It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Living Bible is a History Book

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Seraph is correct and I'm not being biased by saying that Lucid. Please join us in something closer to the topic if you choose of course.

Did you watch it? The full clip?

Can you explain what the topic is and then explain how the video is off topic?

Thanks

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

I apologize for my assumptions

Your last point is interesting. The bible being supposedly "infallible" is viewed through what lens? If we assume the bible is infallible, how does this discredit it's historical significance, if the minds interpreting it are clearly (and admittedly) fallible?

Case in point:

We assume Sodom never existed within academic circles, and naturally as such assume the bible is fallible. Later, archaeological discoveries reveal evidence to suggest it DID in fact exist. Is it the bible that was fallible, or our own understanding of it, and it's claims?
edit on 22-8-2012 by DeadSeraph because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by DeadSeraph

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

I'm not quite sure what point you are trying to prove my friend.

Why the chariot wheels? Chariot wheels were everywhere much like pottery or metal artifacts that sink when a ship/barge sinks

You whole argument is wrong, you are trying to prove something happen/existed with physical proof when you are unable to prove any with physical proof that god existed.

Where is you physical proof. In order for something to have existed there needs to be firm trace evidence. A wheel at the bottom of the sea is not proof of anything but a ship sinking?

Show me proof?

I believe in a lot of things, sure some things are a bit fanciful but there is proof that logically suggests it has existed at one point or another.

Simply saying something existed and believing it existed is so far removed from reality it's a joke?

A bible and a story is not significant evidence enough. And making square pegs fit round holes is not a logical thought process and certainly not one that proves anything?

Sure people lived in these areas you are suggesting, but it does not prove a story that was written about these places is true does it now? Surely you have to say yes to this? Especially a story that has been translated, re-written, changed and translated, re-written and changed time time time again over the course of so long not even some of those languages exist today.

edit on 22-8-2012 by CaptainBeno because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptainBeno

I don't mean to offend you, but this is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read. Not only is it COMPLETELY off topic, rambling, and incoherent, but you posit the notion that you require physical evidence of GOD in order to participate in this thread? REALLY!?

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   

So what you are saying then is if you believe in something, it's true.

If you read about something, it's true.

Have no evidence about something, it's true.

Have that warm fuzzy feeling about something, it's true?

OK, Rightyo then........
?

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Also, I quote Mr XYZ's post

And when I said it's a FACT that a global flood never happened, that's what I meant. There is ZERO geological evidence for a global flood, and an event of that magnitude would leave evidence behind. Also, today's biodiversity wouldn't be possible if just a few thousand years all but 2 of each species would have died. And lastly, there isn't enough water on earth to submerge everything in the first place. In short, a global flood simply never happened and you'd have to be incredibly brainwashed to ignore that FACT. Local floods, sure...global floods, not a chance.

That coupled with your misguided warm and fuzzy beliefs that you can't prove are hilarious.

WOW a cart wheel under water, it must be true

link   

Originally posted by DeadSeraph
reply to post by CaptainBeno

I don't mean to offend you, but this is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read. Not only is it COMPLETELY off topic, rambling, and incoherent, but you posit the notion that you require physical evidence of GOD in order to participate in this thread? REALLY!?

I'm think'in Mr.Beno is another mind controled product.that most likely wouldn't believe in God if he crashed his birthday party with fire and brimstone Sodom and Gomarah ala carte.

link   

Originally posted by CaptainBeno

So what you are saying then is if you believe in something, it's true.

If you read about something, it's true.

Have no evidence about something, it's true.

Have that warm fuzzy feeling about something, it's true?

OK, Rightyo then........
?

Evidence to support the premise of the OP has been provided for you in spades. It would seem to me that what you have just stated in the quoted text above is precisely what you believe.

All I have seen thus far from critics of this thread is an endless stream of bias and shouts of "SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!"

Where are your critical thinking skills? Your ability to look past your own bias, address the issue at hand (without your religion hate goggles on) and objectively look at the evidence?

