It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

have you ever slept in a wal-mart parking lot?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   
OP.....I can't offer much....but you can stay w/ me. I live in VA, however and it seems u are in CA. Still, offer stands. I have no job, either, but if you need a roof........

Mook

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by NotThat

Just woke up to read all of your thoughtful posts. Thanks to everyone with more great advice

Except 'notthat'. What do you know about stupid or lazy? Kick people when they are down? You should have another look at your heart. I feel sorry for you.

I'll be ignoring anymore posts like yours

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mrgone
I am loving the irony of my current situation. It is 5 am and I am sitting in a random wal-mart parking lot in my car. I had to move my car here after I was almost towed from the parking lot of the apartment that I recently staRted squatting in. I was evicted from my old rental when the owner decided to sell. No job, no place to go.
Frown

Have you took it from a philosophical perspective?

“The human race is a monotonous affair. Most people spend the greatest part of their time working in order to live, and what little freedom remains so fills them with fear that they seek out any and every means to be rid of it.”
― Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, The Sorrows of Young Werther

Why get a job?
- You want to pay someone for shelter... to eat and "live" ... for what? Are you going to do something truly profound and enlightening (make some type of change in this world for everyone) in this place you'll be "living"? Find a cure for cancer and aids in an apartment? What does paying someone to live somewhere really do for people... or hold it... is it all about you?

Why hold onto the things you did?
- What is it's meaning and is it truly meaningful? Those things you held onto tell you where your mind is at and can help you change who you ARE... if you truly feel you exist in the first place.

What will your kid's future be?
- Would you be proud? Is your life one big search for vanity? Why? Is vanity your heaven?

WHY?

I think you should feel lucky to be in the position you are in....

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by MikhailBakunin

Thanks. I do share most of your points. And maybe now would be a good time to point out why it was necessary to have a high paying job. High by most standards anyway. Let's look at my monthly Nut.

Relatively debt free in 2001. With my GI Bill deadline approaching I decided to go to college. Picked my old love. Animation. Went to an accelerated BA in digital animation. On top of the GI bill I went an extra 50K in debt in three years

Got the highest paying job of anyone in my family. Lasted for a year and a half. When a movie is over the production co trims down and I found myself unemployed. I did not spend that year racking up debt. I looked for work until I couldn't afford to fly back to see my kids. So I packed my car and drove back to Washington

After attempting to get a job in the film and game industry I settled with a box store. An orange one. One poster above suggested I must be stupid or lazy. While at that job I became the second highest salesman in the NW won enough awards to have dinner with the CEO. Over 1 mm in 2010. Still...they refused to give me a raise. For years,top salesman in the store, no raise. And when your good at selling they won't give you a promotion. Your too valuable to take out of your palace. After4 years of being the top I thought that I had some FU$ to leave and find a better job. I was wrong

In the first few months I worked on building a friend a grouse. Deluxe. Then I inherited my grandmother's storage shed. EBay, swap meets. Made enough to live for a while. Kept looking for jobs. Before anyone else here says you would have taken any job let me outline why I couldn't.
Per month
Child support - $768
Insurance for me and them (mandatory by state for divorced parents,ex didn't have a job for 6 years) $148
Car insurance - $86
Rent -$400
Electrical -$60
Gas -$65
Auto gas -30 mile commute (adjust for prices)

So far...$1475(aprx)
No food, no internet, no cable, no entertainment. Let's a devide that by a 40 hr week.
$9.21 apx
I didn't put tax up their. Feed tax? %13.5

So let's do the math in reverse. If I made $12/ hr. x 160 hr _ $1920. - %13.5 _ $1660 - $1475 _ $185 /30 days _ $7 per day
I know you may think it sound like a lot but then you aren't adding in all the other stuff. New tires once a year. School loans. Children's activities. The fact that the ex was unemployed for years.

I am now $70 k in debt. While I'm working at my present debt level for anything less than $17/ hour I will only be working so that I can go to work. Oh, I didn't mention that I am also now $9 k behind in child support. Don't even bother calling me a dead beat. The state tried to take all of my licenses. They do that if you owe more than 6 months worth. I got them to stop.

I held out because I had support and was making this barely work at the place I was in. The last six months the owners let me stay for free if I rebuilt it for selling. That's done now. No matter what job I get the state is going to take no more than half of my check for the back owed support. I don't mind that since I owe it but you can add that fact to the above calculations and draw your own conclusions.

