It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GOP Announces Convention Theme “We Built This” In Stadium Built With 62% Government Funds

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by WP4YT

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher

Yes because I worked hard for that money. The government didn't. And I would have rather given my money to a private company whom I could hold them to their word to build roads, than to the government who usually just wastes most of it.

The highway system is a waste of money???

That is an odd position to take...but I guess whatever it takes to not admit you are wrong.

No it's not, but no doubt the government wasted countless millions of dollars while making it. They are known for not being overly efficient. Just look at the city of Detroit, they are still paying $60,000+ a year for a horseshoer/blacksmith, even though they haven't had any horses for 40 years. Government is known for wasting and wasting money. And why not? It's not their money to spend, so why should politicians care how they spend it?

Private companies are a better solution, because you know they will not waste money they are spending on projects, since it's their money.

And I fail to see how it applies. My business doesn't use the roads, it's all online. And the government didn't invent the internet

Um, yes...the government did infact fund the research that resulted in the internet.

So yest...government helped build your business...you should thank them.

It's really impossible to say one way or the other. There were so many early prototypes of the internet from many different sources, such as private companies and universities to name a few.

It's not impossible to say. Those companies and universities were all working under DARPA grants. The fact is, the government invented and owns the internet.
edit on 23-8-2012 by TruthSeekerMike because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by theconspirator
They are really taking that out of context quote and running for their lives with it. It making them look pretty stupid IMO

Obama said what he said. It could not have been more clear.

To the OP...Where do "government funds" come from exactly?

I find it more amusing that the Democrat Party is holding their convention at "Bank of America Stadium" but refuse to even mention the correct name of the stadium.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Since all the MSM/DNC lemmings are regurgitating the media spin, thought I'd post what he said, which was that small business owners didn't build their business.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by PvtHudson

And here is the rest of it. Note the part where he says the point is. That would be where you should take note. Most logical people understand this.

( Look, if you've been successful, you didn't get there on your own. You didn't get there on your own. I'm always struck by people who think, well, it must be because I was just so smart. There are a lot of smart people out there. It must be because I worked harder than everybody else. Let me tell you something -- there are a whole bunch of hardworking people out there.

If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you've got a business -- you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen. The Internet didn't get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet.

The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together. There are some things, just like fighting fires, we don't do on our own. I mean, imagine if everybody had their own fire service. That would be a hard way to organize fighting fires.

So we say to ourselves, ever since the founding of this country, you know what, there are some things we do better together. That's how we funded the GI Bill. That's how we created the middle class. That's how we built the Golden Gate Bridge or the Hoover Dam. That's how we invented the Internet. That's how we sent a man to the moon. We rise or fall together as one nation and as one people, and that's the reason I'm running for President -- because I still believe in that idea. You're not on your own, we're in this together. )

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 07:56 AM
link   

No the government didn't provide anything. They take our hard earned money and use it to do things. We still built it, not them.

Sorry, but you didn't build the roads, or any other government funded program.

And I willingly pay my taxes so I can live in a better society...funny how you think the money is taken from you, but then still try to take credit for what is done with it

Yes because I worked hard for that money. The government didn't. And I would have rather given my money to a private company whom I could hold them to their word to build roads, than to the government who usually just wastes most of it.

And I fail to see how it applies. My business doesn't use the roads, it's all online. And the government didn't invent the internet - remember, Al Gore did.

edit on 22-8-2012 by WP4YT because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-8-2012 by WP4YT because: (no reason given)

Everything that went into building your home and everything in your home including your computer at one point was on a truck that used the roads and if you ship anything from your home at some point is back on trucks so you would be completely wrong.

edit on 23-8-2012 by Grimpachi because: spelling

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by jjkenobi
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

Um, stadiums and arenas get built all the time with no government funding. It's usually in places where there is enough public demand and private investors will see a return on their money.

Yes, bond are sold to fund the construction of the stadium or arena.

The investors receive an interest payment on their investment.

-----------
The GOP Convention has good news this year. God is on our side.

Tropical Storm Isaac will blow Joe Biden and the other protesters off the parking lot

and into nearby trees.

The timing couldn't be better. Thank you God !

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Let's not forget that all those "green energy" companies that are now kaput. They sure didn't build it themselves...they had all that help via government $$$ (my money).

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by OccamsRazor04
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

What Obama said is truly disgusting, but the disgusting part was not the "you didn't build that" part, so not sure why that's what they ran with. Technically, they are the government, so they are correct, they did build it.

truly disgusting? yeah, i guess if you want america to have an economy similar to afghanistans, or for the country to plunge into anarchy, or devolve into a corporate plutocracy.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   

It's really impossible to say one way or the other. There were so many early prototypes of the internet from many different sources, such as private companies and universities to name a few.

In case you hadn't already noticed, most all of your posts ooze with ignorance. Could you provide some evidence of these "early prototypes of the internet from many different sources?" Even if you could provide this evidence, don't you find it odd that the internet we use today is the one developed by our government and not one of those other prototypes? I mean really, just assuming that what you said was true and that there were numerous other internet prototypes out there, doesn't the fact that we're using the one developed by our government mean that they did the best job of developing it?

The internet was created by the U.S. government as a means by which to guarantee mutual assured destruction, (MAD) in the event that the U.S.S.R. were to initiate a nuclear first strike. Furthermore, it was Al Gore who introduced legislation which eventually made this internet available for public use.

Personally, I think we should take a bunch of you "I built this" republicans to a deserted island, leave you there without any assistance and come back in a few years to see just exactly what you have managed to build by yourselves. I'd just bet that we'd come back to find that your biggest accomplishments were a makeshift raft and a soccer ball companion named Wilson who by the way, came from an outside source.

