It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Republican Party Approves Strict Anti-abortion Platform - No Exceptions

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Since this is their official policy, why are they so bent out of shape for Akin supporting it???

Will we now see Romney and Ryan come out against thier own parties platform? It wouldn't surprise me...anything for some votes.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   
I think it's safe to say that the GOP is in suicide mode at this point.

Running Romney and adopting an anti-abortion platform?

What about the bad economy? Unemployment?

When will people learn?

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

As I said in the OP, I think they're pissed because he said it out loud to the public, inviting scrutiny. If they had been able to just keep it to themselves, as they have in previous years, we wouldn't be talking about it now. They would have just slid it in under the radar and worked on getting their agenda passed.

If Romney gets elected, we will see Roe v Wade overturned.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

I keep wondering how overturning Roe vs Wade is going to help people find a job or pay their bills.

Both parties have invested a lot in b.s stories this election cycle. No difference.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
reply to post by MidnightTide

Originally posted by MidnightTide
So Democrats must love this, now the election will center on abortion / homosexuality and other issues that are secondary in importance.

To women, their health care options are VERY MUCH an important issue. The GOP agenda on contraception is wrapped up in this. They're trying to take away our rights to our own bodies. I know and agree that there are other issues of importance, but THIS IS IMPORTANT to many of us.

I'm not a Democrat. Never have been.
edit on 8/21/2012 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

I have had the same argument with Christian Conservatives.....if the economy's slide is not stopped and we have a massive default, continued downgrading of credit - abortion will be last thing on peoples minds as they will be more worried about keeping the bellies of their families filled.

Abortion is an issue that has festered for years, and will continue to fester - but the economy is an issue that HAS TO BE ADDRESSED.
edit on 21-8-2012 by MidnightTide because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by MidnightTide

Their insistence upon pushing non-issues in the face of real issues is nothing more than a ploy to keep the gravy train going.

No one is going to notice much of a difference between Obama or Romney.

Obama made a lot of promises that were never intended to be kept (pulling out of Iraq, closing Gitmo, etc).

Romney will do the same on abortion and guess what? Nothing will happen.

Voters don't care about this crap at this moment. It's the economy and nothing more.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

I find it interesting that they want to apply the 14th amendment to fetuses, but not fully-formed gay people. Go figure!

Believe me if they could find a way to identify "undesirables" in the womb and exclude them from the definition of sanctity I'm sure there'd be a long list of clauses by way of clarification. Sanctity of life my butt.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by VaterOrlaag

Voters don't care about this crap at this moment. It's the economy and nothing more.

Beg to differ. This voter cares. And I know a whole mess of people who also care. Annoying when people tell me what I care about. Like either party is going to "fix" the economy.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   

So Democrats must love this, now the election will center on abortion / homosexuality and other issues that are secondary in importance. Now the focus is off the economy, jobs and the Democrats poor showing in fixing those issues in the past four years.

Republicans are shooting themselves in the foot.....and while I consider myself conservative, it is in matters like this why I don't support Republicans.

The thing is, those issues are only secondary in importance to those that arent being affected by them.

Pretty easy to say homosexuality and women's reproductive rights are of secondary importance as a white middle class, straight male, huh?
edit on 21-8-2012 by captaintyinknots because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by otherpotato

The majority of hapless voters care about whatever the media tells them to care about.

And the media is stuffing gay marriage and abortion down our throats as two examples of pet causes for the left and the right.

Not opposed to either but I think we need jobs more than stupid faith-based laws.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots

So Democrats must love this, now the election will center on abortion / homosexuality and other issues that are secondary in importance. Now the focus is off the economy, jobs and the Democrats poor showing in fixing those issues in the past four years.

Republicans are shooting themselves in the foot.....and while I consider myself conservative, it is in matters like this why I don't support Republicans.

The thing is, those issues are only secondary in importance to those that arent being affected by them.

Pretty easy to say homosexuality is of secondary importance as a white middle class, straight male, huh?

Go ahead and tell me jobs and the economy are not important. Go ahead and tell me who isn't affected by the economy. Tell me if a homosexual cares about marriage issues when he has no money and can't afford to eat. Tell me people will care if a woman can / can't have an abortion when they can't afford to feed their own family.

Yes, I am a straight, white middle class male.....but I wasn't always middle class. I went through rough times in my life, when I couldn't afford food for myself - did you think I cared about much else? I didn't, and neither will anyone else if the problems facing the economy are not corrected.

The abortion issue can be addressed at a later date. The fiscal problems we are facing today need to be addressed now, because the longer we wait, the harder things are going to be when this fake economy breaks apart.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Pretty easy to say homosexuality is of secondary importance as a white middle class, straight male, huh?

Go ahead and tell me jobs and the economy are not important. Go ahead and tell me who isn't affected by the economy. Tell me if a homosexual cares about marriage issues when he has no money and can't afford to eat. Tell me people will care if a woman can / can't have an abortion when they can't afford to feed their own family.

Yes, I am a straight, white middle class male.....but I wasn't always middle class. I went through rough times in my life, when I couldn't afford food for myself - did you think I cared about much else? I didn't, and neither will anyone else if the problems facing the economy are not corrected.

