It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

a motion introduced to place a ban on cigarette sales to anyone born after the year 2000?

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 04:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Samuelis

Originally posted by boncho
reply to post by GAOTU789

Luckily this is only being proposed in Tazmania (as of now).

But... The anti smoking lobby has international arms and has made several strides in its agenda over the past 10 years. I doubt it will be so long before this comes to Western nations.

Tasmania is a state, in a western nation. haha. So I guess you could say it is already starting in western nations.

Star for you. You are correct and I ignorantly failed to check what it was a part of. I retract my original post.

The West is screwed.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 04:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by TechVampyre
I'm not a smoker.. But talk about taking away our freedoms.. Quite literally.. This is a ridiculous idea. And it is one more nail in the constitution.

Edit to add: Smoke em' while you got them people..

edit on 21-8-2012 by TechVampyre because: (no reason given)

Well, think of all the innocent second hand smokers who die because of your "freedom."

And the litter, pollution, and fires caused by your so called "freedom."

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 04:18 AM
link   
Explanation: Uhmmm?

From the article linked in the OP ...

Independent MP Ivan Dean said the move would stop young people from taking up the habit.
"This would mean that we would have a generation of people not exposed to tobacco products,'' he said.

So it's a pipe dream depending on what he explicitly means by 'exposed to'.

I expect the result will be that it goes up in smoke!

Prohibition doesn't work!

Education works better!

Personal Disclosure: I worked out what it cost me to smoke for the past 10yrs ... then I worked out what excise and taxes I paid on that and the result was that I have paid almost enough taxes on my habit to cover a full yrs current pension.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 04:22 AM
link   
I think people are too paranoid about the government coming to get them.

We need to accept this law and embrace it, It will save millions of lives and money. Smokers not only harm themselves but they also harm the people that are around them. Millions of innocent children inhale second hand smoke and develop cancers later in their lives.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 04:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by balon0

Originally posted by TechVampyre
I'm not a smoker.. But talk about taking away our freedoms.. Quite literally.. This is a ridiculous idea. And it is one more nail in the constitution.

Edit to add: Smoke em' while you got them people..

edit on 21-8-2012 by TechVampyre because: (no reason given)

Well, think of all the innocent second hand smokers who die because of your "freedom."

You state that like it is fact. It isn't.

And the litter, pollution, and fires caused by your so called "freedom."

The are already laws regarding litter, pollution and charges for those responsible for fires started by improperly disposed of cigarette butts.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 04:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by muse7
It will save millions of lives and money.

It will in fact cost money.

Smokers not only harm themselves but they also harm the people that are around them. Millions of innocent children inhale second hand smoke and develop cancers later in their lives.

There is no absolute science regarding this. "Millions of innocent people develop cancer in life with or without the presence of second hand smoke" is about the only absolute statement you can make.

Perhaps you have some insight on why the rates of lung cancer are increasing despite the number of smokers decreasing?
edit on 22-8-2012 by aaron2209 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 04:30 AM
link   
Probably an ex-smoker, they guy who brought the law up. Those are the worst.

I´m a smoker.
I do not smoke in house, I do not smoke when other people eat nearby and when I smoke, I try to not annoy the non-smokers by standing a little farer away. The funny thing is that I have the impression, those heavy anti smokers in my environment are most of the time the first to come up to me while standing away.

Then after a minute or two they begin to complain about the smoke or wave their hands before their face and make uggly faces. How hypocrite. I always tell them, well I went on distance but you are coming back.

Guess what I hear often when I explain them this? "It makes no difference if we´re standing here or there. Why don´t you stop smoking and hurting people around you".

-----------------------------------------
BTW, here in Germany its regulated with ALL drugs, you CAN consume them, even the worst one. But you are not allowed to OWN or share them. So handing someone a joint is totally okay for the one who gets it, the other one is screwed for both ownage and sharing.

BTW, think about sitting at a camp fire. Way more worse to smoke the thinned smoke of someone standing a few meters from you.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 04:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop
reply to post by GAOTU789

same here, but think of it this way.

in 20yrs, you'll be 32 and you will not be able to buy cig's.

its going to stamp out smoking!

