It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Americans Having Fewer Babies: Economists Bummed We're Buying Fewer Huggies. Seriously?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Really!? Isn't the issue here how SAD it is that Americans are afraid to reproduce? Because of the recession? Because the world is such a miserable place that people don't want to bring babies into the world?

But the nation's economists are whining that this reduction in population is causing people to spend less money out there in the marketplace-----on Huggies diapers and child care and pregnancy kits. As if "spending" and "spending" and "spending" is the main ****** worry in the world. Whine...."No one is buying Huggies anymore!"

“The fact we are seeing fewer births is something of a drag on consumer spending. To the extent this turns out to be a persistent trend, it is something to be worried about. To the degree that family formation is being suppressed, we should be concerned,” said Neal Soss, chief economist at Credit Suisse in New York. “That holds back housing. It holds back all the spending associated with housing. Family formation is a very important motivator of economic growth.”

Well, guess what, Mr. Neal Soss. We're sorry we're not out there buying diapers and houses. Right now we're worried about keeping our jobs, saving our homes from being repossesed, and trying not to suffer from financial ruin. The truth is, fewer people are having sex because they're depressed. Couples are also saying they don't want to have babies because they prefer to save for retirement one day.

So typical. Instead of focusing on the reasons that we don't feel like reproducing, the guys in high places are worried about how this will effect the diaper industry, and the condom industry, and the pregnancy test industry.

Sigh.......

How about you ATS?

Postponing reproduction? Having fewer kids?

Source: www.bloomberg.com...

edit on 21-8-2012 by MRuss because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   
You have to look at the bright side with all the modern medical improvements we are buying more Depends adult diapers.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Investors want their profit margin as high as they can get it. Don't be surprised if Americans don't start popping out more babies then people will start losing their jobs so the companies can keep their profits up.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by MRuss

Wasn't depopulation the goal?
Why are they bitching about the natural effect of achieving their goal?

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 09:22 PM
link   
I switched to cloth diapers for my last 2 as a middle finger to huggies

Huggies are good diapers if you can afford them... but the price is outrageous! 5 yes ago I got the big box for $20. I saw the other day they are $28!

And Pampers used to be a nice brand, but about 3 yes ago they changed something, and they don't hold much.

Me thinks people are just choosing cheaper brands, that are just as good and not just a name.

I look at my 5 kids and I'm scared of the future. If something ever happened to me or the man, the other would be up a creek without a paddle.

I don't think we will ever be able to retire.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Depends,diapers for adults are up.

It's because we have to take care of all the old people now.
The baby boomers are aging and taken up all the resources.
(btw,I'm a baby boomer,one of the last ones)

geography.about.com...
edit on 21-8-2012 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   
I'm wondering if those who are having children are using less expensive ways to care for their children.
I'm sure some women are choosing breastfeeding, not only because it's good for baby and mom health, but also because it's so much cheaper than formula.
I'm sure some families are either using cloth diapers or potty training their child early so they can also save money. For any doubters, it is possible to potty train a baby under a year old. I did it using techniques that parents have been using since the dawn of time. Even people in countries who lack water or value water as a drinking resource do it today.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   
I predict, and I have never made a prediction on ATS, that this spring we will see a large increase in babies being born.

What saddens me is that most of the spring births will be born to unwed mothers who have no idea who is the baby daddy.

Having seven teenaged grandchildren I meet many other young people and am well up on what is popular right now.

There is no shame in the game of sex at any age these days.

And being with child seems to be an honor among teens.

Is this a curse or a blessing?

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Another thing, less spending on disposable diapers and other baby resources, will hopefully lead to a cleaner environment. People need to realize money isn't everything and our purpose on Earth is not to spend, spend, spend. Hopefully those who are having babies say screw the economy, and develop more sustainable (and less expensive) ways of raising their children.
edit on 21-8-2012 by collietta because: grammar

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Mark my words, there are still thousands of births everyday. No reason for the industry to panic. Maybe less demand will lead to lower prices. Its about time, though I'm not American, its about $21 for a 2 pack of First Response here.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by dizziedame
I predict, and I have never made a prediction on ATS, that this spring we will see a large increase in babies being born.

What saddens me is that most of the spring births will be born to unwed mothers who have no idea who is the baby daddy.

Having seven teenaged grandchildren I meet many other young people and am well up on what is popular right now.

There is no shame in the game of sex at any age these days.

And being with child seems to be an honor among teens.

Is this a curse or a blessing?

I would think the baby boom would be about 9 months after 12/21/12.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by MRuss

You CANNOT have a Keynesian economy with slow birth rates!

We are going to have to import more citizens in order to facilitate the appearance of continued economic growth.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Its not cool to have babies anymore, staying with one partner is lame, and dogs are cheaper plus dog parks are a great place to hook up.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
reply to post by MRuss

You CANNOT have a Keynesian economy with slow birth rates!

We are going to have to import more citizens in order to facilitate the appearance of continued economic growth.

Maybe it's a silent protest by the unaware ,unaware they are participating in a silent protest,but actually responding to they're economic situation.
We need more babies to support me when I get old!
I know what they need......

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by MRuss

This is why i'm not having kids. No way am I bringing children into this world to suffer. Unless I see some huge improvement. I think it's kind of selfish actually, having kids to give your life purpose or so you won't die alone. No, I won't have kids, i'd rather die alone knowing that I brought nobody into this world to suffer.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 07:08 AM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

Great comment!

You're so right.....Everyone will wait and see what happens after doomsday..
edit on 22-8-2012 by MRuss because: (no reason given)

top topics

join