Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Young Israelis Held in Attack on Arabs

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 02:20 AM
link   
I hesitated in posting on this as I was not interested in engaging in a "debate" on the conflict as a whole as it usually degenerates in to a deranged shouting match, but as no other member has posted it I felt it should be added to the record.

This happened on last Thursday evening in Jerusalem. From the NYTimes.

Seven Israeli teenagers were in custody on Monday, accused of what a police official and several witnesses described as an attempted lynching of several Palestinian youths, laying bare the undercurrent of tension in this ethnically mixed but politically divided city. A 15-year-old suspect standing outside court said, “For my part he can die, he’s an Arab.”

Two of the suspects were girls, the youngest 13, adding to the soul-searching and acknowledgment that the poisoned political environment around the Israeli-Palestinian conflict has affected the moral compass of youths growing up within it. “If it was up to me, I’d have murdered him,” the 15-year-old suspect told reporters outside court on Monday. “He cursed my mother.” The young man who was beaten unconscious, Jamal Julani, remained in the hospital.

www.nytimes.com...

This is from Ynet.

"In the middle of Shabbat they came and detained me for no reason," said the 19-year-old suspected of aggravated assault during a brawl in Jerusalem, in which a 17-year-old Arab man was seriously injured.

The mother of the child, who lives in near Jerusalem, said her son is "a good boy and a little naughty." The mother noted that her 13-year-old son "doesn’t hate Arabs at all. When he came home he told me about the incident and he was really terrified. He said that the boy who was injured also has a mother who is crying for him."

www.ynetnews.com...

Indeed I'm sure he doesn't hate Arabs, but the atmosphere created in Israel from the politicians, sections of the ultra-orthodox population make these kind of incidents inevitable. Children are great imitators, and they see members of their society calling for the deaths of Arabs and that they must be driven out, while Israeli politicians openly fear "Israeli-Arabs" (Palestinians) as a fifth column in their country who can not be trusted.

Israel needs to get its country in order, a just peace with the Palestinians or there will never be peace for their own civilians.
edit on 21-8-2012 by Peruvianmonk because: Added link

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 02:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Peruvianmonk

It is a terrible situation isn't it? The hate and apparent rage in both the Jewish and Arab kids is the worst part. That can't even be said to be a lifetime of hard experience and loss. The kids were taught this level of ugliness in many cases. Another generation brought up on conflict as a way of life.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 02:57 AM
link   
post removed for serious violation of ATS Terms & Conditions

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 03:06 AM
link   

people can criticise all they like...
but do you think that if a bunch of Palestinean kids had done something like this (and make no mistake, it's inexcusable) that they'd be hauled in and arrested?

...not so much, no.
They'd probably name a street in their honour instead.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 03:07 AM
link   
reply to post by binkman

POST REMOVED BY STAFF

This is not going to and should not happen. You cannot prevent ethnic cleansing by practicing in ethnic cleansing. It is Israeli governments who should be forced to the negotiating table by the UN to come to a just and co-operative based deal with a Palestinian state.

This latest incident is not isolated. Last Friday.

Six people have been injured after a fire-bomb was thrown at a Palestinian taxi in the West Bank. Israeli officials said there were indications that Israeli civilians were behind the attack, which took place near the Jewish settlement of Bat Ayin. Palestinian medics said those hurt were all members of one family, among them the driver and two young children.

www.bbc.co.uk...

The courting of the far right by the Israeli establishment will continue to fuel these kind of attacks. Just as in the US or France or anywhere else where mass violence is perpetrated by citizens those in positions of power spouting extreme rhetoric and engaging in violence bear some responsibility for acts such as these, not that they will ever accept this.
edit on Tue Aug 21 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 03:08 AM
link   

Yeah, I saw it on BBC but didn't mention it for the same reasons you stated.
This could be the start of major civil unrest in Israel, the hard core on the streets there are getting progressively more violent, they don't respect their own army or police and are constantly complaining about their rights to attack Muslims.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 03:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Awen24

people can criticise all they like... but do you think that if a bunch of Palestinean kids had done something like this (and make no mistake, it's inexcusable) that they'd be hauled in and arrested? ...not so much, no. They'd probably name a street in their honour instead.

