It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Room Temp Superconductor discovery and suppression?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   

A private researcher, Joe Eck, has claimed to have made a discovery in the field of superconductors -- materials that have zero electrical resistance. He claims to have found a copper-oxide compound that is not only superconductive, but shows signs of superconductivity at room temperature -- a potential "Holy Grail" of science.

The benefits of a technology like this one could be huge. Room temperature superconductors could revolutionize our civilization. They could allow for efficient maglev trains, smaller electric motors, new electronic components, low loss power transmission, more powerful electric motors, and new medical devices. The applications are almost endless. Everything from power production, medicine, transportation, and electronics would be impacted. A practical room temperature superconductor could be worth billions of dollars.

article

If your not familiar with the quest for room temperature super conductors, here's a brief synopsis:

The current paradigm has superconducting materials, which allow electricity to flow with little to no friction, existing only at very low temperatures.

As of 2009, the highest-temperature superconductor (at ambient pressure) is mercury barium calcium copper oxide (HgBa2Ca2Cu3Ox), at 135 K and is held by a cuprate-perovskite material,[17] which possibly reaches 164 K under high pressure.[18]
from wikipedia.

164 K = -109 celcius. That's pretty cold, too cold to be practical for use.

Now, here's another wrinkle to the story. From Eck's site, superconductors.org

On December 6, 2011, Superconductors.ORG announced the discovery of the first true room temperature superconductor (Tl5Pb2)Ba2Mg2Cu9O17+. Since that discovery created worldwide interest from thousands of people, this report is being written to share what progress has been made in bringing this discovery to market.

Below is a partial list of those who were contacted and their response.

Dupont: No response. No courtesy reply.
Dow Chemical: No response. No courtesy reply.
Motorola: No interest.
Bell Labs/Lucent: No response. No courtesy reply.
United Technologies: No response. No courtesy reply.
MRI Global: No interest.
Honeywell: No response. No courtesy reply.

U.S. Dept. of Energy: No interest. No response.
Obama White House: No response despite 3 requests to intervene with the D.O.E.
Los Alamos National Superconductivity Lab: No interest.
Oak Ridge National Laboratory: No interest.
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory: No response. No courtesy reply.
Brookhaven National Laboratory: No interest.
NASA: No response. No courtesy reply.
(NASA researches gravity mitigation using superconductors)

Princeton University: No response. No courtesy reply.
University of Wisconsin: No response. No courtesy reply.
Florida State University: No response. No courtesy reply.
California Institute of Technology: No response. No courtesy reply.
University of Houston: No response. No courtesy reply.
University of California San Diego: No response. No courtesy reply.
etc.

Conclusion: Since scientists have been searching for room temperature superconductivity for most of the last 100 years, this lack of interest is inexplicable. Such pervasive apathy is totally inconsistent with the U.S.' role as a technology leader. This may be the first time in American history that a discovery of profound potential has been completely stifled by equally profound indifference.
news from eck

Not sure how genuine the discovery is, but if true it has huge implications.

Seems like research institutions/businesses would jump on it....

Something isn't adding up.

Insight?

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   
If this is a possibility then the singularity is at hand!

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Doesn't Graphene exhibit superconductive properties, especially when doped?

I'm sure I've read one of it's properties is an almost negligible electrical resistance.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I think this is more inline with people saying they know of or how to make a perpeputal motion machine.

It's just not going to be real until it's shoved in everyone's face. Or until Al Gore said it's good for the planet.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

S & F
posting to keep a head up

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   
maybe this has already been vetted and did not attain the results as reported. or it has already been confirmed, and is now designated top secret. all of those showing "no interest" could only mean one of the other is true. there would be too much profit to be made to ignore this.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Its all about profit. This would mean free energy for all. Stagnation of technology allows certain powers to milk every penny out of so called "advances". Cars could run on water and solar panels. But big oil won't have it. Its not really about taking care of Earth. There are dozens of free energy devices that have been suppresed. Its about the bottom line.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by PatrickGarrow17

Good post S+F.

I think that it is entirely possible to find a superconductor at room temperature... Chemical states are predictable but also somewhat infinite no? I mean basically, somewhere at some time there exists some compound with superconductive properties Y at (room) temperature X.

the chances may be small in just stumbling onto something, but I am no chemist even though I know there are many out there who probably know a great deal in what they are doing.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Finally a real conspiracy on ATS. Bravo.

What this guy should do since the powers that be seem to have wrapped things up nicely, is release all his info to the world so that all can replicate his experiments and thus flood the public with this knowledge. Better yet, he should develop devices that use this technology and sell them for just what it takes to produce them. Get them into the peoples hands on a mass scale and they won't be able to suppress it any longer.

This is what the fascist government of the USA and their corporate partners are afraid of. This could be the thing that takes away their power and puts it back into the hands of We The People.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Here is the problem. If I know how to make really good cupcakes, someone can take my cupcakes away from me, copies of the recipe, etc... But I still know how to make them.

Once the recipe is out, other people will learn how to make them.

I don't buy stories like this...

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Showing interest might drive competition and increase price. Either the other companies have already discovered it and have not shared what they have figured out, or they could be told to NOT be interested so that the current companies do not lose money on what has already been in use, i.e. power and control between government and corporations.

