It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

And now for something completely different: A cop doing his job.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   
That cop just schooled that kid!!

Those two were out looking for this encounter and they got it. Except they didn't get their viral video of a cop abusing their constitutional rights, they got a cop that knew the law way better than they did and put them in their place.

Good on him. That's the way cops should and do behave on a daily basis.

Good stuff officer.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   
I'm all for gun ownership but NOT these KIDS. With that behavior that's all I can call them, kids. I mean the kid sounded reasonably respectful but he also sounded obnoxious, patronizing and trying to get a reaction from these Cops. I mean he even tried to tell him where to park his freakin' car? Come on.

They are lucky the cop was totally sound.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I found myself rooting for the cop on this one. That kid just annoyed the hell out of me. I'm a big advocate of the 2nd Amendment, but that was just retarded.

I'm glad the cop had more patience than I would have had.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by rottenrascals
reply to post by VoidHawk

Oh absolutely, especially since bad cops get more publicity. No one cares about a good cop doing his job because he is supposed to, but if he steps out of lines reporters will be all over that.

It's kind of a self fulfilling prophecy, we expect cops to be bad so they act like that because they think they have to.
Two years of study and the ability to end life? Something there isn't right.

Good or bad, if a policeman steps out of line, what do you expect at the very least?

On the other hand, this is a bad policeman,

www.guardian.co.uk...

This is what Simon Harwood did, after launching himself at Ian Tomlinson who died elsewhere a short time later,

www.youtube.com...

With a record of violence as long as your arm before this action. His action in this case was filmed, and speaks for itself, the action of a thug, no less, so does the lack of concern on the part of those officers around him. He is still on the payroll, and still awaits an internal hearing in September 2012, he will likely be pensioned off with a recommendation for treatment for a personality disorder, or something aptly descriptive. He is in the matrix of the police force, and the reality is that he is being protected by that force, the same force that took him in ..twice, never mind other forces that he worked for. This how it works, and I don't doubt for a second that it is basically the same for those officers stateside.
edit on 21-8-2012 by smurfy because: Link.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   
For about 5 years I lived in Parma Ohio, a city notorious for police misconduct and outright abuse of it's citizens. My mother begs me not to move back. My possible soon to be mother in law has had her fare share of interactions with many of the officers and from her experiences she's gleemed a little bit into their police force. Yes, most of the officers in the city are horrible ego-centric twisted and maniacal freaks with badges. She herself remembers one of them raping her intoxicated friends years back then told her to shut up she liked it. But there are a few good apples on the "team" that struggle to keep their morality while being surrounded by thugs on the force. These few good apples actually face ridicule and belittling by the corrupt majority, something she has actually witnessed. It's hard to comprehend what it's like to be surrounded by criminals with badges faced with the abuses they commit and fearing the backlash of the rest of the force if you try to shed light on it, maybe for the fear of being taken off the street so one more corrupt asshole to take your place. For those good apples I salute you. I know you are out there in the minority.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by UnaChispa
I found myself rooting for the cop on this one. That kid just annoyed the hell out of me. I'm a big advocate of the 2nd Amendment, but that was just retarded.

I'm glad the cop had more patience than I would have had.

I looked at other video on this open carry thing, It seems that a lot of these carriers are 'Open carry' activists, but it's hard to say if this is the case here, but possible, given that it was a rifle being humped about. It seems to me that the idea, (which is I presume to make a neighbourhood safer) is fatally flawed for a number of reasons, (1) it scares people into making reports to police, with a subject obviously being detained and inspected, and (2) ammo on one hip and a viable weapon on the other. Upshot is, it has to be the most stupid idea in the world, and the one who is eventually going to get duffed up, either by police or criminals...is the carrier, AKA he/herself, and maybe killed by their own gun.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by rottenrascals

At first I was like WTF? This is your typical Ahole! But I watched it till the end (in spite of the wind lol) and yeah he dealt with THIS just fine, I have no issues with the interaction whatsoever...

Unfortunately though policing is a wider issue than how this one cop dealt with this one situation.

The real root of the problem is that ALL policemen/women will "just follow orders". So if they are sent in to "investigate" or arrest someone for a non crime (or a totally BS "law", that shouldn't be), they'll do it regardless. Some even love it!

