It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

200 page book converted into DNA by researchers

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Spotless
reply to post by McGinty

Thing is, your DNA is probably not written in binary. Or else you'd be a robot.

Beep boop ?

The body suit is AI and we enter in. This is already avatar except we're magnetized somehow and encapsled in..

www.ucg.org...

As scientists began to decode the human DNA molecule, they found something quite unexpected—an exquisite 'language' composed of some 3 billion genetic letters. "One of the most extraordinary discoveries of the twentieth century," says Dr. Stephen Meyer, director of the Center for Science and Culture at the Discovery Institute in Seattle, Wash., "was that DNA actually stores information—the detailed instructions for assembling proteins—in the form of a four-character digital code" (quoted by Lee Strobel, The Case for a Creator, 2004, p. 224).

It is hard to fathom, but the amount of information in human DNA is roughly equivalent to 12 sets of The Encyclopaedia Britannica— an incredible 384 volumes" worth of detailed information that would fill 48 feet of library shelves!

Yet in their actual size—which is only two millionths of a millimeter thick—a teaspoon of DNA, according to molecular biologist Michael Denton, could contain all the information needed to build the proteins for all the species of organisms that have ever lived on the earth, and "there would still be enough room left for all the information in every book ever written" ( Evolution: A Theory in Crisis , 1996, p. 334).

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by TheOneElectric

I was thinking about this as well, especially with abductees.
And personally think those with down syndrome hold the key (DNA) to a Utopian society.
What if they are so in touch with themselves that they can actually learn from the information they are carrying while inside the womb.

Love and harmony
Whateva

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 07:57 AM
link   
That is truly amazing!!!

What if the encoded DNA could be sent along a beam of light? It could arrive to distant planets in a matter of days or years, and we would quickly be able to communicate with life in other Galaxies if they had similar technology!

The possibilities are endless. What if each and every one of us were "Books" that could be read, detailing our existence from the very beginning of our encoding, creation, etc. What if our own DNA could also be sent along these beams of light? Our memories, thoughts, and our very essence could be sent to far away worlds in a very short time period, then back to Earth just as quickly.

I bet that our Governments already have technology that we couldn't even begin to dream of, and I have to wonder where they got the help to find or create these things.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 07:59 AM
link   
here at 31 min they start to talk about "what if the 'junk' in our dna was a message sent to us by ancient aliens"

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by leolady
reply to post by Allegorical

Math is the Universal Launguage

Good point, Jim Penniston (Rendlesham Forest) claimed he received 0 and 1's in his mind when he was next to the craft that landed.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   
The only reason I liked the Ancient Alien theory is because it proposes things like this.

To an extent, we could all just be an experiment for a scientist.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   
ahm, very interesting, if considering all above comments, all of our DNA could be converted back into a book and tell our future ? ..... and original unedited hebrew bible would be interesting to see if converted into DNA. good find

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

can u please give some info on the process they used to store the infointo the DNA

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Genetics are our future and our past.

The more I look into ancient history and question the established norms, including the Bible, the more I am led to believe that humanity has been greatly 'cut-off' from our ancestral genetic birthright. Every day genetic research yields more and more amazing insights into what we may truly be capable of.

Sadly, however, institutions such as the church seek to curb, if not outright stop, genetic testing, claiming that those who research it are 'playing God'. Isn't telling other people how to live their lives playing God as well???

I still think that deja vu is simply our genetic coding reminding us of a powerful memory passed on to us from an ancestor.

The future will be bright indeed, if we choose to reach for it without fear.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by geolancer
ahm, very interesting, if considering all above comments, all of our DNA could be converted back into a book and tell our future ? ..... and original unedited hebrew bible would be interesting to see if converted into DNA. good find

No, any more than the magnetic field storing data in your hard disk can tell the future. That is all this is, a clever storage method, nothing more.

Many posters in this thread appear to not have bothered reading the article:

Scientists from Harvard University wanted to prove that DNA, the genetic template substance, can be a viable storage solution. They took a 200+ page book that totalled close to 53000 words.

