It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Not enough Earth, How much time do we have?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Recently i find myself thinking of the finite nature of our planet and the rate of exploitation of its natural resources. In my opinion the future of our planet is a bleak and barren one.

Since human kind fashioned a pointy stick into a weapon, their has been conflict over the resources our planet provides and once we controlled these resources we have exponentially increased our potential to harvest them.

In turn we have created an industrial monster whose appetite for raw materials is insatiable.

Easter Island, a Polynesian island in the southeastern Pacific ocean that was once the home the Moai, who are believed to be the victim of over exploitation.

Do we face the same fate?

How will it even take that long?

Scarcity has been a major justification of war. The planets nations constantly butt heads over our planets limited resources, at what point do we go to war for the remaining natural resources we cant live without?

Water, oil, minerals and land are but a few examples of the causes of historical clashes, and possibly the reason for future ones. Unless their is some major shift in the current economic/sociological paradigm, i believe we will once again be at each others throats over the resources we take for granted every day, not just the ones big business are currently scrounging for, but ones inherent to our survival.

I am inclined to believe that this site and every conspiracy being discussed is in some way related to this scarcity of resources. All the suffering, death, scientific advancement, politics, and spirituality can be directly or indirectly related to our need for raw materials.

You can find examples of how human kinds attempts at controlling natural resources have influenced the aforementioned issues.

Is it possible we can create some kind of equilibrium with our planet? Can our planet sustain the growth of the human population? When can our planet no longer sustain us?

I ask these questions because i do not have the answers. I count myself amount those directly adding in the exploitation of our planet. I participate and benefit from capitalism, but i find myself thinking....When will someone like me, not have a product to sell because their is nothing left.

Again, i am not stating any this of fact or having any scientific evidence. I am just a person, sitting in a mass manufactured computer chain, typing away on a electronic device that required the precious minerals from a far off land to produce, drinking clean water, wondering when will someone not have these luxuries.

In fact many people do not have these luxuries! and again i find myself dwelling on the consequences of over exploitation and not only the effects it is having on our planet, but on the human species as well.

edit on 21-8-2012 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-8-2012 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Well the root cause is overpopulation.

The first thing to do is NOT find a cure for cancer, aids, or any other highly deadly diseases.

If we did, well there would probably be ALOT more people than we do now.

Secondly the use of life supporting drugs keeping people alive past their prime. Old people contribute nearly none of the working force and require us to keep them alive. Taking resources that can be used for a more useful cause.

This is my opinion on the topic like it or hate it you choose but its the truth.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   
It saddens me to see us wasting our resources...WE Can Adapt and Overcome!!! I have faith and do not believe in falling into the trap of thinking that we would use up our resources if we didn't control our population by making money off killing the popluation slowly.

I believe if we used our heads instead of giving into greed we could solve problems for the better rather than make the money at no matter the consequences and/or cost and destruction.

Men rule the world and suck at it....what can i say...LOL!

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by relocator

So I guess a world crammed like sardines is appealing to you then. Because that's what your rooting for. Population control should be enforced for NATURALLY dying people. We are an animal species, and what happens to a species when they overpopulate? They use up their resources and naturally die off. Creating a healthy balance again.

Why do you think we have hunting season?

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Remember one thing in this world (on this Earth)...

Capitalism is doomed for failure because the nature of its "progress" relies on exploitation.
So, as you noted, if we have nothing left to exploit...what is there to capitalize on?

Very thought provoking entry.

Makes you wonder why all this "invention" is actually necessary...
Or is it just taking our focus away from why we are really here?

Or are we just programmed to make more money for the "higher ups"?
Endlessly working away and using up natural resources for their benefit/gain?
Not really ours?

When did we, the "serfs", decide what is important....or did we ever?
Or were we "told" what was important, not really considering our own ideas?

Ahh...the conspiracies abound.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by havok

Thanks for the reply.

The more i think about, like you have suggested, the more of current political, sociological and scientific events i can link to our inherent need to control natural resources.

I wonder if we could link some of the first conspiracies to our lust for resources or monetary gain.

Religion, to gain wealth through the faith of the masses

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   
This next video show ancient man meeting modern man. Which one do you think is more advanced?

They are both modern men. The white man comes from a backwards world of death, disease and destruction. When and if the world renews itself it is these people that will survive, mind you they will tell stories of white aliens visiting them.
edit on 21-8-2012 by Shadow Herder because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

It's a complete power grab.
The entire system today seems based upon just that.

Thousands of years ago, people fought over land...that land contained all they needed.
Today we fight over who can use what technology and why.
With technology comes the ability to further exploit the land, especially from beneath.

But...in retrospect...we are getting used to this lavish lifestyle.
It is extremely lavish, especially compared to days long ago.
People are becoming more complacent and lazy.
With complacency comes ignorance.
And people don't want to think they are doing anything wrong.
So they won't admit there is a problem brewing.
Or that they don't need all this "stuff".

Just my opinion, is all.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Like I said don't fall into the trap of thinking we can't adapt and overcome...

We are not animals....Big difference.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Yes, humans are a little overpopulated, If the population was halved it would be better. The main reason for the earths destruction comes from greed, people wanting things they do not really need to excess, and the poisoning of the earth by concentrating chemicals and waste products. At the present rate I feel that the earth will lose it's ability to provide for us by 2030. The point of no return will be shortly with a perpetual cycle starting within a few years. It is not just the CO2 that is the problem but the CO2 from so many jets high in the atmosphere is not good.