In one sentence you admit that certain things in the bible are now confirmed by archaeology, and in the next you condemn the bible because of a philosophical premise, and the fact you are lacking "physical proof of God". It's ridiculous.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Also, I quote Mr XYZ's post

And when I said it's a FACT that a global flood never happened, that's what I meant. There is ZERO geological evidence for a global flood, and an event of that magnitude would leave evidence behind. Also, today's biodiversity wouldn't be possible if just a few thousand years all but 2 of each species would have died. And lastly, there isn't enough water on earth to submerge everything in the first place. In short, a global flood simply never happened and you'd have to be incredibly brainwashed to ignore that FACT. Local floods, sure...global floods, not a chance.

That coupled with your misguided warm and fuzzy beliefs that you can't prove are hilarious.

WOW a cart wheel under water, it must be true

WOW, the fact there is no geological evidence for a GLOBAL flood must mean the entire bible is bull#!!!

Do you even bother thinking for yourself? Are you aware there is ample evidence for a HUGE regional flood, that actually coincides with the account given in Genesis? Have you bothered to take a look at that evidence or are you just content to parrot ideas you've been fed while accusing theists of doing the same?

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Ok, now you have me interested.

I have 2 questions for you.

1. Do you believe in Science?
2. Do you believe in Evolution?

I'm just interested to know this from the person berating my beliefs.

It's funny my evidence is the presence of nothing you have mentioned in any of your posts.

Your evidence is a story with a few artifacts.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Do you even bother thinking for yourself? Are you aware there is ample evidence for a HUGE regional flood, that actually coincides with the account given in Genesis? Have you bothered to take a look at that evidence or are you just content to parrot ideas you've been fed while accusing theists of doing the same?

Show me the money?

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Ok, now you have me interested.

I have 2 questions for you.

1. Do you believe in Science?
2. Do you believe in Evolution?

I'm just interested to know this from the person berating my beliefs.

It's funny my evidence is the presence of nothing you have mentioned in any of your posts.

Your evidence is a story with a few artifacts.

Answers:

1) Yes
2) Yes

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Show me the money?

I present to you this: ncse.com...

I even do you the service of presenting an article that is critical of this theory. At least I've done my home work. I'd appreciate it if you started doing yours.

The problem I have here, is not that you ask questions (you should). It's that you only ask the questions you are told to. You have not bothered to look into the evidence presented by the "other side". While myself and others, have dug deep into the issues due to criticisms leveled by people like you.

It seems to me only one type of person is interested in the truth: Those who love it.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

All of those wars would still have taken place because the true intent was not religious, but greed and insanity. Religion was the excuse used in order to grab land, gold, slaves...

Well Jig I think you're wrong. And it won't do any good to say anything more. So have it your way.
edit on 22-8-2012 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs
reply to post by jiggerj

All of those wars would still have taken place because the true intent was not religious, but greed and insanity. Religion was the excuse used in order to grab land, gold, slaves...

Well Jig I think you're wrong. And it won't do any good to say anything more. So have it your way.

I agree with him completely. Not sure if you got his point 100% randy. He was stating that religion is often used as a scapegoat for wars, death, etc, by atheists. But what he is saying, is that it's a scapegoat within a scapegoat. Basically that governments, kings, groups, etc, have used religion as a galvanizing force to rally people behind their own personal, immoral, and greedy agendas.

With that said, I agree with him 100%, and so does Scripture.
edit on 22-8-2012 by DeadSeraph because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Thank you for your link.

What exactly do you mean:

It's that you only ask the questions you are told to.

Surely I should ask every question?

Questions like:

Creation or Evolution?
Immaculate conception?
Genesis?
Why is it said that evolution provides the scientific orthodoxy for the philosophies of Marxism, fascism, racism, apartheid and unbridled capitalism?

What I really would like to know however is, how does your belief play a part in your everyday life?
Do you think you are somehow better than me because you have your belief?
Why force it down my and others throats?
How will belief change my life?
Why is religion in my eyes the root of all evil and starts nearly all wars.

