It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Most shocking picture ever

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   
I am posting a picture I feel is the most shockingly captivating picture I have ever seen, especially as it pertains to world issues and things affecting us on a global scale.

Feel free to post what you feel is the most shocking, horrific or just plain galvanizing picture or image(s) you have ever witnessed.

The photographer, Kevin Carter, who took this photo recalled the child only had less than a kilometer to travel to get to a food camp but the photographer did not stop to help the child. Instead he took the picture, which by the way, won a Pulitzer Prize.

Kevin later committed suicide.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   

In March 1993 Kevin Carter made a trip to southern Sudan and took this photograph. The picture would later bring him the Pulitzer prize, but also death. The girl had stopped to rest while struggling to reach the refugee camp, nearby a vulture is waiting her to die. It is a horrific picture that gave people a true look at the dire condition in Sub-Saharan Africa. Kevin then came under a lot of scrutiny for spending over 20 minutes setting up the photo instead of helping the child. Three months after taking the photo, he committed suicide.

Saddest picture ever

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Horrible picture. I don't want to see it ever again.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Jaellma

That's messed up.
He didn't help the kid?
wow.
makes me sad.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   

I saw that pic or one like it many years ago and it always haunted me, knowing we've placed more importance on what cars we drive than actual human life. I know I don't do enough to overcome my guilt in all of this too. So I'm not judging anyone but myself.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Jaellma

A perfect example of how we see our own desires more than we ever see another's needs.

This is why the world is going to s**t. When we start thinking more about others than about ourselves, everyone will be taken care of. Until then, it's a dog-eat-dog world. And until then, we will continue to destroy everything.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

So very true. In many cases, a lot of us can do more to help but we don't, for whatever reasons. That picture was a reality check for me because this stuff happens every day but yet I have the luxury of waking up knowing that I will at least have a hot meal and a drink but others are suffering day in and day out, like that poor little girl did.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
ya i've seen this horrible picture before and it made me ill.
i dont condone suicide,but after i read that the guy killed himself,well i guess his own conscience got to him.not every picture is worth it.
imagine the ones that aren't avaliable to the public.
i'm sure there just as bad,or worse.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Heartbreaking.
One of the saddest picture I've ever seen.

Thanks for this, because I think we need to be reminded of
the state of our planet, it's a freaking disaster.

We seriously need to all come together and make a change, but we're to
busy fighting each other.

Peace

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   
I was trying to leave this thread, but it's haunting me.

I can't believe that guy didn't pick that poor baby up and help her. I get that it was to show how desperate the situation is, but that's horrible.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Why did i click on this thread, it was in the headline

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by RMFX1

Way to go

2nd line

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   
We are in a very sad state...

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I first saw this picture years ago and it made me feel sad then as it does now.
It is also a struggle for me to understand how the search for a perfect image can outweigh a natural desire to assist a suffering human being - I get the "tell the world" idea, but personally I would have carried that child to the nearest safety I could, or shared whatever water/food I had on me before chasing the image

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by RMFX1

Perhaps this sentiment is partly why the world is in shambles...no one wants to see whats so wrong with the world, at least not if its hard to look at, and when they do see such sorrow and despair, they avert their eyes, and set themselves to forget ever witnessing it.

Everyone one of us should be looking at this picture everyday, so it is fresh in our minds the contrast between human to human, and the unspeakable injustice in this world. Perhaps with that injustice fresh in the minds of all, things would start moving towards rectifying it.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   
I don`t feel so bad that he took the time to get the picture. Would it stop it from happening? That buzzard is doing what it is because that`s not the first time nor the last sadly.
I`d like to know how many other kids the parents have in the same condition?
How many more they will have knowing how this turns out?

Yes it stinks things like this happen and have been for years. The need for birth control till the population can support itself is far past due.

Lets put myself in their shoes for a moment. Oh god I`m hungry but oh so horny bang there is another mouth to feed. That logic just does not work and never has.
I have seen these starving people my entire life and it has never changed but yes OP that is a sad picture indeed.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   
This is yet another proof that if you do the crime, which is contrary to morality, pangs of conscience arrives in the form of suicide. Poor girl.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Connman

I'm not trying to fix the world. I know that poverty and lack will always be with us, but I'm very sure that I would have taken the steps necessary to fix this one situation with this one girl.

I think that's where my sentiment is.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Feed the child? The photographer would have been instantly mobbed by the numerous people that are in his area travelling to the food distribution camp. Carry the child? If you carry the child to the food camp does it become your child. Also, as a previous poster mentioned, there were probably soldiers close by because most impoverished countries with people in this condition don't want them fattened up to later cause problems for the government. The photographer wasn't part of the humanitarian aid group. As for his suicide, maybe it wasn't because of the photos he took.
edit on 21-8-2012 by eManym because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join