It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nuclear Attack Message, What would you do?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by nightbringr

Originally posted by SrWingCommander
You know, most of those probably under 35 or so have probably never seen, "the Day After" or "threads". 2 80's movies that look at global (us/ussr) nuclear war. A bit cheezy by today's standards....but sobering.

I was in my early teens when i first saw "The Day After".

To this very day, i have never seen a more terrifying movie in my life. It was shown in 1984 when Reagan was famously confronting the "evil empire". The cold war during that time had the potential to go hot at any moment, as Able Archer could attest to.

I downloaded it as well as Threads to watch again a few years ago. Yeah, they are cheesy by todays standards, but the message is no less chilling, as are the attack scenes. Everyone should watch these movies.

Other movies for your appocalyptic viewing needs: Countdown to Looking Glass, Testament, Miracle Mile, Special Bulletin and my personal favorite, even if its not nuclear in nature, The Road.
edit on 22-8-2012 by nightbringr because: (no reason given)

If I remember "Countdown to Looking Glass" was a documentary maybe. I know some of the footage was used in "the Day after". I vaguely remember "testament" I think Kevin Costner was in it, one of his very first film appearances. Another one is the cartoon they made in the UK "when the wind blows" which is on you tube, it's comical, but also very, very sobering.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by SrWingCommander
If I remember "Countdown to Looking Glass" was a documentary maybe. I know some of the footage was used in "the Day after". I vaguely remember "testament" I think Kevin Costner was in it, one of his very first film appearances. Another one is the cartoon they made in the UK "when the wind blows" which is on you tube, it's comical, but also very, very sobering.

www.youtube.com...

I forgot about When the Wind Blows, i love it!

I find it one of the most poignant of all. The poor old couple not quite understanding the gravity of the situation until its too late, slowly dieing of radiation after they survive the initial attack. Heart wrenching

Dont think Cosner is in Testament. Its about a small town in inland California that escapes the blasts only to succumb to starvation and radiation as time goes by. Very understated but the impact is there.

Edit. Costner was in fact in Testament after a quick googling. Good memory!

edit on 22-8-2012 by nightbringr because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   
I Live in LA, and think it would be much more likely for a N Korean missile to reach us at some point than Florida...In all reality there would be little I could do. I mean If it took place during the day, well the freeways would do doubt already be packed from normal traffic. On top of that if this warning were put on the air all hell would break loose. We have no basements to hide in. I am not close to a fallout shelter. So I guess I would freak out and pray all at the same time....On this thread there has been talk about a half hour warning. I don't think by the time the message were on the air we would have that kind of time. I think it would be mere minutes. Like on the movie Testament. Which is a great movie, rather sad movie, about survivors...If I were to live through the blast, I doubt I would have much time left to live as the radiation would get me. Now I know N Korea cant reach the US as of now, but it is just a matter of time until they can. Oh I forgot to mention, we have been past defcon 3 in the past and we had no warning...this video was a little too forgiving on what our government would let us know.
edit on 22-8-2012 by kurthall because: fogot something

edit on 22-8-2012 by kurthall because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-8-2012 by kurthall because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Lie next to a man hole cover? Quickly white wash the windows, and build a shelter using a door and some cushions. I'd be fine. I seen it on TV

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Well, if a nuke was aimed at my little corner of the world there would be no point in hurrying to prepare because with all the refineries and pipelines we will be wiped off the face of the planet. So I think I would grab that overpriced bottle of wine we've been saving for a special occasion, pour a glass for me and my husband, put on a Yo Gabba Gabba DVD for our granddaughter and we would all snuggle up on the couch- hugging and singing "Don't Bite Your Friends" until we are gone.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   
A good post that, the only thing here though that I can put on the site is that the public wont be alerted in the UK or USA or anywhere else in any NATO area. The reason is that the public were removed from ALL emergency notices some 10 years ago, that was why the UK government closed the ROC posts down, they were there to protect the public, the only UK group that use to protect them.
Now in the UK & USA you wont need to prepare if any nuclear attack happens simply because you wont get told, by the time you know you have been attacked you will smell strange if you are close to point where missile lands, rather like burnt toast, and if your seen on streets where everyone is not quite dead the army are told to shoot you so your not a pest to them.
Sad by true,however be happy that your leaders who got your country into such a b - - - -y mess will be okay in the bunker you prepared for them with your tax money.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   
if i knew there is absolutely 0% survivability i would run toward the center of the explosion, and look at the sky in awe!

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   
If youre at home....and zillions WONT be...you wont even see such an announcement. Theres nowhere you can hide...go to...get away....or come out fine. Nowhere.

The only thing youll have seen when something like that comes on...is a bright flash of light...and maybe a second to say "What the HELL was th..............."
edit on 06-10-2010 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   
That's a really creepy video....
but the part where the voice said "launch detected" reminds me of the Starcraft ghost calling in a nuke strike

I'm no expert in the subject, and sorry if this is dumb, but would taping up all the cracks around window/doors in an apartment be viable against keeping out radiation fallout?
edit on 22-8-2012 by Gwampo because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gwampo
That's a really creepy video....
but the part where the voice said "launch detected" reminds me of the Starcraft ghost calling in a nuke strike

I believe thats the Command and Conquer ghost your refering to.

