It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California poised to grant driver's licenses to young illegal immigrants

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by AwakeinNM

And reality is that it takes A LOT more than a drivers license to vote. Please live in it.

edit on 22-8-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by blackmetalmist
Just great.. Now someone can be killed by a hit and run and this person could just flee to their home country. Its bad enough we have bad drivers, so now we get to deal with immigrants being granted this. Although there is plenty of them driving already... this will just encourage a greater deal to now begin driving.

And I was just planning to go take my driver's test next week too.. (sigh)

The mere fact they got a license shows they want to obey the laws, ins is still mandatory by law.

Do you honestly think there are droves just itching to jump into cars and hit you?

The ones that want to drive and don't care about the law will do so anyway, if anything this is a step to adding more accountability to the illegal population.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke

And reality takes is it takes A LOT more than a drivers license to vote. Please live in it.

Really? You should come to New Mexico, then. It doesn't even take a drivers license to vote, my friend. And, you don't even have to be a legal resident to get a drivers license. It is bizzaro world here. Breaking Bad is a documentary.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by AwakeinNM

And reality takes is it takes A LOT more than a drivers license to vote. Please live in it.

Really? You should come to New Mexico, then. It doesn't even take a drivers license to vote, my friend. And, you don't even have to be a legal resident to get a drivers license. It is bizzaro world here. Breaking Bad is a documentary.

I thought this thread was about Ca...

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   

You still have to register, though.

I'm beginning to think you either haven't registered to vote, or have forgotten the process. The form that you fill out requires that you prove your citizenship, not only to the country but also to the state you wish to vote in. You can't just walk into a polling place the day of elections and cast your vote without being registered.

New Mexico Voter Registration

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   

What aren't you getting? One has to register to vote, and that takes a LOT more than a drivers license.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Really? You should come to New Mexico, then. It doesn't even take a drivers license to vote, my friend.

Just to clarify.

Are you talking about voting on a State/National election?

Or

Are you talking about voting on 'Dancing with the Stars'?

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by drwizardphd

The requirements you mentioned are:

Requirements There are a few basic requirements you must meet in order to be eligible to vote in the United States and to register in New Mexico: You must be 18 years old. You must be a US citizen. You must be a resident of New Mexico. If you have been convicted of a felony, you must have had your civil rights restored. You must not have been judged mentally unfit. Few things in life may be free, but registering to vote is. If you intend to vote in an upcoming election, you must register to vote at least 28 days before the event.

www.dmv.org...

Let me see,,,,, if you're an anchor baby,,,,,, You have a birth-certificate,,,, Right?
If you rent an apartment and the water or electric or cable bill,,,,,, that's a Utility bill,,,, Right?

Updated: 03-01-2006 Registration Deadline — 15 days before the election. 6. ID Number. When you register to vote, you must provide your California driver’s license or California identification card number, if you have one. If you do not have a driver’s license or ID card, you must provide the last four digits of your Social Security Number (SSN). If you do not include this information, you will be required to provide identification when you vote. 7. Choice of Party. Please enter the name of the political party with which you wish to register. If you do not wish to register with any party, enter “Decline to State” in the space provided. California law allows voters who “decline to state” an affiliation with a qualified political party or who affiliate with a nonqualified political party to vote in the primary election of any qualified political party that files a notice with the Secretary of State allowing them to do so. You can call 1‑800‑345‑VOTE or visit www.sos.ca.gov to learn which political parties are allowing nonaffiliated voters to participate in their primary election. 8. Race or Ethnic Group. Leave blank. 9. Signature. To register in California you must: • be a citizen of the United States • be a resident of California • be at least 18 years of age at the time of the next election • not be imprisoned or on parole for the conviction of a felony • not currently be judged mentally incompetent by a court of law Signature is required. If you meet the requirements listed above, please sign and date the registration card in the space provided. Mailing address: Secretary of State Elections Division 1500 11th Street Sacramento, CA 95814

www.eac.gov...

