My Dog ( best friend) just died in my arms

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   
I literally feel your pain. I probably couldnt pick his toys up for months without crying a river.

2000 dollars? Wtf? That sounds criminal....did they make you pay upfront or what?

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   
So sorry for your loss
I can relate and know the pain you're in. I lost 2 of my dogs this past year.

Heidi 1997-2011
Jack 1998-2012

I had them since they were puppies. Again so sorry for your loss.
edit on 21-8-2012 by Neopan100 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by isitjustme
He was acting like he didn't feel well last Friday morning so I took him to the vet. they ran a bunch of tests and $2,000 later I had to put him down.

He was my best friend and really the only friend I had in this town. He has been with me thru a divorce and two back surgeries. We moved from our hometown to try and get a fresh start...and we did.

He was always so glad to see me when I got home from anywhere as I was to see him.

They originally told me had had pancreatitis but when he wasn't better after 3 day on an I.V. they told me he had pancreatic cancer.

My heart hurts so badly right now that I don't know what to do. I feel more alone than I think I ever have. I need to bring myself to pick up all his toys and put away all of his things but can't seem to do it yet.

It has been he and I against the world for so long and now it's just me. I know many of you will say "it's just a dog" and feel sorry for you. If you think he was just a dog then you have never felt the unconditional love of a pet.

I did everything I could do to make him better but it wasn't enough. Life can be so cruel sometimes.

I'm sorry but I didn't read your story, I just wanted to say I understand I've been there. It's no different to losing a parent, sibling, spouse or best friend. My thoughts are with you x

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   
That's hard. Hang in there, mate. What a beautiful eulogy you wrote for your best friend, I can tell he was a heckuva guy.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Aww man, cyber hugs to ya, and may time help ease the pain. I've got my first dog now and she is 5. When I really think about the inevitable day, tears form and fall down my cheeks. I don't know how the hell I will handle it, but I too will probably come here to share the story. I am always happy to see how many ATS members chime in with their love and support when these tragedies strike. I don't know what else to say other than be grateful for the time you had with him. As another member suggested, maybe doing some volunteer work at a shelter could redirect some of the pain, and you may meet some friends as well, but still.....this is a process that must be endured, so stay strong friend.

teary eyed,
spec

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by isitjustme

Having been an animal lover all my life. I truly understand the pain you are going through right now. I lost the best friend I ever had back in '99 and still can't bring myself to talk about it.

So let me ask,what did your dog give you? Unconditional love right?He gave of his time and attentions to you because he deeply cared for you.

Now its your turn to do the same. after your done grieving for him.It will be his legacy here.As he did for you, you will repay back to another. You need to let yourself grieve for him just as you would a family member.Because he was your family and you can never 'replace' him.But you can honor his love by loving another when its time.
Time is ticking for my dog right now. Hes over 17 years old and the best dog I ever had.
He was found dodging traffic on a busy highway.He had been running for so long that he had no nails.His face was torn up and his ears,I've never been sorry not one day that I got him.Hes been a loyal sweet kind mellow friend to me.I've always said that he would have made a great little girls dog. You could dress him up and hold him like a baby and he never protested one bit.

It will grieve me terribly when I have to say good bye to him.I know that day is coming,but I don't want it to.
In time I will give my love to another dog that is as deserving (aren't they all?) And I'll bury my friend in our pet cemetery where I can go and put flowers on his grave.But please God don't make it too soon.I'm not ready yet to let him leave me.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 08:25 PM
link   

I'm so sorry to hear you've lost your dog. I lost one of my guys this past May. It really is a hard thing to experience.

I want to share a thought with you that provides a bit of comfort to me, and it goes something like this: My dog, Reo, was given 11 years on this planet. Period. There is nothing I could have done to change that, it was simply beyond my control. So, the question for me is, did I do everything I could to make sure he had the best 11 years he could have? Did I love him, care for him, entertain him, teach him, and then love him again for all of those 11 years? If I did, (and I did), then there is nothing to feel guilty over, and nothing to really feel badly about, except for missing him so very much. I got to spend his 11 years with him, and that was a true gift. I did right by him, as I'm sure you did for your dog. Both our dogs just ran out of time, but they ran out of time with people who loved them and saw them through right until the end. There is strong beauty in that.

