The Living Bible is a History Book

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by windword
reply to post by lambs to lions

You seem to conveniently forget all the wars and battles that God commanded of the Israelites.

My dad once told me to punch a bully or he wouldn't leave me alone (despite the fact I was twice his size and timid). It worked.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   
PS: still waiting for harry potter to corroborate history like the bible has.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Because quoting the Bible does NOT count as proof that it's true.
reply to post by AfterInfinity

And anything you can say does not disprove it's true...

Sigh I myself dont believe in the Bible, but why does everyone have the urge to call the stories fairytales? It's a huge sign of how mature ones mind is IMO..

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

So... we agree that there is historical fact in the Bible. Our difference is that I say it is from a Jewish and Christian perspective and you say it is fiction set against a backdrop of history... thus, it is a matter of faith.

The history it is played against is fact... Herod, Ceasar, Egypt, Assyrria, etc

Another one of my favorite examples of history being found to be fact... In what was the ancient Assyrian Empire, small ancient clay tablets were found. They were receipts between the Assyrians and the Issakesseni or House of Issac... the 10 exiled tribes of the Northern Kingdom of Israel... circa 780bc.

Was it devine or just one countryy pitted against another?... leave that to faith.

Did it happen?... archeology and history say Yes.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Sorry but I cannot put 100% faith in a book where "God" destroys cities, asks a man to sacrifice his son just to see if he will, and would let one of his creations (Jesus) be tortured and hung from a cross and saying it had to be done for the good of humanity.

Faith is a good thing, religion just keeps people at each others throats.

The true history of man may not even be known to any person alive today. I'm sure a book that has been edited by man has lost a lot in translation throughout history.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by cconn487
Sorry but I cannot put 100% faith in a book where "God" destroys cities, asks a man to sacrifice his son just to see if he will, and would let one of his creations (Jesus) be tortured and hung from a cross and saying it had to be done for the good of humanity.

Faith is a good thing, religion just keeps people at each others throats.

The true history of man may not even be known to any person alive today. I'm sure a book that has been edited by man has lost a lot in translation throughout history.

Nobody is asking for your personal opinion, or how you feel.

The fact remains that the bible has had more history encoded in it that was later revealed to be truth by modern science than any other ancient document, bar none. Still waiting for harry potter though.
edit on 21-8-2012 by DeadSeraph because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by cconn487

We have trouble believing a man died on a cross for the good of humanity...

but we have too many examples of a soldier falling on a grenade to save his comrades... or a bystander leaping into a road and pushing a child out of the way only to be struck by the oncoming vehicle...

Is what Jesus did so unbelievable? Even if you believe him only a man... would someone of great faith die for others? Would a mortal die for what they believe in?

Look up Polycarp... a Roman citizen and Christian martyr... that was tortured with fire by being made to sit in an iron chair with a fire beneath it... to the death because he would not deny God and proclaim Ceasar as Lord. Sounds incredible... but that is recorded fact... history.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlreadyGone
reply to post by cconn487

We have trouble believing a man died on a cross for the good of humanity...

but we have too many examples of a soldier falling on a grenade to save his comrades... or a bystander leaping into a road and pushing a child out of the way only to be struck by the oncoming vehicle...

Is what Jesus did so unbelievable? Even if you believe him only a man... would someone of great faith die for others? Would a mortal die for what they believe in?

Look up Polycarp... a Roman citizen and Christian martyr... that was tortured with fire by being made to sit in an iron chair with a fire beneath it... to the death because he would not deny God and proclaim Ceasar as Lord. Sounds incredible... but that is recorded fact... history.

I have no doubt Jesus existed, I believe he died on the cross willingly to get a message across. I just am against the whole "vengeful god" thing all throughout the bible. All it does is perpetuate the idea that sometimes you have to be evil to be good.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by DeadSeraph

So what if some of the stuff in the Bible is actual history. It is tainted by religious superstition. I can watch a movie and learn real history from a fictional story.

Did Jonah live in the belly of a whale for 3 days? Impossible! Did Noah gather 2 of every animal? Impossible. Who was there to listen to and record the conversation between God and Satan about Job? Is that history?

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
reply to post by randyvs

This thread is about the Bible. The Church is built on the Bible. The Church is related to this thread.

Off topic? Please. That's the best argument you have.

Wrong, the Church is built on the Messiah, Yeshua (Jesus). Yeshua is the Head, we are his Body.. So if i feel the urge to slap you down. He did it.

Btw, for someone who likes to natter on and on about lacking critical thinking, you do not seem to have any at all for someone who dogs the Holy Bible but has never taken the time to read it. So who is lacking the critical thinking? Not much sense in a man (or woman) who judges a book by it's cover. Just sayin'

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by AlreadyGone

It's not unbelievable that a man would die for a cause. It IS unbelievable that his death resolves all the sin in the world and that he came back to life.

It is unbelievable that a God would require the death of an innocent person, son of God or not, to save us from his own wrath.

As far as martyrs, look at all the indigenous people who were killed for refusing to convert.
edit on 21-8-2012 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   

So what if some of the stuff in the Bible is actual history. It is tainted by religious superstition. I can watch a movie and learn real history from a fictional story.

