It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

a motion introduced to place a ban on cigarette sales to anyone born after the year 2000?

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Why is it that we're trying to take away our only predators? We have too many people!

Smoking should be legal, cigs should be cheap, and smoking should be encouraged.

Same thing with trans-fat.

Advancements in fighting disease should be stopped.

These alone would open lanes on the highway. Every day a few more would go, more space would be had for those left. Figure the first 2 things I mentioned would thin the unwise, the last is all chance, but we all gotta die.

Derek

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Speaking from a UK point of view cigs will never be banned. Simply for the sheer revenue the government rakes in from taxation! £7.20 for a 20 pack of my brand, 75% of which is tax!

Aside from that I do enjoy a smoke but feel I should stop and may try soon... again (I've been on and off for years). But it is MY choice to smoke and no one else's. Simple.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   
First they came for the smokers,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a smoker.
Then they came for the ice cream,
and I didn't speak out because I don’t eat ice cream.
Then they came for the soda,
and I didn't speak out because I don’t drink soda.
Then they came for me,
and there was no one left to speak for me.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   
It will never pass...they want us dead..

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   
The OP and a few others are so blinded by their hate that their ignorance is showing.

Banning drugs has failed.
Banning guns has failed.
Banning prostitution has failed.
Banning alcohol has failed.
Banning gambling has failed.
Yet somehow in a magical land this ban will work. How is this?

Now as for some other stuff I have seen posted in their hate against tobacco.

The 13 year olds smoking got their cigarettes from a black market of some for or they would not be smoking them. It does not matter if a family member gave it to them it was a black market.

Vehicles spew more crap than cigarettes ever will that is far more harmful. We do not need vehicles they just make life easier. We have legs and horses and buggies that would work but would be more inconvenient.

I am not sure why everyone has so much trouble avoiding smokers. I used to smoke and I avoid them pretty easily, even in restaurants that have smoking sections still (though these are rare). In fact I cannot say smokers are really a problem as far as being able to avoid them. Being in Missouri there are a lot of smokers still. I have no problem walking around them and being outside it is not like I am trapped in a room breathing their smoke. Their smoking is not getting to me because I am not worried about something someone else is doing. I am not pretending to be worried about their polluting the air while polluting it even more with my car. It is completely hypocritical to say smokers are harming you when you a drive a car.

Ignorant hate blinds. Banning this and taking away someone's right to poison themselves will only lead to something you or I like being banned. We do not need a nanny state. Depend on yourself not the government. Stop being a drama queen and making a fuss over cigarette smoke while driving a car that pollutes the air even more.

Raist

edit on 8/22/12 by Raist because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop

Cigs are more dangerous than terrorists, in my mind!

That's odd. I can't ever remember hearing on the news that a carton or a pack of cigarettes ever strapped on a bomb-vest and blew itself up in a crowded market or hijacked an airliner and ran it into a building.

I'm not going to disagree that cigarette smoking is a bad and disgusting habit. I will agree that cigarette smoking is just as bad as alcohol consumption, or maybe even not as bad, so if the man can ban one...he needs to ban the other.

I will not be responsible for the consequences.

I will add that when anyone is inflicted with a smoke-related illness...they much accept the fact that there will not be any medical treatment for them and they will die.
edit on 22/8/12 by Intelearthling because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by LockNLoad
First they came for the smokers,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a smoker.
Then they came for the ice cream,
and I didn't speak out because I don’t eat ice cream.
Then they came for the soda,
and I didn't speak out because I don’t drink soda.
Then they came for me,
and there was no one left to speak for me.

'nuff said....
Star for you....

I can't believe what I'm reading. I can't believe people here actually support this idea. But then again. You guys come from all over the world. Here In America this would never fly... Only creat a nice big black market for the rest of us poor citizens to capitalize off of. Heh..

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Raist

Yeah, Lol.. It's like listening to a broken record...same crap over and over again..

You would think that people and lawmakers alike would get the clue that trying to ban peoples personal behavior is a futile feat that only creates a criminal class. But, I suppose the lawmakers and the ignorant masses have to make themselves feel important somehow.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

Though I tend to agree this is a beneficial law for health and even safety(a lot of fires have been started with lit cigarettes)
It's still a government deciding how it's people should live and what they should be allowed to do. I am a smoker and I am well informed of the perils it entails and yet I smoke. Why should anyone make me live longer than I choose to? Just because folks like you believe that it's unpleasant and disagree with it's use are determined to strip me of that right. It's funny, I bet you have a bad habit that harms your health and maybe the health of others like fast food or soda how about salt. I enjoy none of those things yet they all lead to inevitable health problems. so should I try to rob you of those simple pleasures or celebrate when some one else loses them in the form of laws and regulations? I have a severe distaste for folks like you. why ever celebrate when some one loses any of the freedom they have left in this life.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
I'm personally against it. If you want to ban EVERYTHING that could potentially kill/make someone sick then I'd be okay with it then. That would mean no more oil refineries/pollution anywhere near a city, no more alcohol, no more drugs period. Even prescription drugs over time can make people sick/die (many of which, yes don't have any means of paying for treatment on their own).

