It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Researcher creates most powerful MASER ever with spare parts

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wildbob77
Do I need a permit to have a blaster?

Just curious.

We would need to check with the FDA here in the US since they are responsible for that technology. Your comment does bring up an interesting thought though.

As we advance into these areas, at what point does the 2nd amendment loose its effectiveness? While bullets can go through walls lasers / masers will be able to do more than just the wall.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

That's a good point.
Would a man-portable Maser weapon fall under fire-arms jurisdiction?

I'm certain some legal maneuvering by law makers would make it so.
There's then all the outdoors-man types that would want to take their shiny new zapper hunt'n.
A whole new season/license for such sort hunting would come into play.

I see this turning into a Pandora's box of new laws should this new development start making headway on the personal weapons front.

Just as there's regulation against full-auto, there'd likely be regulation against power and range, as well as pulse over continuous beam.
Additionally, what keeps a scattered bunch of electronics (that could be assembled into a blaster) in someone's carry on luggage off of a plane?
Bullets and standard firearms parts are recognizable, whereas ray gun parts may not be.

Certainly this technology will have far reaching benefits in other sectors mentioned; medical, communications, etc.
Attention, however, will likely get focused on its facilitation as a weapon should this make its way into the wild on the open source market.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   
I wonder if it is too early to change my name to Han Solo?

Never forget Han shot first haha

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Finally a weapon to defeat the drones!

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by meticulous
For those of you who do not know what MASERS are - they work similar to Lasers but use microwaves instead of light.

Microwave radiation is light...

Radio wave radiation is light too...

Knowing that, you could make MASERS 100 million times more powerful than the one in the OP's article.

edit on 23-8-2012 by senselessness because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL
Finally a weapon to defeat the drones!

Wi-Fi?

It worked for the Iranians supposedly

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 12:34 AM
link   
very cool; just gotta' grow and"dope"the correct crystals

..... Yes it'll probably be "weaponized "someday; but also turned into significant technological advances in communications; and medicine as noted above.
IF I can't have a flying car today. I''ll take steady advances in physics and technology.

("If you gotta high powered maser oven in the kitchen: you didn't build that! Some smart guy in the U.K. did!")

edit on 23-8-2012 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by senselessness

For those of you who do not know what MASERS are - they work similar to Lasers but use microwaves instead of light.

Knowing that, you could make MASERS 100 million times more powerful than the one in the OP's article.

The "Maser" predates the laser (1950's vacuum tube) technology. So If you're so sure of those figures ("100 million times ") have at it. Hardly new technology just an extension of solid state laser technology to lower( microwave band ) frequencies.

We understand more about the physics of "lasing"in 2012 then we did in the50's. So I'm 'sure if it was easy it'd been done.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 12:47 AM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

Any low aircraft, but one would have to know the exact range to avoid collateral hits on non combatants.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Druscilla

*pop* goes the weasel might be a popular song as the melons of the world's least favorite start exploding all over the globe.

Lol that will leave a heck of a mess to clean up.
Cool discovery though. but i dont think it will be open sourced

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Maser technology like this would be better suited to space communications than weapons.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 01:38 AM
link   
It wouldn’t be very good as a weapon from what I read because reflective surfaces would disperse the effect but I still want one.

Seriously I want one.

edit on 23-8-2012 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by senselessness

Technically your right but it was posted that way for a quick easy layman description to show the differences between how MASER (Microwave) and LASER (Light) work without confusing everyone.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 02:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by r2d246
Just a thought... if reality is stranger than fiction, well who knows, I thought I head from somewhere that the ideas and weapons and gagets on the original Star Trek were not the product of imagination. But rather of them being revealed to gene R by some secret source. Maybe as a way to fictionalize them, hide them even more, and make them seem like just product of a sci fi show.

I can assure you, Gene didn't invent the ray gun.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 02:11 AM
link   
Is it a cosmic joke that its easier to create a technology which destroys then create a technology that is productive and helps people?

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 05:27 AM
link   
So does this mean we will see man portable Mason cannons any time soon? Probably not. What about the applications in Fusion, specifically could this help increase or make viable the Tokamak reactors currently in production?

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 05:34 AM
link   
All I need now is a "frikkin" shark to strap this baby onto... muahahaha!

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 06:28 AM
link   
reply to post by SpaceJockey1

Hey, do not forget casual fishing!

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by LiberalSceptic
reply to post by SpaceJockey1

Hey, do not forget casual fishing!

Cooking the fish in the water eh? MAn imagine that. Or cooking your animals while hunting.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy06shake
So does this mean we will see man portable Mason cannons any time soon? Probably not. What about the applications in Fusion, specifically could this help increase or make viable the Tokamak reactors currently in production?

Mason canons, now there's a concept!

(Bavarian Illuminati Blasters, Vatican Vaporizers, Shriner De-Combiners, what fun!)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join