It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who is excited about the end of the world / armageddon scenario?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Whenever a topic in the survival forum / global meltdown / etc is broached about "the end of the world" or a SHTF scenario, there always seems to be a cadre of people who seem to have a sense of excited expectation.

Who among us welcomes the end of the world as we know it?

Who hearkens for a day where the consumerist society we live in is no more? Who longs for electricity to be no more ... and for us to adopt a post-armageddon style existence?

I'm genuinely interested to hear what people are thinking. I think it's true that there is a collective sense of anticipation amongst people on ATS, and in the wider public as well; it seems we are all waiting for a change, for an end to this dream we're living in at the moment.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   
well, at least we wouldn't have to hear about Nibiru again?

if it does excite some, there are bigger issues at hand.
edit on 21/8/2012 by outsidethesquare because: (no reason given)

maybe some people are looking forward to solar flares, so they can play world of warcraft in real life?

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Yeah, it's actually an interesting question/point. I know that I really enjoy reading about such things on alternative news sites, it takes up a portion of everyday, and there's definitely a joy involved in the research. Also, I think that as a Christian, we Christians do obviously look forward to the end in the way that we see it. Of course, we believe this will involve the return of the Lord, so there's an excitement to that, obviously.

However, on a personal note, the thought really scares me. I mean, it would mean such a radical shift in our lives, and I suppose if that happens I'll just deal with it. But, like all change, it'll be hard. The next time you take a shower, stop and think, wow...I'm just standing here and clean, steaming hot water is shooting out of the wall and cascading all over me. It's pretty amazing.

~Lee

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   
A lot of sadness. Unbearable sadness in that scenario. But then again, the world is sad as hell as it is and getting sadder. So...Woot, Bring it ON!!

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Well, I don't think the world is going to end in 2012. I think something may happen to our Economy yet or prices of necessities are going to go way up. Being an election year makes i harder to predict. Nothing looks good though.

Am I anxious? No, I hope I am wrong but evidence I have seen in the news and elsewhere shows things may not turn out well. Nobody is prepared for a falling apart of our economy, certainly not me. Oh well, I guess I will not be alone anyway, many of my fellow Americans will sink in the same ship.

Solar flares and power outages? Just another complication to make things worse if they hit us hard. Chances are only one in a hundred that a big flare will take out power lines and even then chances are it won't be wide spread. I live farther north so the chances are worse here now than in the winter.
edit on 21-8-2012 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Personally, all I see in the real world sense of this happening is loss. I'll lose family, from those I have left. I'll lose what's left of a nation I love deeply and to my core. My son will lose any hope he'd ever had to "be someone" or "make something of himself" aside from that of a soldier or rag tag fighter in the ruins...if he even lives to see that much.

I hear ya on the OP..and the near glee some people seem to have is disturbing, IMO. There's no upside if things do fall apart or natural disasters come on steroids and lay us all flat. Just endless tragedy and loss...with the distant light of rebuilding on the other end. Hardly something I'd say anyone ought to look forward to.....assuming those saying it are even counted among the survivors of the initial stages for whatever it may be.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 10:45 PM
link   
If I am excited, it is because I am getting ready to go back home to a huge joyful reunion with people whom
I haven't seen in....well.....a lifetime.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   
why does the war drums keep-a rollin?
why does the niburuists keep on theorizing?
don't they know it's the end of the world?
it ended when obama said, "Hi"

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 10:56 PM
link   
In my own way, in a thread I created, I am pointing to the people who are excited about this,
and it is detrimental to the whole of humanity.

Christians, Jews and Muslims as a block of religions
formed out of desert life conditions and a Patriarchal society
have for the past 2000 years been ACTIVELY Working to Make It Happen.

Instead of seeing our fellow man and woman as HUMANS First,
we demonize and create conditions of "Other"
that have infected us all so much that now,
it might actually be "Normal" to desire and be excited by the prospect of humanities end.

We wish to Be the Phoenix, yet we are just Canary in Cages who submit to this fiction we have created for ourselves with very little wiggle room for escape from our self destruction. As Phoenix we can rise from the ashes and be reborn to Live Again a more virtuous Life.

Within that is a desire to 'return to simplicity'.

We really are seeking a way out of this heavy technological consumer oriented way of being, and wish for more integrity and compassion towards our fellow beings.
Basically we want to be good, and prosper with equality. None of like our lives of social slavery to empty philosophies of material wealth when we see others suffer.

We all know the way it is now is wrong,,
It is like we are the ALTERNATIVE WORLD that has a polar opposite that is a UTOPIA.

Time for a Quantum Jump in Unison to achieve anything different than what we have now.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by ExCommando

Sure lots of people say they anticipate a shtf scenario. The same people that have never heard people screaming as they die. Seeing people be shot dead in front of them. Actually having to DO SOMETHING for food. And I doubt those people can do without electricity for an extended period of time.

The only change that will happen is a system change. You can listen to the current one speak about an inevitable demise of the world, but it's only their view that is collapsing. They will try to suck as many people with them as possible.. And at the end of it all, the 'golden age' will return.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 11:08 PM
link   

OP I say BRING IT!!!

