It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Politics is destroying us

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   
I am so tired of politics. Whether it's the presidential race - and you can find cleaner debates in a KKK vs Black Power debate! - or the gay marriage issue or the abortion issue, the problem isn't with the disagreements, it's with the politics! Because where people should be able to debate things in a calm, sensible manner - and don't ever think this only goes for one side, "the anti gays" or "anti-abortion" people, because that's pure bs! - politics, nothing less, makes us fling insults like some 2 cent reject at the neighbourhood pub.

Politics is dividing us into groups of hateful individuals who are either on one side of an issue, or the other. Politics turns us into mudslinging idiots, and politics is turning people into enemies where they could otherwise be friends! Politics is politicians throwing crap around at their opponent to win, dragging humanity down to their lowlife level. So let me make this as abundantly clear as possible, all you debaters out there.

Humans are better than this. We are better than politicians.

Whether you're on one friggin' side of the fence or the other, there is no need what-so-friggin'-ever, to get down and dirty and throw insults around. We are not the Spanish Inquisition, and we are not brainless barbarians. We are humans, and we are capable of coherent and polite, even friendly, Heaven forbid, discussions, if we ever even have to actually deal with the disgusting field that is politics. In my opinion it has no place in polite company.

Personally, I'm done. I am sick and tired of it. I will never reject my ability to vote, but I will reject any and all political discussions with anyone, because politics isn't worth making enemies of, and it is definitely not something to base friendship on.

Somebody wants to ban abortions? That's their opinion, and none of your business. Get - over - it!

A person wants to legalize gay marriage, and it pisses you off? Guess what? That's none of your damn business!

So, people, I beg you, for the love of all that is holy, Christ and his salty crackers... Stop being assholes about your political beliefs - and keep them to yourself, where they belong!
edit on 21-8-2012 by Gauss because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Gauss

Every time I see video clips of politicians giving their political speeches, I change the station. I can't stand hearing the lies, the spin, and when they talk around the issues. They don't have the average voters ear, only the ear from their political packs and lobbyists.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by WeRpeons

I do the same, my friend. Politics is a disease of lies and deceit, and I need none of it.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Gauss

I hereby nominate you as chairman of the "Live and Let Live" party!

When are these politicians going to realize that most people are just somewhere in the middle of the road? People are just getting so tired of all the political mud-slinging that we are becoming apathetic. It's gotten to the point where we don't care what they have to say anymore, to the point to where I've heard many people say they don't even plan on voting this year because all the politicians suck. The radicals on all sides have been allowed to run rampant, and I for one am just sick of all politics!

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by littled16

Hahaha, thanks, man. I've coveted that position for quite some time.

See, I agree with you, most people prefer the middle road, even if there is no middle road to take. But there are some that don't. And that is alright too. The thing that unleashed this post from me was related to the Akin or Atin or whatever his name is, guy's comment. I posted an article about it on my Facebook, saying specifically, "Politics...". It incited a debate, and one of my FB friends was for abortions and another was against it.

So, here was my dilemma. This guy, a friend of mine who I trained Krav Maga with in Springfield, Mo, during my stay there - a good friend, I might add, and a really nice guy, but born and raised in the Bible Belt with all that comes with that - said something that made me cringe inside. Most of what he said was acceptable - not something I agreed with - but acceptable. Then he mentioned that Akin was right in that most women require arousal to conceive.

Now, I like to think we all know that is wrong (and if somebody disagrees, I respect that, and I will not debate it with you.)

But, instead of making an enemy of a good friend by taking the discussion and trying to inform him of his being wrong, I decided, you know what? This is a good time to save everybody's egos instead of making enemies. So, I removed the article, and by doing so, retained two good friends and avoided a debate turning into a #storm of hostility on my Facebook.

What I'm saying is - it's not the end of the world that he believes that to be true. Obviously, I don't agree with it - but nobody is going to die from him being misinformed. Nobody is going to die from his wish to ban abortions. Most importantly, it's simply not worth it to lose a friend over politics, or in this case, misinformation. Take a step back, and ask yourself - is it really worth it? No? Then just - let - it - be.

Go to the fridge, grab a beer, cool down, and find something that makes you laugh instead. You'll feel a lot better than when you struggle with the frustration of a political debate, trust me. If everybody focused on living their lives with a smile on their lips instead of winning politically, I dare say this world would be much better off.
edit on 21-8-2012 by Gauss because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Gauss

As far as im concern Politics has always divided us

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by BacknTime

An unfortunate truth, dude. But don't you feel it's time for that to change?

Think about it. Would you rather make a new friend, or a political enemy? That's all there is to it, really. And if you can't agree with somebody, no big deal. Sidestep them, walk out of their lives. Completely painless.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Gauss

I hear ya! As a woman born and raised in the bible belt I hear some of the craziest beliefs people have that you could imagine! Sometimes you just have to take the high road.

People are going to believe what they want to believe, and I support their right to believe whatever they want- agree or disagree. There are people you can debate intelligently with and then there are "others". It's not worth risking what is otherwise a good friendship over topics you disagree on. Sometimes it's better to "let sleeping dogs lie".

All politics does is divide people.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by littled16

I agree wholeheartedly! That is exactly what politics do.

And what really warms my heart is, even people with such beliefs - as I am sure during my stay there I encountered many people who shared this man's belief, though I didn't realize it - are also quite nice people, as long as you don't talk politics. I found during my stay in Missouri, that the people in the infamous Bible Belt were actually just awesome, polite, and really friendly people. Would that have changed if I talked politics with them? Probably - so why would I?

new topics

top topics

join