It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Politics Of Exploitation In Melbourne Austrlaia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 02:49 AM
link   
To give the basics to those not knowlegeable of Australian History or politics.

The Australian labour party was formed supposedly decades ago as avoice for the working human being.

Today it is a defender of Asylum seekers rights, a defender of the United nations charters ect.

Yet Australia has approximately 20,000 human beings of both Australian Citizenship and visa workers who are working as FULL TIME TAXI DRIVERS.

So what you may ask?.

Well because of one of the most corrupted loopholes in the history of any nation, these tens of thousands of Taxi drivers work for approx 60% of the minimum hourly rate of renumeration.

They receive no Superannuation(pension ) contributions by those who own the Taxi License Plates) ie they retire with nothing.

They receive no sick pay if they take a day off even if they have swine flu.

Thay receive no Hoilday pay....none zero.

They have to pay approximately $5 per day for accident insurance, approx 3% of their daily income.

They have to give back 10% of their takings to the government as GST.

They have to give approx 50% to 55% of their takings to the owner of the plates.

Not a bad wicket eh?

The average full time Australian taxi driver earns after all deductions approx $12 before tax.

The minimum wage supposedly in Australia is approx $16.70 per hour.

Those on this wage receive holiday pay , compulsory employer superannuation payments of approx 9%, holiday pay and sick pay.

In effect the 20,0000 full tim eAussie cabbies earn approx $8 per hour when deductions for these non existent conditions are taken into account.

So what ?

Australian cab drivers have the responsibility of transporting safely... war veterans and their spouses, ellderley people on walking frames and walking sticks, intellectually impaired, the general public, the very drunk and aggressive, ect ect ect.

They work on average a s full time cab drivers approx 60 hours per week , some are forced to work seven days a week to survive due to the medieval rate of commission.

So what/

It is quietly known that Australian politicans are significant owners of the Taxi Plates in places like Melbourne amongst others, such as rich sporting figures , lawyers ect.

And to add the ultimate ironic twist Australain superannuation investment companies ( remember Australain taxi drivers receive no superannuation payments from these types.)

Labour politicians it has been rumoured are heavily into the scene in Melbourne.

Imagine a business where the human cattle( the term used by the taxi bosses over the last few years has been monkeys) is not required to pay Super(Pension) contributions, holiday pay, sick pay , where you get your cattle to pay their own insurance for your tax deductible vehicle, and their own work injury insurance.

Where you can get rid of any taxi driver who complains , without any scrutiny, where you can intimidate and bully thos ewho take unpaid holidays or claim against the insurance they pay for.

Not bad eh?

Approx 20,000 human beings working for less than the minimum wage ...because the fine institutions of australia deem it fair and acceptable for them to be deemed "Baillees" a working condition that was abolished in almost every other trade profession over a hundred years ago.

And Australia justifies allowing all sorts of strange thing s under United Nations Laws, yet it allows the priveleged (approx $400,000 national average to own a taxi palte) to exploit , steal and rob the futures of those ex.... IT professionals, Teachers, Tradesman, ect ect who find themselves unemployed but are too proud to try and claim unemployment benefits , those who get up at 3am in the morning and work sometimes until 5pm , to earn hat the politican who owns the taxci plate earns in approx 1 hour.

Fair go Australia?

Th elatest news is to make up the shortfall of drivers in Melbourne Australia they are advertising in Greece for people to take up well paid positions in Australia.

How do I know all of this?

My Nephew ,and my brother inl law all qualified people in other areas are Taxi drivers.
edit on 22-8-2012 by Dr Expired because: spelling

edit on 22-8-2012 by Dr Expired because: spelling

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 04:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Dr Expired

The phenomenon of migration of people from the second and third world is not accidental or incidental. It's occurring all over the western world and its purpose is to water down nationalistic fervor, create a slave labour force and create as much long term internal division in all its forms, as possible.
What you have observed is one of its planned effects taking shape.

Schepple Corby had the media for a prosecutor (by always using her title - Convicted Drug Dealer) but these illegal immigrants now have the media as a supporter by referring to them using their title - Asylum Seekers.
Funny how the laws of the sea were written for one purpose but, as we now know, it was also developed for another reason as well.

Just goes to show how far ahead TPTB think and how they have access to the best brains around figure out how to put in place structures and arguments that will win public support but which will facilitate an entirely different outcome.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 06:16 AM
link   

Yet Australia has approximately 20,000 human beings of both Australian Citizenship and visa workers who are working as FULL TIME TAXI DRIVERS.

Number of drivers
Active drivers Approximately 15,000
Accredited drivers Approximately 24,000

Source

There is a distinct difference between ACTIVE and ACCREDITED. Active doesn't mean full time either, so your grossly over exaggerated figures are grossly exaggerated.

edit on 22-8-2012 by AlphaHawk because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlphaHawk

Number of drivers
Active drivers Approximately 15,000
Accredited drivers Approximately 24,000

Source

There is a distinct difference between ACTIVE and ACCREDITED. Active doesn't mean full time either, so your grossly over exaggerated figures are grossly exaggerated.