I feel that Things are going to start to get uncontrollably bad within five years or less. It will not directly effect everyone but the changes that will be occurring will effect everyone within their respective countries. I doubt if any changes can be implemented in time to change anything, the destruction of our ecosystem is increasing with every healthy tree lost. Selective cutting based on age and overpopulation of trees is good for the forest if done right but that is not what is going on. The right way is not cost effective.

Another problem is renewable energy. The land cannot keep putting out without being replennished. Cutting of trees for pellets or growing corn for fuel is going to burn out all the agricultural soils by removing all the minerals from the soils. It took thousands of years minimum to build up some of these soils, we destroy them in twenty years. Food security, not wasting of the land for fuel, should be our main concern.
edit on 21-8-2012 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Haha it is a FACT that we are a species of animal.

What were you taught in school?

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by TheCaucasianAmerican

Maybe studying the differences will help you understand how to expand your mind...

1. Animals may cover a lot of species whereas Humans belong to Homo Sapiens.
2. Most animals walk on all four legs on crawl whereas Humans are Bipeds.
3. Animals tend to be either herbivorous or carnivorous and stick to their diets whereas the Humans are omnivorous.
4. Animals are unable to communicate like Humans do.
5. Animals are endangered due to the Human influence on their environment.
6. Whereas Animals simply survive in their environment, Humans have developed technology & science to change their environment.

You Asked...

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheCaucasianAmerican

Haha it is a FACT that we are a species of animal.

What were you taught in school?
Which brings us at last to the moment of truth, wherein the fundamental flaw is ultimately expressed, and the Anomaly revealed as both beginning... and end.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by relocator
Like I said don't fall into the trap of thinking we can't adapt and overcome...

We are not animals....Big difference.

how are we not animals?

I think this delusion of being superior to our fellow creatures in some way and that the Earth is here for us to use as we please is what's got us into this mess in the first place!

edit on 21/8/2012 by Psychoparrot because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheCaucasianAmerican

Secondly the use of life supporting drugs keeping people alive past their prime. Old people contribute nearly none of the working force and require us to keep them alive. Taking resources that can be used for a more useful cause.

This is my opinion on the topic like it or hate it you choose but its the truth.

Those "Old People" as you call them, worked their tails off and should be taken care of!

They sir, WERE the working FORCE! Those hard earned dollars (which they actually worked for) have allowed the (NOT WORKING) generation to take a free ride on their dime! Yes! It is their dime!

Those dimes should be used and available to take care of what they put into this country for so many years!

The comment you made "Taking resources that can be used for a more useful cause". Excuse me! Useful for who and what?

Shame on you!

BTW, Your opinion, I hate it and it is not the truth.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by relocator
reply to post by TheCaucasianAmerican

Maybe studying the differences will help you understand how to expand your mind...

1. Animals may cover a lot of species whereas Humans belong to Homo Sapiens.
2. Most animals walk on all four legs on crawl whereas Humans are Bipeds.
3. Animals tend to be either herbivorous or carnivorous and stick to their diets whereas the Humans are omnivorous.
4. Animals are unable to communicate like Humans do.
5. Animals are endangered due to the Human influence on their environment.
6. Whereas Animals simply survive in their environment, Humans have developed technology & science to change their environment.

You Asked...

Ok then what are we? If were not an "animal"

1. Homo Sapien is our genus and species. Of course no other animal has that scientific name.

2. Yea "most" species. So your saying a chicken or a T- Rex is not an animal anymore?

3. There are many omnivores. pigs, badgers, bears, coatis, hedgehogs, opossums, skunks, sloths, squirrels, raccoons, chipmunks, mice,and rats to name a few.

3. How do you know that? Do you speak to animals? Do you know what they think? Dolphins have more complex communications than we do.

4. Technology and exploitation have ruined environments. A human alone could not by foraging for food.

5. Beavers use technology to change their environment.

Oh but of course everything on the internet is true.

I don't even get why i have to explain this stuff. I learned it in 3rd grade.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by riverwild

As for being on topic to the op. I said that because yes they give money to people in return for goods or services.

But are they doing any service back? Species were meant to be born, reproduce their part of the gene pool, and die in terms of scientific thinking.

You should be happy that we live as long as we do. We could be a salmon that once it reproduces dies. Would that be more acceptable to you.

Im respecting your opinion by not saying your wrong. So please respect my opinions.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Well at 58 it won't be long before The knackers yard then!

But I do feel we have made the mistake of prolonging life at all costs and made death something fearful rather than the fact of life that it is.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Psychoparrot
Well at 58 it won't be long before The knackers yard then!

But I do feel we have made the mistake of prolonging life at all costs and made death something fearful rather than the fact of life that it is.

Im not trying to offend with my posts. 58 is still young.

But yes we all have to die sometime and all those "dimes" we save we cannot take with us.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

I will reply to this with another post that I wrote a while back regarding much similar thought.

Buckminster Fuller should be Required reading. His book Critical PATH should be given to all ''leaders'' and made into a blueprint for our survival and growth.

anyway,, here is my post about him in this regards,, great thread by the way,, will return to pick back up on this thought.
Bucky Bucky he's our Man!!!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join