It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Living Bible is a History Book

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by dayve

Steering this idiocy back on topic, all of the history books I've seen make a point of avoiding yellow journalism. If it's not a fact, we are informed of such.

The Bible? Not so much.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs
reply to post by olliemc84

How is it that truth, facts, and common sense are all qualities held at the highest standard in schools, universities, jobs, hospitals, restaurants, shopping centers, and in courts of law, but not in church? Anything goes.

A truly backwards view of your own society that speaks volumes to your enveloped disinformation and ignorance of your own Heavenly Father whom you know not. Where does that leave you as I restrain my self from any ad hominems.

I'm not attacking you, Randy. I'm just calmly picking things out that don't make sense. As in your statement of 'ignorance of your own Heavenly Father whom you know not'.

What man who is considered a genius, and has studied religion and gods throughout all of his life, can possibly say that he knows anything about a god?

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Facts aren't arguments please just stay on topic After, is that to much to ask of you ? Or do you have to continually display your fear of death in everything I write by trying to derail it ? I tell you. You're far more obssessed with this stuff than any Christian. so study a little bit and learn something. Quit popp'in off with nonsense and read this..

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Hell I know the difference jigger but you make yourself clear and I should be paying more attention to you. Forgive me for being so slow. I think everyone knows I lack the common academic abilities of most of my opponents and work with what I have. You have my attention for awhile my good man.

What man who is considered a genius, and has studied religion and gods throughout all of his life, can possibly say that he knows anything about a god?

Well this calls for scripture and I hope you don't mind.

John10:27

My sheep will now my voice because they follow me.
edit on 21-8-2012 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   

reply to post by jiggerj

Hell I know the difference jigger but you make yourself clear and I should be paying more attention to you. Forgive me for being so slow. I think everyone knows I lack the common academic abilities of most of my opponents and work with what I have. You have my attention for awhile my good man.

Well this calls for scripture and I hope you don't mind.

John10:27

My sheep will now my voice because they follow me.

Actually, I do mind quotes from the scripture. I am discussing this with YOU, trying to connect with your mind. I can read a book on mechanics, but that doesn't mean I have the slightest clue on how to build a fighter jet. I would have to see it in my mind. I would have to work through what is logical and allow myself to disregard what isn't logical.

It is not logical for any human to have any idea on what a god wants, plans, or thinks. So far it seems as though god wants us to war and to hate. God wants the Middle East to remain a fermenting cesspool where people kill in his name. After all, isn't this what we've been doing for at least 6 thousand years? Even with the message of love and forgiveness being spread throughout all of man's history, god sure seems to want just the opposite from us.

So, is it logical to believe a god wants this? Of course not. We can't possibly know what He wants.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by stealthmonkey

I know the story. It offers no good explanation for how evil can even exist in a world created by a solely wholly good being. A perfect, all powerful all good being, cannot logically create an imperfect or evil creation.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

So, is it logical to believe a god wants this? Of course not. We can't possibly know what He wants.

Alright then from my mind and I do like that better. First let me say that if we take into consideration that God created everything we know ? He should be capable of a communication that would let us know exactly what he wants. I have found nothing that compares to the Bible in consideration of that communication. The results of mans sickness at his own heart/core are what you see going on this world in which we live today. And might I suggest to you Jigger, this world is nothing he intended for us, but is the direct result of man not wanting Gods guidance. If we lived with a relationship with our Father in Heaven. We would have that same wholesome relationship that any father and son share when steeped in a moral culture.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   

reply to post by jiggerj

Alright then from my mind and I do like that better. First let me say that if we take into consideration that God created everything we know. He should be capable of a communication that would let us know exactly what he wants. I have found nothing that compares to the Bible in consideration of that communication. The results of mans sickness at his own heart/core are what you see going on this world in which we live today. And might I suggest to you Jigger, this world is nothing he intended for us, but is the direct result of man not wanting Gods guidance. If we lived with a relationship with our Father in Heaven. We would have that same wholesome relationship that any father and son share when steeped in a moral culture.

Good thoughts, my friend. And you are honest in saying that you have found nothing that compares to the bible when it comes to the word of god. Now I can refer back to my first statement of

Stopped (the clip) at 3:06. If the utter conflict over the apocrypha isn't a clear sign that the bible is man-made and not inspired by any god, I don't know what to tell you.

Anyone with the ability to read can quote the bible, but not everyone can piece together all the inconsistencies and contradictions that is clear evidence that the bible is completely fabricated by man.

If people want to believe in a god (and guess at what he's all about), it's fine by me. But to believe in the bible while deliberately ignoring the myriad flaws within it, is living a lie. And I don't wish that on anyone. It really makes me heartsick to know that sooo many people wasted their entire lives on a lie.

edit on 8/21/2012 by jiggerj because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

The apocrypha are interesting and do have value in my opinion. However, there are rational reasons as to why they are not included in the bible. First, their authenticity is in many cases speculative at best. Next, some of them contradict themselves, often in the same paragraph. Finally, because of these questions and their overall lack of importance in regards to the message of the bible, they were not included.

