It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Leaked Report Cites Possible Atoll Collapse

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 05:54 AM
link   
The story in itself is old, I get that. im just throwing it out here because I have never heard of this. It would appear that the story just recently resurfaced so I threw this together for others like me who had no idea this was an issue.

The report states that the French have kept the fact that the island was sinking under wraps due to the 181 nuclear tests done on the atoll over the course of the French nuclear development program spanning the course of decades.

The French government, since 2010, has kept secret that Mururoa Atoll, the site of French nuclear testing in the Pacific, is in danger of collapsing, according to Mururoa e Tatou (MET), the Nuclear Association in French Polynesia.

The danger it would seem is the pure radioactive nature of the island at this point. The fear is that the sinking of the island would be catastrophic to the ocean in the surrounding areas to marine life and possibly human life. Not to mention the possibility of water displacement in the way of a tsunami that would further jeopardize the surrounding islands.

Officially, France has conducted 181 nuclear test explosions in Mururoa. There are about 150 holes containing very dangerous levels of radioactivity. The Nuclear Association stated if the atoll were to collapse it could also trigger a 15 meter-high tsunami. The association wants independent experts to be allowed to conduct a study to provide more information about the danger of the atoll collapsing.

Apparently the French while testing dug the usual holes deep into the atoll for the purpose of testing, only one got stuck? Yea...they detonated one that wasn't at the full depth for minimal safe distance. Resulting in a crack in the atoll that probably intiated the start of the sinking. Now the sinking is visable to those that know of the island and due to the burried radioactive material of the island, any collapse would mean the dillution and dispersal of the said material into the surrounding areas. Like we didn't have enough to worry about with Fukushima.

A major accident occurred on July 25, 1979 when a test was conducted at half the usual depth because the nuclear device got stuck half way down the 800 metre shaft. It was detonated and caused a large submarine landslide on the southwest rim of the atoll, causing a significant chunk of the outer slope of the atoll to break loose and causing a huge tsunami. The blast caused a 2 kilometre long and 40 cm wide crack to appear on the atoll.

I smell a cover up of the French odor......

“If you go onto the atolls, Mururoa, which we did about six months ago, you’re going to find out that one big part of the atoll when you take the road that goes around the island, one big part of the atoll is under the water. The road you can only drive to a certain limit and the road’s in some places is two metres under the water. And you can see when you look over the sea you can see all these cracks in the coral for a few metres. And we imagine that under the water it will be worse. So that’s what we have seen. And we cannot even take one little spore, one coral from Mururoa because the authorities do not permit that. So to us we already knew that from the very beginning when some of the scientists had done some research here. Jacques Cousteau already in those days, we’re talking about gas leaking, and we’re talking about a crack in the ocean, in the atoll. We have been coming out with those elements all the time, and the French authorities has been saying to us for many years that you should not worry about it, that we are looking after the atoll and everything is alright. But we find out that they have been lying to us for that many years…” (Mr. Oldham in an interview to Radio Australia on March 15, 2011

Granted its an old story in its full scope and Im not in Aussie land so im not sure if the locals of the area are aware of such a story. Still its the first I have heard of it. i mean I was aware that they used the islands for testing and not just the French, but everybody. Yet this is the frist time I have heard of such lasting effects long after they stopped doing so.

Can the Pacific really take this kind of hit on top of what has already been occuring? How would this equate into the die offs? I do not really think that our ocean needs more nuclear material deposited into the water. The fact that they tried to keep it hushed for so many years just goes to show that they were fully aware of what they did and what possibly is to come next.

Im sure the jury is still out on what is causing the massive marine die offs..still just to note...it was a horrible year for fishing in Alaska. Could this be the start of seeing the ramifications of actions past? It is very apparent that we at the very least are inheriting a legacy of shortsighted ideas. It is my belief that this will not only effect the islands, but most of the Pacific as well.

Sources are from: The Watchers
Radio Australia
EneNews

And for added info: IAEA

edit on 21-8-2012 by Kastogere because: Whoopsie

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 07:37 AM
link   
No one else ever consider this as a possibility from nuke testing in the Pacific?

Everyone else knew but me huh? i need to get out more...

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 08:02 AM
link   
and yet another source of radioactive garbage,
in addition to all the ancient, leaking and
failing nuclear reactors in the US

to be blamed on the fukushima psyops

S&F

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   
That's not including the nuclear waste and decommissioned subs from Russia:
en.rian.ru...
Whats the future of our oceans and seas?
They die, we die, earth dies.
Death by a million cuts.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Toadmund
That's not including the nuclear waste and decommissioned subs from Russia:
en.rian.ru...
Whats the future of our oceans and seas?
They die, we die, earth dies.
Death by a million cuts.

yes, thats it exactly...also consider the ocean evaporating into the atmosphere and raining this garbage down on our foreheads, and on our crops, water tables....

Total contamination....if we keep down this path..climate change wont matter...we'll be good as dead anyway.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Kastogere

That's the thing though, who can really say? Whilst i think we all agree that nuclear radiation waste is not a good thing for us, it may lead to unexpected DNA mutations for any survivors (assuming worst case for the purpose of this thread).