It is noted you left out your source
Actually there are approximately 60,000 accredited taxi drivers in Australia and between 20,000 and 33,000 active Taxi drivers if you are going to oarticipate by insulting and discrediting the oP on a very important subjest at least give a source .

Here is my source read it , and tell me Australian Taxi drivers are not exploited.
www.tda.net.au...
Cheers for at least reading the topic.

edit on 22-8-2012 by Dr Expired because: misarrangement

edit on 22-8-2012 by Dr Expired because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   

I dont know what state of mind you are in, but Taxi Regs are defined by the Victorian Government NOT the federal government, unless you are suggesting the Federal Government should attempt to create a global regulation for the Taxi Industry?

Edit - So EACH state has THEIR own regs.

Nextly, I'm of the understanding and looking at my Taxi Reciepts, each cab is run and owned as a franchise. This means he/she/it who owns the cap is the owner of that franchise. Now if this is correct, which im of that understanding seeing as 3 cab drivers have 3 different ABNs marching sole trading companies, this means they are their own boss, THEY set their hourly wage (by working).

Lets put it this way - You are your own boss, your company earns JUST enough to pay you 200 dollars a week. Who is the blame for that? The government or yourself?

Essentially with Fuel prices going through the roof, yeah the industry is struggling i understand that. But realistically speaking my organization pays 100+ dollars for me to take a cab home from work, thats a 30 minute trip. So we will do the math:
- Franchise fee - 50 cents to the dollar (this seems overly high)
- Fuel - $8.19 (Based on a Petrol car Falcon XT cyl car @ 10.5 litres/100km $1.56 P/l)
- Toll fees $5.96 (which is an extra)

Total:
Monday @ 10:29pm - 118.29 + 5.96 freeway toll -
118.29/2 = $59.145 in alledged franchise fees (50c to the dollar)
59.145-8.19 (Fuel)=50.955

So for 30 minutes work that cabbie (minus tip) earned $51, please note Taxi drivers get a fleet discount on fuel, and most of them are LPG (which is cheaper), my figures are based on PETROL not LPG.

Of course this is MY take on this scenario, and its area specific. The cab driver living next to us is doing more than alright for himself.
edit on 22-8-2012 by Spruk because: (no reason given)

Edit 2 - I'm not too sure why this is in General, shouldnt it be located in Regional Politics?

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Spruk

Your ignorance of the facts is astounding and your attitude to exploited people being self emloyed so tough is why so many people around the world are exploited.

The average taxi driver earns less than thirteen dollars an hour over a 12 mth period.

Iam in a sound state of mind... thanks for the insult anyway, I would expect nothing less .

Taxi drivers are not franchises , they work for for either individual owners of taxi plates and cabs, or taxi depots who monopolise the market, my brother in law like thousands of other drivers has tried to lease a license for the last four years that way he does not have to hand over 55% of every meterd fare to the parasites that order him around every day.

I feel gulity because years ago I drove cabs whilst studying that was twenty years ago he is earning less than I was then, yet rents have increased by 250 to 300%, not to mention utilitie bills, house prices, education, food.

He and my nephew were both retrenched years ago from a Ceramic pottery factory .

To make the minimum wage per hour over a year he would have to retain approx 65% to 70 % of his meterd takings , he can only retain 45% presently, some cities you an retain 50%.

Every other worker in Australia receives superannuation, except Taxi drivers, even though they work for the same Taxi Plate owner every day(not in all cases).

Just sit back and think about it , there are Taxi owner drivers ....but Iam talking about Taxi drivers.
This site is about denying ignorance thats all iam trying to do, and Iam sure Australia is not the only nation that exploits its taxi drivers.
Soon In Qld thousands of public service workers will be sacked, god help them, if they get jobs as Taxi drivers.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   

I wont revise my statement as it will disconnect what you are saying. My statement was intended to be "i dont know what state you are FROM", i do apologise for that.

All examples, stats and information ONLY applies to Victoria, and is under Victorian regulation, do not apply these to national figures or/and other states as it will invalidate anything you are trying to discuss.

The thread topic is "Melbourne", you are quoting National numbers. The two are NOT hand in hand, the each state and territory regulates their own Taxi service, so stop trying to apply National numbers to a state regulation. It's skewing numbers to make your argument, which in turn is invalidating most of your points (I'm not stating i disagree with them, sure i didnt know you where talking about sub-leased plates from your OP, which in turn would lower that "20,000" number).