Take good care of yourself!

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   

I feel your pain - to the point that tears are rolling out. I am thinking of you and your friend and I am reminded of my beautiful cat - who just like you - died in my arms. She did not like to be picked up but was affectionate however as her kidneys failed and I told the vet to help her out of her pain - she curled up into my arms like she had never done in the ten years we were together.

I cried and cried and my heart broke and fell out of my body. I really do feel your pain. My cat would sit with me as I struggled to study - while an ex attempted to destroy my life. Her photographs are on the kitchen bench so I see her everyday. On the day she passed I thought I would clean her bowl and set up the bowls in a new arrangement - for my other pets. As I wiped the bowl it flipped out of my hands and landed upside down in her regular place.

I knew she was telling me it was okay to let her go. I feel your pain and so do many others - so don't feel that you are alone with your grief. Take one day at a time - a few minutes at a time if that works for you. I found a beautiful website that helped me a lot. Look for the Rainbow Bridge - it celebrates the love and faith we receive from our companions. We can never replace our companion with another but in time you may want to love again - know that one day another beautiful animal will appreciate your care.

Much Peace...

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by isitjustme
My heart hurts so badly right now that I don't know what to do. I feel more alone than I think I ever have. I need to bring myself to pick up all his toys and put away all of his things but can't seem to do it yet.

It has been he and I against the world for so long and now it's just me. I know many of you will say "it's just a dog" and feel sorry for you. If you think he was just a dog then you have never felt the unconditional love of a pet.

I did everything I could do to make him better but it wasn't enough. Life can be so cruel sometimes.

Choked up reading your post.
Losing a family member is always so damned hard. Though I don't know you, I know your pain too well. This is certainly the part of life that is the worst, saying goodbye sucks. Time will take the edge of your pain off eventually, it always does. As the days become weeks, then months and years it will get easier for you. There will come a day when you'll be able to look back, without the pain of loss, at your little friends life and truly appreciate his gift of friendship to you. For now though, leave the toys where they are and grieve.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   

I understand, I have never had a dog that was not my bestest buddy and it leaves a hollow when they go.
Just know that your best buddy is beyond trouble and pain, he is happy and sure of your safety, he is sniffing butts and running full out like he could only do as a puppy before.
The only advice I want to give you is, don't wait to allow another dog to rescue you.
This pic descibes it pretty well.

My heart goes out to you but I am happy for your dog as he has made a million new friends, some of them my previous best buddies, your pup is in good company.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   

I am so sorry for your loss. Many people cannot understand how devasting the loss can be.
It gets better with time though. Cherish the memories.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   
well if that story doesn't make you cry your a sociopath. I'm so sorry for your loss. I've only had my pup for about 2 months and already I have such a strong bond with him. We ride together, we pee together, we stare at bitches. He even comes to work with me. Hope you can move past the feelings of despair soon.. Hang in there bud

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   
I am sitting here like an idiot bawling my eyes out too.

OP it hasn't been long since I was posting about my dog here at ATS and all these wonderful folks came out to let me know that I was not alone.

Now you are not alone.

They let me know that they were there for me.

Now we are here for you.

I felt like my heart had been ripped out, and then had some folks (not here) tell it that it was JUST a dog. They were wrong. It's never just a dog. You won't get any of that ignorance here.

I hope that one day you will be able to open your heart and your home to another friend. We are talking about it now, and if you would have asked me a few months ago....I would have said NEVER again. So it does get more bearable every day. Some days might feel like you took two steps back, but one day you will get there.
edit on 8/21/2012 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   
I'm extremely sorry for you, OP.
I just lost a companion of my own back in May. She was a golden retriever that was my neighbor's for the longest time and she was with me for the awkward teenage years of my life. When the neighbors left and moved to Colorado, they left her with us and so we got to take her in. We've had her for years and she was only eight in May when she died (untimely if you ask me ) . It started out with a breast tumor that we spent around $500 to have removed and we thought she would be okay. But another grew right behind where the first one was. We didn't have much faith in getting another taken in at that point because she was passing small amounts of blood in her stool and starting to have diaarhea quite frequently.

