able to rationalize but feel the emotion of "pressure" and move toward a homeostatic position of neutrality. It's an uncomfortable feeling the be the odd-man out. Why Althene's Theory of Everything is so important. Everyone wants to belong, and no one wants to feel desolate and alone. Some can cope, some cannot and do horrible things to themselves and others.

This must change. Now that we know the truth or at least can see the "tip of the iceberg" of the truth, we can start to change our world for the better. All of the things which are negative about humanity can start to be resolved and all things positive about humanity can start to be rrealized, but first we'll need to be brutally honest with each other and ourselves. Then tackle the harder problems, but the rest is really the easy problems, with ourselves being the most-difficult. But when we see beyond ourselves and have empathy toward others by forgiving and accepting ourselves, that can change and it can change in a split-second.

Once we start USING those neural network pathways, we can start making them stronger and stronger by practicing our application of knowledge of the truth. It's actually so sublime and ridiculous compared to how we think now, but is the way to the start of a path to enlightenment. When this is done, all else will follow it.

edit on 23-8-2012 by trekwebmaster because: type

I love the idea but that is a Utopian dream. a dream that has no chance of success in this current world. You have come to the conclusion that everyone once to change or wants hear that they need to be changed. Some people don't and never will. Its hard for some people to even begin to start changing for the better when everyone else is doing the opposite. In order for your idea to have hope you need to expand your resources so that people can learn this truth and begin to share it with others on a global scale (like missionaries). Many already know this truth but they don't use it in their daily lives as an example to others. And even if they did people don't have to change hopefully they will. Enlightenment is a self thing not a group thing. enlightenment is different for everyone. enlightenment is not about worldly ideas or thinking its about self ideas self fulfillment self completion when one is self-conscious then one can think of grasping the situation of another. And until people understand each other their can be no hope for peace. Belonging is a truth. The truth is everyone just wants to be happy.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by trekwebmaster
reply to post by LordD

But consider:

An all-seeing eye at the top of a pyramid? The tip of the iceberg and ironically, it's shaped roughly in a pyramid shape with the water-line where the dividing-line is on the all seeing-eye on the dollar bill.

In this respect, it's much like John The Baptist, a man of G_d, baptizing Jesus and saying "He that is after me is preferred before me."

Or the crucifixion of Jesus literally, in the Bible, and then also we also crucify Jesus again, when we go-through him, to be closer to the Father or G_d. There is a back-story about how I came to perceive this, and the series of breadcrumbs of knowledge or wisdom being me being directed at what to read, what to note, etc.

It does say in the Bible, that Jesus kept those who believed in his name for G_d, save one, which either is himself (this is another bit to chew-on later,) and I kinda see this as a fail-safe like saying we leave no one behind except ourselves, or in Jesus case himself.

When we make that step from Jesus to G_d, we are figuratively crucifying him, and in reality the human race must do this to all religions and ideologies to accept and be able to recognize what is true and what is not truth in this world. Or it will be forever mired down in all the negatives of the universe with no light, love or hope, any of the positive aspects of what we are to be as an Image of G_d. The potential is there, we just have to "re-make" ourselves into that "Perfect Image" or more-perfect image by refining ourselves like silver as in my SilverSmith analogy.

So we see there's the two steps which equals a third and that is truth. There's the 3 sides of the pyramid and no matter which way you turn us, it's the same, since it's all true. If you see something wrong, just keep refining it with proof and reproof, until you know it's true.

Like Astronomy and Astrology. I know there are aspects of these two disciplines which are true, some not by omission, some just plainly incomplete. But combined yields a third interpretation or a more-perfect image, which is truth.

It's all light.

To tell you a secret, light and sound are much in the same, it's just our "GAP" between the sense of vision and the sense of hearing, which makes it appear to be two separate things. Sound is just slower or "down-converted" via the "Sensory Gap." We interpret it as two things. It's not.

Can you begin to see the inference I am presenting, with no bias or preaching, just allowing you to be able to decide for yourselves by presenting information arranged in a way where it's easy to see w/out bias.

Anyway you turn it...

I really like that. I never seen put into perspective like that, but that all depends on if we have the same path if our paths are different then what we should study or how we should go about life will differ. I believe their are some universal truths but as a 'being' theirs only perspective. Your truth could very well be true but it could be different from my truth which could also be true. We are inherently different from every human being so theirs bound to be different pyramids.
edit on 23-8-2012 by LordD because: wrong placing of words

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by LordD

Okay here's where I come-in with the "Ye of little faith remark." Ain't that quaint of me?

But, you can decide if you have faith in truth or not.

There is the faith as small as a mustard seed and that can move MOUNTAINS.

I "previsualize" people being able to learn how to see truth by knowledge.

I previsualize the frequency changing to where they can resonate with the truth.

What folks do not realize is there is a big difference between "Christ" and Jesus, but combined he did save the world, and when you apply the literal+parabolic=3rd Interpretation to studying those "quaint" sayings, it jumps out at you. You cannot deny it. And those quaint literally around sayings take on a whole new meaning. And to this end I like to think of it as a Living Word.

Why would we want a bi-partisan belief system when we can have a unitary one?

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by LordD

Don't worry the truth is the truth, it is what it is.

Like the air is the air, there's no difference in air in the north as in the south or in the east as the west. It is the air.

It's universal, no matter which way you turn it.

The truth will set you free...

<<   2  3 >>

join