It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

a motion introduced to place a ban on cigarette sales to anyone born after the year 2000?

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 06:25 AM
link   
I know people that have allergic reactions and have gone into anaphylactic shock from smelling perfume and cologne in public...what about banning that stinky mess? Want to know what those people do? They leave the situation they become the better man and woman; and not make a scene like the world revolves around them...but I forgot this generation Y is the me me me generation, self centered and entitled, insecure with a pack mentality and scared to be singled out or different.

It doesn't matter what tobacco does or doesn't do for someone, if someone wants to smoke battery acid they have every right to. It is their body, you have every right to leave the scene to protect your body from it, and respect that you are witnessing freedom, whether you like it or not.

Time to wake up though, as much as you coddle and protect yourself from every possible angle; you will die. I know that's hard for people to grasp, especially the people that think everyone is here in their world; that this isn't a shared place. The only way this stupid society of hairless monkey's is going to survive, is if they learn tolerance.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 06:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by aaron2209

Originally posted by butcherguy
How about we force them to kick their illegal habit? Instead of supporting it!

What's so silly about that idea?

Hell yeah! Lock them all up and force people to do what they don't want to do!

Oh wait, how long has the war on drugs been going now and how successful has it been?

I was playing devils advocate.
I am libertarian at heart.
If a person wants to do heroin, I could care less. Just don't steal my TV to support your habit.

I smoke. It is stupid, I know. I admit that.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 06:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by aaron2209

Originally posted by butcherguy
ETA: The heroin is the problem, not the needles. People pierce their skin all the time, but who gets Hepatitis and HIV? People with tattoos? People that get Acupuncture?

Or is it IV drug abusers?
edit on 22-8-2012 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

Australian tourist gets HIV infection after Bali tattoo

Acupuncture spreads disease

edit on 22-8-2012 by aaron2209 because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-8-2012 by aaron2209 because: (no reason given)

That is purely anecdotal.

Do you actually believe that more people acquire disease through tattooing and acupuncture than from IV drug abuse?

Do you think that govt supplied needles aren't re-used and shared?

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 06:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by DAVID64
Wonderful Idea!! What next, red meat? Bad for you ya know.
How about banning chocolate/ That can make you fat.
When you allow them to decide what is good for you, you give them more power to control other aspects of your life. Where does it stop?

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Lazy parents rejoice, it will no longer be your duty to try and educate your children and steer them in the right direction - the government is doing it for you.

Suppose most adults need the government to do stuff like this as they're either too selfi-involved or simply too busy trying to make ends meet, working sometimes multiple jobs to supply their kids with the latest in trendy footwear.. That's modern life for most, have kids...work hard to give those kids what they need or what they think they need or are entitled to so they can grow up in a world where nobody has to make an effort with regards to self improvement - it's all about greed, fame, money - the latest phone, the trendiest clothes.

It gets worse, year in, year out. People having kids while they're still kids...not interested in their kids because the self-entitlement, poor me attitude kicks in....oooh, I've wasted my life! I know loads of young parents who care more about their phones than their kids...every year it gets worse. Some parents can't spend enough time with their kids not because they don't care but because they work so damn hard to provide for their kids. Generations of children raised by television are now allowing their own kids to be raised by an i-phone or a nintendo wii...Personally, I think both are just as harmful if not more so than smoking cigarettes or even marijuana...not that I'd advocate either of those. I do smoke, it's stupid...I've tried to quit and will again. I don't have kids...if I ever do there will be a lot of things I won't allow which I won't go in to...smoking is one. But I'd like to think I could educate them well enough to be able to make their own choices in adult life.

I'd want my kids to choose not to smoke because they know it's stupid...I don't want them not to smoke because it's illegal...told how to think? That's the problem with people these days...we don't need to try very hard, people equate self-improvement with buying the latest HD television or a new car. Material wealth and looking cool is all that matters to most folk these days and it isn't getting any better...quite the contrary.

