It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anger problems after getting back to school shots

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Hey guys, I've tried rationalizing this and I don't really think that the shots are to blame, but my mom does.

My little brother (4 years old) got his second round of shots a few months ago. These are the standard going to school shots you're supposed to get to attend public school. Ever since then he's been acting very badly.

He's always been a strong willed kid, and hard headed as hell, but he's been different. He's been mean to his mom and to his brothers (the ones that live at the house, I don't and he's been mostly fine with me, with few attitude problems). He has become completely belligerent and unmanageable at times. He went so far as to start kicking and biting mom a week or two ago.

I want to be clear, he isn't always that bad. He's still a normal kid, it's just that his bad attitudes have gotten worse. His mood hasn't really been changed, he's still pretty much happy go lucky unless he doesn't get his way. And even then, he'd rather ignore what you said and do it anyway than start being a demon.

She's tried a lot of things, from time out to spanking to taking his toys away, etc. Nothing seems to work. Getting his dad to discipline works for a time, but not too long.

It's, obviously, worst around bedtime.

They just moved into a different house, not too long after the shots. The acting out began while they were still in the other house, a couple days after the shots. My mom correlates the shots with the attitude, as if they changed his hormones or something. I suppose it's possible, just unlikely. I kind of think it has to do with the move and then his going to pre-k.

I know we have a lot of people here who are completely against any vaccinations at all, that's not what I'm really looking for. I'm just curious if anybody has had similar experiences or heard of any.

IMO, he's just being a normal kid with some attitude problems.

Thoughts?

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Sounds like he's dealing with a lot of new situations. New home, starting pre-k, that's a lot of change for a little fella. Give him some time to adjust to the changes, and I think the anger may lessen considerably.

Some suggestions that might help now;

a structured routine (this makes kids feel comfortable, because they know what to expect. if his anger is fear related, this should help)

plenty of sleep (does he still take a nap? if not, he may need one. lack of sleep makes everyone grouchy)

avoid sugar and caffeine, possibly red dye

Hopefully things will calm down soon. Keep us informed!

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Maybe he's getting bullied

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

He takes a nap when mom has the energy to fight with him long enough to get him down. Some days he takes one, others he doesn't.

He doesn't drink caffine very often, eats sugar but not too much.

The routine isn't very erratic, but I do see what you mean. I think pretty much similarly to what you do, he's just stressed.

@realspoke,

He started this before school began, like, several months before. He's not around other kids very often. We live in the country and mom stays at home. He's always with me, mom, or grandma.
edit on 22-8-2012 by Mr Headshot because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   
enviornment could be a major factor. hes also a little kid and as you've said hes not around many other kids since you live in the country. im gonna go out on a limb and say that hes acting out like this because hes got alot of excess energy. and not enough contact with other children

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr Headshot

I knew a little kid who got this round of shots and didn't talk again for 5 years.

The mother is responsible for this.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr Headshot

I'm with Environmental cause on the surface. Without getting stuck down to the nuts and bolts of the family dynamic, and looking into EVERY possible pathway I'll take a generic response:

Needles are scary for any child, this is something people dont seem to understand. Someone jabbing you with something at that age is akin to violence and CAN be traumatic (hence the use of lollies or sweets after the shot). Some children simply dont "get over" the betrayal of trust. IE -

Mother takes little johnny to the doctors for his shot(s), shots get done and Little Johnnys arm is killing him, he knows if he gets punched in the arm by his brothers it hurts like this and mum punishes them (time out etc), however why was the strange man not punshed?!

That is the "usual" rationalism of a child to what just happened, and then turns into a breach of trust from that stand point. So its quite possible he is simply lashing out because of that?

Again the above is all based on assumption without interacting with the child or/and seeing the dynamic of the family i have assumed a number of variables - Family of 3 or more children, the subject is the youngest child, the family has at least 2 (Subject & Brother) males.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke
Maybe he's getting bullied

Was just going to say that! Many kids who are stricken by a parent at home go on to accept various forms of punishment from peers upon entering school. It's at home where they learn their place in the world. Sounds like his may be at the end of a paddle or hand!

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by chasingbrahman

Nope.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   
It is possible that someone could form behavioral changes from the shots, but it's not common and the effects shouldn't last longer than a couple weeks or so. I'm not saying that it can't last longer but it usually doesn't. There are always going to be side effects in people from vaccines and medications. Even natural medicine has side effects many times. If your mother is concerned have her ask the doctor about it, they may know how long the effect may last. If the doctor senses anger or frustration on the parents part, the doctor may get defensive and deny anything is possible and try to blame it on the mother's perception.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Find out how to submit your public comments

See the link above for:
Action Alert - Institute of Medicine accepting public comment on proposed vaccine safety study

Here's another link for more vaccine news Source

top topics

join