From the USCIS web-site:

One of the most important privileges of democracy in the United States of America is the right to participate in choosing elected officials through voting in elections. There are many different types of elections in the United States, such as federal elections, state elections or local elections. Only U.S. citizens can vote in federal elections. Registering to vote or voting in a federal election is a crime if you are not a U.S. citizen. Non-U.S. citizens, including permanent residents (green card holders), who vote, or register to vote, in a federal election also can be denied naturalization and/or removed (deported) from the United States. There are very few jurisdictions where a non-U.S. citizen may vote in a local election. However, this web site does not provide information regarding voting qualifications for state and local elections. You can obtain information regarding voting qualifications in local elections from your local voting authority. It is important to remember that even if you are allowed to vote in a local election, you are not eligible to vote in a federal election if you are not a U.S. citizen, nor in any other election that requires you to be a U.S. citizen.

www.uscis.gov... 53a4107083210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD

Aaaaahhhhh, People don't LIE?
Check out my profile, I'm a Naturalized Citizen,,, Before I was, there was a constant Knock at our door to register me to Vote.,,,, Just because of the neighborhood we lived in,,,,, I would tell them, I have a G/C and they would tell me, Not to worry, Do You Drive That Car Parked There?
Yes, it happens,,, People are not as Law Bidding as You may Be!

edit on 22-8-2012 by guohua because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   

What aren't you getting? One has to register to vote, and that takes a LOT more than a drivers license.

So you're good with voter ID laws, correct?

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Why are illegal citizens being given drivers licenses when they are in fact illegal aliens?

The state is sponsoring criminal activity.

Fantastic.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   
I dont really care that they can get a license but it seems a bit f-ed up that I have to have all sorts of annoying documentation to get a license (ie BIRTH CERTIFICATE, social security card, Photo ID, proof of address) and what will they have to do to go get one? walk in and tell them their name? nothing else seems like bs to me. All the headaches I have suffered to get my license then to get it back and then getting one in a new state and these guys want to let them just walk up tell them their names and walk out with a license?

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   
I am more and more in favor of a Federal law that withholds all federal funding to that state if the state is a sanctuary state.

I guess I just dont understand the mindset on the other side of the fence. They have broke the law by entering this country illegally. They, and their employers, have broke the law by employing them and not paying taxes on them. They break the law by driving a motor vehicle without a license.

I fail to understand why we have laws in this country if we are going to exempt people from them simply because they are criminals.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Maybe it is because you DON'T NEED a license to travel in your own private vehicle.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by greenovni

??

Are you from mars?

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   

It takes a drivers license and a utility bill. That's ALL it takes in New Mexico. You don't think that can be circumvented? Seriously?

I already told you that illegal aliens can get a license in NM. Now all they have to do is get a gas bill in their name. You don't think illegals are voting here? You are seriously naive.

I know the article is about California, but it applies to every state if they decide to give licenses to these people. So stop splitting hairs.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by BritofTexas

Really? You should come to New Mexico, then. It doesn't even take a drivers license to vote, my friend.

Just to clarify.

Are you talking about voting on a State/National election?

Or

Are you talking about voting on 'Dancing with the Stars'?

To clarify, I meant that you don't have to show any ID to vote. You do need a license to register, and illegals can get a license here. Sorry for any confusion.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   

And reality is that it takes A LOT more than a drivers license to vote. Please live in it.

edit on 22-8-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

Um. It may depend on the state you are in. Because it hardly took me anytihng to be a voter in the state of Alaska.....im no longer there but am still registered there to vote.

www.elections.alaska.gov...

Initially Registering from Outside the State of Alaska
If you are not already registered to vote in Alaska and you are initially registering to vote from outside the state of Alaska, either by mail, fax or email, you must provide proof of Alaska residency by submitting a copy of one of the following documents with your voter registration application:

Alaska driver's license;

Alaska hunting or fishing license;

proof of Alaska student loan and college tuition showing Alaska as state of residency;

military leave and earning statement indicating Alaska as place of residence;

proof of employment in Alaska indicating date of employment; or
other documentation that supports your claim as an Alaska resident.
Your proof of Alaska residency must be in your name, it cannot be in the name of your spouse, parent or legal guardian.

Initially Registering from Inside the State of Alaska
If you are not already registered to vote in Alaska and you are initially registering to vote by mail, fax or email, please submit a copy of one of the below types of identification with your voter registration application:

current and valid photo identification;

driver's license;

passport;

state identification card; or

birth certificate.
Notification of Your

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
I wonder how soon it'll be before they can collect foodstamps, social security, welfare.

