It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Book report: Build The Perfect Bug Out Bag: Your 72-Hour Disaster Survival Kit by Creek Stewart

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   
I didn't see anyone write about this book before, so I thought I would give a quick opinion.

Build The Perfect Bug Out Bag: Your 72-Hour Disaster Survival Kit by Creek Stewart. Published by Betterway Home . Copyright 2012.

I've had a good idea what a BOB should be like for a long time, so I basically picked up this book at the library just to validate my thoughts, plus look for some good tips and tricks.

The author has laid out the chapters by supply categories.
-water and hydration
-food and food preparation
-clothing
-shelter and bedding
-fire
-first aid
-hygiene
-tools
-lighting
-communications
-protection and self defense
miscellaneous supplies

I don't want to steal any of the author's thunder because I think this is, at least, worth a checkout from your library if they have it. It's also cheap on Amazon.

Most of the items are common sense, but there are a few things I hadn't considered.

-Wrapping duct tape around water bottles. That's about perfect. It protects the bottles and gives a few feet of tape.
-Buying a shemagh. Do you know what that is? I didn't. It's basically those large bandannas worn by foreign military.

The only thing that concerns me with this is that you may look like a baddie. It's large enough to be used as a sling and it works great as a water pre-filter.

The book finishes with a nice checklist that can also be found at the publisher's site.

Thanks

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Well, if you're worried about looking like a "baddie", how about just getting one of those triangular bandages - or even a boy scout type of triangular neckerchief (or maybe a large cowboy scarf/bandanna) and just wear it around your neck?

Those are large enough to use as arm slings. The Boy Scouts even train their boys to use them as such in emergencies.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Sounds like a good book and worth a look. The main thing is to use it to see what works and what else you need. A few days of camping with your BOB will help you get a small idea of what is useful. I know a camping trip is not the same as a shtf situation but it's a way to start.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
A really interesting segment towards the end of the book is how to go buy a BOB for $303.80. Not a pre-assembled one, but actually making one from shelf items.

I keep looking at this book and I think I'm going to buy it just to support the author.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
No knife?

Thats a fairly serious over sight in my opinion, a knife is pretty much the most universal omni tool one could have in the wild, unless thats what he means by "tools", then fair enough. But really, you will want a knife, to be honest if all else failed that would be the only thing i take with me.

Eh sorry miss read the OP, pretty certain there will be a note stressing the importance of having a knife.
edit on 21-8-2012 by Murad because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Murad
No knife?

Thats a fairly serious over sight in my opinion, a knife is pretty much the most universal omni tool one could have in the wild, unless thats what he means by "tools", then fair enough. But really, you will want a knife, to be honest if all else failed that would be the only thing i take with me.

Eh sorry miss read the OP, pretty certain there will be a note stressing the importance of having a knife.
edit on 21-8-2012 by Murad because: (no reason given)

Yeah, he actually covers knives in two sections, Tools and Protection. I don't think there's anything he doesn't cover. It's not full on survival manual, but it's about what to pack and how to use the stuff in your BOB.

top topics

join