Originally posted by Gwampo
I'm no expert in the subject, and sorry if this is dumb, but would taping up all the cracks around window/doors in an apartment be viable against keeping out radiation fallout

Against radiation itself, no, but fallout yes. So while it would not protect you from the blast of gamma the nuke itself gives off, it would at least partially prevent the fallout from coming inside the house.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   
I always imagine it happening sort of the way the "Fallout" video games put it. Although its in a different reality but I'm talking about the Chinese having a war with the US that only lasts 2:30 hours with both countries sending all their nukes at one another. Many Americans who were tired of the false flags from the past didn't go into the Government built Vaults. The ones who did stayed in the vaults for about 100 years before going out to the world. While the humans who survived on the mainland did anything to get by mostly becoming scavengers. Others formed gangs or tribes.
edit on 22-8-2012 by cloudieallover because: forgot something xD

edit on 22-8-2012 by cloudieallover because: :2

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by nightbringr

Nah, I am referring to Starcraft. Command and conquer may have had one also, but i've only played Tiberian Sun, and there were no nukes in that game.

thanks for answering my tape question!

edit on 22-8-2012 by Gwampo because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Yes as an x ROC Officer in the UK you can try to prevent radiation from getting into the building where you happen to be in when bomb goes off, if you are still alive after the blast put as much furniture around the lower part of the room walls as you can to give more protection to your body, like books in the windows as high as you can, use plastic sheeting round the door gaps and whole of windows inside, keep below the level of the items you put near the walls, this will take out quite a lot of the radiation from hitting you, if you are trapped with no water or food and you have a few people with you in room, building after a few hours you can send an older person out with good clothing cover and hanky over the mouth and nose to grab a few things to take back to your shelter room. Remember the reason you choose the older person is because say he, she is 50 yrs old, they are not going to be harmed by fall out for eg 20 years later, age will be 70 then.
Once the person gets back to your shelter they must remove clothes before you let them come in, if not you will be covered with fall out too.
If, yes if it ever happens the above could well save you and your folks lives to fight another day.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alternative4u
A good post that, the only thing here though that I can put on the site is that the public wont be alerted in the UK or USA or anywhere else in any NATO area. The reason is that the public were removed from ALL emergency notices some 10 years ago, that was why the UK government closed the ROC posts down, they were there to protect the public, the only UK group that use to protect them.
Now in the UK & USA you wont need to prepare if any nuclear attack happens simply because you wont get told, by the time you know you have been attacked you will smell strange if you are close to point where missile lands, rather like burnt toast, and if your seen on streets where everyone is not quite dead the army are told to shoot you so your not a pest to them.
Sad by true,however be happy that your leaders who got your country into such a b - - - -y mess will be okay in the bunker you prepared for them with your tax money.

Seems like it isn't used now due to the Mainstream Media "scooping" it.

My guess is for a missile alert it would be activated, but, who knows.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skellon
Sit back in wonderment as North Korea's longest range ICBM; the Taepodong-2, with a range of 6,700km manages to travel an extra 5,642km on vapour to hit Miami, Florida.

Regards, Skellon.

I chuckled as I thought the same but I am sure it was a Russian or Chi-com sneak attack from a Sub or Cuba.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by SrWingCommander

Hu? They test the EAS system in my area all the time. Unless they see a thousand nukes coming from Russia then it would be stupid for them not to warn people.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Why is everything gonna happen now? Hell not even ready for 2012, aliens, space people, God's return and now this? And the weather, theres not gonna be anything left! Somehow it really don't bother me feeling wise though. Look at it this way, live through it all and boy more storys to tell!

Actually, I hope for the alien contact, it seems it would be the best way to go. I call it renewable energy! Hope they are not fleash eaters though. 2012 would be more damaging, but would wake us up since what we have done to this planet its our fault!

I don't have any plans, most doomsdays stuff is all people think of. I wonder if it reflects their personal ideas on life. See you around in 2013

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Patriotsrevenge

I was replying to the previous post that said there was no public warning. there is with EAS and they do test it.

The link i posted was saying they haven't used it for real because usually the mainstream media cover any info now.

edit on 22-8-2012 by SrWingCommander because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   
I live in ROI(republic of Ireland) since we are neutral I would be less worried. But I would still go to the military base near my house. It's the biggest in Ireland and I have family there... I'd assume they would instruct me on what to do

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Connman

My dream made me leave Calif. many years ago, funny in the dream I held my 3 young children in my arms as the air was sucked out of the atmosphere, just before the big Swoosh! I now have 3 children.

* To those who say they will go out and watch, well does it cause blindness to look at it? I would hate to have my eyes burned and not be able to care for my loved ones and be a burden to them. Chances are if you burn your eyes you are far enough away to survive it right?

Edit to say, I am not prepared for WWIII. The radiation sickness would really suck.
edit on 22-8-2012 by antar because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join