It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are we heading for Extinction

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 03:54 AM
link   
Last week I posted a thread in the Science & Technology forum about information that could be stored in DNA sequences.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Since I wrote this thread, I now have some further information on this subject. There was an online article on the bbc news website this morning. It now claims to have stored the equivalent of 70 Billion copies of an unpublished book in DNA code.

"The total world's information, which is 1.8 zettabytes, [could be stored] in about four grams of DNA," said Sriram Kosuri, a senior scientist at the Wyss Institute and senior author of the paper, in a video presentation.

Four grams of DNA is quite a lot of weight in DNA terms, but when you think that contains all of the current worlds knowledge, that starts to really blow your mind.

The Harvard researchers stored 5.5 petabits, or 1 million gigabits, per cubic millimeter in the DNA storage medium. Because of the slow process for setting down the data, the researchers consider the DNA storage medium currently suitable only for data archive purposes.

The last sentence of the above paragraph has set me thinking a bit. If they have the capability of storing all the worlds knowledge in DNA, are they preparing for something? Imagine this scenario, the one where mankind is all but wiped out by some catastrophe. When it comes to rebuilding, they will have all this knowledge to start again using the information stored in this DNA.

Couple this with why did they build the millennium seed bank and you can't help but start to wonder. Are we really heading for some E.L.E?

Why would you suddenly need to store vast amounts of information unless something profound was on the horizon.

Maybe this post still belongs in Science & Technology, but I am starting to think otherwise. As we all know, we are not being told something. I need to investigate this further and report back.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 04:14 AM
link   
So what if our DNA came from the last bunch of people that were wiped out?
They didn't leave us much to go with huh, not even how to make a wheel. LOL
How do you suppose they would read the data if science labs were destroyedt? If this idea is possible and has been done before, we should be able to find pre-loaded DNA chips or seed banks already.
edit on 21-8-2012 by Parksie because: (no reason given)[/editby
edit on 21-8-2012 by Parksie because: (no reason given)
extra DIV

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 04:20 AM
link   
Wow things are really speeding up. Nice find, Does anyone with a more sound knowledge of genetics than I care to speculate on the possibilities of such a discovery? I'm not sure it would be used for an end of days scenario as I would imagine it would be a lot harder to retrieve the information post apocolypse, hell even getting info off a usb may be nearly impossible. Which would render the information un-usable until we reach a similar level of technology?

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 04:25 AM
link   
Remember that if we are all but wiped out, the survivors might die off anyway leaving us extinct and nobody knows that kind of life nature will throw at the planet while it rebuilds it's self. Perhaps it will be another wave of unintelligent dinosaurs. The Seed banks could be hidden for so many billions of years after us that they become well and truly lost after all the lands of mountains on top of them.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 04:58 AM
link   
It really does go to show how sophisticated the organic world is, to be able to do this. But then it also goes to show how sophisticated our technology has become, to be able to harness this.

I have to aggree with the above replies though, I think there would be much more suitable methods of archiving information for e.l.e. purposes. If ever there was an event, you would need to ensure that you cater for the fact that there may be no electricity, no technology, and nobody educated enough left to be able to retrieve the data.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 05:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by fossy

Maybe this post still belongs in Science & Technology, but I am starting to think otherwise. As we all know, we are not being told something. I need to investigate this further and report back.

"The researchers created the binary code through DNA markers to preserve the text of the book, Regenesis: How Synthetic Biology Will Reinvent Nature and Ourselves in DNA. The book was written by research team member George Church.

The True God rejection. Height of man's arrogance is to think that the creation of life falls under his domain now. Time is speeding up. Just over 100 years ago we all rode horses. Today, we are running to and fro and knowledge has advanced at an unprecented rate. If only your investigations would include seeking God for the Truth. The end of the Age is fast approaching, and Satan is given but a 'short time' to deceive the nations of Israel and the world which directly leads to God's final wrath. It is right there in that quote. Can you sense it? If so, and if you love Truth, you will seek Him Above before it is too late.

"The king will do as he pleases. He will exalt and magnify himself above every god and will say unheard-of things against the God of gods. He will be successful until the time of wrath is completed, for what has been determined must take place." Daniel 11:36

"He will oppose and will exalt himself over everything that is called God or is worshiped, so that he sets himself up in God's temple, proclaiming himself to be God." 2 Thessalonians 2:4

Jesus said that the temple of God is the body. Look again at the quote above. Book. Regenesis. Synthetic Biology. Reinvent Nature and Ourselves. Church. "will exalt himself over everything that is called God".

Ask Him if you love and value Truth, His Truth. You are right, you are not being told something.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 06:43 AM
link   
i hope so mankind is a parasite a cancerous growth mr anderson

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 06:44 AM
link   
Please contribute to the ongoing thread located

HERE

Closing

Thank you

Semper

top topics

join