About another three weeks and she was gone. She was dripping blood one afternoon and we went away and returned that evening. She was lying on the back porch on the cement with a puddle of blood almost as big as she was behind her. We put a blanket over her and brought her a dish of water but she wouldn't drink anything. She kept trying to get up but just didn't have the strength. My mother and I cleaned up the blood mess and then sat with her petting her telling her how sorry we were that we couldn't help her and telling her she was a good dog and we loved her. I sat with her for about another hour until it was getting dark and I was told to get inside because me sitting there all night wouldn't change anything. I shook her paw (that was always how she wanted to show affection, paw shakes, not kisses. She was too intelligent and dignified for that) and gave her a kiss on the head telling her I loved her and goodbye.

I checked on her the next morning and she was gone. I cried over her and pet her for a while and then covered up entirely with the blanket. That was one of the hardest things I've ever had to go through, especially after losing my grandfather just a year before. That dog was one of my best friends and I still can't help but cry now while reciting the story.

Dogs aren't just dogs, they're best friends and loyal companions. They seem to understand us better than other people and you have my full condolences.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Dude, that's the worst. My baby girl Phaedra died in my arms too. She was a border collie, she had been hit by a huge truck going way too fast.

Really not a fun time, sorry man.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 11:26 PM
link   

I'm sorry for the loss of your companion.

It is my belief that all dogs go to Heaven.

You did what you had to do.

I don't know if this will help you, we had to wait a period of time but the pain just wasn't going away after having Odie for 15 of his 19? years.

In honor of his passing and to give some meaning to his death we again adopted a dog on death row. I figured, this would give his passing some meaning as another dog would be spared.

My son also adopted a shelter dog as well and for us, it gave meaning to Odie's leave.

Because when you adopt a shelter dog you really save that dog and also make room for one more dog to be saved.

We now have four cremains / urns in our closet as they will be mixed with and buried with our ashes.

I'm ready for bed and will say a prayer for you, hoping to ease your pain.

Your dog was lucky to have you because you sound like you cared about him/her?

At least your dog was loved.

Adopt, spay and neuter.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by g146541

That was beautiful.

So many dogs (and cats) have nobody to love them and end up nameless and thrown away like trash.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 11:38 PM
link   

You really are sweet.

Your fur baby got to sleep next to you............so many sleep on a blanket on a cold cement floor or in a alley.

Remember the good times and let the fact that you treated your beloved buddy so kindly as to share your bed with him.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 11:44 PM
link   
It's sad to hear that you lost your dog. I'm sure it appreciated the good life you gave it.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 11:47 PM
link   
I'm truly sorry for the loss of your precious dog. I know it hurts so much to have to put a special pet down when you know they are in such terrible pain. I had to put my Toy Fox Terrier down in July 2009. It really broke my heart to do this. He had a brain tumor and kidney disease. My husband & i both were holding him in our arms and we both were giving him kisses on both sides of his face while our tears were poring down our face when he passed away. I know our precious dog was happy that we both were there with him. We don't have children and our dog was like our child. He was 17 years old. I got him from the animal shelter when he was just 8 weeks old. He was so smart and so much fun to be around. I know it takes time to get adjusted and you will make it. It took my husband & i two years to get another dog and i still wasn't ready. If it wasn't for one of my husbands friends who could not spend alot of time with his 2 year old Jack Russell Terrier and wanted us to take him or he was going to give him up to the animal shelter and hope they would find a good home for his dog. I decieded that we would take him. He reminds me so much of my Toy Fox Terrier that he has won my heart and he is such a blessing to come along at the right time because everyday and i mean everyday i was crying my heart out. Its a terrible feeling to sit there and hold your precious pet and feel him take his last breath. Knowing good and well you tried everything to keep him alive and healthy, and they depend on their owner because they can't do for themselves like a human can do. But do remember this, your precious dog knew good and well you loved him and still do, and he knew you were hurting because he was sick but he was so very happy you were there holding him in your arms and he would have wanted you to be there. You were just as devoted to him as he was to you. All dogs go to HEAVEN and i truly believe it ! I believe your precious dog would want you to get another dog when the time is right for you and he would want you to give that dog as much love and attention as you gave him when he was alive. I hope you will be feeling better soon.

new topics
top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join