It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I need help with 1 statistical problem. Pretty Please.. Sugar on top...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Well, I finished all my assignments and right now I have a 99.6% in the class but in order to get my 100% I need help with this problem. I have tried every alternative but I can't figure out where in the world they are coming up with 744,431.744.

All the possibilities that I come up with are way too big to be that number.

Any clue? I have until October to figure this one question out.

edit on 22-8-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   
I don't want to be doing your homework for you.

For starters, the x with the line over it means the average (mean) of all the x's. That is, you add up all 12 of the numbers (incomes) then divide by how many there are. In this case, there are 12 numbers and so you would add up all the numbers and then divide by 12 to get the value of the mean (the "x" with the line over it).

Then you take each individual number and subtract the mean from it, then square the result that you get.

Now that funny looking thing that sort of looks like a capital E (Σ) is really a capital greek "S" called sigma.
When you see that, you add up things for every repeating math operation. In this case, you would add up each of the twelve results that you got when you subtracted the mean from it and then squared what you got from there.

The exact result should come out as 744431.774266667 (or something close) on a calculator, but as the bottom is recommending, just use the approximation that is given.

I would use a spreadsheet program so I can keep track of all the numbers and do multiple mathematical calculations on them together while keeping them organized in nice rows or columns.

Hope this helps you get started.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

I get the correct answer as shown below.

Perhaps you are dividing the sum of the difference of squares by 12 when only the average is divided by 12.

Best regards,
Z

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   
If I had your email, I could send you and excel file that calculates std for you. I think the big number is the results under the sq root symbol in the Std. Dev. formula...

NOTE: n-1 is 11, not 12.
edit on 22-8-2012 by 5pooky because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by davidchin
I don't want to be doing your homework for you.

For starters, the x with the line over it means the average (mean) of all the x's. That is, you add up all 12 of the numbers (incomes) then divide by how many there are. In this case, there are 12 numbers and so you would add up all the numbers and then divide by 12 to get the value of the mean (the "x" with the line over it).

Then you take each individual number and subtract the mean from it, then square the result that you get.

Now that funny looking thing that sort of looks like a capital E (Σ) is really a capital greek "S" called sigma.
When you see that, you add up things for every repeating math operation. In this case, you would add up each of the twelve results that you got when you subtracted the mean from it and then squared what you got from there.

The exact result should come out as 744431.774266667 (or something close) on a calculator, but as the bottom is recommending, just use the approximation that is given.

I would use a spreadsheet program so I can keep track of all the numbers and do multiple mathematical calculations on them together while keeping them organized in nice rows or columns.

Hope this helps you get started.

Thank you for guiding her towards how to come up with the correct answer, instead of doing it for her..

I think that is the type of help she is and should be looking for.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   
I applaud you all for the answers that you have come up with so far regarding this question.......

It would have been easier for me to read the telephone book.......

Maths was never my strong point.......

Far out........brill

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   
This is not a homework question, this is an example of how to do the homework question. So, therefore in reality you are not doing my problem.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   
what I am doing is taking the 51,157.60 and subtracting it with 4263.133 then square rooting it but I am coming up with 21999091035 not the 774,431.774 #

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Duh...

I figured it out.

I forgot to make my table.

If I did that in the first place, I wouldn't of lost myself. Got it.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by davethebear
I applaud you all for the answers that you have come up with so far regarding this question.......

It would have been easier for me to read the telephone book.......

Maths was never my strong point.......

Far out........brill

My problem is not so much math, but in stubbornness. Meaning why in the world are they squaring the remainder after the average is removed? What could that possibly reflect in reality? I'm not doing it until somebody tells me! Nope! Crossing arms and slumping in chair like a spoiled child.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 12:11 AM
link   

This one problem is annoying. I am doing it by hand, irking me off. I'm always like one number off or one number off the dang decimal.

surprised I haven't maxed out unlimited tries by now.

edit on 23-8-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 02:05 AM
link   
Well it's about dang time....

FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aced all my homework until Oct.

Such an idiot, what was making it decimals off is that I was looking at the wrong d.f on the table. I should of looked at 11 when I kept using the 12. Duh................I even kept subtracting the 12 to make 11 but kept looking at 12 the whole time. Only took 6 hours and 23 minutes to figure it out.
If I did that the first time, it would of been right.

Now I can relax.

Ahhhhhhhhhh.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 03:46 AM
link   
High 5 to those who have the answer and for helping the young lady out.
Now on a more concerning note? I don't get "It" with or without the correct answer.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 04:08 AM
link   
basically what the problem was asking and how to do it.

You have to make a table first with the numbers provided. After you make your table it will fall into place

so x = the numbers provided

count the rows and columns = 12 (4 rows, 3 columns)

Then total x and divide by 12 which is the mean

TI83
Click STAT, 1. EDIT [enter] after all the numbers are in one line LN1, LN2, LN3
Click STAT, right to CALC, 1. 1-var STATS and [enter]

whatever LN you put the numbers in, put that number. LN3 is the line I used.

So,

2ND LN3 [ENTER]

x-dash is 4236.133

Now we need to find S, which is already given to you if you used the CALC, but if you do it by hand

x-x dash , then x-x dash ^2 with each number. After you do that to all 12 numbers take the column with P(C) (x-x dash)^2 and add them together. And this is X

take X - [x dash] and divide by 12 , then take that answer and do (radical [answer])

260.145 this is standard deviation

After you find the standard deviation then look for a confidence level of 90%, 80% 99% and you will use a t-distribution table

take 12 and subtract it with it 1 = 11

confidence level =.95

So let's do 95%

2.2010 ( 260.145 / radical (12) ) 165.289

take the 165.289

add and subtract it to 4236.133 and your answers are

Pretty sure that's right. I think I memorized the steps after 6 hours.

top topics

join