Or everyone is waiting to see if there will be a future to look forward to before planning on spending on something they may not have a chance to use??

Just throwing thoughts out there.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   
There. Is no way. To patent the technology, as it is against U.S. patent rules to patent a perpetual motion device. This is essentially the same thing, so the only option would be like the above mentioned, worldwide disemination of said technology free to all.

At that point the "singularity" would in fact be upon us.

Life would change over night, as everyone would build "free" energy devices, cutting out the corp. Big wigs "crap heads" from the equation permenantly.

Most of the electriicity generated by any "known" device is lost in transmission, due to heat generated by resistance " ohms" in the circuit.

We would be talking smart phones faster than super computers, and running weeks from a single battery.

I studied computer and electronic engineering ( didn't get to finish) this was always talked about as the holy grail.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   

What if in another universe, maybe larger than this one, we realized all of the witchery and invention and impossible imaginable, but we grew tired and morose and dispassionate in reply to a universe we knew too well. Almost all of the unknowns and thrills were extinguished. In time, we withdrew into our current reality, away from the previous; from its knowing. This universe we live in, with all its beauty and immensity, is a playground where we forget our past and drown in blissful ignorance.

Maybe this is called Chaos. And the other place is called Unity. We, the spirits of the damned, were driven to leave Unity because of our inability to live in peace and to live with the knowing.

Welcome to Chaos, the home of exiles, criminals and other malcontents.
edit on 21-8-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   
SUPERCONDUCTORS ARE NOT FREE ENERGY DEVICES!!!

There now that that's said....

I find this perplexing that no one is even willing to check this guy's story out considering the immense technological implications this could have. Including energy storage devices maglev trains and etc. Not to mention if it's cheap enough replacing wiring in say data centers with it eliminating line losses.

Hopefully this guy is actually onto something, and if he is I think he should contact a guy called Lonnie Johnson. Lonnie Johnson invented the Super soaker and a solid state heat engine called the JTEC. I bet you Lonnie would be interested and capable of helping this guy get funding etc to perfect his work. The company is called Johnson Electromechanical systems.

I wish this guy the best of luck something like room temperature super conductors could be a game changer and just what we need to reawaken the economy.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Nothing about the source site looks legitimate. I'd be surprised if any of the uninterested companies/universities even got past the landing page.

Over 2,057,790 Super people have found this Index page since July 2, 1999.

If this page wants to be taken seriously they have to do better than that. Sorry, but as a Designer it's the first thing I see...

What they're saying about....SUPERCONDUCTORS.ORG
"A very professional website...both in content and aesthetics."
- Jim Ashburn (Member of the UAH team that discovered superconductive YBCO in 1987.)

professional aesthetics?

edit on 8/21/2012 by RedParrotHead because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   
When understanding superconductors, it's important to know that the cause of the advantageous properties of these materials are largely unknown. The first super conductor was discovered in sort of an accident, and sense then it has been a trial and error process.

A practical room temp superconductor is similar to perpetual motion in that an electrical current could run through a circuit limitlessly, losing no energy to friction.

Similar to giving an object a slight nudge in a vacuum and watching it glide forever.

I'm inclined to say that the discovery on this particular site was at best overstated. Indications are that the material was produced in very low quantity and the experiment was difficult to repeat.

As far as the economic implications, a realized room temp superconductor would have plenty of profit potential and economic activity could easily increase as designs are refined and it is applied to a wide range of products. Everyone wouldn't have the resources to engineer the material, plenty of potential for exploitation.

When electricity was discovered and harnessed, all it did was increase industrial profit. Same with the combustion engine. Most likely it will be the same for any significant advancement in technology. There's always the option of slowly releasing improved models, similar to today's computer industry or pharmaceuticals.

A patent for this "holy grail" would ultimately be worth billions, and with that patent a corporation could monopolize almost any industry. The corporate potential would exceed Standard Oil by a long shot.

Suppression may lie not in the end of profiting off the masses, but more toward an impossible overhaul in infrastructure and economy. A lot of jobs would be lost in less advanced manufacturing.
edit on 21-8-2012 by PatrickGarrow17 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Why no interest from the big boys? Perhaps because they did not provide any evidence that they really had what they say they had. No peer reviewed work, etc.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

If I were a scientist working on a huge society changing breakthrough, I probably couldn't help but wonder if I were being surveilled...

This guy had been working with superconductors for a long time...

Government wouldn't need to answer him if they watched him do it and confirmed results. Big companies have the capacity to do this as well.

Not saying this is what actually happened here, but surveillance must be an aspect of sceintific research.

Really, scientists probably record everything they do anyway and if on computer it's most likely not an impossible hack, so even if live surveillance weren't on the scientist, results could be reviewed after the fact.
edit on 22-8-2012 by PatrickGarrow17 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 05:22 AM
link   

Its more like a huge spiritual leap that humanity needs, on the tech side i think we have it down and done!

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by andy06shake

The two will hopefully come together. I think it would be a shame if humanity never breaks through and makes space exploration a bigger part of our civilization.

top topics

join