Nothing about god. Nothing about creationism. Nothing about new age woo hoo. It is a clever technological feat, that is all.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Pretty amazing advance..will be interesting to see what time of 'drive' would be required to read/write this type of a storage medium...

BioHazzard! Do Not Open Case...Contents may spill out

Along the more esoteric ideas....this makes me wonder why the elite blood lines have always been so concerned about 'keeping it in the family'.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Great find and post....I remember taking a genetics class in college and loved it...We once talked about how the majority of DNA is just kind of there doing nothing...I am also a huge alien fan and have always wondered if they had a part in our creation...Would fascinating to see something hidden in our DNA though its a long shot! Good find again.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   
This is freaky. What if they took that book that was encoded into DNA and made a test tube baby with it? Would the living product of that inanimate book resemble the truth? Would the being have memory of the book's contents?

Somewhere a government just got a neat idea that would require trillions of dollars to research. The fact that this news has reached the public eye, however, tells me that the government already knows about this and may already be using this conversion technology, turning DNA of people into little recording devices, and downloading and uploading data from and to people all the time. I dare say we do this naturally daily as well, and this is shown in generational genetic memory.

I had thought that there was one wikileaks document that got out, with a cubic encryption, nobody could figure it out, military said there is no key, but where the decryption key was DNA from two people in high security in the military industrial complex. The programmer of such computer encryption knew this but only he knew; the contents of said encrypted file are about as inconsequential as the very post I'm writing now.

How profound, as the DNA of two security being the parent codes for this child of encrypted information. It's a formula as old as DNA itself. As beings are randomized products of two DNA chains, and historically our DNA, our biological inheritance, which is supposed to be secure as a lock, and to tamper with that would unlock our very beings from the acidic prison of our bodies, maybe even rob others of our ancestral gifts and identities.

So what happens when the book is turned into DNA and it is spliced into GMO foods? Will we be eating apples spliced with Homer's Odyssey anytime soon?

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Loving this thread, this is why I came to Above Top Secret.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by thetiler

OOH your right... I remember him talking about that too!

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Spotless
reply to post by McGinty

Thing is, your DNA is probably not written in binary. Or else you'd be a robot.

Beep boop ?

So that's what the wife meant when she said i was too mechanical in bed

edit on 22-8-2012 by McGinty because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Here is another link to an article about DNA storage...

www.computerworld.com...

"Harvard researchers have been able to use sequencing technology to store 70 billion copies of a yet-unpublished book in DNA binary code".

---------

This is totally fascinating to me... A few questions though:

IF you were to store a book or lets say an encyclopedia or maybe a language which I don't speak in my DNA via maybe a stem sell injection (totally guessing on this)... when I wake up would I have that information available to me? Would my brain be able to access the info and use it or would it be stored and locked up in my DNA? IF we are able to recover stored info and use it then it opens a whole new world. You could give anyone any information desired, schooling would become a thing of the past, job trainig would dissapear, etc etc.. you would simply have the info stored in your DNA. Also for cloning, you could transfer the DNA info to the clone and have instantanioulsy have the new "person/clone" have all the info of the original person.

Can someone fill me in on this and tell me if its possible or am I way off base with my assumptions?

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   

I have to say Slayer, although we disagree on a few things, you do post some of the most interesting threads on here, where you get the time I will never know but total respect.

Now, Who here with an open mind can possibly imagine....

A.) If there are Extra Terrestrials could this mean we aren't the first species to think of this?

And

B.) Maybe we should start some heavy in-depth research into what the hell exactly is all that Junk DNA is that we've been carrying around all this time? Who knows. It may be the Encyclopedia Galactica

A.) I think it would be safe to presume that any species more developed than us would of come across this, it would seem natural for any species that developed technology would develop a deep understanding of their own and any sub species physiology. I can hardly imagine them not doing.