Evolutionary science is showing us that the most rapid and successful mutations have occurred when the Earth has been heavily bombarded by cosmic radiation - perhaps nuclear radiation will have a similar effect? Many would die horrible deaths but you never know, the survivors may have wings and the ability to teleport!

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

Actually i was going for an extra extremity.....as far as mutation goes....

But you also could be correct in that aspect...yet more often than not people who have had exposure to nuke radiation usually die over time. The radiation emitted by the sun is a whole diferent monster and a different type.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Very true. I was really just being devils advocate there as, (very) long term, we simply don't know. What we do know is that radiation exposure is a horrible way to die.

It isn't something i would like to exposed to. That said though that old woman that appeared in Fukushima prefecture after the tsunami, etc, simply amazed me last year. She was refusing to leave the area, despite mandatory evacuations as (in her words) she had already lived through Hiroshima (or Nagasaki, can't remember exactly). She was actually there when the bombs were dropped and was being amazingly blase about any threat from Fukushima - mind you, having lived through a nuclear explosion i guess she has the right to be as blase as she wants!

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Who cares? the Oceans are our dumping grounds for everything! Nuclear, Plastic, oil, rubbish, sewerage, hazardous waste, chemical waste, fertilizers, everything we make or produce. The oceans. Let's dump it.

I mean someone said there was only a 860 mile diameter sphere of water on earth. Who cares? Dump it! It's not like we need water to survive!

15 meter high tsunami is a worry though... I mean that water could come inland...
edit on 21-8-2012 by DaRAGE because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Strange thing when you look at the island on google maps. It looks like something was caught on the picture exploding sending up a large smoke plume.

It does not look volcanic its a island ring.
Picture of island ring for reference.

The left side is where the smoke plume is.
Google where the plum is seen. It looks like they tried to black it out.
maps.google.com...

Are they doing testing there still or again?

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   
So I take it we now have to worry about a nuclear tsunami too? Wouldnt that make a great cheesy catastrophe movie?

Its kinda scary to think that an atoll might split in half and not only create a possible tsunami, but also release nuclear waste everywhere. Well it just goes to show that the US is not the only country that has dark secrets.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   
looks like a bunch of countries I dont care about will be affected - haha

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by GenRadek

There is a fair amount of misconception about the danger posed by the phenomenon of radioactivity, which in this case is ABSOLUTELY INFINITESIMAL. There is a chance that radioactive material would leak into the ocean surrounding the atoll, but this would have a very small radius of effect (water is nearly 1000 times denser than air and therefore that much more effective at absorbing radiation).

Contrary to ideas put forth in this thread, radioactivity does not spread to surrounding matter unless some of the original radioactive material is suspended in it (like dust containing thorium getting stirred up in the surrounding water). Since radioactive material does not DISSOLVE in water, there is no chance that it would be caught in an ocean current and travel more than a couple miles from the source. Also, the idea of a "radioactive tsunami" is absurd because a wave does not transport matter, just energy.

The true danger in this event is that the French semi-intentionally detonated a bomb in the underlying structure of the island (not as deep as all the others that made it to "way too deep to effect the integrity of the structural support of the island"). Therefore, because of this blunder the island is no longer stable and might collapse. This is the only credible threat posed in this scenario. If it is a possibility at all, then it is a very grave threat which I praise the original-poster for bringing to our attention!
!!!

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   
the entire history of science is someone saying "Maybe we shouldn't do that" and than someone else immediately doing it.

Anyone remember the atmospheric detonations? they had no clue what that would do and did it anyway.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Dick Cheney's secret base?
Weapons test went wrong.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Here's my question:

Why the hell did all of these countries need to detonate so many #ing nuclear devices???

Insane.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   
This is disturbing and I do not remember hearing about it in 2010. Thank you for deciding to re-post this.

I cannot what would happen to our opens if this island does collapse. I hope those that are within reach of the possible tsunami are well prepared for such a tragedy.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Thanks for posting this, like you I had never heard of this. If you do a little research there are places all over the world that are radioactive or have the potential to do a lot of damage.

For example, Russia built this nuclear-powered lighthouses in the arctic/siberia to guide their ships during the cold war. Well, 50 or so years later they are unmanned and falling apart. People have broken into them and taken things making some unstable.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 01:25 AM
link   
heh what is the point of even testing it, its a sinking island what are they gonna do put balloons under it to keep afloat lol, + Fukushima+ gulf oil, Iraq oil, china oil collapses, and that doesn't even count nuke plants that have leaked and nothing said or done about it, and numerous other oil incidents that have taken place w barely any coverage that is why i don't eat any sea food unless it comes from some kinda farm, and even those you have to be careful because they can get diseases easier

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 01:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Soloro

Here's my question:

Why the hell did all of these countries need to detonate so many #ing nuclear devices???

Insane.

Perhaps it was to test the magnitude of the blast so they could get the right mix for the big boom! Seems plausible anyway.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join