Where? Can't happen in Gaza as there are no longer any Israelis settled there. The West Bank? Palestinians, if they were so inclined, would find it very difficult to attack any of the settlements due to the IDF and heavily militarized nature of the settlements, not to say that it has never happened. Israel? I'm pretty sure they would be arrested.

Naming streets in honor of individuals seen as heroes by their people and others see as terrorists is hardly a Palestinian made activity. Pretty much all nations practice in this.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 03:24 AM
link   
Of course the news reports when Israelis defend themselves. It's become so common place for Muslims to do so to us Jews that the only way a Muslim can make the news is by blowing up a busload.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 03:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by ApokalypsisRising
Of course the news reports when Israelis defend themselves. It's become so common place for Muslims to do so to us Jews that the only way a Muslim can make the news is by blowing up a busload.

Oh poor little Israelis, having to defend themselves from the people they keep caged up as second class citizens with no supplies or personal liberties.

All those houses your "people" demolish, are they in self defense too? What about the Palestinians your "people" evict and harm so they can build their illegal settlements.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 05:22 AM
link   
The Electronic Intifada lists other incidents of racial hatred in Israel.

In recent months there have been frequent reports of violent attacks and hate rallies against African migrants and refugees often led or incited by Israeli politicians. In March there was the mob attack by Jewish youths shouting “Death to the Arabs” on Arab workers at Malha Mall in southern Jerusalem. That mob attack was caught on video

electronicintifada.net...

Here is that video

Quite disgusting behavior and little response from the Israeli authorities. Why? Because many of them hold similar views or need those that do to hold the Netanyahu coalition together.
edit on 21-8-2012 by Peruvianmonk because: Spelling

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Finally Netanyahu has come out against what Ynet describes as a lynching.

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu condemned the lynching of an Arab youth by Jewish teens in Jerusalem on Tuesday. "This is something we cannot accept – not as Jews and not as Israelis," he said. "The State of Israel does not tolerate racism and the combination of racism and violence."

The victim, aged 17, is still hospitalized at the Hadassah Ein Kerem Hospital in serious condition. The prime minister said he had spoken to the hospital's director and inquired after the victims' condition. The prime minister made the statements before signing a treaty for the promotion of integration of Ethiopians in Israel and the prevention of racism and discrimination.

www.ynetnews.com...

Why doesn't he go and visit the boy and his parents? Why doesn't he actually show some solidarity with a citizen of Israel rather than issuing a few platitudes?

Update: The attack happened last Tuesday, not Thursday as was indicated in the opening post.
edit on 21-8-2012 by Peruvianmonk because: Update

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   
What!? Arabs are getting attacked instead of the being the attackers? Blasphemy!

Everyone knows entire middle east Arabs are always the aggressor.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Where? Can't happen in Gaza as there are no longer any Israelis settled there. The West Bank? Palestinians, if they were so inclined, would find it very difficult to attack any of the settlements due to the IDF and heavily militarized nature of the settlements, not to say that it has never happened. Israel? I'm pretty sure they would be arrested.

Where ? Here

And here

Israelis attacked on way to Jerusalem pub
www.ynetnews.com...

And here

Israeli man narrowly escapes lynch in Issawiya
www.ynetnews.com...

Here

Almagor head in ‘near-lynch’ situation on Mount of Olives
harhazeisim.org...

Here

Here

And if you do your research, you'd find dozens of more cases.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by gravitational

I was referring to Awens assertion that an Arab would not be arrested for these crimes. I am not so naive as to not recognize that violence is also committed against Jews in Israel for racial reasons.

