It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Robotech Technology Limitations

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2004 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Hi all, This is my First Post. I have an interesting topic I Hope. I'm wondering if anyone here can give their feedback on the subject if Technology Like the one seen in the "Robotech" animated series is possible. What are the possibilites and limitations. I know the part about the ability to transform will be most likely out of the question, but the ability to build a mech fighter in robot form should be an interesting task. Any feedback would be appreciated.

posted on Oct, 12 2004 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Well, some machines already transform. There are several fighter jets that change the shape or position of thier wings depending on thier use. Also "jump-jets" and a few helecopters alter thier shape based on use.

As for humanoid robots, don't expect to see any anytime soon. The humanoid form is clumsy and inefficient. The only time we'll see humanoid vehicles is when powersuits start to take on armor plating.

posted on Oct, 12 2004 @ 06:35 PM
link   
I have put some thought into this in the past, well mainly Mechs from Mechwarrior and Battletech.

Beyond the size issues of the outter armour and the weight, there are a few other concerns.

The gyroscopes, the would need to be immense. The stabalizer technology that we have today (hydrolics, actuators, etc) would not be able to keep anything that large standing for long. For one, I have not seen a response time of either technology fast enough to handle the required adjustments to keep a mech standing. Not to mention the strain that would be put on the joints and components.

Just look at the robots created by Sony. Yes they can move around, and move fluidly, but they are slow. Also, in combat a combat situation, slow means death, no matter what type of armour is being used.

Also the amount of energy required would be beyond anything we are capable of doing today. Battlemechs use some sort of nuclear reactor I believe. Not sure what Robotech mechs use.

Even the human body suit would be difficult right now. Same issues as a giant mech. Though on a smaller scale. As armour is added, weight increases, causing all sorts of problems.

If mechs are the future, the military will see them first.

I think I heard something about a fiborous material that will contract when an electric current is applied to it and relax when the current is turned off. Just like human muscles.

posted on Oct, 12 2004 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Thanks for the replies. Does anyone have any links about this subject? I have tried googling it but keep getting Robotech the series info.

posted on Oct, 12 2004 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by niato007
Hi all, This is my First Post. I have an interesting topic I Hope. I'm wondering if anyone here can give their feedback on the subject if Technology Like the one seen in the "Robotech" animated series is possible. What are the possibilites and limitations. I know the part about the ability to transform will be most likely out of the question, but the ability to build a mech fighter in robot form should be an interesting task. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Here are some sites that might be of use.

www.robotcombat.com...
www.androidworld.com...
www.imagination-engines.com...

and from my own site some notes on one of my
robot projects

www.angelfire.com...

Robotech transformation is an interesting subject, but
that kind of technology is still a few years away.

posted on Oct, 12 2004 @ 09:50 PM
link   
RoboTech
, are you referring to a certain type of robotic technology out there, our do you just wnat some info no Robots in general?

posted on Oct, 12 2004 @ 10:07 PM
link   
I'm referring to the "Mech" warrior type robots seen in video games or cartoons, but without the exagerated component of transforming.

posted on Oct, 12 2004 @ 10:13 PM
link   
well check these guys out the movment blows me away the tech, is called Qrio
pc.watch.impress.co.jp...

[edit on 12/10/2004 by Sauron]

posted on Oct, 12 2004 @ 10:16 PM
link   
I dont think we will every see gaint humanoid robots like in Robotech or Gundam for many reasons. I think they could be made in the future but they wouldnt be of much use in a tactical sense.

First height profile something you want to have as little as you can. Those robots would stand what at least 40ft-60ft tall. It would be a huge target which would be a bad thing.

Cost those things would make fighter jets look cheap, they would cost multi millions if not hundreds of millions of dollars.

The Humans design is really just not that good. There are many animal designs in nature that put the human design to shame. Just about any insect design would be much better and able to out Maneuver a human design.

It would also face many of the same problems that MBT face. Tanks cost millions and they can be taken out by a soldier with a shoulder fired missile that cost chump change compared to the tank.

We might see personal exo-skeletons in the future for people. Robots will nodoubt play a much larger role in the air,ground and sea warfare in the future. But they wont really look like what people imagine them to.

On a side note this is the reported picture of a real mech. I make no claim on if this is valid just came across it and thought you might find it interesting

www.nationalexposer.com...

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 01:16 AM
link   
For future warfare, we shall harness the almighty power of the Segway.

XL5

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 02:24 AM
link   
The movie link you posted Sauron, is amazing! Even if we don't have AI or andriods like Blade runner, this is still really a step in that direction. If those things were made to look almost human, that would win funding and massive public intrest.

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 02:42 AM
link   
Sony has already spent over a 100 million to develop the technology for these humanoid robots. The humanoid robot has massive public interest in Japan already and they are leading the world in this field.

Robot builders in Japan really think the human design is the future of robots. They believe these robots in the future will be maids in your house wash your dishes take out the garbage that type of stuff.

I dont know if they will keep getting massive funding though their 100 million investment hasnt really made any practical robots. It has made some nice and expensive toys so far but I dont know how much money this will make them.

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 04:23 PM
link   
If you want the future of warfare think space marines from Warhammer 40k not giant target mechs

Originally posted by niato007
I'm referring to the "Mech" warrior type robots seen in video games or cartoons, but without the exagerated component of transforming.

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 04:48 PM
link   
I love the robotech series, the orginal japanese series was called "super macross fortress".
what i found interesting was that those ships could easily fly from earth to space. But i do remember they were fitted with additional boosters for space.
I cant remember what type of engines those fighters had but i want to say it was nuclear

new topics

top topics

join