It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DOJ-Holder Backs Down, Approves Virginia Voter ID Law! (2nd victory in 2 weeks!)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   

The Department of Justice decided not to challenge Virginia’s voter ID law Monday, approving the law signed by Gov. Bob McDonnell. According to the liberal “Talking Points Memo,” the bill allows voters to “show a wide range of types of identification to cast a ballot.”

Virginia is one of 16 states covered by the Section 5 pre-clearance provision of the Voting Rights Act, which means any changes to its election laws must be pre-cleared by the Justice Department. Unlike laws in other states like South Carolina, Virginia’s law is a “strict non-photo identification law,” which means Social Security cards, which can already by used in Virginia to vote, in addition to paychecks, utility bills, student IDs, or bank statements can be used as forms of identification at the polls. A concealed handgun permit is also allowed as form of identification to vote under the new law.

Source: www.breitbart.com...

Now, was that so hard Mr. Holder? Now, of course, people will say.... "What's good for the Goose is good for the Gander"-meaning the other 14 states with new voter laws can stop being friously belittle by the FEDs/DOJ/Holder/Obama lawsuits.

Now, we have to get the Obama team to stop trying to deny or deter the US Military vote. Time is getting short.

It would be very interesting to see if the Media would cover the Obama attempts to disenfranchise American voters as if it were George Bush. They really are doing themselves a disfavor by hiding Obama's failures and whatnots.

But anyway, onto Ohio and the remaining states.

edit on 8/22/2012 by anon72 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

This is GREAT news!

But I'm sure that there will those who think this a further loss of rights.

I see it as just plain common sense.
edit on 22-8-2012 by TDawgRex because: AH! My burger!

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Does that include all the southern states that are traditionally red???

Or do they get a pass...no voter fraud there, huh???

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Any law that could prevent even one person that is allowed to vote not to is bad.

Its that simple, maybe if their where provisions to give free voter ID when you register it would be different.

As the law stands its a voter tax, based on the premise you pay for the ID in the first place and should be struck down.

its not about fair, its about winning.
edit on 22-8-2012 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Obama and his thuggery, Holder and associates, are suing states and otherwise making a lot of noise about immigration and voter id laws in an effort to make dumb Americans beg the Democrats for the National ID card. Democrats have wanted to force all Americans to have a National ID card for a very long time and now seem to be succeeding in manipulating dummies into believing that America just can't survive without it.

Incidentally, some people interpret Obamacare as requiring that all Americans have class II implantable devices that can track medical records by March 2013. When you start researching what a class II device is though it is defined as a id card in some places and described as implantable devices such as microchips in other places. I suspect that the Democrats want to enforce the National ID card first and then convert it to a microchips that thugs can use to track everything you and your kids do for the rest of your lives.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

Nice "reach" but way off base.

For the remaining states who had the guts to pass Voter ID laws, only to be challenged at every turn by Obama/Holder

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

I wonder why the change in position...

Political maybe?

Va. investigates voter fraud

Dems Launch Systemized Voter Registration Fraud in Virginia – Romney Demands Investigation

On the flip side the courts have seen a number of cases challenging state voter laws. The rulings in those cases seem to be consistent when it comes to identification requirements for voting (in Virginina the ID law has a no photo provision - meaning any identification, including social security cards, can be used). Rulings have also upheld portions that allow law enforcement to require identification during investigations / police actions (traffic stops etc) to determine the person status.

The fact the DOJ is losing these cases may also be the reason for the DOJ dropping their objections.

ETA - If we look at the battleground map for states in the 2012 Presidential elections a curious blurp on the radar appears.

Texas
Florida
S. Carolina
Florida
Pennsylvania
*Virgina
Alaska
Arizona

All states either leaning Republican or a battleground state (FL/PA/VA) that is essential for a President to win an election. Is this another example of the DOJ and their selective enforcement of the laws?
edit on 22-8-2012 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-8-2012 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

great reply. I believe you can now put PA in the Republican side of things. With them voting the Voter ID law into effect. Philly and Pittsburgh now become less important.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   
OMG, I should have paid more attention...I'd have hit "back" as soon as I saw "breitbart.com". Oh, and that military voting thing, been debunked, numerous times. I have no problem with showing id for voting, but some states are purposefully making it harder on older people and minorities. But apparently you're okay with that, as long as your guy wins. Go ahead and flame me or whatever, I don't care enough to ever come back and read rebuttals.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 02:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by staver
OMG, I should have paid more attention...I'd have hit "back" as soon as I saw "breitbart.com". Oh, and that military voting thing, been debunked, numerous times. I have no problem with showing id for voting, but some states are purposefully making it harder on older people and minorities. But apparently you're okay with that, as long as your guy wins. Go ahead and flame me or whatever, I don't care enough to ever come back and read rebuttals.

