It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

August 22 is Earth Overshoot Day

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Today, August 22, is Earth Overshoot Day, marking the date when humanity has exhausted nature’s budget for the year. We are now operating in overdraft. For the rest of the year, we will maintain our ecological deficit by drawing down local resource stocks and accumulating carbon dioxide in the atmosphere. Just as a bank statement tracks income against expenditures, Global Footprint Network measures humanity’s demand for and supply of natural resources and ecological services. And the data is sobering. Global Footprint Network estimates that in approximately 8 months, we demanded more renewable resources and C02 sequestration than what the planet can provide for an entire year.

My question is do you understand what does it mean ?

This day marks the approximate date our resource consumption for a given year exceeds the planet’s ability to replenish. From this day on, it would mean that humanity has exhausted the nature’s budget for the year and we are operating in overdraft.
After today, we are already in ‘debt’ towards the nature and the planet Earth and this where the other name of the day (Ecological Debt Day) comes from.

They says it's already to late... so why looking for a doomsday when we are already leaving it !

i don't know why i post this actually , it's a waste of time ...

link

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Hey,it's ok.
The Earth will correct that all as we are just mere fleas on it's back.

People will go the way of the dinosaurs,the Earth will continue on.

Enjoy your 80 or so trips around the sun.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

yea i'm sure you right, but i feel just sad...it's like a punch in the face...i know things are going wrong, but when we wil stop all this ? people are so devided.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by pitchdragon

yea i'm sure you right, but i feel just sad...it's like a punch in the face...i know things are going wrong, but when we wil stop all this ? people are so devided.

Yes,it is sad,but a truck,god forbid ,could hit you tomorrow and it wouldn't matter to you.
But the effects on our offspring,short term,does concern me.
What do they face after I am gone?

My kids and future (very distant hopefully) grandkids.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   
It is now also known as the "Fear Mongering / I Believe Everything I Read Day!"

The resources are there, they are just controlled and manipulated.
Kinda like people that believe everything they read on the internet.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by tvtexan

Bingo! Hold your cards, and give that man a cigar.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 03:25 AM
link   
reply to post by tvtexan

seriously !!! ok now i understand better why we are in that situation... man everything is not conspiracy , it's all a matter of view, people who believe it's a conspiracy should also time to time get off there head from the sand ! even if all this is a conspiracy, so you just point you finger and go back to your regular life !! the question is are we strong enough to change our vision and world... when i read you answer, i just say we have a lot of work...because like it or not, yes we are DONE ! man your house is on fire !!!
edit on 23-8-2012 by pitchdragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 03:28 AM
link   
WOW just WOW ! i'm speechless...this the most important subject for us, this is very important, this not fear mongering this is our reality, maybe we should start to wake up people and work all together no ? or as they say it's too late !

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 03:35 AM
link   
reply to post by pitchdragon

Thanks.
I Never Know Before.
For Ur Knowledge

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 04:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by tvtexan
It is now also known as the "Fear Mongering / I Believe Everything I Read Day!"

Kinda like people that believe everything they read on the internet.

I think there was something you didn't quite understand concerning the subject, so let's take it again:

Earth Overshoot Day does not mark the day when corporations has used up controlled and manipulated resources that actually belongs to whom (or what was your reasoning there? I don't quite follow)?

Earth Overshoot Day marks the day/timeline when humanity as a whole has used up renewable natural resources that the planet can produce in one year, such as fresh water, wood, etc.

To make it simple for someone with a simple world-view; let's say you have a food storage that is supposed to last for a year. Eight months in you've used up all the food. You now have to start tapping into someone else's food storage in order to survive the year, and that's the non-renewable food sources.

If you believe that the data presented by Global Footprint Network is false and serves only to scare people, please provide us verifiable information that will show us how this is is done and what the real data is, to substantiate your claims.

If you can't do that, I will simply assume that you're one of those many people that like to roll around in your gaz-gussling car with your AC on full blow, and that you prefer to do this with your blind-folds on. Any indication that the planet's biosphere cannot sustain (in a long-term perspective) the material life-style the Industrial world has created for itself is simply irritating, the data is surely false, it's the fault of someone else, etc.

That way, you can continue to ignore that you're stealing from your kids.

And for those who think that it is not much of a problem (another way of solving the problem without really solving it, just ignoring it), that modern technology will figure it out and save us somehow, let's see what the report says:

In 1992, Earth Overshoot Day—the approximate date our resource consumption for a given year exceeds the planet’s ability to replenish—fell on October 21. In 2002, Overshoot Day was on October 3. Given current trends in consumption, one thing is clear: Earth Overshoot Day tends to arrive a few days earlier each year.