With regards to the cost to health services...there is a cost, I'm sure. There's also a cost when it comes to those of us who overeat...those of us who abuse alcohol...and those of us who abuse illegal drugs - that's a key argument here. People can still obtain items/substances that are illegal...or we wouldn't have people being treated for drug addiction.

Your argument about the cost to health services isn't a double-edged sword, it's an infinitely edged sword...so let's ban alcohol...fast-food - in 20 years time when deluded fools who think they're characters from some playstation game start to pop up...we can ban video games too. Hell, let's ban cars, fed up with people being run over...seeing roadkill everywhere, breathing in exhaust fumes and what have you.

Educate kids, treat them with respect and give them some responsibility for who and what they are or are going to be...spend time with them. Or go play your xbox and leave it up to google, their phones, television and friends to teach them what life's about.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

Black markets will take over the legal selling of tobacco. People will always find a way
Besides, i doubt they'd start doing that in bigger countries, europe, us, etc. Do you have any idea how much the gov takes on the sale of tobacco? There is no way they'll do that
Money is too important, human life is not.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop
reply to post by Bakatono

Its not a personal belief but,
Its a sociological problem.
Your smoke, affects me.
Your addiction to smoke, clogs up the hospitals
Smoking doesnt give you anything, there's no pro's, no advantages, your doing it because your addicted and if you deny your addicted your also not very bright.

I am all for smoking being banned in pubs, clubs, public transport, shopping centres, you name it.
Because maybe my baby is close enough to breathe it in?
Maybe im a recovering addict and your disgusting habbit blowing into my personal space is a extreme invasion of my health?

It isn't a social problem. Herpes is a social problem. Smokers you can walk away from. And it is your personal belief. There are those that don't believe random whiffs of smoke walking out in the open will harm them. There are those that believe that just because smokers exist, regardless of their proximity, that they are somehow being harmed by them.

You child is breathing much more and much worse stuff when sitting in a stroller at exhaust level on a street corner than your child will ever breath by being within sniffing distance of a smoker. To say otherwise is completely facetious.

I understand and don't mind of proprietors choose to ban smoking inside their establishment. I don't agree with governments banning it. If I own a restaurant and I wish to cater to smokers that is my right. It is my business. I built it. Of you don't like it. Exercise your own personal liberty and don't eat there.

As for clogging hospitals. Hospitals are there for the sick and injured regardless of cause. If you were able to heal he world by banning smoking what next? Banning motorcycles to get those people out of the hospital as well? How about banning fat people from exercising to preven heart attacks? Maybe we should prevent travel to prevent montezumas revenge?

People should be able to choose how good, or bad, their quality o life is going to be. Smoke, don't wear a helmet or seat belt, drink the local water. Whatever. It doesn't affect me and if you did from it then it can never affect me an there is one less idiot in the world.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by balon0

Originally posted by TechVampyre
I'm not a smoker.. But talk about taking away our freedoms.. Quite literally.. This is a ridiculous idea. And it is one more nail in the constitution.

Edit to add: Smoke em' while you got them people..

edit on 21-8-2012 by TechVampyre because: (no reason given)

Well, think of all the innocent second hand smokers who die because of your "freedom."

And the litter, pollution, and fires caused by your so called "freedom."

That is a dumb argument. No one is dying from second hand smoke Smoking is already banned in enclosed areas. Being around a smoker in the open WILL NOT kill anyone. That's just dumb.

The litter does suck. I do wish smokers would police their butts.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Light up your torches of freedom !!!!!

dont let them go out.

The womens movement for equality was targeted with the torches of freedom title so they would take up smoking and be set free and liberated from the chain that bound them so long.
Now that chain is being anchored down for everyone.

"Torches of Freedom" was a phrase used to encourage women’s smoking during the women’s liberation movement in the United States. Cigarettes were described as symbols of emancipation and equality with men. The term was first used by psychoanalyst A. A. Brill when describing the natural desire for women to smoke and was used by Edward Bernays to encourage women to smoke in public despite social taboos. Bernays hired women to march while smoking their “torches of freedom” in the Easter Sunday Parade of 1929 which was a significant moment for fighting social barriers for women smokers.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   
I'm with the OP on this one . The kids in question now are 12. If you are exposing them to tobacco you are a douche. They're addictive, they're deadly.