I'm going to the VA this morning to check on where they are with any assistance. I found a good shelter for when I become a burden on my friend ( she has cancer and son will be moving in with her brother's family) next is of to the food back to see if volunteering gets me any support. Finally I am going to walk onto the construction site across from my friend's place and see if I can't swing a hammer for them.

Thanks for your payers.
edit on 23-8-2012 by Mrgone because: typingonaphone

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Bro, I have been in your situation a few times. Oh yes, and I know how lonely and scary that feels. I would have all this time on my hands and look around and see life still happening to everyone but me. I would be envious of the people going to their homes, because they had a home to go to.
I will never forget the despair and you have pulled up those memories for me. It seems hopeless I know..
HANG IN THERE.. Check out some shelters, go the the library everyday... You cannot be too proud at this point it is about survival.Go to your workforce and check out live in jobs... talk to your workforce counselor . This worked for me once.. I advertised myself in the want ads desiring live in work. Care taking. I got so many offers I could pick the cream of the crop and I did. I worked just out side of Yosemite.
The local library has free internet and use of computers. I am a woman by the way.. I have been so lonely and scared before, I do know what you are going through. I thought at the time it would never end, but it did. I have done this like 2 times in my life. No family for back up, just me alone. So I feel where you are coming from .. please keep us posted.. You got an offer of some one offering up a place here already... so there is hope.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I don't have time to read through every1s posts right now because of my newborn girl, so i'm sorry if some1 already covered this...But I was in the same position more than once in my life so here's a quick step by step how to get out of this scenario.. (By the way most times I was in this Scenario was because of being incarcerated/released with nowhere to go..

First Things First....STOP Posting HERE until work is found, Post Resumes NOT Rants lol then follow these steps...

Step1= keep a car at all costs if possible.. It's the safest/cheapest storage/sleeping place possible and also provides transporrtation to work if found. If you are without a vehicle you need to aquire a bike. (maybe borrow a friends)

step 2= move somewhere WARM where work is available in a trade you are skillled in... I know without money it's hard to get somewhere, but I can tell you from becoming homeless in North Idaho after work ran out it can be done easier in a warm climate that won't kill you from Hypothermia first mistake.

step3= After making it to a place where a cold snap won't kill you in your sleep an there is employment available (I chose San Jose, California) you have to go to the church for meals until foodstamps/work is obtained. Once you've made it this far you're on easy street comparatively...

Step4= California offers $180.00 a month General Assistance Service to every citizen (If never Convicted of Drug Sales) You apply at the welfare office and it can be granted the same week but you have to volunteer 2 full days a month at a church or something like that handing out food to people in your same situation. (I did this for 2 months and they feed you as much as you want after work so it is worth it) I took my 180.00 and spent $80.00 on a Tracfone (found at any target) so I had a contact number for employers that didn't expire month to month if I couldn't pay the bill. (The minutes last until used on these phones so if you only use it for work you won't have to pay a monthly fee until work is found and that is a lifesaver!!)

Step5= After you have a Tracfone/Contact for employment you need a way to stay presentable for Work interviews and just general Self Esteem. So to conquer this I enrolled in a $13.00 a month GYM so I could stay healthy/active and shower regularly.

Step6= Apply Everywhere and post exactly what you posted here for work Ethic/Skill on Craigslist in the For Hire Section.. It sounds weird but it works, I got a 15.00hr labor job this way until I found a carpentry position with another Company by keeping my for hire post up on Craigslist.. Now I'm working for $20.00hr doing Finish Work 6 days a week so this works well in my opinion and that's the blueprint to escape the Bush/Parking Lot we all might find ourselves in from time to time.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Mrgone

Cheer Up Mrgone - as many have already replied telling how they have had to live through the exact same tough times as you are in right now and yes me too, been there, done that. Yes, it's a real tough world out there, and yes you have just about hit rock bottom. However, in reality you know way down deep inside of you, that right now is when you need to " Count Your Blessings ".

First I am going to explain to you the serious bottom line facts that you need to think very seriously about, and these facts will give you the Motivation to pull yourself right back up in no time at all.

Yes, I know that this may sound like some off the wall corny type of advice for you to hear right now, but you know way down deep inside that this is the truth you need to hear. Years ago I used to visit people in the hospital and nursing homes handing out tracks with the local church I went to back in those years. I will never forget seeing and talking to this one young man who had been in an accident and he was paralyzed from the neck down. He was laying in his hospital bed flat on his back and he could only watch TV by a mirror that was hanging from the ceiling. He also had a pencil in a tray in front of him that he had to grip it in his mouth, if he wanted to hit the nurse call button. When you see someone in that bad of a condition in life, the Only Message you get from that, is that YOU should Count Your Blessings Every Day.