" I have no problem with showing id for voting, but some states are purposefully making it harder on older people and minorities "

that is just absolutely ridiculous, gee for months now we have been discussing this crap, and they cant get an id from here till then, (don't dare say how can they they are old, how do they freaking eat, bugs on the window sill? and minorities how is it making it hard for them if your that hard up for 10 bucks dig in the trash and recycle some bottles you'd be amazed how fast ten bucks adds up) . its not like they are making you climb some 500000 ft mountain to obtain it, in my state its free i even asked the lady last time i was there to make sure, and even if its not, the most ive heard anyone charging or trying to charge is less than 15 bucks, i know times are tough, NOT THAT FREAKIN TOUGH,
i know i know its a tax on voting! omfg i cant believe it omg a tax really in this great awesome country of the land of no taxes? did u just wake up, theres a freakin tax on everything but breathing certain food and clothes (which makes no sense to me 5000 Gucci shoes wtf?) that will be next, theres tax on prepared foods cigs, alch, cars, houses, 90% of living in this country, if a 15$ one time tax stops the crap of people re voting, using dead ss, ect ect then so be it id rather pay that one then the 500000000 million other things in this country that ARE taxed and the one tax that makes sense people cry UNFAIR lol f ing retarded
now if it was a 500 dollar tax, and had to be done every year ok, then they are screwing minorities and old people, and possibly the young! but its not and they aren't, if you cant get to the center of your town and come up with 8-15 dollars in a 3-12 months then just /wrist please im done taking care of you

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Excellent news and progress in the right direction. It always used to amaze how the hell the votes are tracked and/or collected/counted during/after an election. It should be fair and simple as there are only finite (300 Million plus) unique records in the US (obviously not all are 18 and above or adults with a right to vote including legal aliens). It shouldn't be too difficult of a task to accomplish to have its own database system to avoid stupidity with respect to voting frauds (malfunctioning voting booth, missing ballots, tampering with actual data and ballots, votes based on missing/deceased individuals etc). I think it should be approved for all the states regardless if they like/approve it or not if they wish to receive part of the federal dollars for certain state programs. I'm getting sick and tired of listening to the height of stupidity before/during/after elections with the voting frauds.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   
A friend of mine misplaced both his social security card and his state photo ID. Anway, I found his driver's license, so everything's okay now.

But before that, we started the process of trying to get a Voter ID since I thought his state photo ID was gone for good. So he went to the Social Security office to get a replacement Social Security card but the person at the desk wouldn't help him unless he had photo ID, but he needed to get the Social Security card to get voter ID.

I know the form for getting the Social Security card replacement says all you need is a birth certificate and an insurance card, but the desk person didn't want to hear that.

So don't tell me it's easy to get ID if you don't have it.

edit on 23-8-2012 by Junkheap because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by ~widowmaker~

24th Amendment

The Twenty-fourth Amendment (Amendment XXIV) prohibits both Congress and the states from conditioning the right to vote in federal elections on payment of a poll tax or other types of tax. The amendment was proposed by Congress to the states on August 27, 1962, and was ratified by the states on January 23, 1964.

Even $0.01 poll tax is unconstitutional. I'm all for voter ID if the states are required to provide free ID's to those that don't have them. I read that SS cards and other non-photo IDs will be allowed and that's great in my opinion. We get an accurate vote and nobody has to shell out money just to exercise their constitutionally protected right to vote.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by anon72

The Department of Justice decided not to challenge Virginia’s voter ID law Monday, approving the law signed by Gov. Bob McDonnell. According to the liberal “Talking Points Memo,” the bill allows voters to “show a wide range of types of identification to cast a ballot.”

Virginia is one of 16 states covered by the Section 5 pre-clearance provision of the Voting Rights Act, which means any changes to its election laws must be pre-cleared by the Justice Department. Unlike laws in other states like South Carolina, Virginia’s law is a “strict non-photo identification law,” which means Social Security cards, which can already by used in Virginia to vote, in addition to paychecks, utility bills, student IDs, or bank statements can be used as forms of identification at the polls. A concealed handgun permit is also allowed as form of identification to vote under the new law.

Source: www.breitbart.com...