To the OutKast Searcher, F&S for the OP!

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flatfish

In case you hadn't already noticed, most all of your posts ooze with ignorance. Could you provide some evidence of these "early prototypes of the internet from many different sources?" Even if you could provide this evidence, don't you find it odd that the internet we use today is the one developed by our government and not one of those other prototypes? I mean really, just assuming that what you said was true and that there were numerous other internet prototypes out there, doesn't the fact that we're using the one developed by our government mean that they did the best job of developing it?

The internet was created by the U.S. government as a means by which to guarantee mutual assured destruction, (MAD) in the event that the U.S.S.R. were to initiate a nuclear first strike. Furthermore, it was Al Gore who introduced legislation which eventually made this internet available for public use.

Personally, I think we should take a bunch of you "I built this" republicans to a deserted island, leave you there without any assistance and come back in a few years to see just exactly what you have managed to build by yourselves. I'd just bet that we'd come back to find that your biggest accomplishments were a makeshift raft and a soccer ball companion named Wilson who by the way, came from an outside source.

American Exceptionalism has turned the USA into the only remaining superpower.

Attacking American Exceptionalism was stupid. -- Obama is doomed --

We build our small businesses in spite of the government not because of the government.

Government is not our savior. It's a barrier we have to contend with.

- regulations -

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Eurisko2012

We build our small businesses in spite of the government not because of the government.

- regulations -

Look, nobody does much of anything by themselves and anyone who says they did is on an ego trip.

A quarterback doesn't win a football game without linemen and receivers, a race car driver doesn't win a race without his pit crew and a no-hitter baseball game is not orchestrated by the pitcher alone, but is only accomplished with the help of fielders. It's only when we ban together that big gains are made.

While I agree that there are some "government regulations" in place that are counter-productive in every respect, they are usually the one's put in place by congressional representatives who have succumb to special interest lobbyist for the purpose of stymieing competition and/or evading taxation. Anything can be corrupted and more often than not, the trail leading to those responsible for the corruption is littered with money. If you want to put an end to bad regulations, then first we have to put an end to paid lobbying.

For the most part, I believe that government regulation is the only thing standing between a somewhat clean environment and unfettered polluting in the quest for more profits to shareholders. The same could be said for government regulations put in place to protect banking depositors from reckless speculation. Look what happened with the repeal of the Glass/Steagall Act. I could go on, but I won't. The point is, a good government that is truly Of, By & For it's people should not be viewed as your adversary because in doing so, you have declared that the people it represents are also your adversaries and they make bad customers.

How about let's fix our government as opposed to condemning it?

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   

- regulations -

Look, nobody does much of anything by themselves and anyone who says they did is on an ego trip.

A quarterback doesn't win a football game without linemen and receivers, a race car driver doesn't win a race without his pit crew and a no-hitter baseball game is not orchestrated by the pitcher alone, but is only accomplished with the help of fielders. It's only when we ban together that big gains are made.

While I agree that there are some "government regulations" in place that are counter-productive in every respect, they are usually the one's put in place by congressional representatives who have succumb to special interest lobbyist for the purpose of stymieing competition and/or evading taxation. Anything can be corrupted and more often than not, the trail leading to those responsible for the corruption is littered with money. If you want to put an end to bad regulations, then first we have to put an end to paid lobbying.

For the most part, I believe that government regulation is the only thing standing between a somewhat clean environment and unfettered polluting in the quest for more profits to shareholders. The same could be said for government regulations put in place to protect banking depositors from reckless speculation. Look what happened with the repeal of the Glass/Steagall Act. I could go on, but I won't. The point is, a good government that is truly Of, By & For it's people should not be viewed as your adversary because in doing so, you have declared that the people it represents are also your adversaries and they make bad customers.

How about let's fix our government as opposed to condemning it?

The - Mountain - of paperwork that small businesses have to contend with is a disgrace.

They could better spend their time growing their companies and hiring more people.

BTW, it not an accident. Obama has been throwing out - unending - regulations

everyday. Obama - HATES - the private sector.

------------
Fix our government? Fine.

Reduce the size of the U.S. government.

Shut down the Dept. of Education and turn it back to the individual states.

Stop with the Quantitative Easing at the Federal Reserve.

It's devaluing the US Dollar.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   

-----------
The GOP Convention has good news this year. God is on our side.

Tropical Storm Isaac will blow Joe Biden and the other protesters off the parking lot

and into nearby trees.

The timing couldn't be better. Thank you God !

God likes giving liberals false hope then rips it away from them.

The convention will go on as planned.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Carseller4

Do you guys really think God takes a political side in American politics???

This is a serious question.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Serious answer is yes.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 01:37 AM
link   

A:The government actually created the internet it been around for a long time it was first called arpanet. B we use a different packet switching network today one a British guy came up with C:TCP/IP was invented by a bunch of college students. The internet we know today is nothing like the one from the past.

no it wasn't lol. It was made to allow information to stay safe and allow quick timely responses between different governmental organizations.

Misconceptions of design goals

Common ARPANET lore posits that the computer network was designed to survive a nuclear attack . Wrong!

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4

Serious answer is yes.

It turns out that God has been here all along.

How about that?

Obama should never have been elected. Everyone can see that.

Even Chris Matthews can see that.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 10:25 AM
link   
"We Built This" has nothing to do with Obama's statement. It has everything to do with builders...Freemasonry and those who stand in defiance to the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.
The RR logo is scripted as two 3's. 33

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4

Serious answer is yes.

So in your opinion which side would you say god is on considering the RNC had to cancel the first day of events due to weather?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join