B.) I think the research would be a compelling endeavour for many reasons but having worked in the IT field for 30 years I can see problems trying to discover anything that was there. How would a biologist decode alien computer code? Everything would be different about it, their thought structure and logic will work completely differently to ours, mathematics is the same everywhere, 1 + 1 will always equal 2, well in this dimension at least so that could be a starting point, but even if we decoded it, how could we understand their language? We can't even communicate with the animals on our planets, at best a little sign language with chimps, but give a chimp Shakespeare and see how much they understand. if it was reduced to binary code which it would have to for us to make any sense of it all, but then reconstructing that to usable code, I don't really know. would the code be 8bit? 64 bit? Quantum? What ever comes after quantum? Is it text, audio, visual? It could even be their tech plugs straight into the mind

It does blow the mind to think about it, would be a great plot to a Sci Fi movie as well

Great post, keep it up Slayer, you make it interesting

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by leolady

Originally posted by SLAYER69

200 page book converted into DNA by researchers

Scientists from Harvard University wanted to prove that DNA, the genetic template substance, can be a viable storage solution. They took a 200+ page book that totalled close to 53000 words. The book also had 11 images and a short _javascript code added to its contents.

The scope of Harvard's research was to see if DNA molecules ca be used to store a large amount of data. DNA can last for thousands of years as opposed to the average harddrive lifespan which is close to 5 years of active use. If DNA is trapped in amber then it can last for million of years.

In order to convert the digital version of the book to DNA the following process was followed:

- Researchers first took the binary code of the book.

- The resulting binary string was analysed bit by bit. A nucleobase was assigned for every bit value.

- The 5.27 million base long DNA strand was synthesized by analysing 96 bases at a time

- The synthesized DNA now contains the entire book. Its weight is one million time less than the weight of a grain of salt.

Ok, here we go....

I read this and just had to post it here for everybody to comment on. So here we have some researchers storing information in DNA. They make the argument how if store properly it can last much longer than anything we have today.

Now, Who here with an open mind can possibly imagine....

A.) If there are Extra Terrestrials could this mean we aren't the first species to think of this?

And

B.) Maybe we should start some heavy in-depth research into what the hell exactly is all that Junk DNA is that we've been carrying around all this time?

Who knows. It may be the Encyclopedia Galactica

Thoughts?
edit on 21-8-2012 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

If DNA is trapped in amber then it can last for million of years.:

That brings to my mind the crystal skulls and how some have theorized that information might be trapped inside of them?
edit on 21-8-2012 by leolady because: (no reason given)

Are you talking about DNA trapped in the crystal? Because I'm sure there isnt any.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   
According to Bruce Lipton, a well known stem cell biologist, your DNA likely changes through your lifetime, and the experiences you partake in, shape your DNA.

"Individuals capable of generating high ratios of heart coherence were able to alter DNA conformation according to their intention. … Control group participants showed low ratios of heart coherence and were unable to intentionally alter the conformation of DNA."

You can change your DNA:

If this is in fact true, maybe our DNA is a storehouse of our experiences, utilized to pass knowledge down to future generations about our experiences. Kind of like a data log, that is hereditary in its information sharing. There is studies that indicate a mother who experiences trauma during pregnancy, will create certain "stress chemicals", that will effect the way her baby functions when it is born. This Israeli study even shows that stress at a young age, can effect future generations.

Stress is hereditary:

Bearing this in mind, it would make sense that DNA is an evolutionary database for developing our bodies/minds towards the current situation that our species is facing. If there is a ice-age, the children will likely be born with characteristics that will enable them to survive easier, due to the genetic data that is being passed on. They will be born with the ability to perfect lots of skills that their parent's had to gain through great hardships, thereby increasing our chances of surviving certain epidemics/disasters etc...

Bio-mechanical machines, with polymorphous, self replicating, "learning", program code. Certainly when one looks at this from the perspective of computers, it starts to be apparent that we are repeating a process which started long before we were "created". As Carl Sagan once said "We are a way for the Universe to know itself".

Even program code gets bored

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join