Be Thankful that you can even walk and talk and eat and laugh. Be thankful that you have your health and you still have your Family. Yes you are in a very tough situation right now, and it is not funny at all, but you know way down deep that you need to be Thankful for all that you Really Do Have right now.

Ok, now to try and Cheer you up a little bit with what you should Not Do.

Say you are still on the street by the time this winter gets here, and everything you have tried just does not work for you. Your car get repossessed or stolen, your iPhone gets stolen or you had to sell it just to get some money for something to eat etc. Hey man, buy a Lottery Ticket somewhere some time. Maybe you'll be the homeless person that buys that ticket and hits it big time, and makes the News with the Miracle story that will cheer everyone else up. There is nothing that God can't do.

Or, say you are still really having it tough on the street and you've now lost even your car and iPhone and you have no prospects for any work anywhere and no one can help you. It's now getting close to Christmas, and that just magnifies your heart ache and grief of your plight and the pity party of being on the street is now kicking in big time on you and you can barely stand it anymore. Now is the time that you are beginning to think about a life of crime, because nothing else is working for you. Hey, just get yourself a nice looking Red Santa Claus suit with the big white beard and the big high top black boots. Also get you a big bag of pepperment candy canes and have them sticking all out of the top of the bag, very festive and happy looking. Then right before Christmas,
walk into a bank and rob it. There is nothing that makes the news faster nation wide than when Santa Claus Robs a Bank at Christmas time. Just that act alone will Cheer countless people up and give them a real good laugh and right at Christmas time too ! lol

Seriously though, you know that you cannot do the santa robs a bank routine, because you will get caught and you will ruin your life forever then.

Ok - there it is, the rest is all up to you. Get that job Anywhere right now and Fast, put some money in your pocket and pull yourself out as fast as you can. Then by this time next year, You'll be wiping your brow and thinking to yourself - Phewwww.... That was a Tough Year, but I've made it, I've learned a lot, and I'm better off now, and I am Thankful for how Rich I Really Am !
edit on 8/23/2012 by chrisb9 because: typo's

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
1) If you want to try, use a local starbucks or McDonalds for the free wifi. Same for the library chief.

2) Your not the only one in that exact same situation. We've all been down or still down on their luck. But you have to keep looking forward, only look back to glance.

Ya i know it sucks but remember that your not the only one, the first nor the last. Do what you gotta do for now, but keep focused on tomorrow.

Every dog has it's day

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   
I met this guy recently at a convention in San Diego....at the time, I didn't know who he was. Just an average nice guy and then to see him on stage later on blew me away. Never, ever give up and don't listen to anyone trying to bring you down.

edit on 23-8-2012 by wills120 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Thanks again for the positive and tough advice. I'm an ex marine so being talked down to is nothing new. I'm only looking for the positives. And one poster suggested that I stop posting. This has been enormously helpful to my mood so I don't think this would be a good idea. Besides it something to do while I'm waiting in line. Oh,there are lines

The worksource was helpful. I have been on their email since I left work. Missed a last minute seminar that required I have a birth certificate. I just went and got a new copy. No idea where my last one went. The team there at worksource have me in for an interview for a job next week. Seminars on interviewing. Stuff like that

Going to the library next. 1 hour max internet use for each day so I like to make the best of it.

Cheers to all who have come to care. And one person said they didn't have time to read all of the posts then took the Time to write a lengthy one. Gave me a chuckle. If your worried about repeating some ones suggestion don't be. I don't mind reading all of them. Each person has been instrumental in my mood improving.

Thanks

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Mrgone

Only one hour at the library? I would check with the local homeless shelter and/or community assistance center as they usually have internet access for job seekers. When I lived in Jacksonville, FL, I used to rebuild computers the company was going to toss out and donate them to the shelters - I hope it helped some people.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by wills120

I take that back. It only gives you an hour at a time. I noticed that no one stood up while I was working so I tried an experiment. I waited until the time ran out, looked around to see if anyone was waiting, (two empty computers) then tried logging in again. 1 hour at a time. I will use this advantage as long as there is an open computer.

Many have PMed me with awesome suggestions and advice as well. to all of you. thanks

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Well today is your lucky day. Here's what you do buddy boy.....

If you're car is even half ass decent you sell it or trade it in and get an old big truck or cube van. Then you place ads in the local classified ads online, and or on CL offering stuff like:

- Lawn care
- Moving
- Deliveries
- Roofing
- carpet cleaing (buy a cheap portable Ninja unit)
- Junk Removal
- Painting
- Reno's

You put ads for all of them. Also get some basic business cards made with a pic of a guy working and your name, number and email. And just some generic name that you go under like "Mr Fix It" or "Quality Labor".