The same way that they've 'stamped out' heroin?

Nicotine is said to be as if not more addictive than heroin.

Yet, govt programs exist that hand out free needles to heroin addicts.

Shouldn't we follow that lead and hand out cigarette lighters to smokers?
edit on 22-8-2012 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 04:42 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

As far as air pollution goes, I hope you don't own a vehicle, because you are actually polluting the air and making a realized impact on air quality which will affect my health and the health of my children. And I can't strafe 5 feet to dodge it.

Or use electricity!
Coal, nukes, even gas-fired power plants pollute the environment.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 04:43 AM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

They give out the free needles to protect them using other, maybe infected ones. What an ignorant statement!

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 04:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by verschickter

They give out the free needles to protect them using other, maybe infected ones. What an ignorant statement!

What an awesome plan! Let's give delivery systems to people stupid enough to get addicted to heroin!

Why not give them heroin too? Oh, that's right, we give them methadone instead.

How about we force them to kick their illegal habit? Instead of supporting it!

What's so silly about that idea?

ETA: The heroin is the problem, not the needles. People pierce their skin all the time, but who gets Hepatitis and HIV? People with tattoos? People that get Acupuncture?

Or is it IV drug abusers?

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 04:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
How about we force them to kick their illegal habit? Instead of supporting it!

What's so silly about that idea?

Hell yeah! Lock them all up and force people to do what they don't want to do!

Oh wait, how long has the war on drugs been going now and how successful has it been?

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 04:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
ETA: The heroin is the problem, not the needles. People pierce their skin all the time, but who gets Hepatitis and HIV? People with tattoos? People that get Acupuncture?

Or is it IV drug abusers?

Australian tourist gets HIV infection after Bali tattoo

Acupuncture spreads disease

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 05:09 AM
link   

Listen, if you stop supporting them with needles, they will simply use old ones.
You know that heroin can make you instantly addicted??
You don´t care about clean needles, you just want the shot.
So while giving them a chance to have clean needles will probably save their health a bit.
Stopping it will not result in decreasing usage numbers. Can´t you see that?

If you are addicted this bad, its not simply stopping it. They won´t stop because they won´t get clean needles anymore.

You´re ignorance and inhumanity shows pretty clear. What to expect with such a rude nick anyways...

edit on 22-8-2012 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 05:13 AM
link   

What an awesome plan! Let's give delivery systems to people stupid enough to get addicted to heroin!

Why not give them heroin too? Oh, that's right, we give them methadone instead.

In the UK they give heroin to addicts. It's more effective regulated by doctors than simply prescribing methadone, and the numbers back this. Not only that, but it has killed the black market because it doesn't pay to get your clients addicted as they can simply go for treatment after.

thecyn.com...

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 05:38 AM
link   
I heard somewhere that the aliens that want to eat us dont like smokers.. or meat eaters

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 05:54 AM
link   
or alcohol drinkers.
Sorry, couldn´t hold it back.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 05:57 AM
link   
post removed for serious violation of ATS Terms & Conditions

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Explanation: So how is this supposed to work?

Unless they get rid of all cigarettes before 2018-2020 ... they will have created a 2 class system based on age.

And when the 18yrs old can vote and are pissed off that they don't have the same access to luxuries ... you just watch the politicians tear up that legislation very quickly.

Because for them it's about VOTES not SMOKES!

Personal Disclosure: Here is a Hint: Don't piss off the constituency ok!

Tasmania has the highest rates of smoking in Australia.

Seems somebody forgot to look deeply at the long term demographics of this.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 06:11 AM
link   
I wonder how many that are all for this law are gun owners.
its another way of saying we thank for you
you cant thank for your self.

they are trying to say if your kid is fat your a bad parent...thats ok.
wow if this is true cigs are going to be another good investment.

wow.
maybe they will pass a law over people liveing to long ,its realy a pain driveing behind these old people.
lol
WOW

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join