2002 article, so you can see the general CHANGE from the bottom article.
Age Article - 2002 (Victoria)

General Information about taxi sub-leasing -
Taxi Broker service (Victoria)

Professor Fels said the average wage of Melbourne cab drivers was about $13 an hour. The new minimum hourly rate would be several dollars higher than that, especially on Friday and Saturday nights when higher fares would kick in. Under the proposals, drivers would receive 60 per cent of fares and cab owners 40 per cent. Now, drivers receive no more than 50 per cent of fares and often less.

(Source)Age Article - Fels Taxi Study 2012

I also do not see why calling me "ignorant" as you can see above I've actually done my reading when it comes to VICTORIAN regulation, i deal with Taxi drivers often as my work tends to keep be back quite often meaning i am left with catching a Taxi back to my home (of course on the company dime), so to best arm myself with my rights and the rights of the taxi drivers i have taken it upon myself to read he VTD information, and reference their regulations in law. In the end you are using 2 people as your reference, and applying this to the entire Australian industry, which is like comparing apples to oranges.

But to me there is no conspiricy here, its just a legislation change that perhaps you (and your family) need to lobby the state government for.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   

See that pretty coloured word on my post that says "Source"?

Yeah my source is there.

15,000 active taxi drivers in Victoria.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Your apology is accepted
I guess mind can slip in all sorts of places.

The hourly rate you are mentioning is fairy tales.

I could divulge alot more about corruption in the Taxi industry espescially when it comes to Politicans but I will leave that alone, for my relatives sake.

The legislation to keep Taxi drivers on Baillee status instead of employee status has been challenged but keeps getting a new lease of life.

Why...well if the names of Taxi plate owners was put on the Public record all would perhaps come clearer.

You say you deal with taxi drivers a lot....ask them if they are drivers only or owner drivers or leaseholders of a Taxi plate.

The majority are Drivers only...they get the slaves deal.

As stated approx $13 per hour minus GST, and income tax.

Of course night drivers on a Friday or Saturday night earn approx $20 to $25 per hour but to get those shifts most Taxi drivers have to work at least two quiet shifts.

On a Monday or Tuesday night the earnings of a taxi driver is approx 6 to 10 dollars per hour.

The dayshift drivers who are required to convey safely war veterans , sick and elderley people, disabled people, mental patients, plus the general public , can earn as little as seventy dollars for a twelve hour shift on quiet days.

Imagine getting up at 3am and working until 3pm for seventy dollars gross.

Then hearing Julia Gillard the PM of Australia bleat on about Universal superannuation and an increase in teh minimum wage when she knows this doesn't apply to some of the most hardorking Australians and overseas visa workers in this nation.

In was lucky I got out of the slave racket my brother in law applies still for other work, but he is over forty and his Nephew was trained to be a potter,the Taxi industry is full of older retrenched IT professionals, teachers,public servants, tradesmen, sportspeople, veterans ect ect as well as the newly arrived from predominantly INDIA..who whilst still young enough get out of the industry as quick as they can once they get their Permanent residency rights.
My brother in law has relied on his lifesavings to supplement the slave age now that is gone.. he will soon have to work seven days a week , to just survive.

He pays over four hundred dollars in Rent, he earns approx $550 gross for approx 5o hours work five days a week.

He can't take a holiday because their is no holiday pay.
When he is sick , no pay.
No superannuation .
Then he gets letters from the ATO asking for tax payments.
Every Aussie has to pay tax, but every Aussie doesn't get suiper, sick pay, holiday pay, nor the minimum wage

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   

The legislation to keep Taxi drivers on Baillee status instead of employee status has been challenged but keeps getting a new lease of life.

You see they are a leasee, which then classifys them as "self employed". A LOT i mean a LOT of organizations do this, it enables them to fire staff at the drop of a hat instead of having to deal with the 3 strikes rules or/and redundancy rules.

You say you deal with taxi drivers a lot....ask them if they are drivers only or owner drivers or leaseholders of a Taxi plate.

Victoria - Already have, 2 of the ones i deal with are Leasee's and one is an owner
Queensland - Deal with 1 driver, she is a leasee, using a hybrid car (which is the new legal standard i believe in QLD)
New Zealand - 2 i deal with are a husband and wife team who are owners (different laws apply), seems they have a new car each year. (This is the comparible)

Vic Driver 1 Leasee - Indian chap, quite a nice fellow. Sadly he earns on average the lease (Suburban)
Vic Driver 2 Leasee - English chap, like the above nice fellow, sits in the middle of the three drivers (metro)
Vic Owner - Earns a LOT of cash (this guy doubles as "the guy next door"), to him the hours are bad, but he likes dealing with the people (Metro).

ALL three have excellent customer service, however Driver 1 earns less because he doesnt want to stray too far from home, driver 2 & 3 are all over the shop and have taken me from home to the airport (so Eastern Melborune to Tullamarine) on a number of occasions.

