It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man arrested at Best Buy for paying in $2 bills

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   
The local Dog Track pays the winner with $2 Bills. I have 30 of them from a trip there last year, but decided not to spend them because of their rarity. But after reading this post, I'm going to BEST BUY and purchase something small with a few of the bills just to see what happens.

The guy who is the subject of this thread will collect MILLIONS of dollars for the pain, suffering and humiliation Best Buy, The Police, and the US Govt put him through. From what I read, he has resources and smarts. Gosh I love it when dumbos get sued. Even better, the Best Buy clerk (and hopefully her manager) are now out of work. Gotta love America when it comes to punishing stupidity!

-CWM

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex
reply to post by ReadyPower

Just another example of the failed educational system within the US.

The thing that grates my nerves is that this service rep will probably end up being a store manager at some point.

If not President of the United Statea..

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by fusionhunter

Originally posted by Xtrozero
Holy crap...you can't pay with 2 dollar bills...everyone knows that, because someone just might need to do some mental math.... The police should have shot him...
Yea but first they should have tazed him, do some shouting, taze him again and then shoot him an unnecessary amount of times. Then claim they thought suspect had a gun.

They most likely keep a handful of 2 dollar bills "just in case". Shoot the guy and sprinkle some 2 dollar bills around him and they are set....

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 10:07 PM
link   
The ink used on real currency never dries, so if you rub it on some white paper there will be a smudge.. Also, notice how your fingers feel grimey after counting all of your benjamins? That's the ink.

Counterfit bills' ink dries and doesn't smudge when rubbed. The "ink smearing" should have been the 2nd or 3rd clue that the bills were genuine.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   
I get about 100 in 2's and 25 in $1 coins when i go to a swap meet to sell. It usually gets people to visit my table. The ignorance is incredible. It's getting so bad it is like it's plastic or you are a criminal. UFB!

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 10:14 PM
link   
It's very apparent form this story that students learn NOTHING about money in school. NOTHING. I wonder how much they learn about credit cards, though.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Scary to think that cashiers, who see money every day, question the legality of a $2 bill. No, you don't see them a lot, but anyone working around money should know they are not fake.
Think I'll go to the bank tomorrow, get a few and see who questions it when I use them to pay for something.
What a bunch of idiots. Not just the workers, the cops too. Apparently they are just as ignorant.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Not surprising coming from the Baltimore Sun. A great paper. My grandma used to give us $2 bills all the time. I still have them. If you look, they say 'legal tender' just like any other bill. What I don't understand is why was the Secret Service brought in?

Can you imagine if he wiped out one of those million dollar bills? The Swat team would have been called.
edit on 21-8-2012 by SepticSheepHerder because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
A little nervous he says?? Thats all this is a sign of? No, they aren't a little nervous. They are A LOT tripping on power and their ability to exercise it, even when there is a much easier solution for all involved. How pathetic for all involved....and ignorance of $2 bills is unforgivable. Heck, I've got a bunch and the ones which came at the same times are sequential. So? millions of people have them......but he gets his day ruined and humiliated like some punk...because Best Buy can't manage to train their people to even a basic level and the Police are power tripping to beat hell.

Did the cop even THINK of calling the bank?? If this guy was telling the truth (Which, obviously he WAS) that number of $2 from the same bank would surely be unique enough for just about everyone there to have heard about in general office talk.

A Phone Call? or Arrest a citizen that may VERY well have done nothing wrong? Well.. Whats the question? Arrest of course!
I hope he sues their tails off. Both of them.
edit on 21-8-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

And people wonder why Best Buy is going down fast. I say not fast enough.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by orionthehunter

Obviously the store clerk and policemen were wrong and lacked training in identifying legal tender currency.
Probably, but the point was not the $2 bills, it was the smearing. I can see why the clerk would have been pissed about having to count 57 bills though. I can see her irritation translating to checking each bill in "retaliation" for the customers "protest". Great way to protest, do something to someone who had nothing to do with your problem.

The whole thing got out of hand.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Go in Jack in the Box and order one order of tacos, and watch the confusion begin........ you know what I mean.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   
I guess the moral of the story is, there's a lot of different kinds of bills and coins wherever you live and some of them have been obsolete for over a decade or two. When you try to purchase something with such an old bill, people begin to question the legitimacy. After all, not all bills if any had watermarks and the like back then and could easily be forged.

