It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

200 page book converted into DNA by researchers

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by 007Polytoks

Ermm.... What?

We're discussing encoding data in the form of DNA in this thread. The functions and capabilities of the human brain are about as far from the subject as you can get.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Next thing you know people will demand a socket be put in their skull so they can store their videos and music there...

edit:

Why stop there? Figure out a way to directly access it and you'd probably be able to inject whole college courses or other peoples life experiences...

/shudder
edit on 23-8-2012 by Terminal1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Terminal1

Meh...

Too much Gloom and Doom in that premise.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
reply to post by Terminal1

Meh...

Too much Gloom and Doom in that premise.

Not sure I understand what you mean.

I was kinda thinking along the lines of The Matrix and how Trinity learned how to fly that UH1H Huey. Then (crazy as my mind is) it leaped to the idea of my wife telling me about her day then just saying, "Here... take this mini SD card and see for yourself" and I shivered.

OT: Love your Ancient History threads. Watching a movie gleaned from the Age of the Spinx thread now.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by john_bmth
This isn't some half-man, half-book hybrid, evolution has nothing to do with this whatsoever. Evolution is concerned with biodiversity, nothing else.

?? I'm talking about mutations, I specifically said that the data would not evolve, as there is no selection. DNA mutates randomly, hence you would keep losing data.

If you want the DNA to last (rather than just degrade), you need to have it replicated, which introduces further errors (which is why we have evolution in biological organisms).

Originally posted by PragmaticBeliever
Even with some "mutations" the majority of the "data" would be avaliable, given the vast amount of samples....

The problem here is
1) Who or What put that data into our DNA?

2) Is there a way of decoding it?

3) Would it be "formatted" in some way or its some kind of raw data?

4) Is data at all?

5) Maybe that´s the "program" for making consciousness avaliable for a species with some potential, like us?

Maybe... just maybe...

If your suggesting that data was put into the genome of organisms billions of years ago, there would hardly be any data left. My current opinions on your problems (which seem to suggest that you think data was encoded in our genome for us to find, which is a bit off-topic in my opinion, considering we are talking about people encoding a book into DNA, rather than discovering a book in DNA):
1) God. But he probably didn't leave any data there for us to read, just data for us to be made.
2) We can sequence DNA...
3) The raw data is in the form of C, G, T, A sequence (which we have already sequenced for many genes)... So for us to make any sense out of it, it has to be formatted in some way.
4) I doubt that there is data apart from data that is used for making us (proteins+probably other instructions).
5) I don't understand this question at all.

Originally posted by Terminal1
Next thing you know people will demand a socket be put in their skull so they can store their videos and music there...

edit:

Why stop there? Figure out a way to directly access it and you'd probably be able to inject whole college courses or other peoples life experiences...

/shudder
edit on 23-8-2012 by Terminal1 because: (no reason given)

That might be in the very distant future, but you should remember that the book encoded in the DNA is only readable if screened in the lab. In nature it would be attempted to be converted into protein, which wouldn't work so it would just be removed from the system. In order to learn we would have to alter our neuronal circuits, which would be a lot more difficult, and completely different from encoding stuff into DNA. But thats probably where we are going, maybe in the next 1000 or so years?
edit on 23-8-2012 by salainen because: Added another reply (rather than double-posting)

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by FanarFanar

Not in the least, if you actually put it into context...

This is what I was responding to.

"That means a human has a storage potential of only 683.10MB. We're little better than an early 1990s HDD.... How special do you feel now?"

I was arguing that this small amount of data storage, is actually beneficial, but I guess it went right over your head. I truly fail to see how the connection wasn't 100% apparent...

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by grobi77

90% of DNA is JUNK... and what percentage of the universe is MATTER? sure it was only about 5-10% and the rest , dark energy/dark matter they dont know what it is... VERY MYSTERIOUS i feel we are closing in on something really big and special

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Inconceivable
That is truly amazing!!!

What if the encoded DNA could be sent along a beam of light? It could arrive to distant planets in a matter of days or years, and we would quickly be able to communicate with life in other Galaxies if they had similar technology!