The point is that it is down to Israel to compromise the most to achieve a peace to see a diminishing of the atmosphere where these kind of attacks are more likely to happen. The Israelis are the ones in the position of power, they have to be responsible for bringing about the main changes that will see to peace, not just for the Palestinians (both living in Israel and the West Bank and refugees abroad) but for Israelis as well.

Real positive peace is good for the normal everyday people, not so much for the leaders.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Awen24

people can criticise all they like...
but do you think that if a bunch of Palestinean kids had done something like this (and make no mistake, it's inexcusable) that they'd be hauled in and arrested?

...not so much, no.
They'd probably name a street in their honour instead.

WTF? They'd probably be shot by Israeli forces....

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by ApokalypsisRising

"It's not our fault!! God promised us the land, so we bulldozed their homes and have spent 60 years bulldozing MORE homes, and killing people when we see fit!! Why should WE be attacked?? WAAA WAA WAAAA"....

GTFOH

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Israeli teens would'nt dare do such a thing; how dare the Palestinian go to the shop to buy new clothes for Ramadam; it's his fault!

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   
It amazes me at times....How anyone can honestly suggest the fighting between the Arabs and Israeli's is one sided. I'm shocked by some suggestions that Palestinians never attack and murder Jewish Settlers. As if it's just a big shooting gallery for the Jews and the Arabs are just idiotic little children, incapable of fighting back and doomed to the ages without the help of the Liberal West.

Well... I have several dozen I can share to demonstrate how TWO SIDED the fighting is over there....and it truly is 2 sided. I don't even suggest the Palesitnians are the more aggressive. Not INSIDE the West Bank... Everyone there seems to know the score, and both sides work daily to raise the score of their own side.

Palestinian Massacres Family of Five in Their Beds (including Baby)

Hamas Websites jubilant for their heroic ‘Mujahid’. More derangement and depravity from the Religion of the Perpetually Oppressed by Zionist Rapists™, as a Palestinian massacres family of five in their beds:

Five members of an Israeli family were killed Friday night when a suspected terrorist broke into their home in the West Bank settlement of Itamar and stabbed them all to death.

According to police, the suspect broke into the house armed with a knife and stabbed the mother, father and three children, aged 11, three and a three-month-old baby.

..and this is hardly the first time it's happened at that Settlement.

Itamar is home to some of the West Bank’s most fervent settlers.

In 2002 a terrorist broke into the home of the Shabo family in Itamar and shot the mother, Rachel, in the back. Then he shot Zvi, 13, and Avishai, 5, also in the back. After that, Neria, 16, was also shot dead.

The terrorist climbed up from the valley and without even cutting it, simply trampled down the fence. First he approached the neighbors’ house but the dog began barking and he turned instead to the Shabo family’s home. They were among the settlement’s founders. Boaz, the father, a printer by profession, was not at home. The older children – Yariv, 17, and Atara, 15 – were also out, visiting friends.
Source

I'd leave such things out..but for the numerous claims that these things don't happen to and by both sides of the fight.

There are no good guys over there...and precious few victims. The victims are the kids this story started as being about in the OP. The Adults? Well..... let them fight to the death and some days I truly don't care which side is obliterated. SOME days...I think the world might be better off is a good % of BOTH sides don't survive this war.

Those who do....may know and appreciate peace when it's over.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   
I think it's important to note that not only was it Israeli Jews that began this violence, but it was also an Israeli Jew that pulled the Arab boy to safety.

Culture and religion have a major role to play in how these people act, but there is also the choices we make as individuals.

It's easy to demonize the Jews and the Palestinians....but it is the acts of individuals and the choices they make that we need to concentrate on.

This event should make us all understand that both sides are capable of violence and neither side is better than the other.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by sheepslayer247

I think it's important to note that not only was it Israeli Jews that began this violence, but it was also an Israeli Jew that pulled the Arab boy to safety.

Agreed, I probably should have mentioned that, thanks. Israeli eye witnesses were clearly shocked by the scene, it was they who described it as a lynching.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join