So if you're a clerk and you don't know whether or not the bill is legitimate, ask your boss. Otherwise, you might lose hours or your job or have to pay for it out of pocket. For those that keep this kind of money, if you really want to use it, go and exchange it or deposit it in the bank before doing so. It makes sense to why there are many people in the world confused about legal currency. After all, there's a huge market for counterfeit money and old bills are the easiest to counterfeit from what I've read.

Just because it's legal, doesn't mean you shouldn't use your head. Think ahead, don't just do things because it's legal or you might get your time wasted.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Let’s look at the levels of stupidity here not counting the checkout clerk. No one had access to the internet, which would have easily validated the bills at the store? Some of them are worth more than two dollars. If the clerk had a brain she would have paid the bill and kept the money. I'm sure the clerk did not call the police. That means no one at the store or within the police chain of command new of such a thing. This could have easily been resolved without ruining the gentleman’s day. What does 9/11 have to do with it? What was the final outcome?

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Sorry, it's just stupidity all around.

Like the clerk cares if a guy is protesting in paying with 2 dollar bills or pennies or dollars. No one was smart in this.. from the consumer, to the clerk, to the police. Sad.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by ReadyPower
My last experience with Best Buy: My brothers and my friend and I went there as teenagers, and we started looking at CDs ... well, I guess they thought we were going to steal because literally the ENTIRE time there employees kept coming up to us asking the same question "if we needed help.

I have that experience literally every time I go there.

When I'm in an electronics store I like to take my time and look around at the new tech. Maybe I'm just a nerd, but that's fun to me. You can't do that in Best Buy because you are constantly harassed. I'm guessing that they work on commission.

I avoid them whenever possible...and they wonder why they have to close so many of their stores.

As for this incident, I can almost understand a young person who has never seen a 2 dollar bill not knowing that they exist, but a cop ARRESTING THE GUY!? Seriously??

And that 9/11 comment was probably the stupidest thing ever uttered.
edit on 8/22/2012 by AntiNWO because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 01:20 AM
link   

A man trying to pay a fee using $2 bills was arrested, handcuffed and taken to jail after clerks at a Best Buy store questioned the currency’s legitimacy and called police.
According to an account in the Baltimore Sun, 57-year-old Mike Bolesta was shocked to find himself taken to the Baltimore County lockup in Cockeysville, Md., where he was handcuffed to a pole for three hours while the U.S. Secret Service was called to weigh in on the case. Bolesta told the Sun: “I am 6 feet 5 inches tall, and I felt like 8 inches high. To be handcuffed, to have all those people looking on, to be cuffed to a pole – and to know you haven’t done anything wrong. And me, with a brother, Joe, who spent 33 years on the city police force. It was humiliating.”

After Best Buy personnel reportedly told Bolesta he would not be charged for the installation of a stereo in his son’s car, he received a call from the store saying it was in fact charging him the fee. As a means of protest, Bolesta decided to pay the $114 bill using 57 crisp, new $2 bills. As the owner of Capital City Student Tours, the Baltimore resident has a hearty supply of the uncommon currency. He often gives the bills to students who take his tours for meal money. “The kids don’t see that many $2 bills, so they think this is the greatest thing in the world,” Bolesta says. “They don’t want to spend ‘em. They want to save ‘em. I’ve been doing this since I started the company. So I’m thinking, ‘I’ll stage my little comic protest. I’ll pay the $114 with $2 bills.’”

Bolesta explained what happened when he presented the bills to the cashier at Best Buy Feb. 20.

“She looked at the $2 bills and told me, ‘I don’t have to take these if I don’t want to.’ I said, ‘If you don’t, I’m leaving. I’ve tried to pay my bill twice. You don’t want these bills, you can sue me.’ So she took the money – like she’s doing me a favor.”

Bolesta says the cashier marked each bill with a pen. Other store employees began to gather, a few of them asking, “Are these real?”

“Of course they are,” Bolesta said. “They’re legal tender.”

link www.wnd.com...