If you get a job you ask for half the money up front so you can go buy your materials. If you have to buy a mower you go by a cheap used one or a wal mart special and use that. If you work that angle you'll be making big money in no time! You'll likely make well over 10,000 a month.

If you're not sure how to do something like roofing, or painting, get a book or look on youtube. It's not rocket science here. And when you get paid tell them you want "cash only".

Wal mart parking lots rock man! Thats' totally what I'm gonna do when I'm old. Get a small camperized van and travel all across North America staying in the walmart parking lots. It's genius! See all of the US and Canada for peanuts!

Anyway good luck ok.

edit on 23-8-2012 by r2d246 because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-8-2012 by r2d246 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Mrgone

sorry to hear of your misfortune.
i too went through a rough patch. i was lucky to have a $9hr job to keep me a float.
i wish i had a plan to lay out for you. all i can do is wish you good luck. i hope things begin to brighten up.

-subfab

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   
My position isn't really so great... I have a roof and stuff but not much else.... I think I'm going to actually take some of this advice to heart too!!!

GREAT THREAD, MRGONE!!! $10,000/monthly sssshhhhhhiiiiiiii-----

-alright... gonna learn how to do some roofing on youtube!

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   
OP. I may or may not have some information that is useful for you. I'm sure you've thought of this already but this post is to encourage you to PLEASE apply for public housing. Public housing is in towns everywhere, towns where you least expect it. I was once a property manager at a housing authority in a major U.S. city. Trust me, we need people to live in our units. If our quota is not filled (especially on tax-credit sites) then we are not doing our jobs properly. It costs nothing to apply to public housing, and you don't need to live in that state to apply. Most of our tenants have no income to speak of. Someone with military service such as yourself and a great background would be a public housing property managers DREAM. So please, next time you are on the internet, apply for public housing anywhere that you would be comfortable living.
edit on 23-8-2012 by LiberLegit because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Mrgone

I found myself homeless some years back i took advantage of the homeless shelters and eventually found work and saved my money staying at a shelter then got a small studio apartment and slowly moved on...hang in there just do the best you can and dont be too hard on yourself...

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Mrgone

I just read several of your posts and a few replies. (I have to admit I didn't read them all because I have to get some shut eye soon) but I wanted to ask if you are religious at all? I had been in your shoes when I was young after having a falling out with my father (Marine Corp DI) and I slept in my first car for 3 weeks, which was a small 2 seater and the seats didn't recline more than 3 inches, so I know your pain. At 6'2 220lbs sleeping in a tiny car was no fun. I slept in a parking lot next to a business only open during the day so I wouldn't be seen.

Anyway, I'd like to say a prayer for you and I hope it's received ok. I know most people on here aren't into prayer, but have witnessed a few miracles first hand I certainly believe in the power of prayer. So here goes.....

"Dear Lord my God, I pray that you bless this man with abundance. You know his needs better than anyone here reading this thread, even better than he knows what his needs are. I ask that you shine your guiding light down upon every step he takes, today and every day, for the rest of his life. Please allow miracles to be performed for him so that he may become a witness to how wonderful and strong your love for him is! Jesus, please heal his aching heart and protect him as he sleeps in this parking lot. Lastly I ask that your blessings for him come swiftly and know that I am willing to give up a few of my many blessings for him this night. Amen!"
May God Bless You and keep you safe all the days of your life.
Patrick
P.S. I'm going to subscribe to this post and pray that when I check back one day I can read about the blessings that come your way. I'm all the way down in Orlando, FL and the job market here is still on the decline. Something to consider is getting a magnet sign made to put on your car advertising the work you do and at least have a chance at making more than minimum wage.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 11:57 PM
link   
MrGone,

Have you ever thought about re-enlisting? The age cap on the armed services now is 42 years of age.

I am getting ready to enlist myself. To be entirely honest, I am not doing it to serve my country, as I believe the people we're "serving" aren't really people at all. I'm doing it for the schooling and the experience, the adventure outside of the every day 9-5 commute. I had a high paying (for no college education) job at one of Cintas national account locations and basically threw the job away because I was bored; sick of working for a giant corporation to be treated like dog #. Prior to throwing my job away, I had a 2011 GSXR 750 that I wrecked, which resulted in major surgery on my right shoulder for a broken clavicle protruding from the skin, which was broken in 7 different locations (completely shattered) along with a 9" gash on my left knee that was down to the bone and some major road-rash. The bike wasn't insured (not required in Florida) and the person that ran me off the road fled with no witness testimonies. I got a good vehicle description but how many white Chevy Silverados are on the road now days? Shortly after all of this, my relationship with a girlfriend of 7 years, which of whom I was living with, ended. 3 month time span, $40,000 in debt, no girlfriend, no job, 27 years old.