The possibilities are endless. What if each and every one of us were "Books" that could be read, detailing our existence from the very beginning of our encoding, creation, etc. What if our own DNA could also be sent along these beams of light? Our memories, thoughts, and our very essence could be sent to far away worlds in a very short time period, then back to Earth just as quickly.

I bet that our Governments already have technology that we couldn't even begin to dream of, and I have to wonder where they got the help to find or create these things.

Very interesting i have to give you a star for that, it really got me thinking! Anything is possible

Peace

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by fossy

I just wanted to thank everybody for posting their opinions both pro and con.

And I would like to thank everyone for posting their comments as well, especially as you have taken my post and made it your own. Sorry to be a killjoy, but that is damn near plagiarism to me...

Please take a look at said article, and note date posted......

www.abovetopsecret.com...

FOR GODS SAKE GET OVER IT! YOU ONLY GOT 5 FLAGS AND 2 REPLIES AND LOOK AT THIS THREAD!
tab bit jelous are we!

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Speckle

sorry just replying whilst reading the thread from page one so someone might have already thought of this. What is that 90% JUNK DNA is like you say, free space.. And all our actions have to be recorded as with the multiple universes, every single possible outcome of a situation is recorded... bahhh i need sleep my brain isnt working, i know what i mean

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by DjembeJedi

what is spiritulists can read our DNA, they see our past and our future after all APPARENTLY... Could be right though, although they only get small pieces of information, but some real psychics have told me a lot of stuff about my past and my future then my future happened.. maybe she read my DNA when she held my hand

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   
this is just an idea not like it is possible or anything like that. But, i was thinking if they turned a book into binary code and then use that code to stored it into DNA. Wouldn't it be possible to reverse this process on "Junk DNA" to see if there is anything encoded in it? Again this is just a thought..

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   
They did this with synthethic DNA, it's impossible to store in to normal DNA for longer than a certain amount of time.

The OP probably should edit the text with the actual correct explaination.

Also 90% of human DNA isn't just junk as scientists are finding out.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   
I am sure that somewhere out there, some extraterrestrial beings have a DNA database on us Humans. It is inconceivable that we have come out the way we have without some planned genetic coding. I would not be surprised one bit if the Truth came out about the aliens having tabs like this on us.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Apleness
They did this with synthethic DNA, it's impossible to store in to normal DNA for longer than a certain amount of time.

The OP probably should edit the text with the actual correct explaination.

Also 90% of human DNA isn't just junk as scientists are finding out.

OK, so synthetic DNA can last for a long time, I didn't know it was any different from normal DNA. Thanks for explaining, although now I have to figure out what the difference is

Originally posted by cormag
this is just an idea not like it is possible or anything like that. But, i was thinking if they turned a book into binary code and then use that code to stored it into DNA. Wouldn't it be possible to reverse this process on "Junk DNA" to see if there is anything encoded in it? Again this is just a thought..

Once they get Binary all they have is C, G, A, T... How do you suppose we make sense of that? If God encoded something, what language would it be in? I doubt it would be any current language (definately not English). How would it be encoded? Why would it be there? How on earth did it survive billions of years of mutations? Clearly you would have to somehow disprove the theory of evolution, if you were to claim that there was something encoded in "junk" DNA. As far as I know, we already are aware that "junk" DNA is not junk, and if I remember correctly, we already know what some of it is doing.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Not So Fast!

Who knows. It may be the Encyclopedia Galactica
:

Originally posted by ChaoticOrder
it may be like, all the important information which helps us understand the world... things that we just seem to know when we are born and things we don't necessarily have to be taught by anyone else.

Originally posted by TheOneElectric
What would happen if we were to seriously look within and find philosophy, art, music, entertainment, science, spiritual practices, and so forth all encoded within our very DNA from some very distant paternal hand?

Originally posted by Shadow Herder
Contained within our DNA might contain millions of years of emotion and experiences felt throughout our bloodline forever taking new input and changing the DNA to support a newer version to handle what it has gone through in the past.

Originally posted by Conspiracy88
It's my personal belief that junk dna is our individual past and future stored.