Cloward-Piven is here.

YAY Obama!
Ahh, they've been doing that for a long time now. At least here in Denver Colorado.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by benrl
I went to school with a man who now owns a successful framing business, he employs 15 people at his company.

He was brought here as an infant, he had no choice in the matter.

30 years later he is a success, he owns a large house in newport beach, he has a few Mercedes, he is a law abiding person.

Accept for one thing, his parents violated the law in bringing him here.

Everything he owns is in his business name and tax ID.

He has gotten pulled over a few times, its gotten to the point that he has to do Cal Trans every time (its a running joke that we will see him on the side of the road every now and than)

He pays taxes, he contributes, his company is growing in this economy and he employs americans.

Hell he speak less Spanish than I do, and all I know is burrito and taco.

Not every illegal was here by choice.

what would you do if your parents took you as a baby to a foreign land where you grew up and assimilated to it, where it became your home more than your home land?

Xenophobia is a horrible thing, no more so when its draped in a flag.

People hated the Irish and Italian immigrants as well, who this country hates simply changes depending on the age we are in.

The New Colossus

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame, With conquering limbs astride from land to land; Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame. "Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, The wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"
I know people just like the gentleman you addressed, and God bless them all! He's a person who took the American dream and turned it into something wonderful. BUT I CRINGE at those who rape our country for everything she has!

Here's a good example...

There are the free loaders who know how to take advantage of the system. There is a family who lives down the road from us. While I struggle to make money for my family, they are living off the high hog.

Don’t ask me how I know. I’ll just say that I have my ways. This is what they have…

1.$1100.00 in food stamps a month for 4 kids (mother pregnant again).
2.Medicaid.
3.HUD housing.
4.Pal grant checks for school loans.
5.3 different business names under their address. (All fake).
6.$40,000 Lexus with “I love Obama” (in Spanish) bumper sticker on back.
7.$50,000 truck with $6,000 wheels and rims.

I have argued with people about the food stamp amount allowed here in Adams County Colorado. When you have 20 people living under the roof of a 4 bedroom home, they manage to find a way to get it. This is how they get $1100.00 in food stamps. The illegal Mom tells Social services that she has 7 kids instead of 4, and instead of going out of the way to find proof, they go by hearsay. Many have been busted for doing this, but there are very little resources to follow thru on most of the accusations.

I have called Adams Social Services on numerous occasions about this family of 20, and they more or less treat me like a racist. I have on one occasion gone in to complain about them; it took them a 20 minutes to find someone who could speak English. When I went in, there was one (1) white family of three waiting in line to get help. I can tell you with 100% accuracy that 9 out of 10 people waiting in line to get help were illegal. There were a good 50 to 60 people waiting to get help.

More people come in and out of their house than the local Wal-Mart. Police are there regularly for dog and rooster fights. All the illegal actions are blamed on the underage kids so the adults don’t receive jail time. System lenient on kids because they are minors and illegal. They only get probation. I live in Denver. A sanctuary city.

My older son used to get along with one of the kids from the family. That was until we found out he was dealing drugs.

I wish there were more people like the guy you're talking about, but they are few and far between...
edit on 22-8-2012 by Propulsion because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by BritofTexas

Let me try to be as clear as possible.

Holding a state drivers license does not allow you to vote

This is the same fear mongering as the Mythic Anchor Babies.

Please see the link below to educate yourself.

USCIS

Yeah...living in El Paso, Texas...where I have seen this firsthand, and have seen it for YEARS, don't say that anchor babies are a "myth". There is no such thing as "mythic anchor babies"...it is very real and has been ongoing for a very long time. I for one, am sick of it.

The link you posted says "Only U.S. citizens can vote in federal elections. Registering to vote or voting in a federal election is a crime if you are not a U.S. citizen. Non-U.S. citizens, including permanent residents (green card holders), who vote, or register to vote, in a federal election also can be denied naturalization and/or removed (deported) from the United States." If one is here illegally to begin with, what makes you think they won't register to vote? What is stopping them? If they aren't deported for breaking the law initially (being here illegally), odds are they won't be deported for illegally voting. It's not a violent crime. They'll be allowed to vote and stay. Educate yourself on what is really going on before you direct others to do so.
edit on 22-8-2012 by Eliza because: none

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join