It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Paul and Republican Party Officials Reach Deal on Delegates

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 10:35 PM
link   
This is from a blog on the NYTimes so i know the ATS Paul supporters will be ableto tell if the writer has taken any liberties here..

thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com< br />
The presidential campaign of the libertarian Republican Ron Paul has reached agreement with party leaders on delegate disputes, clearing the way for a harmonious convention to nominate Mitt Romney next week in Tampa, Fla.

Mr. Paul’s campaign manager, Jesse Benton, said the agreement would seat 17 additional Paul delegates from Louisiana, as well as three additional delegates and two alternates from Massachusetts.

Negotiations continued over delegates from Maine. But Mr. Benton said the party’s Committee on Contests would recommend splitting the delegation from Maine between representatives of Mr. Paul and Mr. Romney.

A Republican National Committee official confirmed the deal, crediting “mutual respect and professionalism” between the candidates.

The article also mentions that their will be cooperation in coming up with the party platform.

Appears to me that the GOP is closing ranks as they head into the convention.

What's your take?

I didn't see a thread on this so if I missed it please provide a link so I can close and redirect.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

clearing the way to nominate Romney

That is the writers assumption, or taken straight from the mouth of Jesse Benton. Jesse Benton has been sending Paul supporters inconsistant messages all through this campaign, this whole compromise on delegates and then a "oh btw we are paving the way for a Romney nomination" type deal has been played out by him. Ron Paul should of let him go a long time ago.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Ron Paul won 27 delegates from the state of Louisiana fair and square, playing by all the rules established by the state's Republican Party. When those rules, which were created to make sure the establishment candidates win, did not work the way the establishment wished, they changed the rules 2 days before the state convention(which was against their own rules).
When the delegates were fairly chosen in support of Ron Paul (per the rules and statutes of the La Republican Party), the pro-Paul chairmen was forcefully thrown out by off duty state troopers hired by connected party leaders. The man was hospitalized.
Now we're supposed to be happy that the Republican Party is "allowing" 17 Paul candidates after they would not give up?
I think Rand Paul's convention speech has something to do with this. I hope it factors into the long term strategy of the Pauls to awaken the American people. I do not trust Rand as much as his dad, though.

I do not like it, but perhaps, in the long term, not causing a ruckus is the best strategy if a statement is still made.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

This is exactly the kind of rhetoric people from major news organizations like to slip into their blogs to influence popular opinion. The power of suggestion is a form of art that major media has become savant in, and it is a very effective tool to brainwash the masses with. It isn't the Paul campaign, Jesse Benton, or Mitt Romney or his allies that stated this move would "PAVE THE WAY" for Romney to be elected... no. This came straight from the blogger from the new york times, who is someone I have never heard of before, and do not trust. What an amazing revelation! To think for one moment that so many people could blindly believe this word magician. Isn't that why they call them 'sheeple'?

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 07:32 AM
link   
What bothers me is why does Romney need to do this for a few delegates? I thought he has already won? Just like with the shenanigans that are going on in Mass, why would Romney and the RNC need to commit fraud if his nomination is all but locked up?

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by maddog99

Romney wants as much support as he can get at the Convention, the more cheering the better.

I'm sure some deals are being made behind the scenes, I don't know for what, but I'm sure there are deals being made.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Another article on this topic:

Romney And GOP Strike Deal With Ron Paul Loyalists Before Convention

...Romney and the RNC had been pursuing a legal strategy that appeared designed to prevent Paul from coming into the convention with "the support of a plurality of the delegates from each of five or more states."

Why? Reaching that threshold, according to the party rulebook, would allow Paul delegates to place the longtime congressman's name into nomination during the convention, and the candidate to make a speech. Paul has not sought to be nominated from the floor.

But as Josh Putnam, a campaigns and elections expert, has noted, the scenario of restive Paul supporters on the convention floor presented a headache for Romney and Republicans, who naturally want to project party unity and power coming out of the convention....

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher
reply to post by maddog99

Romney wants as much support as he can get at the Convention, the more cheering the better.

I'm sure some deals are being made behind the scenes, I don't know for what, but I'm sure there are deals being made.

And you can envision Romney getting any kind of support from the Paul delegates? Even better, do you think Romney, the GOP and the RNC are that delusional?

I believe if they were truly confident in their candidate and the first round vote, no deals would be made...just like in 2008.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn
Another article on this topic:

Romney And GOP Strike Deal With Ron Paul Loyalists Before Convention

Paul has not sought to be nominated from the floor.

We need to realize that even though Ron Paul states he is not seeking the nomination from the floor, his supporters are and will try to nominate him.

This is going to be interesting to say the least.

top topics

join