Then you have the power trip element to the whole thing...

To sum up just because this copper dealt with this matter in a reasonable and forthright manner, doesn't mean he's a good cop. Because there is no such thing! A goop cop would be a sacked cop pretty damn quick!

You can say, "well they don't make the rules they just enforce them", but I'm sorry that doesn't fly with me...

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   
I would like to extend my gratitude to the officer in the OPs video.

Originally posted by HomerinNC
Those guys were out there LOOKING FOR TROUBLE, they were looking to be loudmouths, and try to provoke the LEO into something, they failed tho. They were lucky they encountered that cop, anyone else probably would have laid em out.
Honestly, they would have had it coming to them...come on, who walks around with a damn MP5, it's an assault weapon, semi auto or not

And extent my disdain to this playground security rep. ^^

No matter if they know it or not, the kids were supporting a good cause exercising our second amendment rights in a time when it seems like everything is an attack on it. A civilian is free to be as insulting as he likes, an officer of the law is held to a higher standard because he is performing a public service. It's not in the officers job description to respond to personal insults by using his authority, that kind of person shouldn't be a LEO. If an officers uses his position to "lay someone out" because he was insulted then he needs to be fired from whatever mall hes working at. LEOs are for protecting and serving the public, not assaulting them.

Originally posted by Swizzy
I'm all for gun ownership but NOT these KIDS. With that behavior that's all I can call them, kids. I mean the kid sounded reasonably respectful but he also sounded obnoxious, patronizing and trying to get a reaction from these Cops. I mean he even tried to tell him where to park his freakin' car? Come on.

They are lucky the cop was totally sound.

These kids are old enough to serve in the military, they are old enough to open carry. If you want to change one, change the other too. Who does the fighting for this nation? That's right... kids. Go to any basic military training base and you'll see cadets that look just like these guys, if not even younger. Some of them may be in combat situations in a matter of a few months.
edit on 21-8-2012 by RSF77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by mee30

One good deed does not make a good man. Completely agreed.

But when we live in a world where we are constantly reminded how terrible most law enforcement officers are, it's nice to see one that actually abides to the laws he enforces.

Maybe this was just the one time, and in reality he beats down kids for skateboarding, but this one time shows me that at least some of them have some humility left. Even if it is temporary.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by JayFlores

Whoops that would be my mistake. I'll be honest, my knowledge of guns comes from call of duty. All sub machine guns are MP5s, all burst guns are M16s and all Fully auto rifles are AK-47s.

I have failed you

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   
I don't know why people are carrying around guns that look like automatic weapons. They can scare other citizens. I'd rather carry around a pistol that won't scare people. One of these days someone with a gun is going to see one of these guys like this as they go to move their gun and shoot them. People who flaunt guns like this are looking for attention. I'd be embarrassed to own a gun that looks like that and have it be a 22.

I come from an area where a lot of the cops are good people. I wonder what even a good cop here would do if someone around here was carrying that kind of gun in public.
edit on 21-8-2012 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Well the general consensus seems to be that they were posturing and trying to provoke a fight. Right off the bat he tries to target the cop as the bad one by loudly shouting how he shouldn't be stopping traffic.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by rottenrascals
reply to post by mee30

One good deed does not make a good man. Completely agreed.

But when we live in a world where we are constantly reminded how terrible most law enforcement officers are, it's nice to see one that actually abides to the laws he enforces.

Maybe this was just the one time, and in reality he beats down kids for skateboarding, but this one time shows me that at least some of them have some humility left. Even if it is temporary.

That wasn't really my point though, I'm sure this copper doesn't beat kids down for skateboarding etc... BUT The point is if he is told to go stop some skateboarders he would. If he was told to go raid a house because they were taking some substances that the state doesn't like, he would!

If he was told to go fine people for not wearing a seat belt, he would!

Because lets face it, if he didn't do as he was told he would be sacked! And that goes for ALL coppers no matter how nice they are as a person, nor how nicely they deal with certain situations.

You see if coppers not were willing to enforce the BS laws then they wouldn't exist! They have a say in it, even if they do try to claim they were "just following orders"...