This means that with our fast technological evolution we're not getting better at managing our resources, we're getting better at over-exploiting them.

So what do we need, better technology yet or a change in attitude?
edit on 23-8-2012 by Heliocentric because: autumn evening the grasshopper’s long jump into silence

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 06:03 AM
link   
its also the day counterstrike global offensive came out

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Heliocentric

thank you !!!

But this is scary, one telling us is not true an another talking about a game !!!! and the others are stuck i don't know where, this is a very important issue it show just one things people don't care about how the world is going on , if my thread was about a red planet or a fart from the sun or an invasion or i will pretend i'm an alien from tinararwharai planet, they will be a full of comment...but when they must face the true, it's another story...this is a shame !

very soon we will have to deal with it, everything that is important to us today will be put in the trash ... our life, our job, our passions, our ipads and phone, our clothes, traveling ...... because the most important things will be to eat and to drink ! and you will have to survive, no fastfood and junkfood to save us, no gaz,and when i say soon it's not in 20 years not it's in 5 years we will start to see the real effect ... ok just ignoring it, i will leave it like this, but you will remember
edit on 23-8-2012 by pitchdragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by pitchdragon

People who think the Earth will correct itself are in denial and wish to ignore the problem instead of being a little uncomfortable by addressing it.

They are the same ones that hear their car engine making a knocking noise but keep on driving and hoping the next bump they hit will correct it and it will go away.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 09:09 AM
link   

I may be hit by a truck but my kid and grandkids will continue, I would rather them not have to grow up in a biodome.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   
I think it's possible that the Earth may be able to correct herself!

Trouble is we may be tippexed over in the process.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 02:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Psychoparrot

you right Earth may be able to correct herself but what people should understand it will happen only if we are not living in this earth ! so this idea that Earth may be able to correct herself it's a fantasy, it will not happen

One planet is not enough to meet our needs and to absorb our waste. Now humanity's needs exceed 50% of available resources, which have almost halved since 1961,Pointing out that the risk of pollution (chemical, radioactive, etc..) Are not included in this study.

I think people don't understand or don't want understand it , what is the most shoking is no one will destroy his home, we all take care about our things, our car, our house, our littel object, but the most important to take care of our commune home people avoid it, we should understand that what is happening is historical, humanity for the first time of his life, i mean us yea WE have a goal, it is a duty, we must make a choice overall, that's the reason i say it is historical, that is why I am shocked by the lack of response, the economy, politics, religions, all this will have no more reason to be... we are truly in a crossroad , what are we going to do ? there will be no savior to take us out from this situation, this our big test ! are we made to live together or to disappear together. it's time to make a choice.

edit on 24-8-2012 by pitchdragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Population, population, population...

Telling people to shut off their AC, eat less food, switch off the lights, bla bla is well intentioned but cannot solve the problem in the long run.

I agree completely with environmental protection regardless of the consumption issue. However. What is the purpose of living ever more controlled lives, with an ever growing list of "can't dos" just so we can have more humans on the planet? What is the purpose of that? Why do we need more humans on the planet? Why degrade our lives to make overpopulation sustainable? Restrict the damn population!

Because it is really one ideology or the other. That foundation is obviously too politically correct to tell it like it is.

And the real up and coming problem by the way is not western consumption so much - when the huge populations in Asia transition to the first world, global consumption will skyrocket. Right now the average westerner is consuming roughly 10x as much as the average Chinese or Indian, it's going to get ugly when their populations demand western lifestyles as they're already starting to do.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   
To begin to live in a more green way takes a bit of hard work which would seem to be just too much for the average person, even to simply recycle their plastic containers!

But I have to say to myself, did I really need this iPad, am I prepared to give up my car? Etc. The change in lifestyle needed to save humanity in time just isn't going to happen - unless forced upon us by natural or unnatural means.

We also go on endlessly about Our basic human rights. What happens to them when there is not enough food to go round? Human rights - pure fantasy of western civilisation. Funny how we do not have the right to end our lives when old and sick, even when near death. This might have to be looked at again in our over populated hungry world!

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   
When I read it the phase that popped into my mind was carrying capacity. I thing that we hit that quite sometime ago. But when factoring in the ability to absorb our waste, how could anyone truly measure that?

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   
August 22nd is/was my 52nd birthday..Woot..

that's all i have to say about August 22nd....

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join