Mod Note (This Appears On Every New Thread/Post Reply Page): MEMBERS: Do not simply post news articles in the forums without comment. If you feel inclined to make the board aware of current events, please post the first paragraph, a link to the entire story, AND your opinion, twist or take on the news item.

edit on 8/21/2012 by semperfortis because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 01:22 AM
link   

A man trying to pay a fee using $2 bills was arrested, handcuffed and taken to jail after clerks at a Best Buy store questioned the currency’s legitimacy and called police.
According to an account in the Baltimore Sun, 57-year-old Mike Bolesta was shocked to find himself taken to the Baltimore County lockup in Cockeysville, Md., where he was handcuffed to a pole for three hours while the U.S. Secret Service was called to weigh in on the case. Bolesta told the Sun: “I am 6 feet 5 inches tall, and I felt like 8 inches high. To be handcuffed, to have all those people looking on, to be cuffed to a pole – and to know you haven’t done anything wrong. And me, with a brother, Joe, who spent 33 years on the city police force. It was humiliating.”

After Best Buy personnel reportedly told Bolesta he would not be charged for the installation of a stereo in his son’s car, he received a call from the store saying it was in fact charging him the fee. As a means of protest, Bolesta decided to pay the $114 bill using 57 crisp, new $2 bills. As the owner of Capital City Student Tours, the Baltimore resident has a hearty supply of the uncommon currency. He often gives the bills to students who take his tours for meal money. “The kids don’t see that many $2 bills, so they think this is the greatest thing in the world,” Bolesta says. “They don’t want to spend ‘em. They want to save ‘em. I’ve been doing this since I started the company. So I’m thinking, ‘I’ll stage my little comic protest. I’ll pay the $114 with $2 bills.’”

Bolesta explained what happened when he presented the bills to the cashier at Best Buy Feb. 20.

“She looked at the $2 bills and told me, ‘I don’t have to take these if I don’t want to.’ I said, ‘If you don’t, I’m leaving. I’ve tried to pay my bill twice. You don’t want these bills, you can sue me.’ So she took the money – like she’s doing me a favor.”

Bolesta says the cashier marked each bill with a pen. Other store employees began to gather, a few of them asking, “Are these real?”

“Of course they are,” Bolesta said. “They’re legal tender.”

link www.wnd.com...

Mod Note (This Appears On Every New Thread/Post Reply Page): MEMBERS: Do not simply post news articles in the forums without comment. If you feel inclined to make the board aware of current events, please post the first paragraph, a link to the entire story, AND your opinion, twist or take on the news item.

edit on 8/21/2012 by semperfortis because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 01:27 AM
link   
we can install you hardware but we cant make heads or tail out of a real bill , lol, and thats why i dont let them touch my toys, EVER

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 01:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by coyotepoet
Wow, just, wow! I knew people were getting stupider and stupider what with the proliferation of "reality shows" but that takes the cake. I once asked a Taco Bell cashier if they accepted Hawaiian money and was told they only accept US dollars. Sad really.

Mate in Australia we used to have a $2 note but replaced it with a $2 coin which is almost the same size as a 10c coin. In bad lighting it is difficullt to distinguish the two. I weed the 10c coins out of my purse so I know what I'm giving away. So sorry about what happened to our original poster. Please get those $2 notes out there in circulation so the totally ignorant understand what legal tender really is.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 02:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrumsRfun
reply to post by MrSpad

Exactly!!
Do people really think a cashier doesn't know what a 2 dollar bill looks like??
I replied to this thread my unpopular opinion on page 2 to help people cut through the BS.

I would have a red flag as well with 57 2$ bills with some smears.
Add him acting like a jackass and you get another variable to this story.

Back in the mid nineties, we were given $60 in $2 bills still stuck together and yes, we accepted them with no hesitation. In fact, we still have them in an envelope, still stuck together never torn apart.

But I have to say that these young kids today, some any way, have never seen a $2 bill. We'll leave some for a tip and the waitress looks at it like it's funny money and we'll tell her it's real but we can tell she's not so sure.

These young kids can't even count change back correctly without the register telling them what the change is supposed to be. Throw in a $2 bill, and holy cow, they get a brain freeze.

Off topic but a young man about 26 years old didn't even know who Clint Eastwood is. Pitiful.
I'll have to see if he's ever seen a $2 dollar bill. Probably not......

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join