Did Jonah live in the belly of a whale for 3 days? Impossible! Did Noah gather 2 of every animal? Impossible. Who was there to listen to and record the conversation between God and Satan about Job? Is that history?

to answer your first direct questions:

-The bible does not specify it was a whale, and technically this is not impossible, since we do not have adequate facts.

-Noah very well could have gathered 2 of every local animal for breeding purposes. Not impossible.

-Job is the oldest known book in the bible. Do you honestly think it was a conversation between God, Satan, and Job, recorded by a scribe as if in a court case? I don't, and I'm a Christian. I fail to see how this discredits the idea of God.

To address your original point:

I don't care if it's tainted by religious superstition. It has proven to be uncannily accurate in it's historical value whether you like it or not.

Oddly enough, in modern times, every other ancient document is given far more credence and lenience within archaeology. We don't put documents from other religions under nearly as much scrutiny, and logically allow for them to contain a grain of truth. But we systematically oppress the idea that anything in the bible might be true, yet it has withstood the test of time, and continues to reveal truth even today archaeologically.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

Commanding generals send troops out into a battle and ultimately to their death to create a delaying action so that others may retreat, escape, and live.

We agree to a point that the Bible is founded in history and that some, if not all, of the recorded events happened.

It is a matter of faith... believer or non-believer ... as to the why it happened.

The premise of the OP was that the Bible is history... as such, we agree.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

Oh, by the way... look at all the Christians that have been killed because they would not convert.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 10:15 PM
link   

There are some things in the Bible that are historically accurate and others that can only be classified as myths. I find nothing uncanny in the recording of history by a people that were obsessed with lineage.

The Bible fails, however, to provide the History of Egypt, which kept great records, many of which we would still have if the Library of Alexandria hadn't been destroyed by Christians. The Bible fails to give us any history of Greece, Italy, Persia, India, all of which kept records. The Bible doesn't tell us of anything but Jewish lore.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by AlreadyGone

The numbers pale in comparison, but still, is the death of a Christian holier that the death of an indigenous person defending their lifestyle?

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 10:24 PM
link   

There are some things in the Bible that are historically accurate and others that can only be classified as myths. I find nothing uncanny in the recording of history by a people that were obsessed with lineage.

The Bible fails, however, to provide the History of Egypt, which kept great records, many of which we would still have if the Library of Alexandria hadn't been destroyed by Christians. The Bible fails to give us any history of Greece, Italy, Persia, India, all of which kept records. The Bible doesn't tell us of anything but Jewish lore.

Wrong, wrong, and wrong. Your bias is apparent.

The bible does give a history of Egypt in exodus, which can be corroborated. The fact Zahi Hawass refuses to look at the facts, does not make them any less intriguing. You are free to look them up yourself if you are so inclined (though I suspect you are content to simply sit here and rage against the bible instead of actually learning something).

Secondly, the Library of Alexandria was not destroyed by Christians.

"Ancient and modern sources identify four possible occasions for the partial or complete destruction of the Library of Alexandria: Julius Caesar's fire in the Alexandrian War, in 48 BC; the attack of Aurelian in 270 – 275 AD; the decree of Coptic Pope Theophilus in AD 391; and the Muslim conquest in 642 AD or thereafter."

You simply wish to point the finger due to bias, without any evidence to support your claim.

Finally, the bible gives a detailed history of Babylon AND Persia. But I wouldn't expect you to know this, having known no frame work with which to base what you were reading, and simply assuming it was all "fairy tales".

Keep trolling.
edit on 21-8-2012 by DeadSeraph because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

Originally posted by stealthmonkey
reply to post by Titen-Sxull

apparently when adam and eve ate from the tree of knowlodge they became like gods knowing good from evil before that man was like any other animal

Wait a minute. I thought even the church accepted evolution (with god planting the seed of life), meaning that Adam and Eve were monkeys?

no im saying man had no knowlodge of good and evil before he ate the fruit of knowlodge . man as always been man since he was placed on this earth, never a monkey

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by olliemc84

How many wars do you think could have been avoided....how many lives lost do you think could have been saved if there was no "God"? You do realize that most conflicts arise during a dispute over whos "God" is better, right? Crusades, Inquisition, Spanish entering the New World,....all that over religious beliefs. So give it a rest. Here's an idea...maybe the "God" that you think created this wonderful world was a complete idiot. That makes more sense to me then what you claim "God" is.

Who are you to say who is an idiot at anytime during your short inexperienced existence ? My word and you say Christians are arrogant. Look at yourself you really are one step below humorous with your insults. I think my perspective will ring true when the bell trolls.

Back on topic If you please lest we turn this into another pantomime.
edit on 21-8-2012 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Okay, I stand corrected on the Library. We don't know who sacked it.

But the Bible is woefully lacking in Egyptian history. Just because some stories are set in Egypt, it's history is not recorded. The building of the pyramids and the Sphinx are not even mentioned. There is no instance that records the annual flooding of the Nile or any Egyptian lore. The Egyptians did leave us a record of their history that's probably more accurate and lengthier than the Bible's history, as Egypt was already thriving when we meet Moses, and was around even before Abraham.

Finally, the bible gives a detailed history of Babylon AND Persia. But I wouldn't expect you to know this, having known no frame work with which to base what you were reading, and simply assuming it was all "fairy tales".

No it doesn't. It gives us anecdotal stories, like the Tower of Babel. But not really detailed history of the life and times of the people.

edit on 21-8-2012 by windword because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join