This babysitting of society has to stop. We need to start teaching our young people about being healthy and responsible. Not simply saying "no you can't have it" like they're 5 years old all over again. It's basic psychology that when you tell someone they can't have something they want it more than ever. I say we need to start giving freedoms back instead of taking more away.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by oasisjack

Should we outlaw matches and lighters too? I'm serious.... Do you think we should? I mean, with that kind of "train of thought" you have, maybe we should outlaw cars too. Or better yet. Let's makem outta NERF and have them run on sunshine and smiles!

EDIT: Sorry bud, this post was in support of you.. Not directed at you... Sorry...
edit on 8/22/1212 by foodstamp because: Edit

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   
let's see...black market sales of ciggies in tazmania will become the next job creator business...good for them...plus all the arrests, court dates, jail time, fines...there's going to be money!

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   
I was going to throw up a detailed reply, but some of you are just so over the top and melodramatic its a waste of my time.

Words like Hatred, ignorance, prohibition.. ATS has turned to rubbish and its purely because of all those people who cannot have a civil debate without sniping someone purely because they disagree.

Dont agree with me? keep your knickers on for crying out loud, stop being so over the top and childish. Whos calling for red meat and sugar? your crying over your freedoms because a official in tasmania wants to stamp out cigerettes for future generations... anyone with half a brain or heart should want to stamp out smoking for the future, if not for anything but the kids.

Personally, I think this is a fantastic concept, are there any chain smokers out there with cancer? anyone lost a parent or a loved one to lung cancer? anyone out there hooked and wishing they were not? anyone out there with kids?

Cigerettes bring nothing positive to society, not a damn thing. It ruins lives, families, costs money, clogs hospitals..

Im not calling for red meat, lollies, sugar blah blah blah.. your just being stupid to try and make a stupid comparison.

No freedoms are being taken away, if you want to grow tobacco, grow it, naturally.. smoke it do what you want.

ATS, what has become of a site i loved so much with so many people who are intent on making people feel dumb just because they think differently.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Whoo hoo a new back market in Tasmainia give it a few years and you will have a gold mine.You even have time to set it up and plan it out.
Laws making crime. Interesting.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Ok, In an attempt to make this an "Intelligent" debate. Ponder this...

How exactly do you think criminalization of tobacco would actually play out? Really... I want to understand your point on HOW exactly this would make SOCIETY better then we can go from there.

Honestly I don't think you've considered the consequences of enacting criminal consequences to a natural plant that people use for their own personal enjoyment.

I see this over and over again where people envision a grandiose idea of something like. "No more smokers" and then justify to themselves that the world would be better if we make new laws against a natural plant. All the while, COMPLETELY ignoring how implementing a law like that would take effect. And the endless amount of problems it would cause and lives it would ruin. in the name of prohibition.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Intelearthling
I will add that when anyone is inflicted with a smoke-related illness...they much accept the fact that there will not be any medical treatment for them and they will die.
edit on 22/8/12 by Intelearthling because: (no reason given)

Why will there be no medical treatment?

Smokers contribute billions in taxes to governments that non-smokers don't.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop
Cigerettes bring nothing positive to society, not a damn thing. It ruins lives, families, costs money, clogs hospitals..

Before getting your panties in a bunch prove anything in my post wrong. Everything I said in the post is true. Ignorance is lack of understanding. It is a lack of understanding to think that this will not open up a black market and will actually help to prevent future smokers.

As for the part I quoted the exact same thing can be said for alcohol. I know this because alcohol has done more damage to both mine and my spouses family than smoking ever has. Also I have more worries about a drunk driver killing my son than a smoker.

As for saying this will not lead to future bans on other things in the future you cannot prove nor disprove this either. However, all the signs point to the fact that it would and in fact has taken place in forms.

In parts of the U.S. Trans fats are now banned, they are working on laws to outlaw certain sizes of soda (like this will keep people from drinking that same amount). Facts are laws like this do nothing to help at all. The only thing laws like this do is make a noncriminal into a criminal.

Raist

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by foodstamp

oh now you asked for it!

Can I have the day to prepare a response?

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Awesome... Hell yes... I too have been waiting for an intellectual debate...

And I promise a well thought out response...

Any posts i make from here on out in this thread are in now way to be directed towards you... Or my point...So don't prepare a response according to any future postings i may make.. That's all I ask... Wooo, this is going to be fun... I think I've waited about 2 months for this... Heh
edit on 8/22/1212 by foodstamp because: Addition

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Tobacco isn't bringing a thing to you, so be it. Others like it. As mentioned, there are many positive attributes of tobacco. I dislike booze, but wouldn't want to impinge on your habits. I could smoke all day long, but it would be matched by one or two revolutions of a car engine idling in traffic, in terms of particulate. Can't do anything about that, can I?

What is it with these fascist urges people get? Live a little. I feel like I'm feeding a troll, keeping a stupid idea visible for people to suffer through.

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join