Personally I don't see how people can justify telling someone else how they should live their life! And even using FORCE against them to get them to comply (This wouldn't be acceptable in any other human interaction). Just as long as you don't hurt anyone or steal off anyone or infringe on other peoples rights, everything should go... Obviously I'm all for murderers being stopped and rapists being stopped and thieves etc... Although we live in a crazy world whereby stealing is against the LAW, unless you're called government! Murder is against the LAW unless you're called government! It's totally insane!

I live in the UK and I read an article not so long ago. It was talking about how the police that get into trouble basically are allowed to resign with NO blemishes on their record! This could be for anything! Then what happens is some of them just move area and reapply! There is no justice here! I could find the article if you like.

I have a problem with the system as a whole! I have a problem with the fundamentals of policing in general.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   
spare me

100's of thousands of cops do their job every day

get a clue

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Love it nothing like watching a cop stay calm and cool and totally school a smartass. This video reminded me of another classic old video.

Warning some bad language.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Yep...Kind of evident. I wonder if this video could have been staged as a police support video.

The majority of cops are just doing what they are paid to do, protect citizens. Sure there are some bad cops. Someone who participates in something illegal will many times have a bad attitude towards the police. Someone who dislikes the police will do things to promote the police to do something to them in public to gain public sentiment for their cause at times. And of course there are even good cops having a bad day and taking it out on someone who pisses them off. They are only human too. I will never classify all the members of an organization as being bad just because some are.
edit on 21-8-2012 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by mee30

Seems by your two posts you have issues with law enforcement.

First, they are doing what they are told. What they are told is to enforce the laws on the books. Don't like those laws? Get off your ass and do something about it. Run for office where you can make changes. Or do you just prefer to run your mouth on the internet?

Second, tell me something, where are tyhese jobs that one can take where they don't have to do what they are told when they want? I am curious cause it would be nice to have one of those jobs. It would be great to just do what you want and when your boss says i need you to do this....., I could just say ya, no, I don't want to.

Ya all of us just want to live our lives and have as little government intrusion as possible but to be a cohesive society and one that is guided by the Rule of Law, we need to have guidelines and limits. You obviously prefer the anarchist method of no rule. Leave the UK and start your own country and then you can be a free as you like to do whatever it is you want. Lots of examples out there...

en.wikipedia.org...

I'm sure you'll have all kinds of folks flocking to your nation to be free as you.

And lastly, regardless of what you think, the vast majority of cops are good people doing there job to the best of their ability. They are good cops. A lot of them. Most of them actually.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Wow. That cop just made those two look like stuttering dicks.

They were looking for a confrontation and were met with a polite constitution loving cop. There is hope for us yet, and that officer just made my day.

I usually dislike police because of personal encounters. I hope this one make chief.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   

It is good that you can accompany this with video. Typically the cop doing the right thing (or any professional) isn't under a spot light or being constantly video taped. That is called integrity and I believe that the large portion of each police force has such integrity.

An example I saw the other day. On the lower level of an airport, the public bus stop is there. There were two men sleeping on the benches. A police officer came up, very respectfully and very professionally and asked the gentleman if they were waiting for a flight or a ride. The first gentleman said no and the officer informed him that he needed to move along because he was taking up bench space intended for buses and coaches. The man shook the officer's hand and went on his way.

The second man was a bit more ragged and had no means of transportation or even to pay the $2 bus ride. The officer paid the next bus to take the man up to the travel center (where the local shelter was) and that was that.

The officer could have been a jerk and took the guy in for "loitering" or "trespassing" but instead help the homeless man out and getting him up to where the shelter was; with his own money.

There are good officers out there that are not aiming to exert their will of force it is just they do it day in and day out even when we are not looking and that is integrity and it is a shame that they are not recognized for it other than not ending up on a youtube video beaten the living hell out of a citizen.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 10:31 PM
link   
This is awesome, this officer needs to be training other officers all around the country. His demeanor and professionalism was impeccable as well as his ability to maintain control of the situation without resorting to a power struggle and ultimately violence. This situation could have gone south incredibly fast had it been any other number of police officers that don't know how to be professional and show at least fundamental respect to others.

the two guys in the video should have been floored at the officers professionalism and ability to handle the situation. They should have commended and thanked him for such a positive police-citizen interaction but they didn't which is a shame. I would have called the officers SO and told him what an amazing job he did.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join