I been canning my vegetables, I just purchased a good wood stove plus my fire place. I have stocked up on kerosene lamps, lighters, and bottles of distilled water. My home has got guns, machetes, bb's and bows and arrows and the biggest plus... I live in the boonies!

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   
I made a similar thread about this not long ago. In it, I wondered who is hoping for or even depending on such an event.

I myself, an depending on it. I am hoping whatever 'it' is, is an extinction level event. I think the problems we have created and the issues we are dealing with are far beyond repair and we have sealed our fate. I hope it isn't prolonged and many suffer in waiting for it, and whatever 'it' is, is also sudden.

If I were encountered with the realization of an end of the world scenario, I hope to see it coming and in those last few seconds I anticipate a sense of relief. I would no longer have to worry about the hell my child would grow up in, or have to see my family suffer any longer.

I wouldn't go so far as to say excited about it all. But I definitely am anxious to feel that moment of relief.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by P-M-H

Sure lots of people say they anticipate a shtf scenario. The same people that have never heard people screaming as they die. Seeing people be shot dead in front of them. Actually having to DO SOMETHING for food. And I doubt those people can do without electricity for an extended period of time.

The only change that will happen is a system change. You can listen to the current one speak about an inevitable demise of the world, but it's only their view that is collapsing. They will try to suck as many people with them as possible.. And at the end of it all, the 'golden age' will return.

True.

However, I have seen some pretty terrible things in warzones, and I have to lean towards a certain degree of "reserved" anticipation - something is on the horizon, I can feel it in my bones.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wolf321
I made a similar thread about this not long ago. In it, I wondered who is hoping for or even depending on such an event.

I myself, an depending on it. I am hoping whatever 'it' is, is an extinction level event. I think the problems we have created and the issues we are dealing with are far beyond repair and we have sealed our fate. I hope it isn't prolonged and many suffer in waiting for it, and whatever 'it' is, is also sudden.

If I were encountered with the realization of an end of the world scenario, I hope to see it coming and in those last few seconds I anticipate a sense of relief. I would no longer have to worry about the hell my child would grow up in, or have to see my family suffer any longer.

I wouldn't go so far as to say excited about it all. But I definitely am anxious to feel that moment of relief.

Wow, thank you for being honest and candid.

Do you really worry about the, I quote, "hell my child will grow up in, or see your family suffer any longer?"

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   
I am. The end is actually the beginning of something much better. It`s in the Bible.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by kat2684

OP I say BRING IT!!!

I been canning my vegetables, I just purchased a good wood stove plus my fire place. I have stocked up on kerosene lamps, lighters, and bottles of distilled water. My home has got guns, machetes, bb's and bows and arrows and the biggest plus... I live in the boonies!

Careful with your wood burning stove - if you've gone remote to bug out and be secluded, a wood fire will attract attention for up to 2 miles away (smell).

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Can't say that I would be excited but for me it would be that chance to see all the hard work in prepping pay off
And a chance to put some of the things I have learned put to use....but mainly a chance to say a big " I told ya so"!!
To some people that will be begging for a few of my raman noodles

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 11:27 PM
link   

My wood stove is for heat and cooking incase of an outage, however if I have to hide I got a nice bit of swamp land behind my home, my husband has figured out where all the quick sand is (by accident) I would hide out there.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by ExCommando
Wow, thank you for being honest and candid.

Do you really worry about the, I quote, "hell my child will grow up in, or see your family suffer any longer?"

Absolutely. Considering the state of the US, the world and humanity, it's impossible not to.

My child is the only goodness I see in the world. I see her having to grow up in a world devoid of ethics and morals. A place where what little rights she has now, will be further eroded if not eliminated by the time she is an adult. In an environment full of toxins and poisons in everything, including the food.

Any thorough and honest assessment of the state of things, would show that there is no hope for humanity, for freedom or for life.

I personally have to struggle now just to provide the basic necessities for her to live, and even then I have help from various sources. Because of the economy and the economic structure I can guarantee no advancement or personal economic growth. I have nothing to give my child but my morals and understanding of the world. If it were not for the fact that I am the only thing keeping the pain and corruption away from her, I would have zero purpose in living.

I hope that whatever happens is not simply a SHTF situation. Things would only be worse then. I hope for a full blown planet wide catastrophe where no one survives. If there is a God, a God of mercy, if there is only a SHTF situation, I pray that it happens to my area and my family and I are wiped out in that first instance.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by kat2684

Yeah, we are on the same page///
I am a 50+ yo woman without a helpful partner in the middle of nowhere on 160 acres of ground I can live well on, if left to my own devices
I am here by choice.
I remember a different world than the one we live in today. I grew up in the city(Los Angeles) and Y2K got me thinking about my interdependence on society and the world.
That is when I began changing my priorities.I have what I need and not much more I dont do my hair and nails like I used to...waaay lower maintenance lol
My life and relationships with others is waaaay more simple and more satisfying
I am interested in why my chickens arent laying as well as my neighbor down the road lol
I dont have tv/radio...I have sat internet ( I'll miss that)
And I'm happy!

We as a a society have become so out of touch with life...the world has become too big and busy

I am in a position that guarantees me a softer place to fall if TSHTF than most...I am thankful for that
My feeling is... bring the inevitable on NOW while I am still fit enough to endure it

edit on 21-8-2012 by Elostone because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join