It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

devastating solar storms expected to knock out National Grid in 2013

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   
This is the mainstream media discussing the possibility that the national grid will be knocked out next year if we get direct hits from the sun.

The ms media has been ramping up info on these storms over the last 12months.

All media has been picking up on large flares warning that there could be minor issues here when flares hit. YOu would often see stories in print media but this year i noticed when flares were due to hit it was making the hourly news stories on the tv and radio. this had not happend before.

Next year the sun is due to peak in current 11year solar storm cycle. Interesting how they have been informing the public over the last 12months or so about solar storms. Educating the wider population. I was a little surprised by how much the msm was covering solar flares. It now seems it was merely in preparation for this event expected next year.

( or then again maybe the msm just stirring the BS pot)

anyway.....

A space professor from Oxfordshire is battling 'to save Earth' from a solar storm that experts fear will wreak worldwide chaos next year.

Professor Mike Hapgood, who chairs the Space Environment Impacts Experts Group (SEIEG) and advises the Government on space weather, says solar storms, generated by an outburst from the sun, are set to knock out national power grids and Global Positioning Systems.

He believes magnetic rays from the storm will result in widespread blackouts which will plunge homes and businesses into darkness.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

Worldwide chaos. hmm

National Grid and GPS expected to go down if burst from sun hits our planet
Sun will reach peak of 11-year solar storm cycle next year, and magnetic storms could knock out most of Earth's electrical items
A big storm in 1859 knocked out early telegraph systems - but world is much more depend

www.dailymail.co.uk...

edit on 22-8-2012 by lacrimaererum because: fixing link
edit on 22-8-2012 by lacrimaererum because: (no reason given)
extra DIV

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   
I thought this was going to happen this year, 2012....

Well, I guess I just have to wait a little longer..... Is SPF 30 ok?

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Where have I heard this before?

While its a very real possibility, I can't help but feel this whole thing is just fear mongering. Should we be prepared for such a thing? Absolutely. Should we assume utter chaos will ensue and the world as we know it will end? Probably not.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by jough626

might wanaa go a bit higher than 30 if your sensitive to sun. i know folk this year that are sensitive to getting burnt being effected in much shorter timeframes.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by lacrimaererum

says solar storms, generated by an outburst from the sun, are set to knock out national power grids and Global Positioning Systems.

No. He doesn't. He says that a severe geomagnetic storm could cause severe problems.

He believes magnetic rays from the storm will result in widespread blackouts

No. He doesn't. There is no such thing as magnetic rays.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeadSeraph
Where have I heard this before?

usually only on conspiracy sites. thats why i thought it was interesting its in MSM.

its a little odd MSM engages in fear mongering like this. an event that could hit in the next 6 months. usually msm only engage in widescale devastation stories that could occur much futher , decades usually, into the future.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Link is broken but NASA confirmed the possibility of something like this happening specifically in the beginning of 2013:

articles.baltimoresun.com...

Well, I can't find a DIRECT NASA link, but I see a lot of articles talking about how NASA said something.
edit on 8/22/2012 by impaired because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by impaired

Link is broken but NASA confirmed the possibility of something like this happening specifically in the beginning of 2013:

Please provide information from NASA specifically confirming the beginning of 2013.

A severe geomagnetic storm can happen at virtually any time. Next week, next month, next year, not for 10 years, not for 200 years. No one has the ability to predict them at this time.

Well, I can't find a DIRECT NASA link, but I see a lot of articles talking about how NASA said something.
yup.
edit on 8/22/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

A severe geomagnetic storm can happen at virtually any time. Next week, next month, next year, not for 10 years, not for 200 years. No one has the ability to predict them at this time.

yes of course.

but i am guessing they are highlighting next year because it is the peak of 11year cycle?

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by impaired

thanks. have tweaked link.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

Please provide information from NASA specifically confirming the beginning of 2013.

yup.

"Deny Ignorance"

Edit:

At the very least, Michio Kaku and many other QUALIFIED people are saying something could go down. You can argue semantics with me, but you can not argue EXPERTS.
edit on 8/22/2012 by impaired because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   
the threat does exist

but I don't think they can accurately predict it

unless they need hits on their blog I guess

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   
www.dailymail.co.uk...

i see the same msm had flagged this story 2 years ago. looks like they are now revisiting.

A massive solar flare could cause global chaos in 2013, causing blackouts and wrecking satellite communications, a conference heard yesterday.

Nasa has warned that a peak in the sun's magnetic energy cycle and the number of sun spots or flares around 2013 could generate huge radiation levels.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   

At the very least, Michio Kaku and many other QUALIFIED people are saying something could go down. You can argue semantics with me, but you can not argue EXPERTS.

Semantics? This is what you said:

Link is broken but NASA confirmed the possibility of something like this happening specifically in the beginning of 2013
You should have left it with your little "oops" remark.

"Something could go down" at any time. That's what the experts say and that is what I said.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   
i suppose this might be why russia felt the need to build and extra 5000 underground shelters to be completed this year.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   

What good would underground shelters be if power grids shut down?

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

i'm guessing there could be a lot of potential problems.

we all seen the problems encountered by japan when their nuclear reactors had to cope with the power of nature.

how are your nuclear reactors going to cope? this is only one industry that may not cope well with major power disruption. russia will hide underground. hence more bunkers.

good thing cern is shutting down shortly too for a year or two.

edit on 22-8-2012 by lacrimaererum because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   

how are your nuclear reactors going to cope? this is only one industry that may not cope well with major power disruption. russia will hide underground. hence more bunkers.

I don't have any nuclear reactors but a loss of power is not exactly the same as a tsunami crashing through a nuclear power plant. Nuclear facilities have provisions for the loss of electrical power. Fukushima did until the tsunami sort of ruined them.

Not sure what you mean about CERN.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

of course nuclear facilities have provsions to deal with power outages.

can they deal with extraordinary power outages? an extreme event caused during the peak of a solar storm cycle?

i think if this event occured it would be a little more than a simple loss of electrical power. nuclear facilities have to write up procedures to deal with power outages. do they have procedures to deal with extraordinary events like tsunami's or exceptional solar flares? i think fukushima answered that question.

(btw don't mind my silly cern comment. cern is a contained facility. it cannot be effected by any external events and it cannot cause any external events. its very safe and very contained. nothing to worry about, just rattling the cage for fun)

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   

can they deal with extraordinary power outages? an extreme event caused during the peak of a solar storm cycle?

What is an extraordinary power outage? Is that when the power really, really goes out as opposed to just going out?

do they have procedures to deal with extraordinary events like tsunami's or exceptional solar flares? i think fukushima answered that question.

Fukushima did have a seawall. Too bad it wasn't high enough. But that's not the same thing as a geomagnetic storm. The only effect of a geomagnetic storm is on power grids (which they can damage) and satellites. If the power goes out the emergency generators come online.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join