Here I am, writing this from my brothers guest bedroom, 180 miles from my original home (and from my ex who I miss very much), with a positive attitude that no matter what, eventually, my life will turn for the better. I've got $18 dollars in my account and about $400 in food stamps. My phone will be disconnected next month and I'll be unable to communicate with my ex (we still talk on a regular basis). As a person with a huge heart and compassion for my fellow people (outside of politics, the white house etc.), for me, it's a fact that those people you see standing on the street corners begging for money, wanting people to pity them, are simply there by choice. They gave up on life, at least for the moment. If you refuse positivity, that's when you will really hit rock bottom.

I am enlisting next month, after my birthday. I've been studying for the ASVAB for literally a month and conditioning myself both mentally and physically for basic. I am going to make the most out of my military experience and, most importantly, stay positive. Things will work out for you man, I promise. It may not be in the grandiose fashion that we all would like to experience, but you will end up with food in your stomach, a roof over your head and the ability to somewhat provide for your children. You will even have entertainment for yourself and maybe some extra spending money to indulge on.

I have not been in your exact situation, but I can definitely relate. Everything in our lives happens for a reason and I don't want to sound cliche but you have to remind yourself (ourselves) that what doesn't kill us really does make us stronger as a person. We can look back on these hard times, when we're thinking that what we're going through in the current time is tough, and laugh the current situation off. In the end, we still have the lives we are blessed with and the people around us that are true family and friends.

Keep your chin up, remind yourself it can always be worse and give it hell man. I wish you success in turning a new leaf.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Mrgone

There is nothing you can do right now except take it one day at a time. Sometimes, one boring, nervous, sweating hour at a time. Heres the thing...

You are exactly where you are supposed to be right now. Your old life has been stripped away and now you have to make do with less than nothing. Sometimes it will be a struggle. Take heart. Where before you made the choices in your life what you wanted to do, now most of those choices will be made for you. The simplest things are the toughest. Going to bed hungry, thirsty, wondering if you are safe and where your next meal is coming from.

Instead of having a home to close the door on the world, instead of your bed to lay on and slumber in relative security, instead of a fridge full of food and a bank full of money, now you are looking at the void... and nothing is looking back. It may seem there is nothing to fall back on, and no one to depend on, but really now you get the wonderful opportunity to find out who you really are and what you are capable of. When this part of your life is over, you will look back on it as an adventure that helped build character and taught you the meaning of life.

For the time being you will have to be satisfied if at the end of the day you have a full belly, a jug of water, a place to pee and maybe a tarp and sleeping bag to stay warm. That is the best you can hope to have tonight when you decide to hunker down. That is going to get harder over time in store parking lots. You may want to get off the beaten path and find alternate places to stay that are more remote but less likely to tangle with cops or street predators. Staying near civilization is fine for those that are secure in it, but really the only thing you have in common with that right now is you are from it. And you are not in it anymore. You are a castaway for now.

I know that Marines have been taught to survive (camp), now you are an urban marine. I would go into more detail about it and just what to do as far as practical advice for living on the edge: you already found one outlet... McD's dumpster... phooey.

Find a Trader Joe's and go there every night to their back lot. There are people that move about and gather the enormous amount of unspoiled food that the store bags and pitches. These are resourceful folk and you may even be able to hook up with them to find a place to stay temporary wise , or further resources to do volunteer work at food kitchens that take the excess food from stores to feed the hungry. You can help and get fed and stay overnight for free for chores, etc.

The thing about being in your position is that there is a certain kind of protection out there (call it what you will) for people who are hard up and your needs will be met as long as you stay honest, don't steal or get involved in any criminal stuff. That is the other choice where you are.

You will be hungry, you will be afraid, you will be lonely and forsaken. You will also see the world at large completely different than before. You will be free from the daily struggle to succeed, have money and possessions. You may learn to be happy despite having nothing. You may be where you are for a while, or dropped right back where you left off. The choice is yours. For now focus on the simple stuff like food and shelter.

I have no idea where you are at with this so let me know, I got some experience with it and will be more than happy to pass it on.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join