It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mars rover: Wind sensor damaged on Nasa's Curiosity

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Nasa has reported its first setback in the Curiosity rover mission to Mars.

A sensor on the robot's weather station that takes wind readings has sustained damage.

The mission team stresses this is not a major problem and will merely degrade some measurements - not prevent them.

It is not certain how the damage occurred but engineers suspect surface stones thrown up during Curiosity's rocket-powered landing may have struck sensor circuits and broken the wiring.

www.bbc.co.uk...

Mmm? I hope this does not set them back too much. I wonder if it would hinder it's ability to forecast bad weather? Something was bound to happen like this, I'm just glad after all this rover has been through it's just a small thing like this!

Mod Note: External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.
edit on Fri Aug 24 2012 by Jbird because: added ex tags

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   
I have a feeling this will not be much of a setback at all

"We will have to be more clever about using the remaining wind sensor to get wind speed and direction."

They've got another wind sensor, and they just need to be clever... seems something they are pretty good at.

NASA update

The good news is that the steering seems to be working.

Drive test tomorrow.

"Late tonight, we plan to send Curiosity the commands for doing our first drive tomorrow," said Curiosity Mission Manager Michael Watkins of JPL.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Zarniwoop

It's a beautiful thing!

Can't wait for Rover to go fetch!

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Hopefully they will be able to work around the problem (I mean, still get the science don that they want to do).

At least the laser-beam rock zapper is working...Pew! pew! pew!
:
First Laser-Zapped Rock on Mars

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

..Pew! pew! pew!

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 02:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Soylent Green Is People

At least the laser-beam rock zapper is working...Pew! pew! pew!
:
First Laser-Zapped Rock on Mars

Mars deserves to be zapped quite soundly for all the zapping it's done to our probes in the past.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Well, crap.
But at least they had some redundancy so hopefully not all is lost.
I can't wait for them to send her exploring-a-go-go.

With the degree of complexity and innovation this mission had is pretty remarkable that the only thing that was screwed in the descent was ONLY ONE of the wind-sensors and not the wheels, cameras, rayguns or nuclear oven.... man... lasers and ovens on wheels... on mars.... How more awesome can this get?
(yeah, yeah, ships landing in washington blah blah, i'm speaking realistically
)

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by drakus

the only thing that was screwed in the descent was ONLY ONE of the wind-sensors

SHHH! Don't Jinx it!!!

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptainBeno

so just what ?? did they expect to 'break wind'on Mars... and have measured/analyzed

what they got ? a faulty wind-sock or a weather-vane ? (very low cost, low tech instrument)
or a instrument that determines the wind composition (very expensive equiptment)
edit on 22-8-2012 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

Curiosity's Wind Sock

I assume by "Wind Composition" you mean atmosphere composition. They seem to have that pretty nailed down already, but are measuring for radiation levels.
edit on 22-8-2012 by Zarniwoop because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptainBeno

Yeah, for two and a half billion, couldn't they have made rover look like a dog?

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
I would like to know what evidence there is of wind on Mars anyway.
Apart from the "dust devils" that is.

In my book, there should be a build-up around rocks on the windward side and a hollowing out on the leeward side.
The MERs were supposedly kept clean by the wind, but any wind strong enough to clean the rubbish off the MERs solar panels would be strong enough to make itself seen around the rocks.

There should also be significant wind erosion making the rocks smooth and rounded over all those billions of years, and the little "blueberries" should all be in piles by being blown in the wind..... but no, I dont see that. Maybe because there is no wind on the movie set perhaps?

Perhaps there is someone who can explain this strength of wind thing to me please?

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by qmantoo

I would like to know what evidence there is of wind on Mars anyway.
Apart from the "dust devils" that is.

Shifting Sand Dunes

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by qmantoo
In my book, there should be a build-up around rocks on the windward side and a hollowing out on the leeward side.

That may be true if "leeward" and "windward" were always in constant directions. I think, just like Earth, the winds change direction.

top topics

join