Now, of course there are some of these books that were never in the bible, some that were taken out, and some that are referenced by existing books (ex. Enoch). I do find Enoch to be important to me as it helps to satisfy my curiosity regarding Genesis, etc.. But, it is of little importance in regards to the core teachings of the bible.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Titen-Sxull

If God wanted mindless followers he would not have given us free will. We are but children in God's eyes, is that not "perfect"? We are an amazing creation imagined by an amazing Creator. Our triumphs bring Him great joy, our failures great pain. He gave us this world, a blank slate, it is us who choose to harm each other. Through our selfishness and greed we have forsaken one another. Heaven, I believe, will be earth void of such pains. An eternity to explore, laugh, love, and dedicate ourselves to satisfying our creative passions without the burdens of evil.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by lambs to lions

If God wanted mindless followers he would not have given us free will. We are but children in God's eyes, is that not "perfect"? We are an amazing creation imagined by an amazing Creator. Our triumphs bring Him great joy, our failures great pain. He gave us this world, a blank slate, it is us who choose to harm each other. Through our selfishness and greed we have forsaken one another. Heaven, I believe, will be earth void of such pains. An eternity to explore, laugh, love, and dedicate ourselves to satisfying our creative passions without the burdens of evil.

A man after my own heart.
This speaks volumes to the truth of our history. Obviously everyone wants a world without evil. How can there be any hope for that, if there is no God ?

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   

A man after my own heart.
This speaks volumes to the truth of our history. Obviously everyone wants a world without evil. How can there be any hope for that, if there is no God ?

How many wars do you think could have been avoided....how many lives lost do you think could have been saved if there was no "God"? You do realize that most conflicts arise during a dispute over whos "God" is better, right? Crusades, Inquisition, Spanish entering the New World,....all that over religious beliefs. So give it a rest. Here's an idea...maybe the "God" that you think created this wonderful world was a complete idiot. That makes more sense to me then what you claim "God" is.

If there was a "God" then what sense does it make for a 3 year old child to suffer from cancer? Answer me that one.

And don't recite scripture.

edit on 21-8-2012 by olliemc84 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   

First of all, there would be no men if there were no God. These wars you speak of, they are not God's wars. They are man's. Regardless, of the excuses, they are not caused by God. They are caused by men filled with their own ambitions, hate, and above all things....Judgement! We are taught not to pass judgement, and to leave the judging to God who is worthy to do so. Seems people forget that, they are man's wars.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
reply to post by randyvs

*yawn* Is it over yet?

I can, in five minutes, corroborate more facts in any of the Harry Potter stories than you could in your Bible. Because quoting the Bible does NOT count as proof that it's true.

And in case I'm unclear here, I am talking about the Biblical conversations. I couldn't care less about the rest...it's the dialogue that's important. And you can't prove a single word of those really important conversations actually happened.
edit on 21-8-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

3 pages in now and you have yet to verify your claim.

Patiently waiting for you to corroborate more historical facts via harry potter than the bible

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   

You seem to conveniently forget all the wars and battles that God commanded of the Israelites.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   

For centuries, Nineveh was thought to be a mythical city... only the Bible and locals of Syria talked of Nineveh..

Archeologists doubted it's very existence but... it was found, geographically and historically as recorded in... the Bible.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlreadyGone

For centuries, Nineveh was thought to be a mythical city... only the Bible and locals of Syria talked of Nineveh..

Archeologists doubted it's very existence but... it was found, geographically and historically as recorded in... the Bible.

Just the tip of the iceberg (literally the tip).

Still waiting for harry potter though

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Regarding suffering of children...it is a question I can't answer. I can't imagine anything more horrible as I have young children. I do know that believers suffer the same as non-believers. We can only take comfort in knowing what awaits us after death. There is much we don't understand, that will be revealed. I have theories, but I don't wish to get into them as they are just theories.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by lambs to lions

Regarding suffering of children...it is a question I can't answer. I can't imagine anything more horrible as I have young children. I do know that believers suffer the same as non-believers. We can only take comfort in knowing what awaits us after death. There is much we don't understand, that will be revealed. I have theories, but I don't wish to get into them as they are just theories.

My suggestion would be to not assume guilt on behalf of God for that which science has already explained. Why does the fact children suffer, imply there is no creator?

I helped to create my daughter. Am I to assume that I should be capable of preventing suffering in her life, because I love her? Of course not. All I can do is TRY to prevent suffering in her life, and love her and teach her as best I can.

Why do children get cancer? Why do animals get cancer? Science has already answered you and this does not disprove the creation of the Universe. It is not a sound argument against a creator (and not even a sound argument against a loving creator).

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

I am not an ancient Israelite, nor do we exist in those days. Those were difficult times indeed, and life was a struggle. We have since seen the birth, death, and resurrection of God in the flesh...and He gave us the sermon on the mount, and other messages of love.
edit on 21-8-2012 by lambs to lions because: Sp

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join