Now, was that so hard Mr. Holder? Now, of course, people will say.... "What's good for the Goose is good for the Gander"-meaning the other 14 states with new voter laws can stop being friously belittle by the FEDs/DOJ/Holder/Obama lawsuits.

Now, we have to get the Obama team to stop trying to deny or deter the US Military vote. Time is getting short.

It would be very interesting to see if the Media would cover the Obama attempts to disenfranchise American voters as if it were George Bush. They really are doing themselves a disfavor by hiding Obama's failures and whatnots.

edit on 8/22/2012 by anon72 because: (no reason given)

So now, keeping US citizens from voting is a victory? You realize the US Constitution mentions NOTHING about a State ID? How is it that when it involves rights for white people, the GOP is all out there in arms, but when its the constitutional rights of minorities and poor people, the GOP is silent. This is something that minorities will never let the GOP forget...

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by sensible1

Yeah really... wonder why they didn't mention state or photo ID's when they wrote the Constitution. Hmmmm I just can't figure that out. They also didn't address electronic voting then too. What a bunch of buffoons!

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by jjkenobi

SO you are saying the US Constitution is a "living document" subject to....."interpretation?..." Where is RP on this? Where is the Tea Party on this? Where are all these "Pseudo constitutionalists?" They are showing their true colors... Like the Jim Crow laws, poll taxes (of which this is one btw..) They are thinly veiled racist laws under the guise of patriotism.. and the violate civil rights as well.. If someone is a US citizen, they have the right to vote... PERIOD. Unless white people say they dont... Then they dont... THATS A VICTORY???? If you say yes. You are a racist.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   

You really must be joking? Keeping US citizens from voting? Only white people have state issued ID's?
Your comment does more to promote the very reason WHY voter ID laws are needed and welcomed.

Those same poor people and minorities have been showing an ID to cash a check, run their debit card etc for years.
If you are trying to say that if someone who lives in 2012 doesn't yet have a state issued ID and by asking them to either ASK (some states issue for free) for one or pony up the less than $10 that one would cost is unfair then my friend, no wonder America is falling apart.

"Lordy, I wish I had a ID". "I could just ask for one but that requires some action on my part.".....

It has zero to do with racism and it does NOT infringe upon any right. Period.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   

How is this against old people and minorities?

Are ONLY minorities poor? I mean, seriously, what is the logic there?
I'm a white male AND I'm poor. (I mean, I work my @$$ off, but i'm recently out of college and with student loans + basic living expenses I owe $1,500 in bills every month, so everything I make goes right back to someone else.)
But, whatever, regardless, how is this against minorities? I keep hearing that repeated over and over and over, but I just don't get it.
It basically sounds like people are saying "Whites are rich and minorities are poor. Period." Umm....I don't know who you know or don't know, but I can tell you that that is not true. Maybe on a wide range of population to $$, but on a person to person basis, I know PLENTY of white people who are poor, I also know PLENTY of minorities who aren't.

Again, HOW IS THIS RACIST?????

AND I understand how this may be an 'unconstitutional voting tax,' and I am very very strict about the constitution and staying within it's limits, but by NOT making sure people have proper ID, we are openly ALLOWING people to FRAUD the system. And it IS happening, no question about it. So yes, I think now, in this day and age, we need to make a little adjustment. A one time 'tax' of less than $15 dollars is nothing. I'm sorry, but even beggars make at least 15 bucks a day. If states want to work out a way to make it free, fine. But in the meantime, i think it makes perfect sense to have an ID to vote.

aslidfughawieuch;oaiwhe I'm so sick of people playing the race card.
edit on 23-8-2012 by eleven44 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by chizeled
Obama and his thuggery, Holder and associates, are suing states and otherwise making a lot of noise about immigration and voter id laws in an effort to make dumb Americans beg the Democrats for the National ID card. Democrats have wanted to force all Americans to have a National ID card for a very long time and now seem to be succeeding in manipulating dummies into believing that America just can't survive without it.

Incidentally, some people interpret Obamacare as requiring that all Americans have class II implantable devices that can track medical records by March 2013. When you start researching what a class II device is though it is defined as a id card in some places and described as implantable devices such as microchips in other places. I suspect that the Democrats want to enforce the National ID card first and then convert it to a microchips that thugs can use to track everything you and your kids do for the rest of your lives.

Thank Joseph Smith and God we have the Republicans to protect our liberties from these Democrat-specific conspiracies!

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 02:55 AM
link   

Well, I guess you could call illegals minorities....really you didn't know it's about the illegals? Or are you just willfully closed to it? Wait, you thought you could go to Mexico and vote in their Presidential elections?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join