It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Starting An Awareness Program

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I'm not trying to convert or advertise or anything. I'm not going to tell you where it is or who's involved. I just want a few tips from the experts of ATS.

So let me break it down for you: I have a buddy who works with the homeless, and what he's doing is building a following of homeless people who work together to bring money in and support themselves. His premise is that we have overcomplicated our lives, and we need so little to really live, and he wants to show that using the homeless people as a sort of "demonstration". But it won't stop at the demonstration. He's aiming at a nation-wide movement, where the nomads of America (as he calls them) rise up and support themselves, instead of being herded like sheep from resource to resource at the system's whim. They can help themselves instead of always having to rely on someone else. We even have a clean-up gig, where we go along collecting cigarette butts and putting them in bags, picking up trash, feeding anyone who comes to a public meal, and just providing a random hangout with great company and good music (they play guitar). The small things, and a few not-so-small things, you know. They actually provide a service.

That's the basic story of the program he's working on. It's both to help the homeless, and show the public what the people are trying to do to survive. He's displaying the independence of people on the street. He cooks (he's an amazing chef) and he helps out anyway he can. I admire him, so I decided to pitch in. We're looking at making a Facebook page, a blog, and getting a foundation going so there's money flow. We still have to go over the finer details, but that's where ATS comes in.

What's your advice for getting this program rolling? Sponsors of course, advertisements to get the word out, all that good stuff. I'm sure some of you have businesses, have friends with businesses, or participate in charities and drives that need this kind of attention. Our program needs a good shove, and when the time comes, I'd like to know what I'm doing.

I've been saying for a while now that I want to help the world. Maybe this is my chance? What's your advice for starting a public program?
edit on 22-8-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Sorry I was trying to read your op.. But I was distracted by your AWESOME signature..

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by TechVampyre

I like my avatar better. It just doesn't get better than SSJ2 Gohan.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

I love Dragon Ball Z aha.

I will read your OP now though

ETA: Awesome venture your friends partaking in !

Also, your the guy I robbed the quote off! lol (about perspective)
edit on 22-8-2012 by Sinny because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Nice idea there people! Start with churches and food banks, will help with costs. One thing to keep in mind is to keep records of all money! Since todays world there are so many scams out there that its hard to do anything because of scams. You could try your local paper and see if they will do a story, just don't ask for money! Let the story do it for you. Another thing that helps is a clean shower and cloes, helps with there mood alot! As much as I hate to say this, you will find homeless using you. Find a few who have made a change and put them to use. Being homeless and trying is different than doing nothing for yourself. They will let you know the ones!

I hate Facebook, myspace etc it might work for you though since you can include a paypal donation; I think, to help. Last part is this will comsume most of your life and time, if your rich no problem, doing it for a job and help will drive you to give up soon. Some ideas I've had and hope it helps.

Been there, the shower and a safe place to rest was what I needed the most. Its not like you can get a job if you look like a bum! Beans and ham go along way, one bowl did me all day! Good Luck!

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by infoseeker26754

We're trying to stay away from churches and stuff like that, they get all this funding for the homeless and half of it never sees the streets.

We're doing this on our own, with a couple of sponsors. Publicity is what we need.

top topics

join