This isn't about freedoms, it's about making decisions that are sensible. Alcohol and Tobacco are legal and we know they can mess you up big time. This bill isn't asking for the currently hooked to be penalised. It just says that let's not mess up our future generations. It's about time we started fixing things to what is right rather than the circus the world has become.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 08:36 AM
link   

I pay Taxes and National Insurance. I also pay tax on every packet of tobacco I purchase. I think I deserve to do what I like with my body after all its is mine. I do not drink alcohol and have not done so for around 20 years.

I say ban alcohol as its way more dangerous. It has a serious anti-social knock-on effect is every city/town on the planet.
I have seen its effects on society first hand, I used to be a Doorman in my town for 6 years so I know how bad it is.

But if I'm allowed to smoke then people should be able to drink as its got nothing to do with anybody else what people do with their own bodies. That goes for every substance on the planet. Prohibition is the cause of all the problems related to substance abuse.

edit on 22/8/12 by Ezappa because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Even though this could theoretically be a good idea, prohibition never worked. Look at the first prohibition. Well, I don't believe in bible but God had only 2 people to look over and they broke it.
"Thou shall not eat from the tree of knowledge" There was the alcohol prohibition which was a fiasco. And look at the war on drugs. It's most deffinitly not working out either. Ok, some shouldn't even be out-lawed but we can't talk about that even thought it's pertinant. The only things these kinds of laws do is finance our government, think of it as an other tax.
edit on 22-8-2012 by XLR8R because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by XLR8R

Yes the more laws they make the more revenue it generates. After all we have to create criminals to make the justice system justifiable.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   
With this it’d take two or three generations for there to be no more cigarettes. In 2018, an 18 year old will get his 19 year old friend who was born in 1999 to buy his cigarettes for him. It’d start an underground trade. People desperate enough would begin to grow their own tobacco. I can’t see why it wouldn’t become like weed. That stuff is illegal yet its use is widespread. Granted it’d significantly reduce smoking, but it won’t wipe it out. Just another illegal substance to be grown and traded by those willing to do so. Like drugs, it can never be wiped out unless the tobacco plant was made extinct or something.

I’m not a smoker, though I don’t mind the odd cigarette or cigar, but I can’t see this doing an awful lot. You’d have just as much luck trying to ban alcohol as you would cigarettes. There’s an 18+ restriction on both yet underage drinking/smoking is rife. I believe if you silly enough to be a regular smoker than that’s fine; just accept responsibility for the consequences and don’t bother non smokers with your smoke at restaurants and places like that. A pack in Australia is around $15. Of that $15, about $11 is a tax and goes to the Government. The tobacco company makes around $2.50 a packet and the shop where it’s sold keeps around $1.50. That’s a rough estimation, I couldn’t find any up to date info on the internet, but remember reading figures similar to that in the paper when they raised the tax.

I don’t think there’s any possible way to get rid of cigarettes and nor should there be. Crack down on the littering like they do in some Asian cities like Singapore and just leave each to their own. It’s a battle that will never be won.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   
You will always be able to purchase cigarettes, out lawed or not a black market would sprout up. Making cigarettes illegal to those in this age group will only increase the social fascination with them, in that the majority of cigarette smoking in youth is not done due to pleasure/addiction but specifically targeted at trying to convey the 'cool' image the smoking companies have succesfully indoctrinated into the 20/21st century youth culture. Many times Ive seen girls coughing as they smoke the cigarette, clearly not enjoying it, but revelling in portaying themselves as the mature cool 'adult'. Intrestingly in countries where drugs laws are extremely relaxed (Netherlands, Amsterdam being a example), smoking/weed is perceived as profoundly uncool by the youth culture because you are not breaking the law when you smoke the cigarett/weed etc.. your not fighting back againt the man, man, and thus you become just a loser trying to escape from reality.
edit on 22-8-2012 by therovers because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by BlindBastards

Exactly, it's a battle that will never be won. Unfortunatly too many people profit from unwinable wars. Look at "The War on Terrorism". That also is an unwinable war and look at all the money "they" are making.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by ragsntatters

If not smoking makes you a sensible person..then teach kids to be sensible and responsible for themselves. Being told what to do - whether you obey or not, doesn't make you either.