So, when you have stopped with your archaeology lessons, please offer me some proof of god.

CB

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Thank you for your link.

What exactly do you mean:

It's that you only ask the questions you are told to.

Surely I should ask every question?

Questions like:

Creation or Evolution?
Immaculate conception?
Genesis?
Why is it said that evolution provides the scientific orthodoxy for the philosophies of Marxism, fascism, racism, apartheid and unbridled capitalism?

What I really would like to know however is, how does your belief play a part in your everyday life?
Do you think you are somehow better than me because you have your belief?
Why force it down my and others throats?
How will belief change my life?
Why is religion in my eyes the root of all evil and starts nearly all wars.

So, when you have stopped with your archaeology lessons, please offer me some proof of god.

CB

You should ask all these questions. But you are now stepping outside of the bounds of the topic. The topic isn't about "proof" that God exists. It's about HISTORY being recorded in the bible.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 11:56 PM
link   

I do agree with that part of what he was saying. But he is opposing a greater truth I touched upon in my view. That there would be no war if we had a direct relationship with God. I can't give any proof of something I feel so I have no choice but to relent.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 12:37 AM
link   
www.youtube.com...

Just for starters.... (You asked me to watch your video, will you watch this one? Probably not because that will detract from your sticking your fingers in your ears and saying "LALALALALALALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU!)
Contrary opinion isn't evil. It's just contrary opinion.

Let's start with some other stuff:
* Land of Nod. Who went there to get a wife? Weren't Cain & Abel the first children ever? But there are 'other' lands full of marriageable women...Who was being 'busy' elsewhere?
* The flood. Giants/Nephelim (depending on your Bible). Are Giants/Nephelim an abomination? Yes?
"There were Giants/Nephelim in those days, and after" means that they were either on the boat (the Ark), or that the flood was rubbish. God's fallible for not killing all that was not acceptable, or Noah's family included Giants/Nephelim. God is infallible, so the Nephelim/Giants are not an abomination.
"Oh, it was local..." I hear you say. "The whole world" says the Bible. History book, you say?
* The flood. Are marsupials clean or unclean? Were they collected by twos or sevens? Not mentioned, and no fossil evidence of any between Turkey (Arrarat) and Australasia. They must have been (a) bitchin' swimmers, (b) tough to walk to the Ark across the landmass between the two continents, (c) content with non-native foods. or Moses must have been propagating and harvesting for months prior to the flood (you know how picky Koala can be about their Eucalyptus leaves!).
Did we get past Genesis yet?

* Isn't the word of the Lord eternal? Why are so many Christians stuck on the New Testament? They hate Homosexuals, but there's nothing in there about Homosexuality. That's all in the old Testament next to the stuff about shrimp, and killing children for being rebellious (You'll take your children to the edge of town and kill them when they are rebellious, right? You don't? Oh, that won't please your God. You might not get into heaven!). Oh, and the 10 commandments...they're Old Testament too. So you like some bits of the old Testament, but not all of them?

Satan is a bad guy? In the Bible he kills between seven and ten people (depending on your Bible).
God kills about two and a half million. But he's the good guy? Sorry, just trying to keep up.
Satan is bad, and God is good. But Satan isn't the genocidal maniac. He just "tempts" people.

OP. I suggest you read the bible. Atheism awaits you if you do. Once you see that it's a book of Bronze Age fables, you can start enjoying it more. You won't go to hell or whatever you're frightened of.
Science, common sense, history, and truth: We hide that information in other books. You should read some.
Books that tell you that they are correct because it says so in the same book might not have your best interests at heart.

Show me one other book with a contemporary account of Jesus. Don't use Josephus, as the grammar, context, syntax, and style are completely different in the bits apparently about Jesus ("Oh, I'd better change the style I write in because I'm talking about him..."). Got any?

Believe what you like, but don't present it as fact without doing your homework.

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join