From the link posted by Spruk:

It’s possible to store data in the DNA of living cells – though only for a short time. Source

Do you know why that is? It is because individual strands of DNA don't live very long. Their lifespan is limited by that of the living cells whose nuclei they occupy. The longevity of DNA is assured not by structural integrity but by replication – all those living copies. The trouble is, when DNA replicates during cell division, errors creep in. Biologists call them mutations.

In living organisms, natural selection weeds out most of the errors. But information that is not organically expressed is invisible to natural selection. In a few generations of cell division by mitosis, your Encyclopaedia Galactica would be thoroughly scrambled. And just forget about meiosis.

DNA may last a long time unaltered when it is trapped in amber, but in living organisms it is subject to change.

Originally posted by salainen
I am sure someone has already addressed this, but how is this a viable storage medium? Mutations occur in DNA all the time...

Star for you. I'm amazed that seven pages of discussion went by without this ever being brought up.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Astyanax
Do you know why that is? It is because individual strands of DNA don't live very long. Their lifespan is limited by that of the living cells whose nuclei they occupy. The longevity of DNA is assured not by structural integrity but by replication – all those living copies. The trouble is, when DNA replicates during cell division, errors creep in. Biologists call them mutations.

I don't think people over looked it as a fact. But just how relevant is it? I mean mutations do crop up from time to time. Yet you're not sitting their with 15 fingers and three eyes are you? [ I honestly don't know if you are] This is also why I questioned what has been described as "Junk DNA" yes, it replicates itself and we pass these along as we procreate.

Since we don't know all there is to know yet. How is the possibility of a genetically encoded message not feasible? You and a few others tell us whats possibly wrong with the idea yet haven't clearly stated how it's impossible. The Genetic code wouldn't be just be left in some petri dish.

You yourself have billions of lines of codes.
Most of it has been inactive and dormant for countless generations
edit on 26-8-2012 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

No, just the same old complement of fingers and eyeballs here, unfortunately.

How is the possibility of a genetically encoded message not feasible? You and a few others tell us whats possibly wrong with the idea yet haven't clearly stated how it's impossible. The Genetic code wouldn't be just be left in some petri dish.

I explained it in my previous post, though perhaps I used too many technical terms. I'll try to avoid them this time.

The reason I'm not sitting here with three eyes and fifteen fingers is because natural selection (our old friend 'survival of the fittest') weeds out copying errors, that is to say, harmful mutations, from the DNA that actually codes for any feature or combination of features in a living organism. Mutants are selected out. Only rarely does a mutation slip through this net – and that's usually because it is a helpful one. This winnowing process is the reason why evolution takes place slowly.

However, if non-biological information were stored in living DNA, just sitting there, not making fingers or eyes or liver cells or anything else, natural selection can't act upon it to limit mutations. Every time the cell divides, more errors will creep in. Over several generations (of cells, not organisms), this would completely destroy the integrity of the information originally encoded. This is what I meant when I said that non-coding DNA is invisible to natural selection.

Sexual reproduction of the organism, which involves random mixing of genetic information, would be even worse. The encyclopaedia, or whatever it is, would not survive from one human generation to the next.

edit on 26/8/12 by Astyanax because: of mutants!

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Astyanax

OK, so I was sort of right after all, thought I must have missed something important (such as synthetic DNA being somehow different from normal DNA). Everyone else seemed to think that DNA is static.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   

A.) If there are extra terrestrials could this mean we aren't the first species to think of this?

B.) Maybe we should start some heavy in-depth research into what the hell exactly is all that junk DNA is that we've been carrying around all this time?

What I have to say sort of goes along with both of the questions in one.

IF more advanced life forms are real and do exist then they are likely to know all of what he know and more. This means they know all about DNA and it's potential to carry on data for millions of years and even ways to hide it in DNA. Maybe everything we know and everything they know is stored in our DNA but deep down to where only some can reach it.

After all, everything it is said that the sphinx/pyramid complex, the Mayan calendar system, the Zodiac and the Tarot, were all time capsule messages to future generations about the last time this event hit Earth with catastrophic consequences, approximately 13,000 years ago. Now it's almost time for the galactic alignment, which is just around the corner. We could know what all of this is, who created us, why we are here, and how to save ourselves from the Sun's high solar flare activity if possible.

I guess that was quite a bit "out there" but it's just a thought for now. Thanks for reading.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join