The dayshift drivers who are required to convey safely war veterans , sick and elderley people, disabled people, mental patients, plus the general public , can earn as little as seventy dollars for a twelve hour shift on quiet days.

Victorian regulations state that Taxi drivers cannot refuse a lawful fare. Their status in the community is not relevant, nor is the time of day. A refusal of a lawful fare can result in termination of their VTD accreditation - Source.

So to close this segment off for me any how - Like all self employed jobs, you have your risks and rewards, what we need in this specific discussion is clear lines, all of my comments are based on Victorian standards, regulations and legislation. There has been 1 entry of a comparible for another country (its comparison only). What i need from you is to understand what you are trying to achieve? Change? If so you have to ignore everything Julia Gillard is saying (and i like you do not like her, but i have different reasons), but at present she has no power to govern states over this specific legislation.

He can't take a holiday because their is no holiday pay.
When he is sick , no pay.
No superannuation .
Then he gets letters from the ATO asking for tax payments.
Every Aussie has to pay tax, but every Aussie doesn't get suiper, sick pay, holiday pay, nor the minimum wage

This is correct, self managed contractors do not get super from their "employers" because they are self employed, its upto them to manage their own affiars, and the FEDERAL statute regarding super does not apply. Same thing applies to the sick and annual leave. Yes everyone pays tax, i get a lovely letter from the Tax Department every year stating my tax bill.

Again a comparible - i spent a few years as a self managed contractor, I only got super because i did co-conts to lower my tax liability. I never took sick leave, because i didnt have any. I took holidays on weekends, because i didnt have annual leave. Some jobs i took as little as 3 dollars an hour coupled with 12-16 hour days, this is not specific to the Taxi industry.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Spruk

You would be a n excellent fit representing Taxi Owners of plates in Australia, Stalin employed many to distort the truth in order to justify the Communist regimes atrocities and purges.

How about ignoring this thread and trolling another thread that doesn't involve the exploitation of HUMAN BEINGS.

You have no idea how taxi drivers are treat, how much of a sham it is too label them self employed.

Lets just let the truth be in that.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 11:44 PM
link   

I'll state my questions and answers despite you didnt:
1. What are you trying to achieve? - I'll assume to bring this to the attention of the public of Australia. Perhaps contacting your local member of the Victorian parliment, and/or the newspapers (i'd recommend contact The Age, as they usually have some indipendence and integrity left in my opinion.)
2. Get better working standards for the Taxi Drivers of Victoria
- Try contacting VTD, liase with other drivers?
3. Getting better conditions by commercial force?
- Try getting a group of cabbies togther and throw places like silvertop off the top of the ladder? Or perhaps start a union to lobby for better conditions and pay?

Edit - I suppose what i am getting at is there is something being done (Abet like all government processes, is slow) in Victoria. Prof Allan Fels is a smart man, but if you (by extension your family) think this is all wrong, lobby for it. How i can agree, since i have been there working for 3 bucks an hour is wrong, and is no no stretch a viable position, but i had (and still do have) options. What I'm getting at is someone needs to fight for these people and you seem passionate about it, so take the fight to the government, take the fight to the huge taxi corps, get VTD to change their policies in regards to taxi plate sub-leasing.

The problem in posting it on a Conspiricy Forum is that no one from the general popualtion of Australia, except the VERY sparse few will read it, including the people who NEED to read it. Most people in other countries will be too mixed up with the inner workings of their affairs.

Off Topic (except the part about you calling me a troll):

Ok, perhaps you have the definition of "trolling" mixed up with actual attempts to assist you.

Source - Trolling (Wiki)

In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory,[2] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as a forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[3] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion

My comments are definately not inflammatory or/and itent on provoking an emotional response. Thought provoking perhaps, showing that other industries also have this problem. Questioning? Definately, bringing additional facts to the table, and giving you a target lobby the (Federal government to bring in national standards, or lobby your local state government to ammend existing laws). But trolling? Definately not.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   
If I misjudged your intentions then I aplogise for that.

According to my source several Taxi drivers have attempted to get the fqacts out there in the media, but the truth is then distorted, the gold coast ABC radio station stitched up a Gold coast cab driver real good a few months ago using prerecorded interview material.

Why? many varied people own Taxi license plates, they have never seen the cab drivers they exploit, the bankruptcies due to below minimum wage earnings of the drivers.
It could all be fixed by making it law that Taxi drivers be allowed to keep 65% of what they earn, but no the wealthy couldn't have that could they?

No money is too important , despite it in the majority of cases it just being a side investment for them.

Without the driver they earn zero.
Yet they are happy for the driver to have no holidays, no superannuation and no sick pay.

It is kept quiet and has been for decades.

Members of Parliaments?

They own Taxi licenses.

edit on 23-8-2012 by Dr Expired because: spelling

top topics

join