1)Please quote where I even IMPLIED that jobs arent important. Ill wait.

2)Your personal experience as a white, straight male has no correlation to the battle that women and homosexuals are in.

Again, they may be secondary issues to YOU. To claim they should be to all is narcissism at its finest.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by VaterOrlaag

Any time I listen to MSM (which is not very often and usually against my will) jobs are all I hear people talking about. Jobs jobs jobs... So I'm not following you on that one.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 07:29 PM
link   

2)Your personal experience as a white, straight male has no correlation to the battle that women and homosexuals are in.

Again, they may be secondary issues to YOU. To claim they should be to all is narcissism at its finest.

Yes, what a battle.....lets all fight over homosexuality and abortion while the economy goes down the toilet, no one can afford a decent living and can't afford to feed themselves.

Narcissistic to correct those taking the wrong path, my bad. Enjoy your debate on homosexuality and abortion while standing in the bread line.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Yes, what a battle.....lets all fight over homosexuality and abortion while the economy goes down the toilet, no one can afford a decent living and can't afford to feed themselves.

Narcissistic to correct those taking the wrong path, my bad. Enjoy your debate on homosexuality and abortion while standing in the bread line.

Rhetoric is fun, huh? You continue to assert that I am implying that the others issues ARENT important, which is nothing but a lie on your part.

To tell others what should be important to them, especially when they are living it, certainly IS narcissism.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 10:22 PM
link   
They haven't approved anything yet beyond the language to be presented in Tampa. The Convention has not convened yet.

Let's see what happens in Tampa. The thread title is a touch misleading.

Just another rerun??

The anti-abortion language was approved by the platform panel with little discussion and is nearly identical to what was in the Republican platform in 2008 and 2004.

The platform - a statement of principles that is not binding on Republican candidates - will be voted on, and likely approved, by delegates to the Republican National Convention next week in Tampa, Florida.

in.reuters.com...

Even if they approve the platform at the convention you're still a loooong way away from the actual legislation and an amendment that everyone seems to be so afraid of. It's a delicate walk...

Just some smoke folks...no need to call the fire brigade just yet...

I support strict anti abortion legislation but with certain exceptions for rape or incest and taxpayer funding...no way!!

ETA
From 2008

The Republican Party platform this year will reassert the party’s opposition to abortion. And again it will not allow for exceptions in the cases of rape, incest or to save the life of the mother, even though Senator John McCain, the presumptive presidential nominee, has long called for such exceptions.

www.nytimes.com...

Human Life Amendment to the Constitution
We must keep our pledge to the first guarantee of the Declaration of Independence. That is why we say the unborn child has a fundamental individual right to life which cannot be infringed. We support a human life amendment to the Constitution and we endorse legislation to make it clear that the 14th Amendment's protections apply to unborn children. Our purpose is to have legislative and judicial protection of that right against those who perform abortions. We oppose using public revenues for abortion and will not fund organizations which advocate it. We support the appointment of judges who respect traditional family values and the sanctity of innocent human life.

We oppose abortion, but our pro-life agenda does not include punitive action against women who have an abortion. We salute those who provide alternatives to abortion and offer adoption services, and we commend Congressional Republicans for expanding assistance to adopting families and for removing racial barriers to adoption.

www.ontheissues.org...

So, don't act surprised if you hear more of the same next week. Really! The Human Rights Amendment was mentioned in 2004....

edit on 21-8-2012 by jibeho because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-8-2012 by jibeho because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-8-2012 by jibeho because: typo

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   
no politician will ever vote to ban abortions in the case of rape.
left or right.
won't happen, ever. that includes todd akin.
they won't vote to ban abortions in the case of a medical emergency either.

you democrats make me sick.
you take one mans words, whether he meant to say it or not, and lump all conservatives together.

why do you try so hard to justify the murder of children, then claim to hold the moral high ground?
you have no morals.
while you support abortion in the case rape, which you should, you promote abortions in all cases.
mostly for selfish reasons,
such as,
i'am too young.
i can't afford it.
i don't want a boy, i want a girl.

or it has mental retardation, or some kind of birth defect.

this is sick, selfish, and greedy.

and you call us greedy.

you represent the epitome of greed.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   
From 2000

The Republican platform calls for the passage of a constitutional amendment declaring that life is sacred and begins at conception. Such an amendment would outlaw all abortions.

www.nytimes.com...

Nothing new here folks. Business as usual as they put pen to paper in an "official" capacity. Nothing has changed since 2000 nor will it change in 2012. Its political fire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Abortion is in no way, shape, or form a 'right'. Abortion is NOT a mere issue surrounding a 'woman's body'. You can use that rhetoric all you want, but it doesn't make it reality. Stop treating abortion like a black and white issue.

There's no reason women should have special 'rights' i.e free contraception.

A Vote for a Republican president is a vote against women's rights.

As a woman, I feel that I should have had the right to life from the time I was conceived. Nice (obvious) pandering to the gullible.
edit on 8/21/2012 by Charmed707 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join