It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia may evacuate Syrian base, says Navy chief

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Russia may evacuate Syrian base, says Navy chief

The Russian Navy may evacuate the Syrian port of Tartus in the event of a hostile attack, the military branch’s chief was quoted as by Russia Today.

The personnel on duty at the base will be moved out of the area if need be, Vice Adm. Viktor Chirkov said during a radio interview.

Such a move, however, would require the direct order of the president, Chirkov added.

click link for remainder of story.

edit on 22-8-2012 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Im not surpruised at all to see this. Its a signal, in my opinion, to Assad, that Russia is not going to get involved should a conflict occur.

Its been stated many times that Russia is not going to risk their own interests in order to protect Syria. While it requires Putins approval the fact a senior Russian military officer has suggested this possibility tells me its something Putin knows about and has been briefed on.

The Naval chief is not going to make a comment of that magnitude on his own without approval.
edit on 22-8-2012 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Didn't Russia say an attack against Syria is like a direct attack to Russia?
..Perhaps that was only Iran and not Syria i may be mistaken.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheIlluminatedOne

While Russia supports Assad / Syria and have argued against military action, certain people on this site have repeatedely stated Russia will intervene on Syrias side should hositilities break out. They went so far as to suggest Russia would use wmd's aginst the countries that participate in an action against Syria.

Iran has made threats against nations, including Israel, that if an attack occurs on Syria Iran will repond. The deployment of Russian naval units in Syria were viewed by people as taking up a position to deter an attack on Syria by deploying their military to directly engage attacking forces.

Russia is not going to jeopradize their own country / eceonomy / etc over a country like Syria, or even Iran for that matter (the latter of which is hosting the North Korean leader in Tehran in the coming days).

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   
This is huge, for several reasons.

1) Russia is now basicly signaling they won't do anything if Turkey, NATO, or even possibly Israel intervine.
2) The US, NATO, and Israel are more likely to attack if they don't have to worry about freakin' out Russia
3) This just made conflict more likely, even if Russia stays out of it.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

Yup Russia seem to have agreed with the terms for allowing a more direct intervention on Syria, the timing for the ending of the WTO agreement is also interesting.

In November 2011, (Syrian uprising started in November 3, 2011), the Working Party on Russia’s accession, chaired by Ambassador Stefán Jóhannesson (Iceland), agreed, ad referendum, on the terms of the country’s membership to the WTO by adopting the package containing reforms to Russia’s trade regime, and the commitments that Russia undertook to implement as part of its WTO accession.. In December 2011, the W.T.O. granted Russia membership. After 19 years of negotiations. The current round of global trade talks started in Doha, Qatar, in November 2001. Negotiations had broken down in July 2008.

Russia’s Accession to the WTO and Its Implications for the United States (PDF)

World Trade Organization accession and membership
edit on 22-8-2012 by Panic2k11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Panic2k11

I did not think about the WTO issue (its been ongoing with Russia for almost 20 years now). I guess its possible their entrance into the WTO may be linked to heir latest action in Syria.

Then again it may be just coincidental as well.

Its one thing to support an ally. It becomes something else entirely when that ally goes beyond certain boundries simply because they think their larger ally will protect them and their actions regardless.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

Im not surpruised at all to see this. Its a signal, in my opinion, to Assad, that Russia is not going to get involved should a conflict occur.

I agree…

I’m glad to see Russia tuck their tail and run, especially after their stand in the UN. A country that is supposedly allied with US and continuously votes the other way deserves to look weak because it is weak when it sides with tyrants.

edit on 23-8-2012 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Yes the Russians are bugging out.I thought all th
e posters said they'd die for Syria?I guess they don't even wanna get one of their ships scratched.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra

While Russia supports Assad / Syria and have argued against military action, certain people on this site have repeatedely stated Russia will intervene on Syrias side should hositilities break out. They went so far as to suggest Russia would use wmd's aginst the countries that participate in an action against Syria.

Iran has made threats against nations, including Israel, that if an attack occurs on Syria Iran will repond. The deployment of Russian naval units in Syria were viewed by people as taking up a position to deter an attack on Syria by deploying their military to directly engage attacking forces.

Russia is not going to jeopradize their own country / eceonomy / etc over a country like Syria, or even Iran for that matter (the latter of which is hosting the North Korean leader in Tehran in the coming days).

I see what you did there?

You made assumptions about Russia and then tried to go that little bit further and demonize Iran.

Iran confirms N. Korea's Kim Jong-un won't attend NAM summit

source
North Korea had absolutely nothing to do with this article or thread, neither does Iran.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by munkey66

And had you bothered to read you would see the post of mine that you quoted was in response to another posters post.

way to pay attention

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 01:09 AM
link   
The Russians are like the Sand People, "...they scare easily, but they'll soon be back, and in greater numbers." Obi Wan Kenobi on Tusken Raiders.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 01:15 AM
link   

And had you bothered to read you would see the post of mine that you quoted was in response to another posters post.

way to pay attention

and that was a very convincing straw man argument
Where was north Korea mentioned by TheIlluminatedOne ?

lets play some more then

Iran has made threats against nations
Nations? which nations?
If you mean threatening to defend itself as a threat, well all countries are guilty of that aren't they?

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 01:22 AM
link   

As much as Russia has invested in natural resources in Iran it would make sense for them...Syria however...Im not sure that Russia really has anything of worth vested in them...so they would be on their own.....Gahdaffi style it would seem.

Iran however is a whole different monster.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 05:01 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 05:26 AM
link   

But I did read it, over and over again and what I have noticed is that you answered TheIlluminatedOne question and then added extra content which had no truth about Kim Jong-un attending the NAM summit in Iran which had no bearing at all on the subject at hand.

I do read carefully and deliberately to see how people like to use places like these forums for pushing a general idea

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Panic2k11

Not to mention Putin's visit to Israel not too long ago
possibly discussing the same scenario and/or subject...Russia's role in the ME conflict. It all adds up just fine

edit on 23-8-2012 by hp1229 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by SrWingCommander
This is huge, for several reasons.

1) Russia is now basicly signaling they won't do anything if Turkey, NATO, or even possibly Israel intervine.
2) The US, NATO, and Israel are more likely to attack if they don't have to worry about freakin' out Russia
3) This just made conflict more likely, even if Russia stays out of it.

I completely agree Commander. It seems that recent logistical moves by Turkey had a great effect on Russian projections in the region and in effect caused them to change their tune. Turkey is holding big cards in this poker game.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Maybe Russia have got a little more sense than to get involved in this fight. Let's hope the leaders in the west do the same thing. Although US troops are on Stand by. Will they be fighting alongside the Al Qaeda backed Rebels.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Soon as they leave, US/Turkey/Israel are going in.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join