It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spanish fresco restoration botched by amateur

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Spanish fresco restoration botched by amateur
(bbc.co.uk)

An elderly parishioner has stunned Spanish cultural officials with an alarming and unauthorised attempt to restore a prized Jesus Christ fresco.

"The once-dignified portrait now resembles a crayon sketch of a very hairy monkey in an ill-fitting tunic"

Wow, that is one heckuva restoration... but who knows? This might be how the real Christ looked... certainly an improvement over the typical blonde-haired, blue-eyed Teutonic version we're used to seeing.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Those eyes she painted seem to follow you if you move. I vote to let her finish it.
edit on 22-8-2012 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   
I hardly see any difference at all! Good job I say!
Reminds me of this glorious restoration!

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   
I couldn't stop laughing for a few minutes. It entirely resembles Sasquatch. I remember learning back in high school about how difficult it was to maintain and restore fresco artwork. It's upsetting that someone would do this, but not surprising in the least.

Also, to the user who said that the eyes follow you, they really do, in the most eerie way!

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   
i'm glad i wasnt drinking anything when i saw that pic or i'd be cleaning a computer screen right now.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Qumulys

I brought up Mr Bean in the other thread about her hilarious restoration, that scene was the first thing i thought of when reading this.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Vicker

Great minds! There's another thread? This should probably be closed then.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Qumulys

Yes, not sure where it is, but i saw it last night. It has a bit more activity than this one

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   
ha ha ha!!!!
that is funny!
reminds me of this:

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Good...maybe nobody will be mad when they find out that I restored the Mona Lisa.

If step back and squint you almost can't tell the difference. Herp Derp.
edit on 22-8-2012 by The_Phantom because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   

The woman, in her 80s, was reportedly upset at the way the fresco had deteriorated and took it on herself to "restore" the image.

One would have to think that anyone who would "take it on herself" to restore a fresco, would only do so because they thought they had the required painting skills. This mess looks like it was her first time ever touching a paint brush.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Teresa Garcia, granddaughter of Elias Garcia Martinez, said the woman had painted the tunic before, but the fresco got disfigured when she painted Christ's head.

Hilarious! She started with the simplest part of the painting?? Something tells me she knew right from the get-go what the extent of her painting abilities was. And now Christ is a Chinese lady in Spain.

new topics

top topics

join