People need to educate their kids. I actually think it's something we've begun to see some success with. It's a lot trendier amondg kids nowadays not to smoke than it was when I was a lad. People used to think smoking looked cool, now kids mostly want to look good - vanity has some benefits I suppose...they all wanna be like their clean-cut celebrity idols, etc. There are far more anti-smoking campaigns, more support and options for people who want to quit and I think a lot more stigma attached to being a smoker nowadays. It's up to the individuals, kids and adults - to make their own decisions be they sensible or otherwise. Kids need guidance notaimed in a particular direction by an overpowering hand.

Personally, I think it's time we started to educate kids more on the effects and dangers of alcohol abuse, there's not enough of that. Alcohol abuse is getting worse among young people...kids think the best nights of their lives are the ones they barely remember. I consider myself quite a sensible adult - smoking was a habit I picked up when I was a lad of about 14, back then it was kinda bada$$ and cool. I still smoke, very rarely drink, when I do it's very little and never on a "school" night. I know many people who will happily go and drink until the wee small hours without a care, going into work the following morning either half drunk or ratty and hungover. I'd rather have someone blow smoke in my face...

The sad truth is, most things people do for leisure can to some extent be harmful...climbing mountains, riding a bike, parachuting from planes, smoking, drinking and even sniffing coc aine. We can't even eat most foods but there are consequences. Again it comes back to responsibility and sensibility...kids need to know and understand the reality of consequences, they need to be armed with the mental capabilities to make rational, sensible decisions for themselves. If they need to be told what to do to make them sensible - they ain't sensible! They're sensible in the same way sheep are being "sensible" when a dog rounds them up and chases them into an enclosure.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by samerulesapply

Good points, it seems that to an extent the cigaratte companies are taking a hit, that the big 'smoking causes cancer' labels on the boxes is finally getting through. Modern day vanity seems to be the new defining thing among youths, all attempting to look like whatever respective role model they have, which explains the dramatic rise in bulimia/anorexia in girls specifically. Mass alcohol consumption is the new mature thing to do, which is a hell of a lot safer than smoking in my opinion. At the end of the day it comes down to the education at home through your parents/relatives/carers, not the education through the mass consumerism society
edit on 22-8-2012 by therovers because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   
In the UK junk food consumption costs more to the NHS than smokes and alcohol.... The cheeseburger should be banned before the ciggie is...

'mon the ciggies!!

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Instead of forbidding smoking - through a vertical witchhunt in some countries.

How about forbidding the tobaco companies to add poisons into the tobacoleaves, such as tar?

Tar is by far the worst "known" ingridient in tobaco and probably the mainreason behind lungcancer. It is the "creator" of around 4000 chemicals you inhale when smoking. Tar should be completly banned as additive - It's also used in the azo-colours we add to our food.

Nicotine is a nervepoison added to increase addiction and should be removed or reduced too.

You also get carbon monoxid (CO) from smoking. CO is a poisonous gas that binds to our red bloodcells, blocking the room for oxygen, this makes your body less efficient at getting oxygen and get rid of carbon, resulting in less stamina and power. Carbon monoxid can ultimatly kill you if you get it in large quantities. Theres multiple examples of suicides where people started their cars in a closed garage inhaling the exhaustion fumes.
The good news is that you replace approximatly 1% of your red bloodcells every day, so you'r blood get cleansed over time.

edit on 22-8-2012 by Mimir because: (no reason given)

new topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join